Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm buying one of these, I have now decided. I spoke to Jack the other day about some of my concerns, and he answered all questions. Great guy.

Definitive factor for me is Keith Johnson is apparently off the leash, which literally may blow our minds at what a rule set could be.

For any of you that do not know, Keith Johnson is responsible for the rules from TSPP and LOTR - you know, the two deepest games ever made. Now, 8 years later, with a company that wants to make the best machine ever made, for pinball lovers, and he can do whatever he wants.... I’m sold....

I’m not one to ever previously speculate on upcoming releases, but this machine has insane potential.

#2 11 years ago

when a company lets the main designer/artist do what he wants, it usually is a great result!!
lets wait and see

#3 11 years ago

Hey rip van winkle, welcome to the party it is January 2011 and you made it. Thanks for the timely advice.

#4 11 years ago

I am buying one also and must admit that Keith is a big reason why. Unfortunately, I'm much more excited for Predator and Xmen both of which I'm also buying. Both those pins to me seem like they'll have much more flow. I'll get to play a WoZ this saturday and see it for myself.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I am buying one also and must admit that Keith is a big reason why. Unfortunately, I'm much more excited for Predator and Xmen both of which I'm also buying. Both those pins to me seem like they'll have much more flow. I'll get to play a WoZ this saturday and see it for myself.

Saturday? Do you know something that we do not?

I sort of expect that the announcement on Tuesday 6/5/12 will be about the test games, but have not heard anything definite yet.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Hey rip van winkle, welcome to the party it is January 2011 and you made it. Thanks for the timely advice.

Hahaha....nice one

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Inquiring minds want to know.........

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

markmon said:I am buying one also and must admit that Keith is a big reason why. Unfortunately, I'm much more excited for Predator and Xmen both of which I'm also buying. Both those pins to me seem like they'll have much more flow. I'll get to play a WoZ this saturday and see it for myself.

Saturday? Do you know something that we do not?
I sort of expect that the announcement on Tuesday 6/5/12 will be about the test games, but have not heard anything definite yet.

Yea, it's supposed to be at the NW Seattle pinball show this weekend. I'm going Saturday.

#9 11 years ago

The IFPA world championship games list, updated 5/30, includes WOZ. Tourney starts 6/8. From what I can gather, that's pretty serious business and one should expect it to be there.

#10 11 years ago

I asked Keith about the rules in the WOZ owners group and this was his response.

"The game will in fact be groundbreaking in many ways, I can guarantee
you that. But it other ways it will still feel the same. There's a
lot of room on that display, so putting it to good use is certainly a
priority. Hopefully it will help explain the game better than some of
what I did in the past.

My hope is that it doesn't take as long for people to really "get" the
game. Usually what happens with games I work on is that people have
an initial impression, good or bad (maybe even more often bad)... But
invariably, if you give them time, you start to "get" it and really
enjoy it. There's always a reason something is done a certain way;
even if you don't understand it at first, sometime shortly thereafter
you will.

There will be straightforward goals and not-so-straightforward goals.
Some of the biggest enjoyment I personally got out of games over the
years was discovering new things you could do or combine things in
certain ways, etc. This is something that is sorely lacking in
current games. I went to the Tron launch party, and feel like I
played 95% of the game that night after only 3 plays. That's
ridiculous.

The goal is great breadth (lots of stuff available for you to do at
once), good complexity (how you can combine things), great depth (many
goals to achieve after the top layer), and little work (not just shoot
the thing in the middle 70 times to start multiball). "

keith

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

There will be straightforward goals and not-so-straightforward goals.
Some of the biggest enjoyment I personally got out of games over the
years was discovering new things you could do or combine things in
certain ways, etc. This is something that is sorely lacking in
current games. I went to the Tron launch party, and feel like I
played 95% of the game that night after only 3 plays. That's
ridiculous.

The goal is great breadth (lots of stuff available for you to do at
once), good complexity (how you can combine things), great depth (many
goals to achieve after the top layer), and little work (not just shoot
the thing in the middle 70 times to start multiball). "

keith

I saw this a while back....that's hilarious that Keith is cracking on Stern and Tron for the lack of initial code and ruleset.....I doubt WOZ comes out half a** with code updates needed to complete the game....

Better late than never Atomic, the Lcd itself will give this pin the storage wars "wow factor"

#12 11 years ago

Found this on IFPA.... Check out the first game on the New game list OH YA!!!

