DSCN0925.JPG
DSCN0924.JPG
DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN0922.JPG
DSCN0920.JPG
DSCN0917.JPG
DSCN0916.JPG
DSCN0919.JPG
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#52 10 years ago

Well STI picked up Card Whiz today at Bob Borden's shop in outside of Philadelphia and it should be here in my game room by the 22nd or most likely the 25th due to Thanksgiving. In the meantime I get to enjoy playing my new Slick Chick.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Of my 3 EMs and all their combined stepper units, that bonus one on the Card Whiz is by far the most troublesome.
I haven't been able to get it functioning 100% reliably until I put a drop of oil on the gear. I'm sure it will gunk up eventually, but I'll just clean it up and do it again.

I am currently shopping out a very-very nice Card Whiz, pretty much an untouched original. Current owner bought it in 1978 & it sat in his basement until now. Virtually NO playfield wear or planking, all wiring is clean & unfaded. Looks like this one came out of Canada, as it has a pair of Canadian quarter mechs in the door.
The instruction card had a piece of tape over the match replay notice, & I wondered why. I pulled the match "AS" relay & the greedy operator had neatly cut the wire so the match feature did not work. I resoldered it back on & cleaned it up. I fought with it for an hour or so & finally got it working - had a couple of problems - the switch was tensioned too tight, & the spring for the ratchet was too weak. Adjusted the switch & replaced the ratchet spring with an good old used one and it works great now. I am using a very slight amount of Teflon gel lube on the gears & cam lobes of "AS" relays now & so far it is doing the trick.

#54 10 years ago

Congratulations on your "little old man / basement" find. I wish I could find them like that. It would be far cheaper for me. My playfield has no planking, wear, or restorations. Cab is a repaint as you can see from the pictures. I wish I lived near you. It would be fun to have some EM heads right down the road.

#55 10 years ago

Yeah, not too many EM heads around anymore. Most of the kids like the new-fangled digital pins.
I have a couple more lined up that need more serious attention - Gottlieb wedgeheads - "High Hand" & "Top Card", both are what I refer to as dumpster quality - wasted, but savable as player games.
My avatar is a pic of my dumpster Gottlieb "King Kool" - I worked a full year on that off & on. Was a real turd when I brought it home - it smelled like cat piss, backbox was broken, cabinet was broken, playfield planked & worn. Works perfectly now! (& smells good too). Repainted the cabinet, but did not touch up the playfield - just cleaned it up & clear coated it with varathane. Looks pretty decent even with the wear..err. patina.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

"High Hand" & "Top Card", both are what I refer to as dumpster quality - wasted, but savable as player games.

I Hate when people vulture and part them out,^ nice to see one of the few who care about saving them.
They can keep the new pins as i would rather have Em `s .

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, not too many EM heads around anymore. Most of the kids like the new-fangled digital pins.
I have a couple more lined up that need more serious attention - Gottlieb wedgeheads - "High Hand" & "Top Card", both are what I refer to as dumpster quality - wasted, but savable as player games.
My Avatar is a pic of my dumpster Gottlieb "King Kool" - I worked a full year on that off & on. Was a real turd when I brought it home - it smelled like cat piss, backbox was broken, cabinet was broken, playfield planked & worn. Works perfectly now! (& smells good too). Repainted the cabinet, but did not touch up the playfield - just cleaned it up & clear coated it with varathane. Looks pretty decent even with the wear..err. patina.

I like it all. Hot-dogs and steak, beer and martinis, EMs and DMDs, hot chicks and fa... err... you get the idea... Why choose!

#58 10 years ago

Well, yeah, I won't pass up play on the new stuff... but I really appreciate what they did with the limited analog hardware that they had to work with back in the day.
My buddy has an Stern AC/DC Premium with I really like, but there is something about the EM's......

#59 10 years ago

Card Whiz arrived today. I feel I spent about 500-700 too much. Cabinet is a perfect repaint. Back glass has some very minor touchups in the reds and reds are faded. If there is a Card Whiz backglass being done by Webb or Shay then let me know. Plastics are slightly warped. I can fix that. Ball swirls in the yellows and blacks was a royal let down for the price I paid. also good touchups on the bottom reds in the big arrow on the playfield. The game plays like a Swiss watch. I most likely would have passed on this pin if I had seen it in person or offered less but none the less it is a keeper because it plays very well and is a ton of fun. Hopefully I can trade up later if i run across another Card Whiz. Enjoy the pictures.

