AC290F18-2340-4FD1-B840-A2B7B975CE04 (resized).jpeg
3B9B6D53-1378-48D3-A705-B5766174E76F (resized).png
48E5EBE0-37B4-4D85-9498-C9FEFDEA1BFE (resized).png
mSFXk2a.gif
Image 4-15-21 at 9.14 PM (resized).jpeg
1-thebigbangth (resized).jpg
96A736A9-E406-4152-91A6-12608BF9F347 (resized).jpeg
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif
There are 461 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Exactly! AIQ LE should of won best pin. So much more to shoot at and doesnt feel like a rookie designed it like GnR with no good shots. GnR does have the best light show in town though ill give it that but soon as everyone starts getting there machines we will see a flood of LEs on the used market, mark my words and if im wrong ill eat crow and say i was wrong but highly doubt it unless the few fan boys that only own JJP talk over everybody else.

And here we go again!

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

It was this borefest full of fat ex rock stars. I can't remember but a lot of old timer pinsiders who love flashy lights thought it was really neat.

Haha glad to see your back and more Humongous Jacoff then ever!

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

And here we go again!

So i cant have a opinion and only yours is right? Do you even own a GnR?

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Maybe Zeppelin (a far superior band) can sweep the Twipy’s next year ?

Who cares. Besides this year and certain pinsiders bringing it up quite a bit I had no idea what the twipy's were, or who won in previous years, if this wasn't the first year for the Twipy's.

#155 3 years ago

I quit listing my games years ago.
Just didn’t bother with it

#156 3 years ago

Yeah it is I can't stand it.

Boo.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Did OP start this thread with actual malice?

No

#158 3 years ago

I asked the mods to close the thread a few hours ago.

Since I’m here, my biggest problem with recent Sterns has been the callouts. They’re fine on JP and DP, but kind of lifeless in LZ, and annoying in AIQ. Fortunately anyone who cares can change them in Pinball Browser, or wait for someone else to do that.

I don’t see the bias in SDTM’s videos, they seem pretty objective to me. If there’s an agenda to sell games, I’m not seeing it.

#159 3 years ago

Yeah I'd have to hear how to make them great in AIQ to really understand, They aren't awesome but they don't bug me.
I guess it's hard for me to tell what I'm 'missing.'

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

Yes - better the Bone than the Shill

Man you’re such a dick. Hahaha Having said that, I’d love to have you on the podcast to cohost with me sometime. You may just have fun AND you may realize that I’m not looking to harm your pets haha. Cmon ZPin let’s create some content.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I got AIQ pro well under 6k. It has:
Full color LCD with far more visual content than LOTR's DMD
Full 44.1hz stereo sound compared to LOTR pseudo-MIDI and low-res samples
3 ramps compared to LOTR's 3 ramps
A spinning disc toy, 3bank of drops and lockbar action button compared to LOTR's Balrog toy, sword ramp and Path of the Dead UPF
RGB LED inserts compared to LOTR's incandescent-lit inserts
Crappy voice acting compared to excellent movie-actor LOTR quotes
Incredibly deep ruleset compared to LOTR incredibly deep ruleset
Licensed theme compared to LOTR licensed theme
Easy to update compared to LOTR ordering or burning EPROM chips
Honestly, they seem about equal. LOTR has better voices and maybe better toys, but IMHO the disc is more fun than POTD. AIQ has better audio and video by far, and overall better technology.

Good points! I'm actually considering buying an AIQ this very moment lol, really enjoyed playing it the other day on location.

#162 3 years ago

Pinside's not happy when people are positive about games, Pinside's not happy when people are negative about games.

Bottom line, Pinside is never happy.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Pinside's not happy when people are positive about games, Pinside's not happy when people are negative about games.
Bottom line, Pinside is never happy.

But it sucked when it was down!

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They aren't awesome but they don't bug me.
I guess it's hard for me to tell what I'm 'missing.'

AIQ doesn’t irritate but they do sound a bit lifeless -like being stuck in a zoom meeting.
Admittedly, I may just need a vacation.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If you want the opposite just watch a TNT video? I’ve always enjoyed the fact that Todd can knowingly take absolute clunkers with no redeeming qualities and spin them as the best thing since sliced bread!
His enthusiasm has lead me to enjoy playing even the worst of games.
What we are severely lacking is gameplay videos in HD HIGH DEF without some jackass talking over them.
I also wish that Youtube let me hide all of those god damn virtual pinball videos that people put up. Why would anyone wanna watch someone else play a VIRTUAL VERSION of a game that exists????

That is so true about Todd. Every game is "a great game" to him. When you think about it... he's right. Todd is the best!

#168 3 years ago

Is it just me or is anyone else looking forward to the Cary Hardy reaction video?

