Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jigs
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Im opening a sub shop that will have Beatles, Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden, Stranger Things, and Star Wars Comic. All pros. Ive been a collector for 8 years and can do basic repairs and maintainence. What are some additional precautions and items I can implement now that will help the life of the machines and playing quality? Any tips and info is greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

I just replaced the coil stops on my Jurassic Park pro. Seems like that has been a defective part on some newer sterns. My other sterns on location have been solid. I also have DBV on all my pins.

#3 4 years ago

Mylar for high wear areas & metal protectors for holes. Mylar on the shooter lane. PETG washers for the plastics, or game-specific plastics protectors. Mylar around the flipper buttons to prevent paint cabinet paint wear. Metal cabinet protectors for the legs.

Clean, wax, and replace balls frequently, depending on the amount of play.

Be prepared to check on the game frequently. Often times, problems will go unreported.

Check the coin mechs regularly for jams. Install a bill acceptor.

Keep a selection of rubbers on-hand, especially flipper rubbers. Keep a couple coil stops on-hand, as well as a flipper rebuild kit. Also consider a flipper coil and common playfield coil. A machine that's down won't be earning, so you'll want to minimize that as much as possible with a selection of some common replacement parts.

#4 4 years ago

The location I played at Saturday had a polished floor, I noticed certain machines (Ghostbusters) being easily slid sideways into other machines when people tried to save the ball. Not sure if felt floor protectors were best in this situation.

#5 4 years ago

I would go to that sub shop anytime my family wanted subs. Hell, with that lineup I would suggest subs every time the family asked was I felt like having, lol.

#6 4 years ago

Replace coil stops, balls, flipper buttons, switches in scoops, sling-shot rubbers, flipper return springs, flipper EOS switches and flipper pawls. The sockets for the #44 lamps all suck, but especially the ones under the flippers suck the worst. But if you don't mind in/outlane lights out or flickering you'll be just fine. On Stranger Things Pro that white up post thingy needs modified so it doesn't come apart and shoot up like a rocket.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Replace coil stops, balls, flipper buttons, switches in scoops, sling-shot rubbers, flipper return springs, flipper EOS switches and flipper pawls. The sockets for the #44 lamps all suck, but especially the ones under the flippers suck the worst. But if you don't mind in/outlane lights out or flickering you'll be just fine. On Stranger Things Pro that white up post thingy needs modified so it doesn't come apart and shoot up like a rocket.

Sounds like some awesome quality right there.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yeah I didn't even mention the lighting issues I'm having with insert lights that are all connected to Node 8 on DP Pro. Haven't gotten to that one quite yet.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You absolutely don't need to change all of those things. Do keep some flipper buttons,coil stops and spare rubbers on hand.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Im opening a sub shop that will have Beatles, Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden, Stranger Things, and Star Wars Comic. All pros. Ive been a collector for 8 years and can do basic repairs and maintainence. What are some additional precautions and items I can implement now that will help the life of the machines and playing quality? Any tips and info is greatly appreciated.

It seems like you are VERY optimistic on earnings. Don’t be afraid to dabble in B/W or something unique or classic (80s) instead of just tossing 30-40k in a location. Different groups like different eras! My best locations enjoy DE and sys80 or even EMs!

#11 4 years ago

Security bars and padlocks!

#12 4 years ago

I am curious if anyone has put hidden GPS devices on their route machines? They are getting pretty cheap these days.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

$1 Play or $2/3 Plays at a minimum.

#14 4 years ago

70 percent or more take your end. Cameras, try southpark or fishtails.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

70 percent or more take your end. Cameras, try southpark or fishtails.

From the sounds of it, he’s is the owner of the location

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for all the info and replies.
    The 4 new sterns are purchased by me and will live in the Sub Shop that is owned by me. Im also bringing Iron Maiden and Stargate from my collection. Opening spring 2020 in Asheville NC
    I have a operator whom is bringing Guns n Roses, Space Shuttle, Wizard, and Elvira party monsters.
    10 pins total plus Skee Ball, Track ball bowling, Mame on free play, and Toy shocks Gottlieb virtual pin.

What is the best parts distributer?
    Ive used Marco in the past, but find their website had to navigate.

#17 4 years ago

Even though the games have been in your private collection, pull up the playfields and tighten all the screws, nuts, etc.

#18 4 years ago

In a location where there are people around all the time wouldn't worry
    about vandalism that much. But with high dollar games like this I'd
    be concerned about theft when your shop is closed. Put in a good
    alarm system at the very least.

Had a few games on location for several years and you'll probably
    go through a period of dealing with small problems for a while.
    It takes time to 'harden' games that are on location.
    Steve

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

For modern machines, it's Marco Specialties and Pinball Life.

Naturally, don't forget the parts department of your local Stern Pinball distributor. They have quite a bit of parts "on the shelf" locally for sale. There are two distributors in Charlotte.

