(Topic ID: 132552)

I'm absolutely livid over this experience..Am I over reacting...

By sparechange1974

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 288 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images_1.jpg
funny.jpg
the-fat-lady-sings.jpeg
dead-horse.gif
torches.jpg
Dickpunch.jpg
wizard.gif
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 8 years ago

So picked up my first NIB game a couple weeks ago and it was a lot of money. The game arrived without a hitch. I got it set up and went through the initial adjustments. I noticed the ramps were cracked up by the screw heads so I turned in a support ticket. I also noticed a molding that holds the glass had a little mark in it. I was really bummed out, but I figured it will be covered since the ramp was cracked while the game was being built and ramps screwed down to tight so I turned in a support ticket. A couple weeks later I get a response. Basically, I'm being told that since its only cosmetic and it doesn't effect the functionality of the game its not covered. Despite that it was cracked during the manufacturing process. I've tried to reason with them and by this logic if the play field was scratched by the manufacturing process that wouldn't be covered either. Anyway, I love the game but I am so pissed that this company can't stand behind what they broke. Peed off enough that I'm considering getting rid of the game(two weeks old) and never doing business with this company again. If they can't stand behind a cheap plastic ramp, whats gonna happen on a real issue? I don't feel I should have to be on my hands and knees begging like I am, to get something covered that shouldn't have been sent to me broke in the first place. They have said this is fairly normal to have the ramps cracked up by the screw heads(even on a new game)

Anyway, I do love the game and clearly I'm upset right now as a matter of principle. Is it normal to have cracked ramps on NIB games(it bugs the heck out of me)? This is just not the first time buyer NIB experience I wanted to have .

Considering its a NIB game, am I over reacting on this?

IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

#2 8 years ago

For the price you paid - they should cover it. That's a flaw in their manufacturing process.

#3 8 years ago

So, it took 2 weeks to get a response to your support ticket?

#4 8 years ago

That wouldn't bother me but you have every right to be disappointed. These things are expensive. They should replace the ramp if the customer is unhappy. It's not unreasonable.

#5 8 years ago

What pin are you talking about?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For the price you paid - they should cover it. That's a flaw in their manufacturing process.

Especially when trying to build a good rep as a company.

Send him a damned new ramp lol.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Its linked. WoZ

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Looks like WOZ

#10 8 years ago

Pretty obvious the game/manufacturer and I'm not surprised in the slightest. I am surprised that anyone would still buy one of these NIB when there are so many up for sale in "like new" condition (including my own) but I suppose if maybe you were hoping the warranty was worth it?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

So, it took 2 weeks to get a response to your support ticket?

To be fair, I've gotten rock solid support(quick response) on the rest of my issues/set up advise, just cosmetic ones that were not responded to very well.

#12 8 years ago

Beat me by a second. Yeah at that price point the game should be flawless.

#13 8 years ago

Clearly. Very first pic you're looking right down on the tornado plastic.

#14 8 years ago

"Pay no attention to the cracks under the screws".......seriously that is BS.
wizard.gifwizard.gif

#15 8 years ago

To be fair to JJP, I wouldn't really consider those "cracks" and more like very, very minor stress fractures. I bet some automotive scratch "remover" could make them nearly invisible too if it really bothers you. I don't think you would have to look too hard to find those on a Stern as well.

#16 8 years ago

I'm shocked JJP isn't taking care of you. That's pretty lousy customer service. I've had cosmetic issues like that with NIB Sterns, and they bent over backwards to make me happy. They even replaced stuff that was well out of warranty a couple times.

#17 8 years ago

The tornado is a mod and does not come with WOZ out of the box. I'm hoping the cracks were pre-mod addition.

tim

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

The tornado is a mod and does not come with WOZ out of the box. I'm hoping the cracks were pre-mod addition.
tim

Guessing it's a Ruby Red.
I think the Ruby Red's come with those mods installed at the factory.

#19 8 years ago

Its a RR

Quoted from Sidekick74:The tornado is a mod and does not come with WOZ out of the box. I'm hoping the cracks were pre-mod addition.
tim

It actually came with the Tornado. Its a RRLE75th.

#20 8 years ago

Do I think it's a big deal? No. It's a pin, not a precious collectible.

