(Topic ID: 17028)

I'm sick of Superhero Themes ... Who's With Me!

By pinbill_blocked

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fepred.jpg
    vixens_ted.jpg
    Wonder_Woman.jpg
    Wonder_Womann.jpg
    ds_Cover_copy.jpg
    THE_DEADLY_SPAWN_art_uk_tsm.jpg
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Let's see an original theme, besides Jpoops 10K game.

#2 11 years ago

Not me : )

More!!!!

#3 11 years ago

Crickets...

#4 11 years ago

no shit. i guess everyone likes superheros!
    Okay, i'm on board then. Bring on the Toxic Avenger!

#5 11 years ago

I am. Hopefully Stern will release something with a has-been rock band theme next! That would be awesome!

#6 11 years ago

Amen brother. Somehow pinball turned into a nerdy, geeky hobby. Special when lit was pretty accurate. It is, what it is.

#7 11 years ago

somehow stern is still in business so they must be doing something right. or it may just cost very little to make these games and the designers make 30k a year.

#8 11 years ago

I don't mind the super hero pins, but I would like to see a little more diversity with the themes. That's why something like Resident Evil would be nice. It's completely different than anything Stern has done before.

#9 11 years ago

Love to see a theme with sexy girls

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's why something like Resident Evil would be nice

Agreed!! Awesome theme. That or Underworld.

#11 11 years ago

A Toxie theme would be the most money Troma has seen in probably 15 years.

I'll take class of Nuke'em High for the impossible theme.

#12 11 years ago

I'd like an NFL machine which is devoted to the Super Bowl. At the beginning of each game, the player would select any of the past Super Bowl champs to represent during game play.

I am sure licensing costs would be through the roof, but I would buy one.

#13 11 years ago

I'm so with you on this.....I sware the goodie bags should come matching underoos or footed P.Js.Scott

#14 11 years ago

Superhero pins are okay with me. All of them have been very solid games, and I love the themes.

Count me in for more of them. Much preferred over a TV show theme, or band that saw its popularity peak a few decades ago.

#15 11 years ago

....or a Deadly Spawn Pin.....just sayin'....

THE_DEADLY_SPAWN_art_uk_tsm.jpgTHE_DEADLY_SPAWN_art_uk_tsm.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Deadly Spawn pin would be my first NIB. That movie is top tier on my DVD stack.

Who's the superhero in that movie? The humans? or The Worms?

#17 11 years ago

The Ultimate Eating Machine, of course...

ds_Cover_copy.jpgds_Cover_copy.jpg

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShawn:

Hopefully Stern will release something with a has-been rock band theme next! That would be awesome!

LOL... and spit up my coffee... THANKS PinballShawn!

#19 11 years ago

Bogus!

BM, BMFE, JD, SM, BMDK, IM and Next one in the last 20 years?

7 in 20 years is a lot?

How long have people asked for X-Men and or Avengers?

X-Men comics have been around almost 40 years!

Many comic themes are past due!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShawn:

I am. Hopefully Stern will release something with a has-been rock band theme next! That would be awesome!

Iron Maiden deserves a legit machine.
    They're not has beens as well as they sell out gigs around the world and put on new music still.

#21 11 years ago

I'd like to see original non-licensed themes make a comeback. Not superhero, not a movie, not a rock band... some of the best pin themes were self-themed and completely original. Even those which come close or 'borrow' a theme (AFM=Mars Attacks, MM=Monty Python-ish) were superb.

#22 11 years ago

It would appear the days of original themed pinball machines are over my friends. Notice JJP’s supposed original theme (machine #2) was replaced with the Hobbit as well. I think the only way you will see original themed machines is if more people start building their own games, but those would all be small runs or one offs. It costs a lot of money to manufacture pinball machines, so Stern has to go for what they think will generate sales in order to offset their production costs.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Bogus!
    BM, BMFE, JD, SM, BMDK, IM and Next one in the last 20 years?
    7 in 20 years is a lot? Many comic themes are past due!

Good point!

#24 11 years ago

How about no more licensed themes? How about an original theme not based on any existing IP?

Why not? The money guys believe it won't make any money unless the pin's theme is an estiblashed license.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #26 11 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

They're not has beens as well as they sell out gigs around the world and put on new music still.

So does Barry Manilow.

Do you think he should be on a pin?

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinbill_blocked:

Bring on the Toxic Avenger!

I already said this. I swear I saw a pic of Gary with a mop and bucket. It must be in the works.

#28 11 years ago

And look at the pins that cost the most.....BBB, MM, that Zombieland Thingy....

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

HighProtein said:

So does Barry Manilow.

Are you kidding? Mandy is a classic

Stern has already made one Iron Maiden machine, although not for the band.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

It costs a lot of money to manufacture pinball machines, so Stern has to go for what they think will generate sales in order to offset their production costs.

Agreed. It's business after all. Spiderman as a theme didn't personally excite me at first, but after playing that game, I wanted one very badly. If another superhero theme pin can exceed what they did on Spiderman, sign me up!

