(Topic ID: 118617)

I'm pathetic,I closed the outlanes on WOZ.

By bigduke6

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-9.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am a terrible player. I understand that. But, I've never stupid so low as touch the outlines. In my head I did it to get the family back playing it a little more. It worked. They're playing almost non-stop. It's like a new game. Most importantly, I feel like I'm playing better. I mean just look at my score!

#2 9 years ago

There is nothing wrong with narrowing the outlanes. HUO pins should be set up for fun before anything else. I hope when you say closed you mean narrowing, rather than completely closing off the outlanes. Closing them off might be fun for a few weeks, but would wear out the fun of any game from very long ball times and the lack of a challenge.

#3 9 years ago

right behind you champ

#4 9 years ago

No shame in that...you did it for your family.

Now you just have to promise not to sell the game in a few months because it's "too easy".

#5 9 years ago

WOZ is always a short game for me, pulling in the outlanes is just a good idea. Now, should we talk about going 5 balls?

#6 9 years ago

Yes, I narrowed them. I never thought of actually "closing" the lanes. I have a picture in my head of little construction guys with flags waving off the balls.

#7 9 years ago

I came close a few times but i refuse to pull them in. I did make the outlane post on the toto lane a little larger by adding a post sleeve and then the rubber ring for the post, the result is a little tighter on the outlane but not as tight as moving the post in a notch.

I have come really close though, it is a tough game but i like it that way.

#8 9 years ago

I put my outlanes on the lowest setting all the time. It doesn't embarrass me. I buy pins to play them and have fun. Not to maximize non-existent quarter drops.

If I was good enough that I was having ridiculously long games all the time then I'd open them back up again, but I'm not.

If you prefer them open then enjoy! Same if you like them closed more.

#9 9 years ago

I agree Aurich, I bought a game off a guy who sets all his games to 5 ball and brings all his outlane posts in. Needless to say I had some very long ball times on his games. That's how he likes them though and there is nothing wrong with that.

#10 9 years ago

My guess is that a very low percentage of WOZ owners will ever beat the game / get to SOTR no matter where the outlanes are. Mine are moved in, and I still can't beat the witch

#11 9 years ago

I use the narrow outlane setting on most all my pins, its not a tournament, just good fun at home.

#12 9 years ago

Even narrowing the outlanes on WOZ leaves them fairly wide. The OP subject is misleading; closing (blocking off) the WOZ outlanes would be pathetic (imo), but just moving the posts to the narrower position still makes for a challenging game.

#13 9 years ago

Yeah, don't put rubber bands across them or something. But the games come from the factory with post options. Use them!

I don't care for 5 ball play myself.

#14 9 years ago

WOZ is brutal. Bring in the outlanes and set the game to 5 ball. It's the only one of my games set to 5, because what's the point of playing if you can't get anywhere on only 3 balls? SOTR is still out of reach, even on 10 balls...

#15 9 years ago

I should clarify, I keep my EMs on 5 ball, just not my DMDs. And WOZ kind of has a bit of that old school EM feel, I've played it on 5 ball and it felt pretty good.

#16 9 years ago

No shame whatsoever in bringing in the outlane posts, WOZ is a very tough game even at the most conservative settings.

#17 9 years ago

I can't move my left one in. The ball guide is in the way. What am I doing wrong?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I can't move my left one in. The ball guide is in the way. What am I doing wrong?

The ball guide needs to move too...take off the plastic above it.

#19 9 years ago

I narrow all of my games. Fun is better than frustrating.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You're not beating the shit out of it. A little blunt force and stupidity can solve just about anything.

#21 9 years ago

The only reason to widen/remove outlane posts is if you're good enough to be practicing for tourneys. If you're that kind of player though, all your machines will be like that and you will still be able to crank off good scores regularly.

The reason those posts are adjustable is to match the skill of the players. The audits tell the operator how many balls exit through which lane, among countless other stats, so he can make adjustments so that the player base can achieve high scores/free games on occasion to keep them coming back for more.

You could also try a plastic post instead of a mini post if it's really monstrous.

Also re-set the high scores every month or so, so your family can compete for the HS table.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're not beating the shit out of it. A little blunt force and stupidity can solve just about anything.

BEWARE! Some outlane posts have locknuts under the field.

#23 9 years ago

Interesting to hear other people's tweaks to make the games a little easier. I actually do something a little different that I find very rewarding - I set up 4 fixed replay levels that award an extra ball at decent score levels. It requires a good game to get to the first replay level, so it has the effect of extending an already good game...and you have 3 more extra balls waiting after that if you keep it going.

I like it much better than 5 ball.

#24 9 years ago

It is perfectly acceptable to setup a game in the way you find it to be the most fun. You own the games to have fun playing them, so however you like it is great.

