(Topic ID: 26455)

I'm An Idiot....A Cautionary Tale

By jk2171

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Well, as the title suggests I am publicly declaring myself an idiot in the hopes that my story helps others out.

I bought a BSD a couple of months back, and the machine had played flawlessly up until three weeks ago. At that time, the DMD was showing some 'static', and not displaying the images/text properly. As a standard 'first attempt' I went ahead and turned the machine off, reseated every ribbon cable, and turned it back on. Well, it quickly got worse as I could hear the coils lock on, one of the flippers was locked, and I had no DMD at all. I couldn't access the test mode, had no lights, nada. S***...what the hell did I just do? I then reseated the cables again, and tried it. Still nothing. Now I was blowing the 7a fuse at F115.

Over to Pinside and RGP I went in search of some clues. A lot of conversations in those places brought up a bad bridge rectifier; some talked about coil wraps coming undone and the wire coming in contact with a lug. I got out the DMM and took some readings and couldn't quite figure it out still. Now I'm not great yet with a soldering iron, so I wasn't about to try and replace the bridge rectifier. Bottom line was my beloved BSD was out of commission, and I didn't know when I'd be able to fix it.

Last night, I had some time to finally get another chance at it. This time I carefully inspected all of the ribbon cables and connectors for damage. Lo and behold, three of the damn ribbon cables were reseated improperly!! Must be my 41 year old brain going to pot, because I thought I reseated those suckers perfectly. Just for good measure I replaced the 4 3A fuses on the Fliptronic board, said a prayer, and turned it on. I'm happy to report...DRACULA LIVES!!!!!!

So, for you everyone who has poked around in their machines, and felt like they f'ed things up a word of advice: carefully make sure your connectors and cables are firmly seated PROPERLY. Sometimes it really is that simple.

#2 11 years ago

When I first started reading your description I was thinking you may have reseated incorrectly. You do not have to remove the cable to re-seat it, just rock it up the pins without taking it off the pins then press it back a couple times.

A method I have found that works well for me is to put the cable end at a 90 deg angle to the header pins so I can see them lining up, then tip the cable on the the pins. It is very easy to connect them off a row. Glad you didn't damage anything else! Great story, you are not an idiot, you just did not realize, now you know and you will make sure they are lined up correctly. Live and learn

#3 11 years ago

You're not the first and you won't be the last. ALWAYS suspect work you previously did and remember KISS....keep it simple, stupid.

Too many times, people think the worst and start looking for something that isn't there. Start at the beginning and rule out the simple stuff. Most times, that's all it is.

#4 11 years ago

Whew! Good story with a happy ending.

+1 to BK's comment. All of my 'major' damage on my games has been inflicted by me trying to solve an issue in the wrong way.

#5 11 years ago

bsd sounds likes it's a pain in the a$$ in the repair dept for most people. endless "help" posts on this game.

#6 11 years ago

Congrats! Don't let that brain go to pot. Drugs are bad, mkay.

#7 11 years ago

I'm telling ya I fix more machines by letting them sit for a few days...then another 10 minutes of work. Usually after spending hours chasing a problem down.

Not sure why this works...but it does

#8 11 years ago

Damn connectors get me everytime.

Ive had misseated jones connectors all the time on the EMs.

#9 11 years ago

The Dracula Curse Strikes again!!!!

My DMD cables need re-seating even if no one plays the game.....I get Strange displays, constant
    blood and weird sounds.

I say a prayer, cross myself, exercise a few demons, then re-seat cables....the curse is gone until
    a blood moon.......

#10 11 years ago

If you don't want me to play your BSD, it's ok, you don't have to make up phantom issues.

Glad you got it figured out, now go get your AFM working!

#11 11 years ago

Common mistake, good catch! We have all done it at least once.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

If you don't want me to play your BSD, it's ok, you don't have to make up phantom issues.
    Glad you got it figured out, now go get your AFM working!

That's the only one left that needs some TLC. Invite is out there if you want to come by for some BSD and WH2O.

#13 11 years ago

I fried a display and a DMD driver board by working on a game with the power on. I am an idiot and very lucky it only cost me a couple of hundred to fix my mistake and I did not get fried by working with the power on.

#14 11 years ago

You repaired it so you re not an idiot

#15 11 years ago

I wonder if something like this could cause a Frankenstein machine to stop uttering any audio calls... like hypothetically, if one had just had the CPU board out for service and then plugged everything back in and all of a sudden it only plays the hurry-up music...

You know, hypothetically speaking. I may try some reseating exercises when I get home.

#16 11 years ago

Maybe we should start an "Idiot" thread. A couple weeks ago, I stole a fuse from my SuperSonic machine for another machine I was working on because I had no 3/4 Amp fuses. When I got some more, I replaced it, then found out none of my controlled lighting was working. Looked inside, saw that I had snapped the fuse in between fuseholders instead of into the right one, DOH. Applied the high voltage DC (200V +) to the 5V lighting buss. Replaced all circuit boards and power supply one by one with another Bally machine to troubleshoot, nothing changed, wtf? Ended up that I fried every controlled light bulb in probably a nanosecond when I hit them with the high voltage, quantity of 74. Got away cheap, still feeling pretty stupid.........