That said, for the outrageous price you paid for a Ruby Red you should get a game that's not cracked. If JJP wants to charge that much for a game they should send it out looking clean and nice. And if not then take care of it.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

am I over reacting on this?

Not at all. This is crazy. Whoever installed those screws had no idea what they were doing. They should never have put a game like that in the box to ship it in the first place.

#22 8 years ago

I would call Jack directly and discuss. He may see there's an opportunity to create some goodwill here.

#23 8 years ago

I had a couple of spider cracks like that in my WOZ. It didn't bother me much, and it's my second nib game. It's really out of sight from the front. But hey, That's just me.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I would call Jack directly and discuss. He may see there's an opportunity to create some goodwill here.

He'll probably just start sending PMs to everyone who posted in this thread.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

tim

Yeah, as noted, it's the JJP offered mod (made by Matt at Back Alley) and can be pre-installed on a NIB now.

#26 8 years ago

IMO "Absolutely Livid" is definitely over reacting. But I certainly understand being an unhappy customer.

#27 8 years ago

I think it's an overreaction - but I understand. I have had those on my games and don't think much about them

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I think it's an overreaction - but I understand. I have had those on my games and don't think much about them

Quoted from T7:

IMO "Absolutely Livid" is definitely over reacting. But I certainly understand being an unhappy customer.

I would not be too upset by the cracked ramp. Sh!t happens. What would make me livid is them not doing anything about it. This was supposed to be the end-all-be-all of pinball machines and pinball companies.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No. It's a pin, not a precious collectible.

Then they need to stop marketing to the home and putting plaques and numbering LE. Once the manufacturers went down this route and started marketing them as collectibles, they are collectibles.

If this was the 90's and it was being set up for a route, then the it "is just a pin" perspective works. Operators would not complain about this, collectors do. A manufacturer charges 9000 for a home use collectible, a premium price for a "Limited Edition", they need to service the market they created. These are being sold to cross over collectors, hence the "75th Anniversary Ruby Red Edition".

By picking WOZ as a theme, they purposely were trying to tap into the collectibles market.

#30 8 years ago

Same worker who put that together will being doing Hobbits soon'ish.....I guess you know now you will get some damaged pieces on it with no support from JJP

#31 8 years ago

Ill agree with a few others here. Jack can easily be reach, from my dealings with him he will bend over backwards. Sucks this happened but I am sure with a few phone calls it will be fixed and in the long run, yeah it sucks but Sh!t happens, if he does what I think he will do it will be resolved.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This was supposed to be the end-all-be-all of pinball machines and pinball companies.

And then the reality of running an actual manufacturing business set in........

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

And then the reality of running an actual manufacturing business set in........

I think it's still just "setting in" and the old mentality of "whatever they want, send 'em free parts" and "we'll take as long as we need on this new game until it's perfect" is waking up to the financial reality.

#34 8 years ago

I would consider it a minor issue. Being "livid" is overreacting IMO, but if I were JJP I'd send you a new ramp. It is clearly a defect...granted, not one that is visible really but I'd try and make you happy.

#35 8 years ago

Just something to consider - JJP may have made this a policy to avoid getting scammed. If they send out free ramps for this level of damage, the word will get out and many customers will call in to get their "free ramps". And I bet most customers would leave the existing ramps on, and keep the new replacement as a spare for down the road. Also, customers might be uncomfortable replacing the ramp themselves - so now they have to pay a tech to do a house call?

I'm just saying, it could prove to be a very costly decision for this minor wear/issue. Just considering it from a different perspective.

#36 8 years ago

I don't think you are overreacting at all. When we purchase any BRAND NEW item we the customer have an expectation to get something pristine. That's why we buy brand new isn't it? I know i do. Is it really over reaching to expect that. Maybe I'm too fussy but i go over everything i buy to check for imperfections and if i find something i expect it to be replace or compensated in some way IF i choose to keep it.
Overreacting @sparechange1974.....NO WAY this is a high priced item and it should be 100% Perfect.

#37 8 years ago

Imagine picking up your new Ferrari and it has minor cracking in whatever body part and your salesman tells you its just cosmetic and they won't do anything.

#38 8 years ago

Send it back for an exchange.

#39 8 years ago

Not that it should be happening, but I think this type of plastic is super easy to crack like this. Star Trek Pro ramps are similar and mine had stress cracks right out of the box. I think if you got a new ramp and installed it perfectly, it might start stress cracking when the machine is played.

