AC290F18-2340-4FD1-B840-A2B7B975CE04 (resized).jpeg
3B9B6D53-1378-48D3-A705-B5766174E76F (resized).png
48E5EBE0-37B4-4D85-9498-C9FEFDEA1BFE (resized).png
mSFXk2a.gif
Image 4-15-21 at 9.14 PM (resized).jpeg
1-thebigbangth (resized).jpg
96A736A9-E406-4152-91A6-12608BF9F347 (resized).jpeg
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Alright, I know it’s against the rules to call someone out, but I’m pulling the “public figure” card here. Cary, I love your video production standards, and you’ve steered me away from a few bad games. But dude, it seems like every new Stern has a fatal flaw for you. I get it, the 90’s had some great games! I have a few myself (though my collection is mostly pre-DMD).
Here’s the thing. I was totally psyched about Led Zeppelin Premium. I went to a friend’s house and played his LE, had a BLAST playing it. Then I watched your review and it sucked out every ounce of joy I’d had. There’s no way I’d buy a LZ now, and they were one of my top 5 bands growing up in the late 70’s. All the joy, totally gone. Is your assessment right? Maybe some of it, but it was relentlessly negative.
Plan B: Stranger Things Premium. Let’s see what Cary thinks of this one...are you kidding me? At least half of that review was about how the older Brian Eddy games were all better, or hammering Stern about gameplay issues.
No sir, I will not buy into this dystopian vision. From now on, I’ll play the game and make up my own mind, maybe with some input from the STDM reviews.
I do respect your retro lineup, your production quality, and your independent control of your eyebrows. I cannot respect your pessimism.

First of all...LOL

Secondly...although they have their fans, you picked two of the least well-received Stern pins of the last couple of years to judge Cary's reviews on.

Third...why would Cary's negative review of LZ stop you from buying it, unless he was telling the truth and actually made some good points.

Lastly, I find it a little amusing that you felt the need to announce that you're not watching Cary's reviews anymore. Doesn't seem like it warrants a whole thread. Unless you were trying to start a larger discussion about pinball reviews or something.

#88 3 years ago

I love that some people are posting that Cary is just being negative and harsh for the clicks! There isn't a single Pinball Youtuber that makes any real money off their videos, let alone enough to live off of. The idea that Cary is being sensational for the attention is laughable.

Cary seems genuine to me. He doesn't have any ties to manufacturers, and so he doesn't have to play nice to get interviews or other perks. He's a solid pinball tech who restores a lot of games, and does clear coating and pf swaps. And he routes games as well. So I think he brings a different perspective than a lot of the other pinball reviewers.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I hit up the internet archive to remember what reviews used to be like. Man, these guys made Cary look like a pussycat. What a brutal review of IJ4 (I think it’s a fun game).
http://web.archive.org/web/20100122093204/http://www.pinballreviews.com/rotm.htm
I kinda wish this thread would just go away, but I guess everyone has that one post they aren’t proud of.

Oh yeah, we've all got one of those. One time Jack Danger pissed me off, and I made a pretty angry post about him in the heat of the moment. I forgot all about it, and then 2 months later someone went and quoted the most negative part of my post, and said how much they agreed with me! A bunch more people ended up seeing my post then I ever intended, and I wanted to go crawl into a hole, since by that point I was over the whole thing and kinda embarrassed about what I had written

Ah well, in the end what's done is done. The permanency of the Internet can be a tough teacher for us all.

1 year later
#425 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

No, it’s the “resurrect a bad thread for no reason” thread.

Ooooh, that some “Inception” level layers within layers stuff!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 65.99
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-done-with-cary-hardys-game-reviews?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.