Player One Amusement Group
    1920 Center Park Drive, Charlotte, North Carolina 28217
    https://www.winwithp1ag.com/

Betson (has branch offices all over the USA)
    2701 Hutchinson McDonald Road Suite M, Charlotte, North Carolina 28269 phone 704-921-2212
    http://www.betson.com/

#20 4 years ago

A local operator puts playfield protectors on all his new games. No playfield ware and very few dimples. Great for resale value.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Thanks for all the info and replies.
    The 4 new sterns are purchased by me and will live in the Sub Shop that is owned by me. Im also bringing Iron Maiden and Stargate from my collection. Opening spring 2020 in Asheville NC
    I have a operator whom is bringing Guns n Roses, Space Shuttle, Wizard, and Elvira party monsters.
    10 pins total plus Skee Ball, Track ball bowling, Mame on free play, and Toy shocks Gottlieb virtual pin.

In general pinball life has all the important parts in stock and very fast special order process if you need something weird. They also are usually cheaper than Marco.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

It seems like you are VERY optimistic on earnings. Don’t be afraid to dabble in B/W or something unique or classic (80s) instead of just tossing 30-40k in a location. Different groups like different eras! My best locations enjoy DE and sys80 or even EMs!

This is a big one. In my experience there's still a sizable portion of potential players that get turned off when they see $1 per play; no matter how many bonuses you toss at them. So it's good to have a B/W at 75 cents or an early solid state at 50 to offer this group.

Plus some folks seem to be "intimidated" by modern pins. I'm talking absolute normies here, people who've barely or if ever even touched a pinball before in their life. These folks always seem to gravitate towards games like Paragon, Space Shuttle, Fire Power, etc.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Leeezard:

This is a big one. In my experience there's still a sizable portion of potential players that get turned off when they see $1 per play; no matter how many bonuses you toss at them. So it's good to have a B/W at 75 cents or an early solid state at 50 to offer this group.
    Plus some folks seem to be "intimidated" by modern pins. I'm talking absolute normies here, people who've barely or if ever even touched a pinball before in their life. These folks always seem to gravitate towards games like Paragon, Space Shuttle, Fire Power, etc.

The 4 new sterns are purchased by me and will live in the Sub Shop that is owned by me. Im also bringing Iron Maiden and Stargate from my collection.

The business focus is the Subs and Salads, the pinball machines are there as a "attraction"

Ill have one machine from the 70's, 2 from the 80's, 2 from the 90's, 5 modern Sterns and a free virtual pin. I feel this is a nice representation and has appeal to all people.
    Price points to match
    50 cents for the older ones, a buck for the newer ones.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

A local operator puts playfield protectors on all his new games. No playfield ware and very few dimples. Great for resale value.
    https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

Not saying that's a bad thing to do, but they re-sell fine without those. Either way there will seller takes a hit for the pin being used and it's a very similar hit.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

The 4 new sterns are purchased by me and will live in the Sub Shop that is owned by me. Im also bringing Iron Maiden and Stargate from my collection.
    The business focus is the Subs and Salads, the pinball machines are there as a "attraction"
    Ill have one machine from the 70's, 2 from the 80's, 2 from the 90's, 5 modern Sterns and a free virtual pin. I feel this is a nice representation and has appeal to all people.
    Price points to match

That's a full on arcade, not just a Sub Shop with a few games. Are you incorporating the arcade aspect into the store name? Any plans to advertise the arcade?

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

Price points to match

That's a pretty good variety. One of the nice things about early solid state games too, is that once you put the work into 'em, they are absolute tanks.

I'm curious how the virtual pin will do.

#27 4 years ago

That sounds like an arcade that sells subs and salads! Not sure about free-to-play MAME and Virtual Pins, what is the attraction except getting people to come in/hang out longer than they need to. It's not like having them in a bar where they will be constantly (hopefully) buying drinks while they are there.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Yeah I didn't even mention the lighting issues I'm having with insert lights that are all connected to Node 8 on DP Pro. Haven't gotten to that one quite yet.

check the serial data connectors. It was a 0.100" connector problem on my iron maiden making inserts light wrong.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

check the serial data connectors. It was a 0.100" connector problem on my iron maiden making inserts light wrong.

I went yesterday to look at it. The top lane lights and about 2/3rds of the main pf lights were out. As soon as I touched CN13 on Node 8 they flickered. So I only had time to reseat it and see if that works. If not I'll have to pull the node and see if there are any cracked solder joints.

#30 4 years ago

I’ve had the most success with GOTG just a heads up.

Good luck! You might not make a ton of money but it sure is fun!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I went yesterday to look at it. The top lane lights and about 2/3rds of the main pf lights were out. As soon as I touched CN13 on Node 8 they flickered. So I only had time to reseat it and see if that works. If not I'll have to pull the node and see if there are any cracked solder joints.

If there are you have to remove the original solder as it will not want to mix well with 60/40 leaded solder. I got joints that looked like lava rocks under until I sucked off all the original solder.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

If there are you have to remove the original solder as it will not want to mix well with 60/40 leaded solder. I got joints that looked like lava rocks under until I sucked off all the original solder.

Good to know. I'll take my desoldering station along. Thanks.

