(Topic ID: 51187)

I'm bored and want a new pin so I have a plan.

By rmancini

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gov
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
100_0169.JPG
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm going to start ebaying random crap I never use around my house and see how long it takes to get enough money in my paypal account for a new pin. Well not new but you know what I mean. There has got to me 3k worth of stuff I never use. I update this post on my progress.

Any thoughts on a good pin for 3k?

I already have a Funhouse and a last action hero & terminator 2 delivering soon.

-Rob

#2 10 years ago

Why don't you just do what that one guy on ebay did, trade a red paper clip up to a pinball machine.

#3 10 years ago

Sure, Junk Yard , Whirlwind , Tommy if you can find one for 3K , Red & TED's Road Show. Data East STAR WARS . Good luck.

100_0169.JPG100_0169.JPG

#4 10 years ago

I actually did just that to get my first (and only so far) machine. I sold off most of my action figure collection, some comic books, statues, and all sort of other stuff I'd collected over the years. Made more than enough to get my beautiful HUO RCT that I got for $2,500!

Best decision ever! It's AWESOME to watch the total go up up up as you get closer and closer to the pin you want. I had a blast doing it. I liked all that crap I sold, but I LOVE my pinball machine! I don't miss that stuff at all now, and I play my pin every day.

Good luck!

#5 10 years ago

I've considered this but I get attached to things and don't sell them. I've got a fender blues deluxe amp and a gretsch guitar that I never use anymore, those alone could buy me a new pin. Or I have over $1000 worth of warhammer armies that I haven't used in a few years. I'm too sentimental to sell them even though I should.

#6 10 years ago

The Pinball bug has another victim, ......... Welcome aboard the crazy train

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I've considered this but I get attached to things and don't sell them. I've got a fender blues deluxe amp and a gretsch guitar that I never use anymore, those alone could buy me a new pin. Or I have over $1000 worth of warhammer armies that I haven't used in a few years. I'm too sentimental to sell them even though I should.

I totally get you, and I was really sentimental about my collections for a long time too. I think for me it was that owning my own pinball machine was basically the coolest thing ever, so I looked at it like I was trading those hobbies for this one. I think budget will factor in too. I couldn't afford a pin without selling stuff off. If I had had the cash for the pin, I wouldn't have sold anything.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

The Pinball bug has another victim, ......... Welcome aboard the crazy train

hahaha I have been on board for a bit now. And I just find myself making space for new pins. hahha

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

I actually did just that to get my first (and only so far) machine. I sold off most of my action figure collection, some comic books, statues, and all sort of other stuff I'd collected over the years. Made more than enough to get my beautiful HUO RCT that I got for $2,500!
Best decision ever! It's AWESOME to watch the total go up up up as you get closer and closer to the pin you want. I had a blast doing it. I liked all that crap I sold, but I LOVE my pinball machine! I don't miss that stuff at all now, and I play my pin every day.
Good luck!

Same here! I play my Funhouse every day since I got it. It never gets old. And its been almost a year. I like restoring it to. I had fun getting new ramps, plastics, removing the mylar and now it looks and plays 100x better than when I got it.

#10 10 years ago

Just play games on route. Its a lot cheaper and they switch games around all the time.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Just play games on route. Its a lot cheaper and they switch games around all the time.

Maybe where you live the games on route are in good shape, but around here most pins in the wild are pretty trashed. There are definitely some places to go where they keep pins in good shape, but they are few and far between for sure!

#12 10 years ago

Maybe where you live the games on route are in good shape, but around here most pins in the wild are pretty trashed. There are definitely some places to go where they keep pins in good shape, but they are few and far between for sure!

+1 to that, most locations that I can get to regularly are in terrible condition and priced high as well

#13 10 years ago

That is really sad to hear. We have 16 pins in my area and almost all of them work in top shape and all for 50 cents.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I have a decent amount around here. but for me it's just as much fun cleaning and fixing them as playing them. Plus I can have people over to play.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Sure, Junk Yard , Whirlwind , Tommy if you can find one for 3K , Red & TED's Road Show. Data East Star Wars . Good luck.

You should be able to get any one of those games for less then $3,000.