DSCN0914.JPGDSCN0914.JPG DSCN0919.JPGDSCN0919.JPG DSCN0916.JPGDSCN0916.JPG DSCN0917.JPGDSCN0917.JPG DSCN0920.JPGDSCN0920.JPG DSCN0922.JPGDSCN0922.JPG DSCN0923.JPGDSCN0923.JPG DSCN0924.JPGDSCN0924.JPG DSCN0925.JPGDSCN0925.JPG DSCN0926.JPGDSCN0926.JPG
#60 10 years ago

I think you got a much better deal on the slick chick

#61 10 years ago

Indeed Dave. Much appreciated!

#62 10 years ago

I want to give a big shout out of appreciation to Chris aka "ccotenj"!! he had a 1976 door and he needed my door for his Jacks Open. It arrived in the mail today. After some 600 grit sandpaper and steel wool this thing looks great. Not perfect but really, really good! Attached it the door I just swapped out and the one I am sending back to Chris.

EDIT: Let me know if you have a better door trim for sale, or know where I can get one. Thanks!

IMG_0234.JPGIMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPGIMG_0235.JPG

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Card Whiz arrived today. I feel I spent about 500-700 too much. Cabinet is a perfect repaint. Back glass has some very minor touchups in the reds and reds are faded. If there is a Card Whiz backglass being done by Webb or Shay then let me know. Plastics are slightly warped. I can fix that. Ball swirls in the yellows and blacks was a royal let down for the price I paid. also good touchups on the bottom reds in the big arrow on the playfield. The game plays like a Swiss watch. I most likely would have passed on this pin if I had seen it in person or offered less but none the less it is a keeper because it plays very well and is a ton of fun. Hopefully I can trade up later if i run across another Card Whiz. Enjoy the pictures.

Done this as well, but who says what is worth what? $9000 for a WOZ that in 20 years time will be hell to maintain due to pc components whereas the EM's will still be working just fine! All the good EM's are LE's as they are truly limited and rare. Only difference right now is that there is very little interest in EM's but this could change and prices would rocket.

Main thing is to play em, have fun........and erm, make em look good

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I want to give a big shout out of appreciation to Chris aka "ccotenj"!! he had a 1976 door and he needed my door for his Jacks Open. It arrived in the mail today. After some 600 grit sandpaper and steel wool this thing looks great. Not perfect but really, really good! Attached it the door I just swapped out and the one I am sending back to Chris.
EDIT: Let me know if you have a better door trim for sale, or know where I can get one. Thanks!

IMG_0234.JPG 2 MB

IMG_0235.JPG 2 MB

glad it worked out for you dan... looks like you did a nice job on it...

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

looks like you did a nice job on it...

Now its your turn.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Now its your turn.

yea, but i'm getting off easy... all i have to do is put a new sticker on it...

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, but i'm getting off easy... all i have to do is put a new sticker on it...

The original doors didn't have stickers on them.

#68 10 years ago

Hey Dan,
I've had several games with the aluminum trim that had some idiot get into them with a screwdriver.....
What I do is take the whole thing out of the game, seperate doP2130051.JPGP2130051.JPGor from trim, (I know you already had it that way) and carefully file the offending mangled metal. I use a fine file and then various sandpaper as well to remove as much damage as possible, always sanding with the length of the frame. They always look much better when done. This Super Spin door frame was pretty bad, and as you can see, only a few small divots remain. You have to take a little extra off sometimes, but the overall effect is good, yes?

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The original doors didn't have stickers on them.

:confused: i was under the impression that all the doors that had the "circle" in the middle has a sticker? and the "flat" ones didn't? it wouldn't be the first time that i've been wrong though...

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Hey Dan,
I've had several games with the aluminum trim that had some idiot get into them with a screwdriver.....
What I do is take the whole thing out of the game, seperate door from trim, (I know you already had it that way) and carefully file the offending mangled metal. I use a fine file and then various sandpaper as well to remove as much damage as possible, always sanding with the length of the frame. They always look much better when done. This Super Spin door frame was pretty bad, and as you can see, only a few small divots remain. You have to take a little extra off sometimes, but the overall effect is good, yes?

