AC290F18-2340-4FD1-B840-A2B7B975CE04 (resized).jpeg
3B9B6D53-1378-48D3-A705-B5766174E76F (resized).png
48E5EBE0-37B4-4D85-9498-C9FEFDEA1BFE (resized).png
mSFXk2a.gif
Image 4-15-21 at 9.14 PM (resized).jpeg
1-thebigbangth (resized).jpg
96A736A9-E406-4152-91A6-12608BF9F347 (resized).jpeg
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

There are 461 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 2 years ago

Alright, I know it’s against the rules to call someone out, but I’m pulling the “public figure” card here. Cary, I love your video production standards. But dude, it seems like every new Stern has a fatal flaw for you. I get it, the 90’s had some great games! I have a few myself (though my collection is mostly pre-DMD).

Here’s the thing. I was totally psyched about Led Zeppelin Premium. I went to a friend’s house and played his LE, had a BLAST playing it. Then I watched your review and it sucked out every ounce of joy I’d had. There’s no way I’d buy a LZ now, and they were one of my top 5 bands growing up in the late 70’s. All the joy, totally gone. Is your assessment right? Maybe some of it, but it was relentlessly negative.

Plan B: Stranger Things Premium. Let’s see what Cary thinks of this one...are you kidding me? At least half of that review was about how the older Brian Eddy games were all better, or hammering Stern about gameplay issues.

No sir, I will not buy into this dystopian vision. From now on, I’ll play the game and make up my own mind, maybe with some input from the STDM reviews.

I do respect your retro lineup, your production quality, and your independent control of your eyebrows. I cannot respect your pessimism.

#2 2 years ago

Playing a game and making up your own mind probably was where you should have started from.

If all it take to kill your excitement is a youtube video you must have a hard time making choices !

#3 2 years ago

Done? Can't believe you ever started.

Quoted from swampfire:

. From now on, I’ll play the game and make up my own mind, maybe with some input from the STDM reviews.

Ha, that should shift things 180

#4 2 years ago

who?

#5 2 years ago

There’s no such thing as bad publicity, I guess. Check out his reviews on YouTube and decide for yourself. I don’t THINK I’m a Stern fanboy.

#6 2 years ago

So as someone who doesn't give a F about rando YouTube'rs, I've just recently learned who this Hardy guy is, and then there's some other nobody coming up in my YT recommendations too. Hardy is apparently the nobody with a really expensive gaming chair and is a try hard to be funny (I think in the Deeproot thread he was mentioned to be at that horrible launch that they backtracked), and then there's the guy with the similar looking "dark game room" channel where all his thumbnails look like some Match.com sketch guy who wants you to try this drink you never saw poured... but come on, trust him. Both of those guys aren't needed and redundant 1000x over in this hobby.

Play a game. Do you like it or not? If so, buy it. If not, don't. Don't let some YT nobody (probably with an agenda) sway your opinion. They're looking to be provocative for clicks. Similarly, don't listen to shills that may or may not be distributors for their "everything is awesome" recommendations. Play and decide on your own. Only way to know you end up with something you like.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Alright, I know it’s against the rules to call someone out, but I’m pulling the “public figure” card here. Cary, I love your video production standards, and you’ve steered me away from a few bad games. But dude, it seems like every new Stern has a fatal flaw for you. I get it, the 90’s had some great games! I have a few myself (though my collection is mostly pre-DMD).
Here’s the thing. I was totally psyched about Led Zeppelin Premium. I went to a friend’s house and played his LE, had a BLAST playing it. Then I watched your review and it sucked out every ounce of joy I’d had. There’s no way I’d buy a LZ now, and they were one of my top 5 bands growing up in the late 70’s. All the joy, totally gone. Is your assessment right? Maybe some of it, but it was relentlessly negative.
Plan B: Stranger Things Premium. Let’s see what Cary thinks of this one...are you kidding me? At least half of that review was about how the older Brian Eddy games were all better, or hammering Stern about gameplay issues.
No sir, I will not buy into this dystopian vision. From now on, I’ll play the game and make up my own mind, maybe with some input from the STDM reviews.
I do respect your retro lineup, your production quality, and your independent control of your eyebrows. I cannot respect your pessimism.

First of all...LOL

Secondly...although they have their fans, you picked two of the least well-received Stern pins of the last couple of years to judge Cary's reviews on.

Third...why would Cary's negative review of LZ stop you from buying it, unless he was telling the truth and actually made some good points.