My solution would be to get some shiny washers to hid the cracks and spread out the load so they don't get worse. Good luck!

#40 8 years ago

No offense whatsoever meant to the OP but if something of this caliber is THAT upsetting to you, you very well may be in for a lifetime of disappointments.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Pretty obvious the game/manufacturer and I'm not surprised in the slightest. I am surprised that anyone would still buy one of these NIB when there are so many up for sale in "like new" condition (including my own) but I suppose if maybe you were hoping the warranty was worth it?

I actually passed a WOZ LE Emeral City that was listed for $7200 that was 45 minutes away from me partly because of the warranty on the NIB.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Send it back for an exchange.

Na, just open a dispute with your credit card company....

If the only thing Jack responds to now is $$$$$, that will get his attention.

This is starting to sound like the guy who had to PAY for his defective PF to get replaced....

#43 8 years ago

If only people could get their point across..

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Then they need to stop marketing to the home and putting plaques and numbering LE. Once the manufacturers went down this route and started marketing them as collectibles, they are collectibles.
If this was the 90's and it was being set up for a route, then the it "is just a pin" perspective works. Operators would not complain about this, collectors do. A manufacturer charges 9000 for a home use collectible, a premium price for a "Limited Edition", they need to service the market they created. These are being sold to cross over collectors, hence the "75th Anniversary Ruby Red Edition".
By picking WOZ as a theme, they purposely were trying to tap into the collectibles market.

Well said. These are very expensive hand-made toys and sending out a replacement part isn't a big deal. Not like we are talking about sending out a populated PF for some imperfection in the artwork or clear coat...that would be a tougher call.

#45 8 years ago

Can you find out the price of the ramps from your distributor/jjp? That might be the start of negotiations especially if its a part you can replace on your own..

#46 8 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I do want to clarify. I wasn't "livid" until I got the response back that they wouldn't cover the ramp even after acknowledging at likely happened at the factory. Things do happen and I'm a very reasonable guy(most of the time) and willing to work through the issues. Considering the price point and reasons for buying new it sounds like I wouldn't be the only one that was disappointed by the response I received. I will reach out to Jack after I cool off and hopefully he'll make it right. I did try to work with them and I needed some perspective which is why I posted here.

As much as I'm not real impressed(not by the broken ramp), but by the grind fest in trying to get them to cover issues in the manufacturing process. Believe it or not, I'm glad they are in business as they have really stepped up the game on the technological side of things which gives all of us better products down the line with competitors. I can't say that I will keep my machine or buy another from them at this point, but hopefully they'll get some process's in place to make sure things like this don't happen in the first place and when things do break(which is gonna happen) hopefully they won't put customers like me though hell for something that is fairly small in the big picture.Nothing worse than pissing a guy off that's in the middle of building a collection(especially over a cheap plastic ramp) Seems like the ramps issues could be fixed with using washers in the first place and if they break sometimes or crack, fix them before they go out. Don't make the customer the final quality check.

After all of this, as most seem to understand it's not about the cracks in the ramps, its about the handling of the issue. I do appreciate the outside perspective.

#47 8 years ago

sucks... for the price that's bogus.. you're getting near new car territory, and they wont replace a part that costs under $100? pfft

#48 8 years ago

Perhaps call Jack directly?

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Just something to consider - JJP may have made this a policy to avoid getting scammed. If they send out free ramps for this level of damage, the word will get out and many customers will call in to get their "free ramps". And I bet most customers would leave the existing ramps on, and keep the new replacement as a spare for down the road. Also, customers might be uncomfortable replacing the ramp themselves - so now they have to pay a tech to do a house call?
I'm just saying, it could prove to be a very costly decision for this minor wear/issue. Just considering it from a different perspective.

Fair enough except that JJP asks you to ship all of your defective parts that you receive from them back to them. If you don't, they will bill you for them. I know this as I have shipped at least six defective parts to them. JJP should absolutely send you a new ramp if it is damaged. You will then need to ship the damaged ramp back to JJP.

#50 8 years ago

Is it a big deal no. I probably wouldn't have even noticed that. With that said for a 9K game ity should be pretty much perfect and they should just send you a new ramp. No reason to piss off a first time customer over a ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-absolutely-livid-over-this-experienceam-i-over-reacting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.