IFPA9 Game List
Here is a tentative game list for the IFPA9 World Pinball Championship. Please note that this list is subject to change, and that at maximum, only 16 games per group will be used. It is also possible that any of the games below could be used in a different group then what is stated below.
OLD

■Captain Fantastic
■Jumping Jack
■Flip Flop
■Loop to Loop
■Nip It
■Twin Win
■Buccaneer
■Fireball
■King Rock
■300
■Grand Prix
■Doodle Bug
■Spot-a-Card
■Eye of the Tiger
■Singalong
■Disco
■Dragon (Interflip)
■Lady Luck (Williams)
■Fast Draw
■Wizard
■Combat
■Wild Card
■Ice Revue
MID

■Whirlwind
■Cyclone
■Banzai Run
■Funhouse
■Quicksilver
■Supersonic
■Alien Poker
■Spectrum
■Black Hole
■Fathom
■Mystic
■Embryon
■Big Game
■Meteor
■Galaxy
■Superman
■Magic
■Stargazer
■Joker Poker
■Countdown
■Nine Ball
■Andromeda
■Split Second
■Seawitch
■Algar
■Frontier
■Medusa
■Escape from the Lost World
■Trident
■Cosmic Princess
■Ice Fever
■Ali
■Viking
■Laser Cue
■Cyclopes
■Six Million Dollar Man
■Harlem Globetrotters

NEW

■Wizard of Oz
■AC/DC Premium
■Tron LE
■Transformers LE
■Ironman
■Spider-Man
■Lord of the Rings
■Wheel of Fortune
■Monster Bash
■Whitewater
■Scared Stiff
■High Speed 2: Getaway
■Indiana Jones
■The Shadow
■Bram Stoker's Dracula
■Attack From Mars
■Revenge From Mars
■Medieval Madnes

#13 11 years ago

Have a friend at the Seattle show so hope WOZ shows up and I can hear about it.

#14 11 years ago

It will NOT be at the Seattle show. But they are still raffling one off there...

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It will NOT be at the Seattle show. But they are still raffling one off there..

Super lame ! I hope this is not the truth. I have a bet that it will not be there ,that was made at the first of the year. I would rather lose the bet and see WOZ .

Jim

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

tomdotcom said:It will NOT be at the Seattle show. But they are still raffling one off there..
Super lame ! I hope this is not the truth. I have a bet that it will not be there ,that was made at the first of the year. I would rather lose the bet and see WOZ .
Jim

Jim,

unfortunately/fortunately it will be. A few are already on a truck from what I heard.

Any particular reason for the angst against the machine? Or is it just the ire of losing a bet?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

When I first read the OP statement I had to do a double take on the date! Then I thought it might be a joke. I was and still am a little confused. So I will add my "Didn't we go over this in January of 2011?"

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Any particular reason for the angst against the machine? Or is it just the ire of losing a bet?

Nothing against the machine , it was a simple bet with a friend that was trying to entice me to go to the show with the reason that WOZ will be there and I said I doubt it and we made a wager . That is all . No big deal right .

Jim

#19 11 years ago

At least when I get my WOZ in July/August it won't be an incomplete mess of code

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Point being that Jack said that Johnson is off the leash and able to do whatever he wants. I had not really heard that emphasized before.

I debated this machine many times, but when I heard that, I decided that I was in.

Coaster:

I'm not like you man I don't buy everything new and purge the old stuff, this will be my first NIB. I usually don't care unttil it comes out and I can put my hands on it. Many more nay's of late new, so a much safe tactic IMO.

But with the photos up now, and the possible rules, and looking at it, this is the first time that I am confident on something before it has been released.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm much more excited for Predator and Xmen both of which I'm also buying. Both those pins to me seem like they'll have much more flow...

?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At least when I get my WOZ in July/August it won't be an incomplete mess of code

That is going to be great ! Just think you will never have to bitch about anything ever again, and the machine will be perfect for years to come . Man you are one smart/lucky dude !

Jim

#23 11 years ago

I heard just a couple days ago, that it won't make the show now. Read about it on the Seattle yahoo forums...

But stranger things have happened...so maybe it will be there...

Tom

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I heard just a couple days ago, that it won't make the show now. Read about it on the Seattle yahoo forums...

I will know first hand , I really hope it is there so I can see the greatest pinball machine ever built ! It will be a sad day that I spend all my hard earned money to go to a great pinball show and the greatest pinball machine ever might be a no show .

Jim

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That is going to be great ! Just think you will never have to bitch about anything ever again, and the machine will be perfect for years to come . Man you are one smart/lucky dude !

Hahaha...that's funny Jim, no we'll leave the "bitching" and smart ass comments totally up to you! I'm a really smart guy, you are right But I'm sure it won't be the best pin ever made in history like AC/DC though

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

It will be a sad day that I spend all my hard earned money to go to a great pinball show and the greatest pinball machine ever might be a no show .

I'm crying for you right now Jim!...its really sad

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm a really smart guy, you are right

All I had to do is look at your impressive collection and know you are one not to be messed with !

SMART SMART SMART !

Jim

#28 11 years ago

If someone wants to give me 2k, I will buy a WOZ. Other than that, BBH 4 life!

#29 11 years ago

WOZ is the main reason why Stern has "upped its game". Competition is good for all of us . . . for that reason alone WOZ should be supported. I personally did not order this game due to the theme; I ordered some glass from JJP though and I will go for his next game.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

All I had to do is look at your impressive collection and know you are one not to be messed with !