#33 4 years ago

Sterns coin mechs have failed on me on both DP and GB right out the box pretty much.
    This rad operator Kyle hooked me up with Imonex and have had no issues since!

#34 4 years ago

Sterns coin mechs have failed on me on both DP and GB right out the box pretty much.
    This rad operator Kyle hooked me up with a set of Imonex’ and have had no issues since!

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Borntolose:

This rad operator Kyle hooked me up with a set of Imonex’ and have had no issues since!

Imonex are the best in the business.. I think Stern is using happ controls coin mechs which I find to be acceptable but not nearly as good as Imonex.

being that you are in NC I think Marco is going to be your fastest source of parts. Most big distributors (Betson, ect) keep almost no parts on hand anymore (we are the exception to that)

Plan on visiting the machines once a week, and checking them out. Keep spare rubbers, Balls, flipper coils, fuses, flipper rebuild kits, coil stops, drop targets play field wax and cleaner. You may not need to visit as often but its always good to start solid. Also every time you are there clean the glass of the pinball.

Always keep a tool box, Keys and spare parts kit in your car. Never know when you are going to get the call

JJ

#36 4 years ago

I hope it works for you, but I'd have a number of concerns trying to open a shop with that much space dedicated to pinball and not to your core product. Sub shops are primarily busy during the lunch time hours. Most people on a lunch break aren't going to have enough time to play a game or two. Are you taking seating space away from your customers to place pinball machines, and are they separated from the dining area? some patrons may not appreciate the background noise. Do you offer free refills on soda? Expect those costs to go up. I think you're going to end up with 2 different types of customers, that may not mix well. The lunch crowd that just wants to eat and get back to work, and the pinballer who comes to play the games and may or may not buy something.

I'm not trying to crap on your plan, I really hope it works. But as others have pointed out, barcades do well because the arcade aspect keeps them at the bar longer and buying drinks. Not sure how that will equate the same to a sub shop.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from curiusgeorge:

I hope it works for you, but I'd have a number of concerns trying to open a shop with that much space dedicated to pinball and not to your core product. Sub shops are primarily busy during the lunch time hours. Most people on a lunch break aren't going to have enough time to play a game or two. Are you taking seating space away from your customers to place pinball machines, and are they separated from the dining area? some patrons may not appreciate the background noise. Do you offer free refills on soda? Expect those costs to go up. I think you're going to end up with 2 different types of customers, that may not mix well. The lunch crowd that just wants to eat and get back to work, and the pinballer who comes to play the games and may or may not buy something.
    I'm not trying to crap on your plan, I really hope it works. But as others have pointed out, barcades do well because the arcade aspect keeps them at the bar longer and buying drinks. Not sure how that will equate the same to a sub shop.

i have taken all of these factors into account. Ive run all the numbers many times never factoring in pinball revenue.
    I will be working at the shop 50-60 hours a week and will have an area in the office on site that will have back up parts and tools.
    the machines are in a separate area and do not take away seating, as we have enough seats that almost meets our max capacity per the state occupancy to sq ft ratio.
    We also serve craft beer and wine.
    The main and only focus from a business standpoint is the subs and salads, as stated before the pinball is a gimmick and attraction. I do hope to build a pinball community and will have leagues that would be going on in the evening hours. I also plan on having certain machines on free play during "pinball happy hour" on a certain days of the week. Tournaments every other month, launch parties and other events to coincide with the pinball machines.

I appreciate the business tips and recommendations, but this endeavor has been researched thoroughly and taken into account numerous financial and logistical elements.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

That sounds like an arcade that sells subs and salads! Not sure about free-to-play MAME and Virtual Pins, what is the attraction except getting people to come in/hang out longer than they need to. It's not like having them in a bar where they will be constantly (hopefully) buying drinks while they are there.

we sell craft beer and wine
    hanging out playing pinball by purchasing credits is fine by me.

#39 4 years ago

Put rubber feet on the front of the game. When you level the game put an extra but on the leveler inside the leg and crank it down with a wrench. Some jokers will try to make the game more shallow.

Mylar up as others have said and maybe go through the game to make sure all screws are nice and tight.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

i have taken all of these factors into account. Ive run all the numbers many times never factoring in pinball revenue.
    I will be working at the shop 50-60 hours a week and will have an area in the office on site that will have back up parts and tools.
    the machines are in a separate area and do not take away seating, as we have enough seats that almost meets our max capacity per the state occupancy to sq ft ratio.
    We also serve craft beer and wine.
    The main and only focus from a business standpoint is the subs and salads, as stated before the pinball is a gimmick and attraction. I do hope to build a pinball community and will have leagues that would be going on in the evening hours. I also plan on having certain machines on free play during "pinball happy hour" on a certain days of the week. Tournaments every other month, launch parties and other events to coincide with the pinball machines.
    I appreciate the business tips and recommendations, but this endeavor has been researched thoroughly and taken into account numerous financial and logistical elements.

In that case, good luck and wish you were closer!

#41 4 years ago

Congrats man! Give me a ring sometime and catch me up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-putting-brand-new-sterns-on-location-what-are-some-precautions-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.