Lastly, I find it a little amusing that you felt the need to announce that you're not watching Cary's reviews anymore. Doesn't seem like it warrants a whole thread. Unless you were trying to start a larger discussion about pinball reviews or something.

#8 2 years ago

It’s pretty simple really.

Awesome review = I need to check it out.
Shitty review = I need to check it out.

#9 2 years ago

“Play it and decide for yourself” is perfectly good advice. That’s how I decided to buy LOTR in 2004 when I started buying new pins. I went to the Highlander Pub in Atlanta and played about 20 games, thought “this game’s a winner” and rolled the dice on it. The problem is, a lot of location pinball has gone away since then. I’m very lucky to have the opportunity to play Stranger Things Premium on location nearby this weekend, and that’s how I’ll make my decision. How many people have that luxury?

I don’t think YT’ers have an obligation to sugarcoat their reviews. I just think there’s such a thing as too much criticism. And I wouldn’t have posted this at all if I thought Cary Hardy was a “rando”. I think a lot of people watch his videos and make decisions based on them.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I went to a friend’s house and played his LE, had a BLAST playing it. Then I watched your review and it sucked out every ounce of joy I’d had. There’s no way I’d buy a LZ now, and they were one of my top 5 bands growing up in the late 70’s. All the joy, totally gone.

What exactly did he say that soured you? Aside from pointing out nasty scoring exploits, I don't see how some dude with a camera can suddenly make your "blast" experience "bad" ...??

#11 2 years ago

Beats me. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion on machines. I'll decide if I like it or not.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

. Doesn't seem like it warrants a whole thread. Unless you were trying to start a larger discussion about pinball reviews or something.

I think that’s actually a good discussion to have. Who can we trust these days for unbiased game reviews? Way back in the dark ages of RGP, when almost nobody was buying NIB games, I remember this site with some guys in do-rags. They said Congo was great, when everyone else said it was a ridiculous game. I’d love to find a site or YouTube channel like that again.

#13 2 years ago

I still don't quite understand how you played the game and loved it, and then let someone else's opinion of it ruin your enthusiasm for it. Most games are subjective and while there are a few true loser games out there, the rest of them work for some people and are duds for others. And that is true even for the top rated games. TAF and TZ are loved by many, and while I respect them, they do nothing for me.

So if you played LZ and had a blast, why does his opinion of it mean anything to you?

#14 2 years ago

You like what you like.

I love my Alice Cooper, but other people dislike it.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Alright, I know it’s against the rules to call someone out, but I’m pulling the “public figure” card here. Cary, I love your video production standards, and you’ve steered me away from a few bad games. But dude, it seems like every new Stern has a fatal flaw for you. I get it, the 90’s had some great games! I have a few myself (though my collection is mostly pre-DMD).

As an owner of a lz le, I was concerned with the early negative reviews before my game arrived. If you haven't played this in a home environment, with the 3 latest code updates, you're missing out. Is it the best stern ever? No. But a very good, fast, fun, flowy game that keeps me wanting to play more. Don't let a stranger influence you about what to buy. They are all good games,

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Beats me. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion on machines. I'll decide if I like it or not.

This is exactly it.
People ripped on Beatles when it first came out and I absolutely love the game. Four different skill shots, optical spinners that rip etc.
My wife and I love it.
If we were to listen to all the banter about it being a re-themed Sea Witch and not gone out and played it for ourselves we would have never got one.
I can name a bunch of machines that get hated on that I really like.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What exactly did he say that soured you? Aside from pointing out nasty scoring exploits, I don't see how some dude with a camera can suddenly make your "blast" experience "bad" ...??

Well...okay. I think he actually had some good points about LZ. Maybe he saved me some money down the road. He just made me realize that this Stern is kind of stripped down. I don’t know man, I’m just discouraged and I realize now that I started a ridiculous thread and I’m sorry.

