Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 206 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by leonml
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0 mile run.jpg
    0571B052-312A-438D-8119-803748C405CE (resized).jpeg
    B53C870A-7CB9-492A-B352-57BD2A7E04B7 (resized).jpeg
    quote-but-i-would-not-feel-so-all-alone-everybody-must-get-stoned-bob-dylan-59-31-51 (resized).jpg
    7b90c1dc447ccfe88c09b496948b1c2c--disney-pics-disney-disney (resized).jpg
    alh-69-camaro-supercharged-twin (resized).jpg
    20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes-06 (resized).jpg
    2018-01-14-22-58-49- (resized).jpg
    20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes-17 (resized).jpg
    20-most-hilarious-movie-poster-remakes-08 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0926 (resized).PNG
    movieposter (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Barnabas_Collins_2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That someone would pay $8000 for a copy of a 20 year old game sounds pretty crazy to me.

Not when the original is going for 12k. These are not precious works of art (for the most part)....they are big toys.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Not when the original is going for 12k.

Haven't seen much of that lately.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Haven't seen much of that lately.

Not after the remakes showed up

#104 6 years ago

So that pretty much nullifies your last statement then doesn't it.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So that pretty much nullifies your last statement then doesn't it.

No...because I'd still rather have a brand new remake that plays just like the original than a 20 year old pinball machine that will need a lot more maintenance.

#106 6 years ago

The part about $12000 originals is what I meant. lol.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I bought a game recently but the pinballs in it were old and had a lot of dings. I checked everywhere for NOS Indiana Jones pinballs. All anyone had were generic repros. No thanks, I'll play with my old tired rusty balls until I find what I need.

The funny part is, a decade or so before the end as we all will know it, you'll be back, stuck, and left playing with your rusty, old, tired balls once again.

We should all feel so lucky if our women don't desire a clean freshly polished set of balls on their playfield, or We'd all be left with playing with our own in whatever state they may be in. Some just downright useless and unplayable.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Not when the original is going for 12k. These are not precious works of art (for the most part)....they are big toys.

Some did and may still say that about the 57 Chevy, 69 camaro z28, any of the first 15sh years of the corvette, or the 427 big block vette, or etc etc etc, well all those but the entire car market and car collector market with all those original pieces of art/ history/ pure joy.

Even those who collect what's left of actual toys made up until the 90s, may argue it could be art of sorts. I guess it depends on what your definition is.

#109 6 years ago

"Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?"

#110 6 years ago

What would happen, if like cars, the only version of a classic desired, would be the one that is in original unmolested form, or of original time produced parts?No new pf, plastics, ramps or even screws? The mm, or mb or name title here, original, in 5 plus years, start getting bought up by collectors with deep pockets and big warehouses, who give a crap about ever using or playing what they're buying. They want return on their retirement and will sell to the next rich family who looks for the same. It could happen. Be a lot of pissed of guys with repro parts. Their mm still collectable, but similar to say price difference of a 50s corvette with numbers matching engine vs the one without, or with the wrong engine. Worth good money but, not even close.

The rest of us can't afford originals, buying 2000 whatever year new camaro and corvettes. Big bucks, all new, fast fun, but won't be worth anything in our lifetimes. Depreciate to nothing in 5 to 10 years.

Chew on that.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears poncho?"

Poncho? Maybe not, but Sears is very close to becoming history. Sucked since they went Chinese. Tools rust and break, quality is crap. It'll be an old sears sign selling for tons of money, for that little piece of what was once a great nation.

None of us really know til it happens.

#112 6 years ago

So the question is now, if I want a real bitchin' Camaro, should I get an early Z-28 and hope it continues to go up in value, or buy a brand new one and let the chips fall where they will when I want to trade it in in five years?

