• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

For anyone who owns or plays a lot of IM:

When the ball is plunged, and, after exiting the pops to the right, does the ball come down the right side and typically hit the sling shot, or is it a clean feed to the right flipper?

I'm pretty sure my machine is balanced, but unless I bang on the cabinet, it's not a clean feed to the flipper and will hit the right sling first. Now, if it's traveling around the orbit very fast (shot from the right flipper to the left orbit, making it all the way around), it's a clean feed and doesn't hit the sling first. Also, if I remember correctly, in Bowen's tutorial he slaps the right side of the cabinet to avoid the ball hitting the sling.

So, I think that's normal on a balanced machine, but wanted to check with others....

#2 11 years ago

hits the slings.. common but frustrating if you cant pop the machine to help it miss the sling

#3 11 years ago

Mine skims the sling but doesn't trigger it.

#4 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure I have to give the machine a little push to avoid the sling. A lot of this is going to be dependant on the pitch of the machine. If it's shallow, it will be more likely to clear the slings. If it's deep, gravity will draw it toward the sling.

#5 11 years ago

I find that plunging the ball on IM often won't even make it to the top, and falls down right orbit. My experience is typically on routed games. Is this typical with HUO? Or is this a one time dial in?

#6 11 years ago

My IM only has 100 plays and the plunger won't make it to the top. Is this a common Stern problem? Do I need new plunger or spring/part?? Thanks

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

My IM only has 100 plays and the plunger won't make it to the top. Is this a common Stern problem? Do I need new plunger or spring/part?? Thanks

Sounds like you need to adjust your shooter. Check to see that the tip of the shooter rod is lined up directly with the center of the ball in the shooter lane. Ive had to adjust a couple in the past on NIB sterns.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

For anyone who owns or plays a lot of IM:
When the ball is plunged, and, after exiting the pops to the right, does the ball come down the right side and typically hit the sling shot, or is it a clean feed to the right flipper?
I'm pretty sure my machine is balanced, but unless I bang on the cabinet, it's not a clean feed to the flipper and will hit the right sling first. Now, if it's traveling around the orbit very fast (shot from the right flipper to the left orbit, making it all the way around), it's a clean feed and doesn't hit the sling first. Also, if I remember correctly, in Bowen's tutorial he slaps the right side of the cabinet to avoid the ball hitting the sling.
So, I think that's normal on a balanced machine, but wanted to check with others....

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/iron-man/

Bowen shows you a tip with how to deal with the ball coming down and grazing the sling.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Mine skims the sling but doesn't trigger it.

Mine does the same.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sounds like you need to adjust your shooter. Check to see that the tip of the shooter rod is lined up directly with the center of the ball in the shooter lane. Ive had to adjust a couple in the past on NIB sterns.

Thanks

#11 11 years ago

My shooter will make it all the way to the up post every time. In fact, it takes all the skill out of the skill shot, since It will always bounce off the post and land in the left lane. Is there any way to disable the post in the settings so you can actually overshoot the skill shot? That would be much better.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I find that plunging the ball on IM often won't even make it to the top, and falls down right orbit. My experience is typically on routed games. Is this typical with HUO?

This is typical with the later produced games, I believe. They toned down the strength of the springs on the shooter to attempt to make the skill shot get some skill, I think. I know that when I was initially playing it on the early machines, the plunger really shot it up there. On my late-production machine, it barely makes it up. Those with late-production machines that I know have the same thing, while those with the earlier ones go slamming into that up post every time.

#13 11 years ago

Yes, you can disable the post in the game settings. Much better that way.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My shooter will make it all the way to the up post every time. In fact, it takes all the skill out of the skill shot, since It will always bounce off the post and land in the left lane. Is there any way to disable the post in the settings so you can actually overshoot the skill shot? That would be much better.

Yes. Disable that post. It opens the flow of the whole game making it considerably faster moving and more fun to play. The orbits will always flow.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yes, you can disable the post in the game settings. Much better that way.

Plus it makes the "skill" shot more meaningful.

#16 11 years ago

Give it a small smack on the way down. I learned this from the Papa video.

He mentions it around 1:50.

#17 11 years ago

I disabled the up post in the settings, and it does greatly improve the overall flow of the game. The only negative is that the ball is never directed into the pops anymore. I wish there was a way disable it only during the skill shot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.