#16 10 years ago

Shadow!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 10 years ago

Congo!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I'm with you. Most of my more valuable stuff has some sentimental value to me. I've thought about doing it, but can never really bring myself to pull the trigger. I did sell off one of my pool cues recently. That fetched some nice cash, and I can't say that I miss it.

#19 10 years ago

I did the same thing. I use to be a drummer and hockey goalie... however I had a horrid spinal chord injury exactly a year ago and have been dying to get Tron. I finally got out of (8 months 3x a week for 3 hours) PT and went back on the ice again and told my wife I can't do this anymore, I'm selling everything on ebay and buying a Tron.

Two weeks later I had a NIB Tron and couldn't be happier for my health and for getting this pin.

#20 10 years ago

Dont waste $3,000 on a B Title, save up and get a real pin like an AC/DC Prem or similar. That's just my $0.02

#21 10 years ago

The Getaway: High Speed II is an awesome pin for around $1800.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Dont wast $3,000 on a B Title, save up and get a real pin like an AC/DC Prem or similar. That's just my $0.02

I tend to agree with this thinking!

#23 10 years ago

I sold a chunk of my sports card collection to fund my last two pins, and it didn't even make a dent. I don't miss any of it. My favorites and sentimental cards I kept.

#24 10 years ago

HS2
Demo Man - flow and ramps! You seem to need a ramp game
Dr. Who
EarthShaker
Whirlwind
Shadow

#25 10 years ago

I'm doing the same thing this week , all my vintage video games are hitting the auction house, funding hopefully 2 more pins!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

I tend to agree with this thinking!

OR stick to your guns if you really only got $3k to spend and wait around for the $1k b title specials and do a little polishing and repairing. Well worth the effort as you can end up with 2 pins for the price of one restored B title.

#27 10 years ago

WTH? B titles are a waste of money?

Quoted from Nemesis:

Dont waste $3,000 on a B Title,

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Sure, Junk Yard , Whirlwind , Tommy if you can find one for 3K ...

Your post made it sound like it is difficult to find a Tommy for $3K.

Is that what you meant ?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Sure, Junk Yard , Whirlwind , Tommy if you can find one for 3K , Red & TED's Road Show. Data East Star Wars . Good luck.

Agreed! All good games

#30 10 years ago

I like your idea and believe I will also steal it, not sure what I have around, and the fact that I plan on putting on a new roof this summer will hinder the plan a bit, but hopefully make some good progress. Good luck with your fundraising.

#31 10 years ago

Everyone is making really good points! I don't know now I have my eyes on an AC/DC! hahaha. lets see how much stuff I can sell in 30 days. A new in box sounds fun.

#32 10 years ago

If you haven't played one yet, prepare mind to be blown. Best pin I have ever played, and I have played much of the top 50 in good playing condition most recently.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Dont waste $3,000 on a B Title, save up and get a real pin like an AC/DC Prem or similar. That's just my $0.02

disagree with this a bit. It's good logic if you find that ACDC is a pin you must have and love (i like acdc), but don't rule out cheaper pins just based on price or others opinions. Play them yourself as there is PLENTY of pins in your price range that are a lot of fun and lot's of people really like. Personally I'd love an ACDC as it's a great pin and I do have access to the money if I wanted one (even if it is more than I want to spend on one pin) but I'd take my RBION and WW over it as they appeal to me more gameplay wise.

Not trying to make an argument so please don't turn it into that, just saying OP shouldn't rule out cheaper games based on other opinions or automatically assume if a pin costs xxx amount it must be great.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

WTF. A "real" pin? Ignore that ridiculous advice. If you want an AC/DC and can afford it, then great, but to say that that's the only way to get a "real" pin is utter nonsense.

#35 10 years ago

Dont ignore the Gottlieb SYS 80 ,80A, and 80B's...

I have an ALL gottlieb collection now, and i have NEVER sold on Gottlieb out of my collection...

I have had A titles, NIB and all that jazz, but cant let the Gott's go...they are just too cool and way too much fun...

For 3K you can 3 HIGH QUALITY, excelent condition, gott's..

I am updating my collection in my profile...check it out....