#113 6 years ago

Well, if you just want a fun performance car, not the v6 either that everyone else has and would only impress you and say your 10 year old son, and had little to no chance, in your lifetime of being collectable, or go up In value, then go new, but if you want a proven collectable that won't fluctuate or plummet in value after a year or 10. You want cool factor, and anyone who is anyone that knows cars, to stroke your ego and be great conversation maker. Well the original will never disappoint. When your 10 year old becomes a young man, will appreciate your decision all the more. It's a no brainer. Besides the fabrication, etc for parts would be easy on the original, where if gm went belly up good luck with finding talent that could fix or make replacement electronics, and the chance of lawsuits if they tried.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Some did and may still say that about the 57 Chevy, 69 camaro z28, any of the first 15sh years of the corvette, or the 427 big block vette, or etc etc etc, well all those but the entire car market and car collector market with all those original pieces of art/ history/ pure joy.
    Even those who collect what's left of actual toys made up until the 90s, may argue it could be art of sorts. I guess it depends on what your definition is.

Quoted from leonml:

What would happen, if like cars, the only version of a classic desired, would be the one that is in original unmolested form, or of original time produced parts?No new pf, plastics, ramps or even screws? The mm, or mb or name title here, original, in 5 plus years, start getting bought up by collectors with deep pockets and big warehouses, who give a crap about ever using or playing what they're buying. They want return on their retirement and will sell to the next rich family who looks for the same. It could happen. Be a lot of pissed of guys with repro parts. Their mm still collectable, but similar to say price difference of a 50s corvette with numbers matching engine vs the one without, or with the wrong engine. Worth good money but, not even close.
    The rest of us can't afford originals, buying 2000 whatever year new camaro and corvettes. Big bucks, all new, fast fun, but won't be worth anything in our lifetimes. Depreciate to nothing in 5 to 10 years.
    Chew on that.

Quoted from leonml:

Well, if you just want a fun performance car, not the v6 either that everyone else has and would only impress you and say your 10 year old son, and had little to no chance, in your lifetime of being collectable, or go up In value, then go new, but if you want a proven collectable that won't fluctuate or plummet in value after a year or 10. You want cool factor, and anyone who is anyone that knows cars, to stroke your ego and be great conversation maker. Well the original will never disappoint. When your 10 year old becomes a young man, will appreciate your decision all the more. It's a no brainer. Besides the fabrication, etc for parts would be easy on the original, where if gm went belly up good luck with finding talent that could fix or make replacement electronics, and the chance of lawsuits if they tried.

Please...one more cargument...I know you can do it.

#115 6 years ago

The fact is, if a small group of people started paying 20k plus for all original survivor machines, where do you think most of you guys opinions would fall on remakes? If, like a new mustang or camaro, or whatever car they remake, is a superior car in every way, but just will never have the cool factor of the originals, well guess what car many would have or afford, but no one would deny which car they'd rather have? No matter how cool you'd want to be, or desire, your new flashy miracle of technology will always fall short.
    We'd all be ripping our cpr parts out, scrounging to find original parts to cash in. It's what happens, people cave to the cash.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

New Challenger vs. 1970 R/T ?

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

The fact is, if a small group of people started paying 20k plus for all original survivor machines, where do you think most of you guys opinions would fall on remakes? If, like a new mustang or camaro, or whatever car they remake, is a superior car in every way, but just will never have the cool factor of the originals, well guess what car many would have or afford, but no one would deny which car they'd rather have? No matter how cool you'd want to be, or desire, your new flashy miracle of technology will always fall short.
    We'd all be ripping our cpr parts out, scrounging to find original parts to cash in. It's what happens, people cave to the cash.

Good Job...I knew you could do it. (Hell, that was before you even read my post...most impressive).

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

New Challenger vs. 1970 R/T ?

Look...and this goes for most "original vs remake" arguments.

If "cool" is the only thing you care about then "original" wins virtually every time.

If you want the greatest performing Corvette you buy a brand new one....if you want the "coolest" Corvette you buy a 1963 coupe.

I own a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. It's better in virtually every single way over the original...that being said you can certainly make the argument that the original is "cooler".

