(Topic ID: 201147)

I'm new to pinball repair and the forum. Please help!

By SilverballSleuth

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

adj31.jpg
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a Striker Xtreme and it needs some work. A few things:

Auto launcher isn't strong enough to always get the ball in the play field.

Flippers are a little weak.

After I make a goal on the game, the ball has issues getting back up into the play field. I'm unsure of what that piece is called. Auto kicker? Ball return?

Ball has trouble making the ramps, any recommendations on leveling this game?

Do I need coil sleeves or new coils? Flipper rebuild?

I'd appreciate any advice you could give. Thank you very much.

#2 6 years ago

Where do you live? If you are near So Cal you can bring it to my place and we can fix it together so you can get some hands on experience.
Sounds like some common problems,fairly minor issues that should be easy to fix. Then it probably needs a good cleaning and wax.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Where do you live? If you are near So Cal you can bring it to my place and we can fix it together so you can get some hands on experience.
Sounds like some common problems,fairly minor issues that should be easy to fix. Then it probably needs a good cleaning and wax.

God damn us pinball guys are awesome, I have some guy who I don’t know, his pin at my house and I’m fixing it for him, for a fee that Is way to low

#4 6 years ago

cosmokramer I'm unfortunately in Massachusetts but it is very nice of you to offer.

I decided to buy a machine because I live in the forest and the closest on location pin to my location is almost an hour away. Ergo, none of my friends even want to make the drive to check out my purchase.

I have to use the internet and fix this sucker myself.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

If you lack any skills like soldering or using a meter, Youtube has lots of short how to videos.

Auto Launcher - check coil sleeve for dirt, wear, cracks, replace. Clean plunger. Check for loose or worn parts.

Flippers - I'd rebuild and start fresh. New coil sleeve, new coil stop, new plunger assembly.

Ball getting back to playfield - check for dirty or worn parts. Make sure switch in there is working. You game has a switch test - go into it and hit some switches so you learn what happens and what reports on DMD.

vid1900 has a good write up here on Pinside to rebuild flippers. You can search posts on cleaning and waxing your playfield. If you order any parts, I'd add some new balls for your game too.

Leveling game - Todd Andersen has some useful articles on Pinball News :

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/level/index.html
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/iphone2/index.html
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/iphone/index.html

And when you run into a problem. Don't get frustrated. Post here, pictures too if needed. And you'll likely get some help.

Welcome my friend, to the wonderful world of pinball.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

Given that many of your coils are weak, check your voltage at the wall.

LTG What is proper voltage at the coils on Striker Xtreme? 50v?

#7 6 years ago

As LTG says, sounds like you have some wear to the flipper / plunger mechs which cause drag and weakens flippers, ball launch, etc. Relatively easy to repair/rebuild, and will give you tremendous satisfaction.

A great starting point for DIY repair is Clay Harrell's This Old Pinball DVD's. i think they are less than 10 bucks each. He has 2 dvd's that pertain to modern games (1991 and up). Spending an hour watching will help you learn a ton. I have found them to be much better than most videos on youtube.

http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

#8 6 years ago

Is it possible with this machine to set 'coil pulse power' like some other machines ?

adj31.jpgadj31.jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What is proper voltage at the coils on

I'd check the manual, high voltage ones 50V ( might be higher not under load ) I don't know if Stern used and low power coils in that game.

I'd carefully check the wall outlet AC and then check what the game is wired for. And example of wall outlet 100AC and game wired for 120AC will give you weak coils.

Don't wire the game lower to make things stronger. Just try and match the voltages.

LTG : )

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

If pinside was a dating site, the first reponse the OP just got to his first ad was a request for him to move in with you

#11 6 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SFLKIT-2L1R

LTG - is this a good flipper kit for me to use when/if necessary?

zaza - I tried that to no avail.

My electrical panel is 100AC. Is that the issue here? What can I do about that?

#12 6 years ago

My electrical grid is 100 Amps. Is that the issue here? LTG

Also, where issue best place to get new coils, flipper kits etc.?

Thank you all very much for help, I really appreciate it.

Also, just tried turning on the coil power to high, no luck.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

If pinside was a dating site, the first reponse the OP just got to his first ad was a request for him to move in with you

Im so lonely...

#15 6 years ago

Ill come visit you with my broken games.........

#16 6 years ago

My electrical grid is 100 Amps. Is that the issue here?

Huh? Do you mean your panel? That shouldn’t affect anything. You could have shot caps in ac/dc conversion or bad bridge rectifier(s). Just need to measure voltage at coils.

Mushroomed plungers, dirty coil sleeves, mechs physically dragging on something .. these all can cause weaker flippers or up/out kicks.

I always rebuild flippers when I get a used game out of habit. Good starting point as part of shop out, along with new rubbers and a deep clean.

Auto launch could be binding on something or striking something, causing it to lose power. For example, on my sopranos it occasionally hits part of the trough switch which results in about 1/2 power.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ill come visit you with my broken games.........

You're always welcome at my place Art, with or without broken games...

#19 6 years ago

My electrical grid is 100 Amps. Is that the issue here?

Amps and volts are very different. You MUST proceed safely when testing electrical items. You should educate yourself before further troubleshooting.
You don't want to electrocute anyone (including yourself) or burn down your house.

Watch some videos and you'll probably gain enough knowledge to be safe.

#20 6 years ago

On the auto plunger -- sometimes the shooter rod (and it's rubber piece) hold the ball up higher than it should which means the auto launcher mech doesn't hit the ball hard enough. Ran into this with my Stern Simpsons Pinball Party game. Research showed other Stern games suffer from this as well.

#21 6 years ago

Before you worry about voltage, I would start with the simple solution which is rebuilding the flippers, auto plunger and VUK (vertical up kicker). All 4 of these are basically the same thing. You won't find a handy VUK or Auto-plunger rebuild kit like you will for the flippers, but it's mostly the same parts. Coil stop, sleeve and plunger. My guess is that they have never been changed and are badly mushroomed causing them to be underpowered.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

There's a good joke in here if someone wants to work for it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Haul_lesbian

#23 6 years ago

cosmokramer I'm unfortunately in Massachusetts but it is very nice of you to offer.
I decided to buy a machine because I live in the forest and the closest on location pin to my location is almost an hour away. Ergo, none of my friends even want to make the drive to check out my purchase.

Welcome to pinside. Where in Massachusetts are you?

#24 6 years ago

If you want I can face time with you to help you out with the basics . If it will help . Just shoot me a pm if your interested .

#25 6 years ago

Nokoro I'm 90 minutes away from Bridgewater. Thanks for the welcome.

brainmegaphone - You nailed it! Thats Exactly the issue. One less thing for me to fix. Thank you very much.

Thanks to all who have helped out, I've learned something from everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
Boards
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-new-to-pinball-repair-and-the-forum-please-help?hl=bigbad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.