It's also fun to change them later. Pick a game that feels a little stale, and a new setup can make it feel like a new game.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Interesting to hear other people's tweaks to make the games a little easier. I actually do something a little different that I find very rewarding - I set up 4 fixed replay levels that award an extra ball at decent score levels. It requires a good game to get to the first replay level, so it has the effect of extending an already good game...and you have 3 more extra balls waiting after that if you keep it going.
I like it much better than 5 ball.

I do this as well. Replays are meaningless at home. But I set the extra ball thresholds really high so you have to EARN them, and I leave the auto-adjustment on.

#27 9 years ago

No shame in setting the outlanes to easy. I do it on all of mine and weirdly enough, the ball still fits through them with alarming regularity!

#28 9 years ago

Yep, me too. Moved them ALL in, left, right, and the castle playfield. I get WAY more action in the castle playfield now, and my outlane drains are still there, they just arent as brutal. Loving it now more than ever.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

BEWARE! Some outlane posts have locknuts under the field.

all 3 on woz do.

#30 9 years ago

I thin the outlanes and go for 5 ball.

I'm a terrible player so this makes the games fun for me.

#31 9 years ago

Wow! You get to actually enjoy the game, what a novel concept. The left outlane on WOZ has to be the most terrible design in pinball in the last five years. I would have bought the game if they had designed it differently, I just can't get past the constant drains on that side.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Wow! You get to actually enjoy the game, what a novel concept. The left outlane on WOZ has to be the most terrible design in pinball in the last five years. I would have bought the game if they had designed it differently, I just can't get past the constant drains on that side.

It is not that bad once you learn how to nudge.

#33 9 years ago

I can nudge just fine. You can't nudge a 30 mph ball careening down the outlane from the other end of the playfield. Especially when it does it off the shooter lane eject.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I can nudge just fine. You can't nudge a 30 mph ball careening down the outlane from the other end of the playfield. Especially when it does it off the shooter lane eject.

Once I moved my posts in this doesnt happen nearly as much, and I can nudge to save it more times than not.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

Lol, classic exaggeration there. I don't think the ball gets up to 30mph , no way.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

What is the "shooter lane eject?"

#37 9 years ago

I think he's talking about the upper right flipper and how if you don't time it right, you can flip the ball right into the TNPLH outlane.

#38 9 years ago

Not judgin' anyone here, but I like my games tough. I give them ALOT of pitch and set my bumpers and switches as tight as I can get them, without them machine gunning on their own. I do set my tilt real loose though. This way I can nudge . I don't get a lot of replays but you really learn how to man handle a machine. I like it!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think he's talking about the upper right flipper and how if you don't time it right, you can flip the ball right into the TNPLH outlane.

Yeah, flailing will usually end in bad results. It's called pinball.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You cannot move the stainless ball guide because the one of the posts goes through the PF. I took mine off and used a dermal with a diamond wheel and slowly shaved the end off the guide. You cant tell that I did it. Be careful or you will burn the crap out of your fingers and discolor the stainless

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yeah, flailing will usually end in bad results. It's called pinball.

On Mars Trek, the upper flipper has almost nothing to shoot for other than the left outlane.

It makes it fun to use it as a "stopper". Get it safely to a lower flipper if you can.

image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

You cannot move the stainless ball guide because the one of the posts goes through the PF. I took mine off and used a dermal with a diamond wheel and slowly shaved the end off the guide. You cant tell that I did it. Be careful or you will burn the crap out of your fingers and discolor the stainless

The guide also moves............

#43 9 years ago

Because of the quest type nature of WOZ, it seems just logical to me to set it up so you at least have a fighting chance to advance further along the path, so having point related extra balls is a very good way to go. You can set them up just like a replay so they get harder the more you achieve them, mine is currently at 410,000, started at the standard replay score of low 200,00 IIRC, so as my scores get better, the EB gets harder.

#44 9 years ago

How does it move? I found no way to move the left stainless ball guide enough to move the post out to the third hole. lll have to look when I get home.

#45 9 years ago

I keep the left outlane popper on easy on STTNG. It pops every ball that goes down the left drain out. it gets used about as much as the flippers. I absolutely hate the machine. Worst ever.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

How does it move? I found no way to move the left stainless ball guide enough to move the post out to the third hole. lll have to look when I get home.

Remove the plastic on top and then take out the screw holding the end of the guide. You will then see another hole if i remember correctly.

#47 9 years ago

I think it's a great idea. And who cares what other people think. Plus if it gives you longer ball times, it actually will make you a better player over time since it'll help you better understand the flow of the ball and where the danger spots are on the playfield that eventually turn into a drain in the outlanes.
Best of luck to ya!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Yes you can. There is a sneaky little hole drilled in the PF purposely to accept the moved ball guide. I just did it. One would never know the hole is there unless the ball guide is removed. It could be the sneakiest hole in all of pinball.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes you can. There is a sneaky little hole drilled in the PF purposely to accept the moved ball guide. I just did it. One would never know the hole is there unless the ball guide is removed. It could be the sneakiest hole in all of pinball.

This.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-pathetici-closed-the-outlanes-on-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.