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well, find me a collectable that compares. Wanna talk original barbies vs the last 20 years, especially the piggy Barbie for the sjw types. Maybe that's more your speed?
    Maybe the value of film, say loonytoons vs remakes. Ghostbusters original vs sjw pile of dog shat? What's more valuable to history, or people with a clue? Maybe new if you want to show people what sucks.
    See, being a man with fairly large testicles, an alpha male, not a cuck in his mom's basement, as much as I appreciate my childhood and the coolness of toys from the the last great decade, I'd rather reference cars, and own cars. It's an adult thing,vs toys.

#120 6 years ago

I'm not sure what it is worse. People starting a thread to whine about leaving the hobby or pinside or every thread turning into an F'ing cargument.

#121 6 years ago

To be fair, on car forums, I heard they are considering using pinguments when discussing that subject.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Look...and this goes for most "original vs remake" arguments.
    If "cool" is the only thing you care about then "original" wins virtually every time.
    If you want the greatest performing Corvette you buy a brand new one....if you want the "coolest" Corvette you buy a 1963 coupe.
    I own a 2016 Charger Scat Pack. It's better in virtually every single way over the original...that being said you can certainly make the argument that the original is "cooler".

Yes, and your new better in every way car, lacks cool to everyone in cars. You own that very car for one singular reason, and that's just for hopes that some of that cool from the original graces you at some point. Why do they remake anything? Because it's superior to anything newer? Hell no!! It's to monopolize on the cool factor to make money. Always falls short.

63 vette coolest? Come on. It's cool but it's not even top 5 of vettes.
    I often ponder the fact that people have declared certain things to be the end all be all. The 69z camaro is declared king because of what? That line that goes from wheel well across the fenders? seriously. Who made these standards for all to follow for what's best design or coolest?

Just like the Beatles, overrated historically with that awful bubble gum pop. Bruce Springsteen, seriously? Yellow submarine and pink Cadillac? Amongst other crap. Please, can anyone stand up and say, this crap music is really crap. Bob Dillon? Yeah he was a great lyrics writer, and poet, but he should've never, recorded and sang on anything.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

No...because I'd still rather have a brand new remake that plays just like the original than a 20 year old pinball machine that will need a lot more maintenance.

The older board systems are fairly solid and serviceable. The newer ones--they don't appear to be nearly as serviceable.

But--most older games were routed at some point. It's rare to find one in exceptional, untouched condition.

I had a chance to play an AFMrLE recently, and compared to all the routed AFM's I'm accustomed to, the brand new one was a real treat to play.

But, I'd probably never buy either one at the current market prices. Either way, prices for high end or NIB games are a little ridiculous.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Well, find me a collectable that compares. Wanna talk original barbies vs tyre last 20 years, especially the piggy Barbie for the sjw types. Maybe that's more your speed?
    Maybe the value of film, say loonytoons vs remakes. Ghostbusters original vs sjw pile of dog shat? What's more valuable to history, or people with a clue? Maybe new if you want to show people what sucks.
    See, being a man with fairly large testicles, an alpha male, not a cuck in his mom's basement, as much as I appreciate my childhood and the coolness of toys from the the last great decade, I'd rather reference cars, and own cars. It's an adult thing,vs toys.

lol

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Yes, and your new better in every way car, lacks cool to everyone in cars. You own that very car for one singular reason, and that's just for hopes that some of that cool from the original graces you at some point. Why do they remake anything? Because it's superior to anything newer? Hell no!! It's to monopolize on the cool factor to make money. Always falls short.
    63 vette coolest? Come on. It's cool but it's not even top 5 of vettes.
    I often ponder the fact that people have declared certain things to be the end all be all. The 69z camaro is declared king because of what? That line that goes from wheel well across the fenders? seriously. Who made these standards for all to follow for what's best design or coolest?
    Just like the Beatles, overrated historically with that awful bubble gum pop. Bruce Springsteen, seriously? Yellow submarine and pink Cadillac? Amongst other crap. Please, can anyone stand up and say, this crap music is really crap. Bob Dillon? Yeah he was a great lyrics writer, and poet, but he should've never, recorded and sang on anything.