P2130051.JPG 2 MB

that's a good tip, and it does look like it came out real nice... almost every frame i've ever seen has been mangled...

#71 10 years ago

You inspired me to put my Cardwhiz back together OP. Its only taken me a year to get around to it

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

:confused: i was under the impression that all the doors that had the "circle" in the middle has a sticker? and the "flat" ones didn't? it wouldn't be the first time that i've been wrong though...

yes, the circle ones have the sticker, the flat ones do not. I was thinking you were getting the flat one - never mind!

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

almost every frame i've ever seen has been mangled...

Mine is chewed up too.
Wonder if someone has found a replica/likeness of that extrusion?

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

yes, the circle ones have the sticker, the flat ones do not. I was thinking you were getting the flat one - never mind!

ah, ok... nope, dan had posted that his had the "wrong" door, so i offered to trade him the "correct" one, since i had replaced one on my jacks open that was completely beaten to hell with the "wrong" one...

Quoted from Pin-it:

Mine is chewed up too.
Wonder if someone has found a replica/likeness of that extrusion?

i'm liking stashy's tip, although i might butcher it in the process...

dunno... you would think there's something out there... if so, we could just get it and cut it to size...

#75 10 years ago

We should all put in an email to Steve Young asking him to remake that part! He should also have not only 1976 doors remade but the ones from 77-79 TKO as well! He would make a killing! He needs to restock lockdown bars that fit machines from the 70's as well.

#76 10 years ago

Stashy, thanks for the tip! I will have to give it a try at some point.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

We should all put in an email to Steve Young asking him to remake that part! He should also have not only 1976 doors remade but the ones from 77-79 TKO as well! He would make a killing! He needs to restock lockdown bars that fit machines from the 70's as well.

never going to happen

did you get the card whiz fixed

#78 10 years ago

Yes I got the KX relay fixed. The tabs for the black wire and the yellow wire were touching. Now it works. But the green light in the outlane won't come on when I hit the green joker but when I raise the playfield it works. So there is something screwy underneath the playfield but it could be that I have two sockets completely taken out right now. I just got the replacement sockets in the mail. A friend is driving over here as we speak that knows what he is doing so we should have Card Whiz 100% within the hour.

#79 10 years ago

Okay I am having problems with my regular bonus relay because when I cleaned it I messed it up. I have posted in the EM Tech forum to hopefully get some help. I need a picture of all 5 stacks of the E relay and pictures of the KX relay that is under the playfield. I need to judge all the distances of the gaps on the contacts. And check them all for open or closed.

#80 10 years ago

Hard to take good pictures of that stuff, but here goes.
Kx in both positions, E from both sides.

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG
#81 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Hard to take good pictures of that stuff, but here goes.
Kx in both positions, E from both sides.

photo 1.JPG 517 KB

photo 2.JPG 533 KB

photo 3.JPG 547 KB

photo 4.JPG 482 KB

Thank you sir!

2 months later
#82 10 years ago

The only EM I wish I hadn't sold.

#83 10 years ago

The machine that is in this forum is for sale 2step. I paid 2900 back in November and I am asking 1900 OBO. Drop me a line if you are interested. The reason I am selling it is becaise I want to put the money toward more 60's wedgeheads. Slick Chick and King of Diamonds needs a new sibling.

#84 10 years ago

Very nice! Congrats.

3 months later
#85 9 years ago

Question on Card Whiz guys:

The instruction card states you are supposed to get your bonus for hands made after completion of the ball. But even if I have a bonus/hand lit, there is no extra countdown of bonus after the ball drains, ala Target Alpha, etc.

Is there supposed to be a bonus countdown for the hands after each ball drains? Thanks!

#86 9 years ago

Yes, There is supposed to be a bonus countdown.

Look at the "AS" relay on the bottom side of the playfield. There are two there. The one that has two Jones plugs on the harness and is removable probably needs to be serviced. If in doubt, replace the spindle and armature.

Mike O.

#87 9 years ago

Nice machine. I love Card Whiz / Royal Flush. Ahh.. Someday....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-getting-a-card-whiz/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.