All hail Jim! You're the best Jim and so is AC/DC What's this thread about anyway...

Better not mess with me Jim

It's a shame you get so upset about a thread about people getting excited about buying a new machine that you could care less about....great attitude Jim!

And I've had nothing but nice and complimentary things to say about you and your work....you want to be a smart a** again with me, that's fine

#31 11 years ago

jim will be a woz fan once he sees the build quality, fit and finish of the machine. there is no way he wouldn't appreciate the build quality alone...jim is a perfectionist

jim will be a jjp owner some day, he just doesn't know it yet.

why wouldn't jim buy a ferrari (jjp) for the same price of a ford (stern)

all in fun jim

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#33 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Fucking laughable ! You shit on everyone and I have not ! Are drinking already this morning ?

You are the only one that has talked about other pins in this thread no one else has. Get a life poser!

Really......anyone else want to weigh in on who "i sh*t on".....

Grow up Jim, are you two years old? "Get a life poser"....Good one Jim!

#34 11 years ago

I will know first hand too, haven't missed the show yet. My son and 2 friends are coming down as well. Thursday-Monday. I can't wait to win it haha

#35 11 years ago

Please take your childish insults to each other , privately .

#36 11 years ago

I have NO doubt that WOZ will be a fantastic pin, but I'm pretty driven by theme, and the ruby slipper flippers kinda skeeve me out.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Please take your childish insults to each other, privately .

Indeed. Please keep it civil, people. Personal attacks and profanity will not be tolerated.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Please take your childish insults to each other , privately .

Glad to see the "banker" on here...you must be BR's friend from NC

Have you ordered a WOZ?

My apologies on the Jim exchange for whatever my role in it was......

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Indeed. Please keep it civil, people. Personal attacks and profanity will not be tolerated.

I hear you but it really weighs on me when a guy apologizes for bagging on others peoples pins then does it over and over ?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-apologies-to-the-board-for-acting-like-a-d-bag-last-night

I am done with this thread and my only disappointment is that I may not see WOZ this weekend . What does that have to do with my AC/DC ?

Jim

#40 11 years ago

anyone who is going to the show please take pics and or video and post here. thanks and enjoy.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I hear you but it really weighs on me when a guy apologizes for bagging on others peoples pins then does it over and over ?

Get over yourself Jim.......unbelievable........you want to keep posting the garbage I'll go back and dig up all of your BS! I can't stand you and you can't stand me...that's it...adios

#42 11 years ago

Yes I have WOZ ordered. Should be interesting to see if they set a new standard regarding quality.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Definitive factor for me is Keith Johnson is apparently off the leash

Uh, so Gary Stern had Keith Johnson on a leash? Not sure what you mean by this.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

WOZ is the main reason why Stern has "upped its game". Competition is good for all of us . . . for that reason alone WOZ should be supported. I personally did not order this game due to the theme; I ordered some glass from JJP though and I will go for his next game.

I wouldn't have liked it either originally Tiger but the Woz slot machines were so good with the LCD's I thought it would be cool....we'll see...hopefully #2 will be unlicensed before Hobbit...

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Yes I have WOZ ordered. Should be interesting to see if they set a new standard regarding quality.

Yes it will.......are you a Wake Forest fan being right there? I'm a huge Carolina fan!

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

WOZ is the main reason why Stern has "upped its game". Competition is good for all of us . . . for that reason alone WOZ should be supported.

Could also be the reason why prices are getting crazy, with old and new titles. Interesting how everything shot up during the course. Can't get much for under 6K anymore (nib). At this rate, people are going to be dropping 12-18k a year on new titles. Interesting to see how that turns out.

#47 11 years ago

No thanks for me the theme and look is not one I want in the collection. Usually I can get past the theme and even look but I can't think of a DMD theme already made that I would like less than WOZ. That said, I bet it will be a very fun pin & I hope all that get it love it. I can't wait to see and maybe even buy a future JJP release though.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

honda350r said:I hear you but it really weighs on me when a guy apologizes for bagging on others peoples pins then does it over and over ?
Get over yourself Jim.......unbelievable........you want to keep posting the garbage I'll go back and dig up all of your BS! I can't stand you and you can't stand me...that's it...adios

I gotta admit, I'm with iceman on this one. Hypocrisy runs rampant when hondajim spews here.

#49 11 years ago

I am buying a WOZ once the standards are in stock.

It looks fantastic & I want to reward/support JJP's tenacity, innovation & creativity.

Thinking about that Xmen NIB too now that a Wolverine LE was mentioned, but that is a story for another thread & "a horse of a different color"

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm with you man, the theme alone completely turned me off. I have no kids and I just can't see myself getting amped up to venture through oz. However, I must compliment JJP on their work, it seems like they have dedicated themselves to the project. I am anxious to hear reviews and see it in action, been a long time coming.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 24.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-buying-a-woz-and-why-you-should-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.