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Is it just me or is anyone else looking forward to the Cary Hardy reaction video?

I think there's large portion of people in this thread not looking for any Cary Hardy videos.

Just a guess though

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

I’m surprised TheCapn hasn’t commented on this thread. Maybe we’ll see a new video or skit reenactment?

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I do respect your retro lineup, your production quality, and your independent control of your eyebrows. I cannot respect your pessimism.

Critique of games isn't pessimism. It's having an opinion, based on experience with other games that exist and are alternatives to play/purchase to the game being reviewed. Not everyone will like everything, and when something is selling for $6000-$12,500 - it's the duty of hobbyists to critique these products honestly.

If you want confirmation bias, then watch the reviews from the guys who are trying to sell you games. They'll provide the happy happy best game evaaarrrr reviews you're looking for.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A LOTR in 2003 was around $3500 NIB

Actually the price was around $4300-4500 (6400 in today's money), but some cut rate dealers were selling them for around $3700. The prices are more controlled these days. The newer pins especially Premiums and LEs have much more of the things collectors want and it drives the prices up; better cabinet art, RGB lighting, stereo sound, not to mention a hoard of programmers to handle the LCD screens and make timely updates. Software on LZ is already at 1.02 with three recent updates and the game plays like butter with no serious issues. When LOTR came out, they had crappy playfields, weak flippers and the software sucked and it continued to suck for a long time. It never would have gotten to where it was if it wasn't for the programmer taking it as a personal challenge to really finish and polish it. In my mind a Stern pro today is equal or better value compared to what we were getting in 2003. For the LEs and Premiums they cost more, but deliver more.

As for online reviews. I have never listened to any of them and never will. I know what I like in a pinball machine when I play it and have fun and want to keep coming back.

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

That is so true about Todd. Every game is "a great game" to him. When you think about it... he's right. Todd is the best!

I love Todd. I hope he‘s well. Covid lockdown sure took it’s toll on the company/ business as well as on the health side due to all the stress. :-/

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Man you’re such a dick. Hahaha Having said that, I’d love to have you on the podcast to cohost with me sometime. You may just have fun AND you may realize that I’m not looking to harm your pets haha. Cmon ZPin let’s create some content.

I may be a DICK but at least i am not harming barnyard animals and I know how to sing

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

You like what you like.
I love my Alice Cooper, but other people dislike it.

THAT’S IT! You’ve ruined my Pinside experience. I’m not watching you anymore.

And no, that’s not me outside your house.

In the bushes.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:Is it just me or is anyone else looking forward to the Cary Hardy reaction video?

It's just you.

#177 3 years ago

Every game I play sucks.

Which is why I play more of them.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Since I’m here, my biggest problem with recent Sterns has been the callouts. They’re fine on JP and DP, but kind of lifeless in LZ, and annoying in AIQ.

AIQ's Iron Man sounds like that office co-worker who likes to schedule Monday 8AM meetings The game overall reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon, but damn it's fun as hell to shoot.

Edit: i wrote this before reading the zoom meeting comment LOL glad others agree

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The game overall reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon, but damn it's fun as hell to shoot.

The theme sucks, I just don't get it. target age group for this hobby is 40 plus and we are getting Superhero's, kids cartoons, and films made for pre teens. Then again I have to remember that a very large portion of pinball enthusiasts r this..................

1-thebigbangth (resized).jpg1-thebigbangth (resized).jpg
#180 3 years ago

The theme sucks, I just don't get it. target age group for this hobby is 40 plus and we are getting Superhero's, kids cartoons, and films made for pre teens. Then again I have to remember that a very large portion of pinball enthusiasts r this..................
[quoted image]

Rich intellectuals with hot wives?

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

I may be a DICK but at least i am not harming barnyard animals and I know how to sing

Well, then I appreciate you being an avid listener. So come on and cohost this weekend with me. Let’s kick some dust.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#182 3 years ago

Meanwhile, over on YouTube Cary Hardy views just went up some unknown percentage in the last 24 hours.

Good or bad, this thread is like free advertising.
Might as well bought the dude a banner advertisement on the main page.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Actually the price was around $4300-4500 (6400 in today's money), but some cut rate dealers were selling them for around $3700.

Yep, I paid around $4300 in 2004 for my LOTR. I drove up to Brady Dist in Charlotte to pick it up. It was my first NIB and I didn’t know how to price-shop.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I went to a friend’s house and played his LE, had a BLAST playing it. Then I watched your review and it sucked out every ounce of joy I’d had

So you liked playing the game had fun and enjoyed it.
Seems like your letting others dictate your purchases.
Play a game come to your own conclusions.

#185 3 years ago

not a good idea to try and run over carrie.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Rich intellectuals with hot wives?