#18 2 years ago

Who cares what others think? I like Popeye, you can’t piss in my cereal.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

And I don't like popeye. I'm certainly not going to bash you for liking it. I would bet there's games I like that you hate. Such a shocking thought, people like different things

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

some dude with a camera

These 5 words are why I’m quickly getting tired of YouTube.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well...okay. I think he actually had some good points about LZ. Maybe he saved me some money down the road. He just made me realize that this Stern is kind of stripped down

I don't think it's stripped in the sense I bet they had to pay a pretty penny for the license.. it took how many years to even *get* a LZ pin? I think the rules are pretty interesting and it flows well like all Ritchie games. Keep playing and see what you think.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Wouldn't that be spinach can for you? That's also probably one of the best posts I've read on here haha.

swampfire buy what you want, its your money and time. I played a LZ LE for a whole weekend and its not for me. I got a Back To The Future that I love playing, and it only has the theme going for it. I like Cary's podcasts because it gives a different perspective and thoughts about the game, good or bad. He's always got a few good points on things, there are some bad ones, and he can be kind of funny though. But thats a great part of pinball though, we all can like what we want. I really like my stern JP Topper and he really trashed that.

Also guys with cameras don't usually get to do the same stuff that cary has done, just saying though.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

This is exactly it.
People ripped on Beatles when it first came out and I absolutely love the game. Four different skill shots, optical spinners that rip etc.
My wife and I love it.
If we were to listen to all the banter about it being a re-themed Sea Witch and not gone out and played it for ourselves we would have never got one.
I can name a bunch of machines that get hated on that I really like.

My family and I did not like Beatles and it’s fine if your wife and you love it. We all have different likes and dislikes. That’s why it’s best to try before you buy. But that’s not always possible hence reviews.

Issue I have with Hardy is he has not played STh since all the code updates. He should revisit it and update his review. It is a great pin and my family and I liked it more than AFMr.

I was really dissatisfied in LZ at reveal and have been a big fan for 35 years. I was really disappointed. Hardy made good points about it in his video review and I agreed with most of it. I played a pro and definitely liked the artwork more in person and thought it was fun, but not NIB fun to buy a premium. My wife agreed.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think that’s actually a good discussion to have. Who can we trust these days for unbiased game reviews?

Only yourself.

#25 2 years ago

I dont care what Pinsiders think of a game, let alone some random guy on YouTube

#26 2 years ago

some people judge a game based on game play, others theme, others art, others music, others flow, others on who designed it, yada yada yada.
My suggestion, play a game a bunch after a heavy code is set in (not when its new out of box with early code), THEN make your own decision.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Alright, I know it’s against the rules to call someone out, but I’m pulling the “public figure” card here. Cary, I love your video production standards. But dude, it seems like every new Stern has a fatal flaw for you. I get it, the 90’s had some great games! I have a few myself (though my collection is mostly pre-DMD).

I dont see how a "review"/uttering of opinion from a guy on the internet, will take away the joy from a game you had a blast playing already?

#28 2 years ago

"That's what he said"

#29 2 years ago

I’m always eager to play the game myself and make up my own mind.

For example I don’t get the JJPPOTC hype at all, the game for me just doesn’t do it.
On the other hand I love my BKSOR pro.

Two games I feel completely the opposite as the common opinion here

#30 2 years ago

First off, put down the mouse, and slowly back away from the computer... now get up, walk to your game room. Turn on your favorite pin. Press the credit button, Now tap your heels together three times and repeat after me- "There's no place like Home use only", "There's no place like Home use only", "There's no place like Home use only". Now that you are back in Kansas, lets remember that NOBODY tells you how you feel about a game but YOU, and Cary Hardy is merely background entertainment not gospel. Are we good? Glad I could help.

#31 2 years ago

Cary is more of a machine tech who includes a variety of 'I gotta' get this off my chest' videos. Not necessarily a means to influence our purchases.

My first experience with Cary arrived years ago on SDTM. I didn't receive him well, but discovered a guy who shares his work in restoring pinball machines. As the years passed, I acquired an appreciation for him. I do feel he's a little bitter 'or something, maybe pessimistic?', but have grown a great respect for the rebuilds he shares. I wish he provided more details of his work, maybe even played a few games while he's talking. For 2021, I support his patreon and hope we'll have more people in the community that share their builds. I think he's a great guy and feel it's foolish for us to let him make our decisions.

#32 2 years ago

It's ok to like things other people don't like.

It's ok to not like things other people like. In either case, just don't be a jerk about it. No harm in voicing either opinion.

#33 2 years ago

If he bashes Stern he’s cool with me.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

If he bashes Stern he’s cool with me.

But.... you own 4 Sterns though

#35 2 years ago

In case this is your first day on the internet, many Youtubers/podcasters/media people build their brand off being an edge lord in order to get clicks and ad revenue. Just because someone feels their opinion is so important that they have to have an entire channel on youtube with episode after episode of expletive laden, over-acting self aggrandizement doesn't mean you are supposed to actually believe what they are saying. Go play the game, and buy the games you like playing. Stop putting these self-appointed talking heads up on a pedestal.

