(Topic ID: 7522)

I'm about to start restoring my STTNG, quite a challenge!

By action76

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Berserk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Post2_download.jpg
Post2_IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG
post_IMG_6070.JPG
post_IMG_6060.JPG
post_IMG_6059.JPG
post_IMG_6056.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I am about to start on my long and probably expensive restore project. I got this STTNG from a former operator who had kept a few games and stored them in a non climate controlled shed for several years. Not to mention I don't think it was ever cleaned or very rarely done anyway. I guess the temperature changes caused the surface rust. This will probably take a while since I can't work on it nearly as much as I would like to, but I will update the thread as I progress. Hopefully I can turn it back into a nice looking and playing machine. Hopefully, I'm not crazy

post_IMG_6056.JPGpost_IMG_6056.JPG post_IMG_6059.JPGpost_IMG_6059.JPG post_IMG_6060.JPGpost_IMG_6060.JPG post_IMG_6070.JPGpost_IMG_6070.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Wow! That thing is rusty. Good luck with the restore. Have fun with it and if it starts to feel like work, walk away and come back a day or two later. If you can have fun, keep expenses low, and end up with a nice machine, it’s a win win and a worthy endeavor.

Win most likely do my TZ someday, I want it to be mint.

#3 12 years ago

Wow. Looks like it will be hard work, but also very rewarding. How are the electronics? Would love to follow your work on this, so if you're updating on an external (personal) site, please send me the details!

#4 12 years ago

Good luck with the restore. I'm about a week and a half into my JM restore and it is taking longer than I thought. But I think I'm in a similar situation as you where I can only spend an hour or so on it every day.

And Yes, post some pics of the process.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

I'm about a week and a half into my JM restore

I have a JM from this same guy I will have to restore too. I may have to hit you up for some advice when I get to it.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from action76:

I may have to hit you up for some advice when I get to it.

I'll be updating a thread with my progress. It's my first time completing tearing a machine apart so I'm learning as I go.

"This Old Pinball" DVD's have been really helpful.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

How are the electronics?

Everything seems to be ok on that side of things except a reset problem whenever either flipper button is pressed. I have checked most of the optos and coils and they seem to all be working. I don't think I have gone into the coil test and tried firing the flipper coils because one of the four test buttons is bad and I need to replace that assembly.

#8 12 years ago

Do the boards look pretty clean? No bulging capacitors or anything obviously not looking right? With a reset problem it is helpful to re-seat all connections securely to see if something as simple as a loose connection is the culprit before moving on to more complicated diagnostics.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Do the boards look pretty clean? No bulging capacitors or anything obviously not looking right?

I didn't see anything obvious on the boards. They all look pretty clean and good. I will examine them a little more when I can.

#10 12 years ago

Im scared to see the underside - I dealt with a rusty machine on the bottoms side, and wont do it again - good luck keep us posted

#11 12 years ago

1100-1300 and your golden assuming the cab is good.
and thats going chrome with it.

STTNG is a great game to restore...very rewarding.

#12 12 years ago

My workshop is certainly open to you if you need a place and tools to work.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

My workshop is certainly open to you if you need a place and tools to work.

Thanks, I'll have to see how it goes. If it seems to be taking forever I might have to take you up on that.

Quoted from fusion301:

Im scared to see the underside - I dealt with a rusty machine on the bottoms side, and wont do it again - good luck keep us posted

The underneath actually looks pretty good rustwise. It's a bit dirty and has a few repairs needed, but not too bad.

#14 12 years ago

Well I got started tearing down the PF. This is going to take a while because the pin is not at my house because of lack of space (not the final frontier ) I only get to work on it on the weekends, and not every weekend. I did bring most of the parts home so I could clean and restore them during the week. I will post more as I get to it.

IMG_6201.JPGIMG_6201.JPG IMG_6206.JPGIMG_6206.JPG

In case you can't read the print on the first picture, it says: Found a wadded up paper towel behind the metal backstop. What the heck was this done for?

Post edited by action76 : Typed hard to read caption from photo.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from action76:

What the heck was this done for?

Is it a treasure map?!

Just kidding. Good luck with the restore, you're off to a good start.

#16 12 years ago

It is great to see you putting in all the time and effort to restore a worn out pin and making it shine once again action76!! Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Not sure what would be up with the paper towel unless it was to support a failing backstop.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from action76:

Found a wadded up paper towel behind the metal backstop. What the heck was this done for?

Could it be that a ball was somehow getting stuck there?

I've got a pencil eraser (one of the big pink rectangular ones) wedged behind the magnaflip sign on my TZ, because balls keep getting stuck there (no idea how they're supposed to not get stuck there, or what the designers were thinking when they made a pinball sized hole right behind a springy sign that would hold the ball in).

#18 12 years ago

I think its great that you are resurrecting STTNG. Its a super pin and well worth the effort. Best of luck action76. Remember....shop smart, shop s-mart. Or, walk lightly and carry a big boom-stick!!

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

I've got a pencil eraser (one of the big pink rectangular ones) wedged behind the magnaflip sign on my TZ, because balls keep getting stuck there (no idea how they're supposed to not get stuck there, or what the designers were thinking when they made a pinball sized hole right behind a springy sign that would hold the ball in).

That's strange. I've had my TZ for a year and a half, and I've never had a single ball get stuck anywhere near that sign. Perhaps your balls are somehow getting more air than mine?

#20 12 years ago

Like I said this is going slowly but I have been working in the PF parts here and there. Here is the Borg ship I redid. There was no cleaning it, so I painted it. Before and after pics below...

Post2_IMG_6258.JPGPost2_IMG_6258.JPG Post2_download.jpgPost2_download.jpg

#21 12 years ago

Nice job! Kudos for bringing back a classic.

#22 12 years ago

Nice! I like the new color on the Borg ship!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-about-to-start-restoring-my-sttng-quite-a-challenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.