No, geeks who cosplay Avengers and watch Harry Potter movies. Kayley is the only hot one if u can get past the man hands.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

When LOTR came out, they had crappy playfields, weak flippers and the software sucked and it continued to suck for a long time. It never would have gotten to where it was if it wasn't for the programmer taking it as a personal challenge to really finish and polish it. In my mind a Stern pro today is equal or better value compared to what we were getting in 2003. For the LEs and Premiums they cost more, but deliver more.
As for online reviews. I have never listened to any of them and never will. I know what I like in a pinball machine when I play it and have fun and want to keep coming back.

John, please. The LOTR I purchased in 2004 NIB had awesome software (rule set was totally complete, dots were highly refined and callouts were vast). I really don't know what you are talking about. Still have the game and after 20k plays, looks better than most of my newer Sterns with 500 plays. I'm happy you love Stern's new games, but in 2004 Stern was doing some quality work. TSPP was also an amazing game developed in the same time period.

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yep, I paid around $4300 in 2004 for my LOTR. I drove up to Brady Dist in Charlotte to pick it up. It was my first NIB and I didn’t know how to price-shop.

Don't feel bad...I paid $4,250.

Image 4-15-21 at 9.14 PM (resized).jpegImage 4-15-21 at 9.14 PM (resized).jpeg
#190 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I asked the mods to close the thread a few hours ago.
Since I’m here, my biggest problem with recent Sterns has been the callouts. They’re fine on JP and DP, but kind of lifeless in LZ, and annoying in AIQ. Fortunately anyone who cares can change them in Pinball Browser, or wait for someone else to do that.
I don’t see the bias in SDTM’s videos, they seem pretty objective to me. If there’s an agenda to sell games, I’m not seeing it.

Call outs??!!! It’s playing Zeppelin for crying out loud, who cares about callouts!! Just buy it already, fix the spinner, and enjoy. Your original post was correct, that joker has no clue.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

John, please. The LOTR I purchased in 2004 NIB had awesome software (rule set was totally complete, dots were highly refined and callouts were vast). I really don't know what you are talking about. Still have the game and after 20k plays, looks better than most of my newer Sterns with 500 plays. I'm happy you love Stern's new games, but in 2004 Stern was doing some quality work. TSPP was also an amazing game developed in the same time period.

You got the game well after release on one of the later runs. Hopefully you updated it since then because there were even more revisions! The early runs also had crappy playfields with bad color registration. I know two people who got new playfields from Stern because they were so bad.

Not saying it is a bad game, it did stumble out of the gate. What I am saying is that Stern has really stepped up their game on software releases from my own experiences recently.

#192 3 years ago

It’s not a personal attack. I think Cary’s a great vlogger, and I assume he can handle some criticism of his review style.

#193 3 years ago

I bought my LOTR for $4750 about 18 months ago. Take that!

#194 3 years ago

I just finished a playfield swap on my LOTR yesterday. The original isn’t bad, but Ron Kruzman had a perfect playfield and he did an amazing job with the clearcoat. There was a lot of variability in playfield art those days, so I’m glad Stern went to a new process.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s not a personal attack. I think Cary’s a great vlogger, and I assume he can handle some criticism of his review style.

Corrected my comment to be an exact quote...

I actually agree with you on the assuming. I think the moderators on here pick and choose what they want to “moderate”. That was the point I was making.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Well, I’m gonna disagree with my drunk self from last night. If you’re criticizing a podcast or vlog, it’s not an attack on that person. Honestly I thought more people knew about his channel.

Witness the other criticism here of SDTM...not an attack, just an opinion.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I actually agree with you on the assuming. I think the moderators on here pick and choose what they want to “moderate”. That was the point I was making.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Meanwhile, over on YouTube Cary Hardy views just went up some unknown percentage in the last 24 hours.
Good or bad, this thread is like free advertising.
Might as well bought the dude a banner advertisement on the main page.

Free advertising to a weird new aspect to this hobby. A know nothing that stares into a camera and rallies a bunch of noobs.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I apologize for starting this thread while I was drinking last night. And I just realized the irony - I’m doing to Cary what Cary sometimes does to Stern, harping on the negative while minimizing the positive.
Caucasian2Step I love every one of your well thought out reviews, both here and on IPDB. I have a game on location, so I definitely relate to the pain there. I also worked as the tech for a big tournament where all of the games were donated - talk about stress.
FWIW after I put the iPad down last night, I played every one of my pins. That’s what I should have done instead of starting this thread. Sorry for ragging on you, Cary.

Never be sorry about your about what you typed. You felt like you should post this if you were drinking...that’s a plus no bullshit filter. Pinside does not like it. Piss on them that’s your opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 461 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-done-with-cary-hardys-game-reviews/page/4?hl=otto110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.