(Topic ID: 187953)

I'm Not Sure Metallica Isn't Better Than the New Sterns, but I could be wrong!

By Billy16

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Metallica better than the new Stern's?”

• Yup, this game is a good as a music pin gets. 111 votes
    54%
  • Not a chance, AC/DC--although not a newer pin, is better. 27 votes
    13%
  • Batman is better. 1 vote
  • Aerosmith is better. 9 votes
    4%
  • TWD is better. 36 votes
    17%
  • Ghost Busters is better 8 votes
    4%
  • Oribitor 1 is better than any of these. 14 votes
    7%

(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

touche (resized).jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Its not, Met is a pretty average table, a solid game for sure but nothing special, met and tron are the two highest over rated sterns.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you couldn't not remove the painful apostrophe abuse from "Stern's" we'd really not be onto nothing!

I could not do that initially, as I wasn't positive if it was correct or not, or not incorrect as it was. Thank you for the definitive answer--fixed! Now it all makes perfect sense, to a degree...

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Its not, Met is a pretty average table, a solid game for sure but nothing special, met and tron are the two highest over rated sterns.

Never trust anyone that gives ACDC their lowest rating.

#54 6 years ago

Another over rated one, that one for the rating, I think the art sucked it down alot as well, another good not great game.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Newer Sterns aren't any better than worse sterns made not after Metallica.
It's so clear!

touche (resized).jpgtouche (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago

Met for the win

#57 6 years ago

Like anything else, it's a matter of opinion. Of the Sterns I've owned I would rank them:

1. Metallica (Pro)
2. LOTR
3. Spiderman
4. Kiss (Pro)
5. RBION
6. Sopranos

I'm an excellent example of a guy with collection ADD. I'm constantly buying/selling/trading, and doing so before getting very far into most of my games. With that said, Metallica is the only game that entered my collection that I thought "Something would have to go REALLY wrong in my life in order to sell this machine." The only other machine I feel that way about is TZ (regretted selling it the first time around). I had a blast with nearly all the Stern titles I've owned/own, but Metallica is by far the most enjoyable IMO. I wouldn't mind another LOTR down the road, but I don't NEED to own it the way I do Metallica. Spiderman will likely leave within the next few months. Again, great game, but not bolted to the floor the way Met is.

#58 6 years ago

If I see all of those lined up at a show, I'm not sure I wouldn't go to Orbitor 1 first.

I'm also not sure if no Sterns not from the pre-Spike era aren't better than Star Trek Premium / LE.

#59 6 years ago

Metallica is a good game ... but isn't it pretty basic and stripped down? the layout seems like the straight up "default" layout with no modifications. the inline drop targets are the only remotely unusual element. i feel like it gets so much love at least partially because it doesn't take any chances or try anything new.

#60 6 years ago

Metallica is fun but WAY overrated. Layout is boring (except the in line drops + magnet ). And besides S&D, the code is boring and a grind. Fun to play and rock out to cause I'm a fan of the music; but after a game or two, I feel like I got my fix and can move on to play something with more strategy and replay ability

#61 6 years ago

Everyone has their own opinions on games and themes. Which is what makes this such a great hobby. For me, my MET is going nowhere. I still love it after 2 years of owning. But, on the other side, I am ready to get rid of IM after only about a year since I got it. Just doesn't do much for me. I like it, but don't love it.

1 month later
#62 6 years ago

I own a Metallica Premium and I love it so much I've chromed every single thing out from the armor to the coin door to the apron and the ramps are next not to mention every mod available!!!! Of course any pin will get boring after you play it repeatedly and that's when you should consider taking a week long break or buy a cheaper pin like my favorite Party Zone and rock it out for a while!!! I'm not a big fan of Metallica's music and the only thing I'd ever trade mine for would be a WOZ or maybe a HUO Batman 66 or Extremely nice HUO Dark Knight!

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Metallica is great, but it lacks in one area -> no "normal" modes. It's got ton's of wizard modes and a few special modes and 4 multiballs - but it skipped normal modes like TWD has, so you have to work a bit before you get anything going. It's great, but not the best ever. TWD is better, but theme is important too.

That's a feature, not a bug! Metallica is like an 'open world' pinball machine where you hang out, make a few shots, and before you know it you're having a raging good time, the music is pumping, adrenaline flowing, and everytime you drain it feels like you were one or two shots from glory.

I love the way each game is it's own 'story', so many different ways to progress on this game. Much more fun and better replay value than a pin with modes for everything, and esp. linear modes ('who brought the f'kin dog' - who cares?!).

Metallica is the only modern Stern that I was willing to shake a slot open for in my limited gameroom (so far, anyway).

TWD is interesting to me also but find it too ugly to keep in the house and I hate the giant well-walker bash toy so close to the flippers. Hitting that thing just sucks the fun out the game for me.

Props to Oribitor 1, I love games that mess with your pinball muscle-memory.

#64 6 years ago

Metallica was the last great Stern pin. Near perfection in every way. Everything since has been either mediocre, had missed potential, bad themes, bad art, or had design and/or code problems. WWE, Kiss, TWD, Mustang, ST, GOT, GB, B'66, Aerosmith...all relatively disappointing in one way or another. Metallica is prob the last Stern I'll ever buy.

**I know people are digging Aero - like most Borg's it plays smooth and fast, but it's pretty mediocre and average compared to games that came before it. It gets pretty boring pretty quick.
***I know TWD came out after Met, and I know many people love it. I don't mind it on location here and there - but the poor toys made it a disappointment to me. Hit a wall that opens up to reveal other wall - a giant head in a house? Made no sense. The giant well walker that has no mechanical movement or animation other than a limp flop from hits? The bike girl that you can't see?

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Mustang is seriously underrated. I'd put it just behind AC/DC for best music pin from Stern. Such a good game.

You said it brother! Unfortunately, these ranking threads are highly subjective due to opinions based on limited playing experience with certain games.

I'm considering getting an AC/DC VE Premium once Stern starts manufacturing them, and look forward to making my own truly objective comparison of it with other Sterns. In the meantime, Metallica and Mustang are both fun music pins that I enjoy playing a lot!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 149.00
$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-not-sure-metallica-isnt-better-than-all-the-new-sterns/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.