Well I'm just glad that you sir are the arbiter of what is and isn't cool. Glad we got that cleared up.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The older board systems are fairly solid and serviceable. The newer ones--they don't appear to be nearly as serviceable.
    But--most older games were routed at some point. It's rare to find one in exceptional, untouched condition.
    I had a chance to play an AFMrLE recently, and compared to all the routed AFM's I'm accustomed to, the brand new one was a real treat to play.
    But, I'd probably never buy either one at the current market prices. Either way, prices for high end or NIB games are a little ridiculous.

I agree with everything in this post except finding the remake a treat to play. It was a spectacular thing to look at for sure. But I found the flipper action to be total weak sauce compared to a well tuned, if even high mile original. They started out fairly strong and then faded into oblivion.

#127 6 years ago

On a side note.
    Does anyone have an original gremlins lunch box thermos they want to get rid of? For some reason, having had a fairly shit childhood, I clung to the little I got as a kid, and took care of what I could, but I couldn't prevent my adopted parents from allowing the brother who destroyed everything, from using my beloved thermos, for which he cracked and broke, dropping it while deer hunting.
    I want to sell it for top dollar, or maybe keep it for bragging rights and cool factor when they announce the remake and remake the movie and release the new lunch box, which will look like the original, but I hear is made of space shuttle materials and have a holographic image that appears when you open it.
    Thank for anyone willing to help.
    By the way, most the story is true. Wouldn't mind that thermos.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not being untouched, as in never driven never played, it's original, as it was meant from factory, no new this that or the other sparkles.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

You own that very car for one singular reason, and that's just for hopes that some of that cool from the original graces you at some point.

That's just perfect...not even on my list of reasons why I bought that car. Never owned the original and never really liked the original that much.

I bought it becasue:
    500hp and four doors
    Bang for the buck vs other current high hp vehicles
    Technology (I got every option and love them) Adaptive cruise control is a must for me. Auto high beams are fantastic. Lane assist is nice on my 8 hour highway trips.
    25mpg on the highway is ridiculous considering the 500hp.
    I personally think it looks cooler than the original (although I can appreciate that others feel differently).

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well I'm just glad that you sir are the arbiter of what is and isn't cool. Glad we got that cleared up.

Never said that, but if the market and the gods of collectables declares dog turds More valuable then cat turds, no amount of arguing would swing the opinion or convince those buying to see my point.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Not to mention the 65 MPH speed limit, of course.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You mean 75? It's 75 here on the highway (so really 80) and 65 on many the two lane side roads.

#133 6 years ago

Oh we got 65 here. Used to be 70 until the gas crisis. It took decades and a song by Sammy Hagar before they raised it back up from 55. Some places in Texas I think it's 80 or 90 MPH.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

That's just perfect...not even on my list of reasons why I bought that car. Never owned the original and never really liked the original that much.
    I bought it becasue:
    500hp and four doors
    Bang for the buck vs other current high hp vehicles
    Technology (I got every option and love them) Adaptive cruise control is a must for me. Auto high beams are fantastic. Lane assist is nice on my 8 hour highway trips.
    I personally think it looks cooler than the original (although I can appreciate that others feel differently.

Well I guess the guy who buys the family mini van makes a justified argument for having it, definitely never for cool, but you'd be the first man buying a modern rendition of an original hot rod car, you don't like, for it's features.
    I'm personally not an originalist purist, but I wouldn't buy a remade whatever if my original was more valuable no matter how much better the remake was.
    Personally I like chip foose type thinking. I'd take the numbers matching engine, store it and drop a supercharged ls motor in it, mated to a 6 speed or higher trans, since were getting 8 speeds, etc,and have the best of both worlds. Could even mod the chassis for better handling, ad long as I could put it back to original and cash in our pass it on.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, there are the trips to the country that allow for some fun, plus with minimal work, they let you on racetracks.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I agree with everything in this post except finding the remake a treat to play. It was a spectacular thing to look at for sure. But I found the flipper action to be total weak sauce compared to a well tuned, if even high mile original. They started out fairly strong and then faded into oblivion.

