• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rkelley17
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Guys,

My IMVE is acting up and I need some help...the War Machine kickback is firing even when the ball doesn't come close to the kickback. For instance, the ball is in the pops and the kickback will fire. Any ideas as to why and how to fix? Thanks in advance!

#2 9 years ago

Check the war machine optos.

Go into the switch edge test and rap the playfield with your fist to see if it registers the opto for war machine.

#3 9 years ago

Go to switch test and bang on playfield, see if the switch in there is closed or firing when it shouldn't.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago

The first thing I'd do is check the wires coming from the 2 optos in front of War Machine. Under the playfield you'll see the two thin wires going to an opto board. It's possible the connectors are a bit loose. Try reseating them and see if that helps any.

#5 9 years ago

Thx guys!!!! Will test and check opto connections when I get home.

#6 9 years ago

I had this exact problem after our local Expo, and the cause was a cold solder joint in the opto. Reflowed the solder and added a tiny jumper wire, problem solved. I assume these opto boards get a lot of vibration, being so close to the kicker.

#7 9 years ago

I had this exact problem on my new 2010 IM. The solution was to completely mangle my opto board in an attempt to "re-flow" the solder, then to call Stern for a replacement opto.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I had this exact problem on my new 2010 IM. The solution was to completely mangle my opto board in an attempt to "re-flow" the solder, then to call Stern for a replacement opto.

Yeah, for sure it's delicate surgery, like sewing a button on a jellyfish. I'm surprised mine survived my hamfisted attack!

#9 9 years ago

That's comforting! I have never soldered before. Don't want to start on my brand new game...lol

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from rkelley17:

That's comforting! I have never soldered before. Don't want to start on my brand new game...lol

You're a pinball owner. Time to learn. …but yeah, practice on something other than your new game first lol

#11 9 years ago

Okay guys,

I checked the opto connections. Everything appears to be solidly connected. It does fire when it shouldn't, but won't when I actually hit the War Machine shot. Thoughts on next steps? Thanks again!

Rick

#12 9 years ago

First, check to see whether the right side of the opto pair is putting out any red light. No light, no switch. If you do see red light, go into the switch test mode and activate the opto switch by hand (interrupt the beam). Report back and let us know what you see....good luck.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks swampfire! Just tested...interrupted the beam, but nothing registered.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from rkelley17:

Thanks swampfire! Just tested...interrupted the beam, but nothing registered.

Sounds like a flakey connection somewhere. Either on the optos themselves or at the board.

While you should learn how to solder - since this is a new game, Stern will cover you under warranty. They'll prob send you new optos & the board to be safe. Call Stern and/or your distributor.

#15 9 years ago

What about warranty????? Can you send in the opto board to Stern. I was thinking of saving my game for a while or waiting till my B-day NIB maybe I need to pull it out and start playing it while the game has warranty?

Ant opinions,

Rob

#16 9 years ago

Thanks again Rarehero! I'll start the process with Stern today.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.