Well, as the title suggests I am publicly declaring myself an idiot in the hopes that my story helps others out.
I bought a BSD a couple of months back, and the machine had played flawlessly up until three weeks ago. At that time, the DMD was showing some 'static', and not displaying the images/text properly. As a standard 'first attempt' I went ahead and turned the machine off, reseated every ribbon cable, and turned it back on. Well, it quickly got worse as I could hear the coils lock on, one of the flippers was locked, and I had no DMD at all. I couldn't access the test mode, had no lights, nada. S***...what the hell did I just do? I then reseated the cables again, and tried it. Still nothing. Now I was blowing the 7a fuse at F115.
Over to Pinside and RGP I went in search of some clues. A lot of conversations in those places brought up a bad bridge rectifier; some talked about coil wraps coming undone and the wire coming in contact with a lug. I got out the DMM and took some readings and couldn't quite figure it out still. Now I'm not great yet with a soldering iron, so I wasn't about to try and replace the bridge rectifier. Bottom line was my beloved BSD was out of commission, and I didn't know when I'd be able to fix it.
Last night, I had some time to finally get another chance at it. This time I carefully inspected all of the ribbon cables and connectors for damage. Lo and behold, three of the damn ribbon cables were reseated improperly!! Must be my 41 year old brain going to pot, because I thought I reseated those suckers perfectly. Just for good measure I replaced the 4 3A fuses on the Fliptronic board, said a prayer, and turned it on. I'm happy to report...DRACULA LIVES!!!!!!
So, for you everyone who has poked around in their machines, and felt like they f'ed things up a word of advice: carefully make sure your connectors and cables are firmly seated PROPERLY. Sometimes it really is that simple.