#36 10 years ago

ACDC is a great game, there are many games around the 3k mark that are just as good/fun or better.

I would not recommend dropping new money for your first pin. It is always better to get that second pin as fast as possible, as one will also get boring, no matter what.

#37 10 years ago

I sold my gun collection for my first nib, great plan!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Dont ignore the Gottlieb SYS 80 ,80A, and 80B's...
I have an ALL gottlieb collection now, and i have NEVER sold on Gottlieb out of my collection...

That's just crazy!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

That's just crazy!

No, its just awesome !

I have more fun with these games than I ever had with Stern, or B/W's...

Not saying I didn't enjoy those but these things are a blast....

Look on PAPA's video archives, and watch a Devils Dare kick the shit out of the top A division players...

My DD is a rippin fast widebody, and it takes no prisoners... a buddy of mine came over for my last pin party and he is a solid B div player, and DD beat him into submission.

ball or 3 ball multiball, a timed multi ball mode if you can earn it, and just cool objectives..

Not to mention HARD !

#40 10 years ago

Transformers LE can be found used for prox $4200.It's a fun game with lots of challenges.Something to consider if you can sell more stuff.

#41 10 years ago

I am probably going to just buy an AC/DC with money I have saved. But with the ebay money I think I will go with something I probably would never have thought to own. So I'm going to hunt and play around. I have never played shadow or congo so I will check them out.

Here is the stats on where I am at with ebay.

My first item sold yesterday
Penny Hardway Champion Jersey from when I was a kid. $20.50
So my total so far is $20.50

This may take a while.

Anyone else that's doing this I am curious to see your progress!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from rmancini:

I am probably going to just buy an AC/DC with money I have saved. But with the ebay money I think I will go with something I probably would never have thought to own. So I'm going to hunt and play around. I have never played Shadow or congo so I will check them out.
Here is the stats on where I am at with ebay.
My first item sold yesterday
Penny Hardway Champion Jersey from when I was a kid. $20.50
So my total so far is $20.50
This may take a while.

Oh don't sell penny Jersey. I still have mine he was favorite player

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Oh don't sell penny Jersey. I still have mine he was favorite player

It's gone!! I can't wear it anymore ahha.

#44 10 years ago

Will be starting my quest tonight. Also with a jersey collection. Will update soon, good luck with yours.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Will be starting my quest tonight. Also with a jersey collection. Will update soon, good luck with yours.

thanks same!!!

#46 10 years ago

Good luck! I use this tactic to buy everything that I 'want but don't need' including my first pinball machine. It's a great way to go.

Just go through all your possessions and ask "do I want this more than [x]?"
If the answer is "no" then it goes on eBay. You'll be surprised how quickly you get cash this way

#47 10 years ago

Good plan to thin stuff and generate funds. I agree with the guys above that think you should not spend big money right away. It is harder to justify the cost even in your own mind. If you start with the $2,500 machines and go up from there you will get hooked and stay with it. If you spend big money on something that you do not love, you will grow tired of the hobby fast.

Just my opinion, everybody is different.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Good plan to thin stuff and generate funds. I agree with the guys above that think you should not spend big money right away. It is harder to justify the cost even in your own mind. If you start with the $2,500 machines and go up from there you will get hooked and stay with it. If you spend big money on something that you do not love, you will grow tired of the hobby fast.
Just my opinion, everybody is different.

yeah totally. Like I said I have one now and 2 more on the way. This will make 4 hahah. So I'm hooked for sure. I do love the way that AC/DC looks though. I need to play it. But I will be really happy If I can get any pin that I enjoy. New or old.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from rmancini:

I've been doing this for a couple months now, (for the exact same reason.. need. more. pinball. money...) and I've made close to 2.5K.

I would say it's far from easy money, though. Uploading/managing dozens and dozens of auctions, answering questions, and shipping (uggh, shipping) certainly eats up its fair amount of time. Just keep your eye on the prize; you'll get there.

#50 10 years ago

A couple years ago I sold my 300+ piece Death Metal vinyl record collection on ebay for over $7k. All that money went to my wedding... I should have bought pins instead!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11.95
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-bored-and-want-a-new-pin-so-i-have-a-plan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.