#36 2 years ago

I've owned a lot of pins and have only watched game play videos...Won't watch reviews.

If I buy a game on theme and wind up hating gameplay I can always sell it later. And very rarely does a game take a huge hit in resale.

You can bash LZ but I will always love mine.

Grew up with the band and excites Me and gets Me rocking to the tunes. Fast flow.

Obviously GnR woke Stern up as updates make the game a lot better.

ASLE does the same to Me as a close 2nd.

AC/DC is 3rd on my list.

Call outs on pins are great, but Music makes the difference.

#37 2 years ago

I have never made it through more than the first three minutes of one of his videos. His contrived acrimony and self-absorbed hand wringing gets old quick. I always wonder why someone with such confidence in trashing other’s creations doesn’t build his own pin to show Steve Ritchie and Brian Eddy how its done.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

So you can't stomach Cary's reviews but you can go with the biggest Stern shill in pinball with the STDM slanted take on things where all is ice cream sprinkled with lollipops and BUY BUY BUY??

Like others have said make up your own mind and go with what makes YOU happy

#39 2 years ago

In sweden there´s a saying.
You dont check the teeth on a horse that is given to you for free.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

In sweden there´s a saying.
You dont check the teeth on a horse that is given to you for free.

A similar version in English also exists: "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

#41 2 years ago

Cary is very entertaining and gives HIS honest opinion. His topper series is on point and hilarious. He has given positive in depth reviews of Stern pins. I find him creditable as he can't be influenced by outside forces, financial or otherwise. When purchasing its your personal choice.

#42 2 years ago

I don’t think I’ve ever bought or avoided a game based on someone else’s review. The only thing I ever find useful about videos is game play and explains the rules. LZ is a great game as is just about every new stern that has come out recently.

#43 2 years ago

Kaneda, Meny and his actor sidekick, Todd Tuckey, Finger nail painting extraordinaire Jack Danger... with all the cool guys talking pins why would anyone watch Lil Carey?

#44 2 years ago

I find negative reviews drive the price down on many pretty good pins says the guy who has a Munsters and Houdini

#45 2 years ago

Relax - he's just giving 1 man's opinion
I played a few games on Zeppelin and didn't really care for it either - also 1 man's opinion

Possibly your tastes in machines don't align - don't see the merit in this thread though

#46 2 years ago

Cary is just another wanna be YouTube star. Like all of them his focus on is on himself with his name in a big stylized logo, closeups of his head, and frequent urgings to "hit the subscribe button." His expletive ridden feigned indignation at the latest pinball announcement and over-acted conversations he imagines might have happened at Stern seem to have found a small niche. He doesn't review games as much as he reviewers teaser videos and echos the opinion of the hour on pinside. If people find that entertaining fine, but I can't believe the OP decided not to buy a game he wanted based on this.

#47 2 years ago

I appreciate Carys honest opinion versus being an influencer that lacks integrity and refusing to provide any criticism. Also, it's just one person's opinion, there's positive reviews out there as well.

LZ is a $6500 - $9k+ pin and it lacks features and toys compared to other recent offerings by Stern (TMNT and AIQ for example) in my opinion. If LZ was priced lower to reflect it having less features I doubt there would be as much criticism against it.

Today's NIB prices are insane and prices need to be backed up by features, toys, and code. Fun factor and flow is only worth so much to some buyers.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Aside from pointing out nasty scoring exploits

It's only a 'nasty' scoring exploit if your opponent can achieve it and you can't

#49 2 years ago

I just popped in for the LZ scoring exploit help. Haha

#50 2 years ago

If you want the opposite just watch a TNT video? I’ve always enjoyed the fact that Todd can knowingly take absolute clunkers with no redeeming qualities and spin them as the best thing since sliced bread!

His enthusiasm has lead me to enjoy playing even the worst of games.

What we are severely lacking is gameplay videos in HD HIGH DEF without some jackass talking over them.

I also wish that Youtube let me hide all of those god damn virtual pinball videos that people put up. Why would anyone wanna watch someone else play a VIRTUAL VERSION of a game that exists????

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 430.00
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Backbox
PinWoofer
Backbox
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
There are 461 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-done-with-cary-hardys-game-reviews and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.