• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrWizzo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7791.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Reading the threads about ALE has reinforced what Danny has told me about IM that you need to accomplish everything pretty much on each ball.

Given my affinity (or proclivity for all you antiCreechites out there ) for Creech, I am wondering if I should be giving IM more consideration? I like hard brutal games that have set of tasks that need be done in a timely fashion due to short ball times.

I haven't got to play IM much, but for those who have, are there similarities between two, and would you put IM in with games like CFTBL and EBD?

Dan

#3 11 years ago

I defintely remember the "getting whomped real fast"!

I guess the comparison is not so much about the layout, but the clearly defined set of tasks that lead to a culmination like finding the creature. Each game on Creech includes several repititions of trying to accomplish that goal (on good games) and each ball on IM would seem to require the same. As opposed to game of great depth and long ball times.

Dan

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

IM and CFTBL both hard, quick, addictive and when you get a good game it makes it all worth while and is a rush!
Got them both and IM is my favorite Stern and Creech one of my all time favorites.

Okay, so I am onto something. Wasn't sure.

I have had Creech for a while and it is my favorite game. Need to start keeping an eye out for an IM.

I love the games that leave you with your forehead on the glass in exasperation crying, "NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dan

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

IM is A very hard game but I think when most people describe "everything has to be done on 1 ball" it's a little misleading. You can get everything set up close to starting and drain but still be just a few well timed shots away from some serious stacking of the objectives. Once you learn how to set things up and what modes are available when you start others you'll find your self getting to do or die quite a bit more often.
Now of course do or die MB is almost impossible but when I saw it once it was kind of a let down and something I wish they would go back and change up a bit.

DOD MB a letdown because it is underwhelming, unobtainable or not completable?

Dan

#16 11 years ago

Great discussion everyone! Thanks for all the insights. It sounds like there are similarities I would really enjoy and additional challenges I was not aware existed, so this is really helpful. Clearly there is a wart on two, but that's okay. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Smassa, do you think the DOD MB could be improved with (dare I say it) better code? Does it feel unfinished at all? What do you guys think average pricing is for one?

Dan

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from IckinItwit:

I think the difficulty of the two games come from very different things. Creature is fast and difficult because the playfield is very tight and close to the flippers, and the fact that the staged multiball is only two balls can be very difficult to get through to the super jackpot on. You get punished for missed shots because you have little time to react since the objects the ball is ricocheting off of are so close. The ramps return very quickly also, so it's easy to miss the timing for an accurate shot and lose control. But if you don't miss a shot, you'll keep control of the ball. Even the bumpers have a very regular return to the flippers down the slide orbit shot.
IM has a much more open playfield, but I think the difficulty in that game comes primarily from the fact that everything you're shooting to start modes is inherently a dangerous shot to shoot and you will lose control from trying to progress. Monger stand up and magnet, war machine kickback, whiplash magnet, Iron Man targets, drone targets, nothing that you're shooting has a safe return to the flippers. There are safer ways to shoot some than others, but the game is designed for you to need to regain control after every shot you make.
If you were 100% accurate with your shooting on creature, you'd always have control and you could achieve a super jackpot and other higher-scoring objectives every game. 100% accuracy on IM will only get you so far, you'd also need to be skilled at regaining control to do well consistently on IM.

Thank, Icky. That really made a lot of sense and helps a lot. Good post.

Dan

#21 11 years ago

Got an IronMan coming! Really excited to add another short ball-time, brutal pin.

Creech and IM - The Bruise Brothers!

Dan

#23 11 years ago

Ah, yes, we can all use a little more dysfunction, can't we?

Wifey back playing Creech?

Dan

1 week later
#27 11 years ago

Got to DODMB shot last night and made the center shot for a 50M bonus. This reminded me a lot of the JP/SJP features of Creech. Both DODMB and JP/SJP are achievable as many times in a game that you can pull off.

EDIT: The author accepts all resposible for the errors contained in the above and asks the court to take into account gross ignorance and unbridled enthusiasm of the author.

Dan

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from IckinItwit:

I think there's a difference between getting Do or Die shot for 50M, and the Do or Die multiball, which I think is triggered when a certain set of repetitions of each mode are accomplished. I thought that's how it was described in a different thread; might be wrong though.

Especially given that the shot did not start a multiball IIRC Makes sense as the lights go from solid to blinking the second time you complete the mode suggesting there is another level.

Still learning.

Thanks Icky.

Dan

1 week later
#31 11 years ago

Played the game for a little over a week now.

Quoted from smassa:

IM is A very hard game but I think when most people describe "everything has to be done on 1 ball" it's a little misleading. You can get everything set up close to starting and drain but still be just a few well timed shots away from some serious stacking of the objectives. Once you learn how to set things up and what modes are available when you start others you'll find your self getting to do or die quite a bit more often.

Now, I understand what you mean now.

Quoted from goatdan:

In my opinion, an IM set up correctly will make the CFTBL seem easy by comparison.

I think I have got it dialed in pretty well: white rings; mildly steeper pitch; newly waxed; levelled; harder MONGER settings; more powerful slings.

It is brutal and does make CFTBL seem milder although both IMO are cut from the same cloth. IM is Creech on steroids with a healthly dose of bi-polar disorder.

Quoted from Gerry:

Do or Die is attainable..
I know of NO human that has ever proven that they have gotten Do or Die MB with the glass on..

I hope it was clear that I was confusing DOD Hurry Up with MB not knowing the game yet.

And you still know of NO human that has....add me to that list of non-provers. If accomplished, it would be one of those once in lifetime games.

Quoted from IckinItwit:

If you were 100% accurate with your shooting on creature, you'd always have control and you could achieve a super jackpot and other higher-scoring objectives every game. 100% accuracy on IM will only get you so far, you'd also need to be skilled at regaining control to do well consistently on IM.

Couldn't be any truer. Creech teaches you the importance of accuracy, which will get you only so far on IM. IM is teaching me to improve control, have a healthy respect for shot choice given its speed and the randomness the magnets and kicker can create, and anticipate how to nudge. Even on the more liberal setting, the outlanes are brutal. DCFAN pointed out why. The mini post between the lanes is slightly lower that the top of the sling creating chasms of ball-engulfing drainage. The more powerful slings often place the ball in there like virgins being tossed into the volcano.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-and-creech?tu=mrwizzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.