#17 11 years ago

Glad your BSD is back up and running.

Quoted from maniac:

Maybe we should start an "Idiot" thread.

I put a 14" scratch in an otherwise pristine piece of Invisiglass a few nights ago. Would this qualify for your thread?

#18 11 years ago

If you're feeling adventurous, I have a 36-part video series bringing my BSD back to life... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD0BC7072C81EA9BE&feature=view_all

I'm sure I make plenty of mistakes therein.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I put a 14" scratch in an otherwise pristine piece of Invisiglass a few nights ago. Would this qualify for your thread?

I won't comment on if that qualifies, but if you scratch Invisiglass, is the scratch invisible? My guess: no.

#20 11 years ago

Let's see, I've done the misaligned cable once, that took an hour before my eyes caught it. I also replaced a EOL switch and flipper coil. I sodered the leads on the wrong terminals. So when I turned it on it cycled like crazy and died. I thought it took out an SCR. So I replaced the MPU and then power supply with spares. Turned out my EOL switch was just barely open instead of closed. It was the simple thing and not the Apocolypse. Lesson: No more wine during repairs, even simple ones.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Glad your BSD is back up and running.

Let me guess.
    Slid it out with the coin door open?

#22 11 years ago

You are not an idiot.
    That's a good catch on your part to find the mis-seated connector.
    You are only an idiot if you seriously damage something expensive.
    And even then, I would cut you some slack. We all do idiotic things once in a while.

Glad you've got it up and running.

#23 11 years ago

Glad to read I'm not the only one who has done something like this. Let's keep the 'Idiot' thread going! It's entertaining.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

If you're feeling adventurous, I have a 36-part video series bringing my BSD back to life... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD0BC7072C81EA9BE&feature=view_all

Thanks for the link...looks like interesting viewing.

#25 11 years ago

I haven't done that type of oversight with a pin, but I have with a car.

I took the top side of a 4cyl engine apart back in the late 1970's, a Ford Pinto I owned to change a head gasget. I took care to diagram everything as I went. Got it all back together and it wouldn't barely even run. I double-checked everything to my diagram multiple times but found no flaw.

The car sat outside covered in my Minnesota driveway snowdrift for about a half year while I bummed rides from friends, took the bus etc as I tried to figure it out. I checked the fuel system, checked for proper spark, valve timing etc etc etc.

Later I got hold of a manual and found my firing order was off. I had put the spark plug wires in wrong.

How embarrassing!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Let me guess.
    Slid it out with the coin door open?

On the contrary, the door was closed. As I pulled the glass out, it somehow scraped against the lockdown bar mechanism. I had recently moved my games around, so something must have shifted just enough to cause the metal to stick up higher than normal. Badbilly was there when it happened. I imagine the look on my face was not one of delight.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The Dracula Curse Strikes again!!!!
    My DMD cables need re-seating even if no one plays the game.....I get Strange displays, constant
    blood and weird sounds.
    I say a prayer, cross myself, exercise a few demons, then re-seat cables....the curse is gone until
    a blood moon.......

ummm, I don't think "exercise" was quite the word you wanted here....

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

No more wine during repairs, even simple ones.

The wine is for AFTER the repair

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Man, I love your BSD videos. I'm on #12. I bought a BSD recently and really appreciate your efforts. Say, where do you get your 91% alcohol?

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

You repaired it so you re not an idiot []

When I'm repairing EM's sometimes you have to go over the same thing a dozen times until it works and have to test the machine each time, in which all it takes is one time to put something in the wrong way, forget to latch down a relay bank, whatever just once, then bam, just what happened to you, which eventually happens to all of us who work on our own machines EM or not.

Bottom line: Your golden, you fixed the problem and got the machine going, good job! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Ken

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Whew! Good story with a happy ending.
    +1 to BK's comment. All of my 'major' damage on my games has been inflicted by me trying to solve an issue in the wrong way.

Ain't that the damn truth...

I remember watching the back box of HMM fall right off.
    I almost died.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from pflueeb:

Man, I love your BSD videos. I'm on #12. I bought a BSD recently and really appreciate your efforts. Say, where do you get your 91% alcohol?

Go to any CVS, Walgreens, etc type drugstore and get the 91% Isopropyl in the really big bottle for like 5 bucks.

RussMyers

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I'm telling ya I fix more machines by letting them sit for a few days...then another 10 minutes of work. Usually after spending hours chasing a problem down.
    Not sure why this works...but it does

Enough time to run through scenarios in your head?

If it is a long Trouble shoot I find this also helps to walk away and come back later that day or the next day with a solid game plan to fix it.

I have reseated one ribbon cable wrong before and it makes you feel really stupid because it is such a simple task. I really like the rocking the connector idea instead of pulling it all the way off the pins.

Thanks for the post your not alone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-an-idiota-cautionary-tale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.