Maybe for you brother, but for many including myself, playing an original MM at a show with decent flippers is rare treat indeed.
    Most Ive played couldnt consistently make it up the damn ramp.
    A reflection on the owner for sure, but a total letdown as a first impression on a rare game.

I think the original v remake debate is a bit tired don’t you think?
    Glad Pinball today has something for everyone.

#138 6 years ago

Get a bitchin Camaro and run over your neighbors.

#139 6 years ago

Isn't more access to the hobby for more people always a better thing?

Purists can keep the older versions if they choose, but getting more people playing the most popular games is a win for everyone right?

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Get a bitchin Camaro and run over your neighbors.

I've got a "bitchin camaro!"

#141 6 years ago

Yes we all cling to our childhood music as the best. Some may declare the caveman genius for harnessing and using fire, but i say the invention of the stove and microwave, the real genius. I mean, fire appeared from lightning, half the genius came from God.

If new kids on the block came out in the 60s, they'd be the Beatles, then when rock started being popularized and their music career is never-ending, you can morph into writing rock songs for which you admit to ripping off other musicians and what did lenon say? Oh yeah they heard other musicians songs and wrote music from it that was their own, I'm paraphrasing. Lol. New kids of the 60s would've released hangin tough to cheering women, and then after hanging on in music longer then most groups in following generations are allowed, given a chance to transform, could've wrote Helter skelter.

Who decides this stuff? Beatles genius, stones, and on and on chosen ones, while other better musicians don't get a mention. U2 had one good album of a few good songs, they still linger and are given God status. Pearl jam, same thing.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Yes we all cling to our childhood music as the best.

I've got a Bitchin' Camaro!!!!

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

Isn't more access to the hobby for more people always a better thing?
    Purists can keep the older versions if they choose, but getting more people playing the most popular games is a win for everyone right?

No, many eventually leave and chase what becomes cool after. I would say. Even the very generations coming up now won't care about pinball. Like music and all the crap they're told is cool, they just follow.

#144 6 years ago

Well I'm 34 and have an arcade in my basement. My fiancee is 24 and loves the games and I see young people all over loving the game.

I'm all for people having access to play pinball. More play is more fans and more money in our hobby to make more new machines.

Exposure to me is what will keep us going.

#145 6 years ago

At least there isn't oversaturation of CGI in pinball to where you can no longer tell what is reality and what isn't . . . wait a minute, I forgot about virtual pinball - fiddlesticks!

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've got a "bitchin camaro!"
    » YouTube video

Perfect example of people with no talent that should be working a crowd of 3 drunks at an all night bowling alley at 3am.

#147 6 years ago

alh-69-camaro-supercharged-twin (resized).jpgalh-69-camaro-supercharged-twin (resized).jpg

#148 6 years ago

Needs more LED's to finish off the mod!

#149 6 years ago

Imagine if Hollywood stopped being creative a decade or so ago and decided to just remake what was the best in film, with a splattering of a few good newer films, and many of them were great originals but they remade, even the newer good films a few years later, without a complete story, point or proper ending, just sjw nonsense...... hey wait a minute.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

Well I'm 34 and have an arcade in my basement. My fiancee is 24 and loves the games and I see young people all over loving the game.
    I'm all for people having access to play pinball. More play is more fans and more money in our hobby to make more new machines.
    Exposure to me is what will keep us going.

Yes but oversaturation of a good thing will make for copies of copies of copies of ideas for money sake, decreasing value and loss of interest. Eventually something will be deemed collectable or valuable perhaps and the rest just novelty. Who knows. The More pinball machines made, the cheaper many games will get. Already seeing it with newer releases and prices In the tank so some can own the latest and greatest. Sooner or later something will give. There's only so much money and so many buyers, but a never-ending supply of new games and remakes.

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-done-farewell-pinside-support-group-for-people-w-remake-syndrome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.