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

I'd like to see original non-licensed themes make a comeback.

+1 Original non-licensed themes are actually really difficult - and tend to put a lot of focus on the board layout and ruleset. An original theme would certainly be based on some general theme - billiards, cars, aircraft, some sport, clowns, etc etc etc (unless you take the 80s Gott approach and do knock-offs). Now try and pick a general theme that would be appealing that hasn't been done at least once. Somehow I don't think a basket weaving or water ballet theme would generate a lot of buzz even with original artwork. Licensed themes (in terms of artwork) are much easier to produce as basis of the the artwork are generally available and simply need to be designed into the game. They are likely something of a wash on costs - where the licensed theme has licensing costs (but an expected amount of buzz built in), the time and expense of generating all original artwork is also costly as well as uncertain as to appeal. Licensed themes tend to allow the game play and ruleset to get more attention (read, more of a limited production budget in time and dollars).

#32 11 years ago

I was always confused as to why stern keeps making these comic book/superhero themes still, I mean 8 year old boys could care less about pinball for the most part. Id love to see more titles geared to adult men considering thats who is buying and playing them now. ACDC is a step in the right direction in my opinion.

#33 11 years ago

PINBALL: ...it's not for kids anymore! (sorta true)

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

PinballShawn said:

Should of been maiden instead of acdc. I'm sure a hack is down the line where you can remove or replace the 12 tracks on acdc. It would be nice to have some old priest, maiden, metallica, motorhead in the mix. Add your favorite band etc. Would be cool to hear six feet under's acdc tribute songs on the pin. That's hardcore.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

HighProtein said:They're not has beens as well as they sell out gigs around the world and put on new music still.
    So does Barry Manilow.

Maybe it can have a Barry toy playing the piano that comes off just a touch creepier than the Elvis toy...

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

I was always confused as to why stern keeps making these comic book/superhero themes still, I mean 8 year old boys could care less about pinball for the most part.

Heck, all of us Generation X dorks that grew up with Commodore 64's and tons of comic books are a large chuck of the buyers market now.

8 year old comic lovers grow up to be adults that like comic themed pinball machines. That's now.

Nice backhanded dig in order to compare superhero fans to eight-year-old boys, though. I should probably talk about how I don't understand why Stern keeps making themes like AC/DC and Rolling Stones, because the elderly don't care about pins, either.

=)

Pete

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Maybe it can have a Barry toy playing the piano that comes off just a touch creepier than the Elvis toy...

Even creepier - Liberace. But imagine the fabulous toys!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

HighProtein said:PinballShawn said:
    Should of been maiden instead of acdc.

Well if we're to talk about bands that should have a pinball machine, I have to bring up Judas Priest. Once the fastest band signed to a major label, their music (in their heyday) really lends itself to pinball IMO. So does the album art of Doug Johnson (screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith).

+1 on Iron Maiden though, of course. Goes without saying really.

#39 11 years ago

The key word is Fabulous.

Now seriously bring on the Led Zep!!!!!!

#41 11 years ago

How about a unlicensed game and the game is sold at discount (in comparison to other new games) due to not having to pay licensing fees.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

How about a unlicensed game and the game is sold at discount (in comparison to other new games) due to not having to pay licensing fees.

Yay, 50 bucks off. Gary has stated that the licenses aren't very expensive. It is the recognition, they are after. Unlicensed is not likely from Stern.

#43 11 years ago

It may not be very expensive, but it makes you beholden to the licensors down the line every time you want to do a rerun, make replacement parts, update the code...

#44 11 years ago

If they take AC/DC and rework it as the Beatles (FG/Shrek Style), it will be the number one selling pin of all time. They could sell 20K of them easy. Yep, I said it. More than TAF.

I might even start a thread on the subject. Maybe someone at Stern will read it.

#46 11 years ago

Let's not forget that both Gary and Jack are still aggressively going after the operator market. The fact of the matter is that in this day and age, a licensed pin has a much better chance of earning on location than a non-licensed one.

#47 11 years ago

My favorite pins are the ones that don't really have a movie based theme..

Example: taxi. It's just a pin about picking people up. OR, pinbot. How unique is that?

Do we really need a movie or band to craft a pin after? Where did all the creativity go?

#48 11 years ago

What about giant size pinball? One where the playfield is the length of a football field and you're put inside one of those human/hamster balls.

#49 11 years ago

I am getting bored of film licenses (especially superheros) and bands. I wondered if Stern were going with superheros to try to get younger players interested.

If you want diverse games, honestly I think your best bet at the moment is to keep an eye on the independant makers.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I'd like an NFL machine which is devoted to the Super Bowl. At the beginning of each game, the player would select any of the past Super Bowl champs to represent during game play.

I am sure licensing costs would be through the roof, but I would buy one.

or any of the 32 NFL teams. I'd pay for a Chargers LE pin.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-sick-of-superhero-themes-whos-with-me/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.