(Topic ID: 246921)

I’m about to buy a lightly used Hobbit LE (moving advice)

By Gattiman

7 days ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E7B0BFAB-106D-4D55-9A91-C4102C5BC8E9 (resized).png
    7AA70E76-8D3F-4690-B812-3CA62F25BD6D (resized).jpeg
    disaster (resized).jpg

#1 7 days ago

Idk if this is the place to put this. What are must do’s for transporting a modern pin? I’m renting a 10’ uhaul so it will be covered and strapped etc. do I have to take the legs off or will it be fine to drive about 200 miles with it more or less put together just with the head strapped down and blanketed?

#2 6 days ago

Take the legs off, no telling what a turn can do. Put something between the head and glass.

#3 6 days ago

Also, you don’t need a 10’, a van will do if available

#4 6 days ago

Another vote here for taking the legs off. Hobbit is one of the heaviest pins ever made and I would limit the amount of stress on the cabinet due to turns / bumps that can occur when leaving the legs on. The Uhaul should have tie downs for straps that you can wrap around the game to secure it, use at least a couple and put something in between the strap and game to eliminate damage to the decals.

Regular van will work too and probably be easier to load. For either method I would pick up a big role of plastic wrap from Home Depot. Fold the head down at the location you are buying it from (apply some cardboard between head and side rails to prevent damage to powdercoat), wrap the game with plastic wrap, and then remove legs to move it into the van / Uhaul.

#5 6 days ago

Pay someone to move it.
    It only weighs about 350 pounds.

#6 6 days ago

It is heavy as hell, bring 2 others if you can to help move it.

#7 6 days ago

I’ve rented a dodge caravan to move a pin. I usually use my wife’s Toyota Sienna. No need for a huge truck. Definitely the heaviest pin I’ve ever moved- Just take the legs off, put a protective layer when you put the head down, wrap in a protective plastic wrap to limit damage. Make sure you don’t forget the keys, legs, bolts etc. take the balls out too- don’t want them shaking around or getting loose

#8 6 days ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

It is heavy as hell, bring 2 others if you can to help move it.

My wife works out. I can deadlift like 340lbs even then I’m a little scared lol. She isn’t scared after I made her help me move a 240lb SVS subwoofer upstairs.

#9 6 days ago

Is it a local move?

#10 6 days ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Is it a local move?

From Dallas to north Austin. About 230 miles mostly a straight shot on the freeway

#11 6 days ago

definitely take off the legs....no need for a large van....fits in the back of most SUV's....that being said its a beast to move...need at least two able bodies.

#12 6 days ago
    Quoted from Gattiman:

My wife works out. I can deadlift like 340lbs even then I’m a little scared lol. She isn’t scared after I made her help me move a 240lb SVS subwoofer upstairs.

I’m not sure if I’m more intrigued by ‘my wife works out’ or ‘240 pound subwoofer’...

#13 6 days ago

To add to what others have said, the most likely place for you to do damage to that machine when moving it is at the corners of the bottom of the machine. If you are moving it into a van or any vehicle with even a slightly uneven floor, you life will be 500 times easier with some cheap rollers. This will prevent the bottom of the machine from rubbing against the floor and getting caught on something like a seat attachment and taking a chunk out. I would recommend going to home depot, spending $4 on a 2" PVC pipe and having them cut into 3 pieces of roughly 40" each. When loading into the back of a vehicle like a van, put the machine on the rollers when sliding back then remove the rollers before driving.

Here are the steps I use:
    -Use a dolly with big inflatable wheels if you have to move through grass... a refrigerator dolly will sink
    -Remove balls, tilt bob, coin box, and other loose items inside machine before moving.
    -Fold down top box, and strap to cabinet leaving cardboard or blankets in sensitive areas.
    -Pick up rear of machine and slide a bar stool under the rear of machine
    -Remove rear legs and LABEL for next owner.
    -Gently set rear of machine on ground.
    -Tip machine onto it's bottom.
    -Slide dolly under bottom of pinball machine, with handle between legs.
    -Strap pinball machine to dolly (with lots of padding)
    -You can now hold the machine by the dolly or by the legs when moving.
    -If you need to rest you can rest the machine on it's front legs/dolly wheels while moving.
    -Wheel machine to vehicle.
    -Rest machine on dolly wheels/front legs.
    -Remove straps keeping machine on dolly
    -Lift rear of machine into rear of vehicle (with padding).
    -Push machine into vehicle until you can let go.
    -Remove front legs.
    -Label front legs.
    -Secure pinball machine.
    -Do steps in reverse at final destination.
    -Pinball!

I got stuck in the mud a while back but this picture should give you a good idea on how to move a heavy pin. You do not want to just pick up a Hobbit like it's a coffin.

disaster (resized).jpg
    #14 6 days ago

I don’t understand why you put the rear of the pin in the vehicle first? I put the front( coin door) in first so that it can slide out and onto the ground/ dolly. Maybe I read your post wrong?

#15 6 days ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I don’t understand why you put the rear of the pin in the vehicle first? I put the front( coin door) in first so that it can slide out and onto the ground/ dolly. Maybe I read your post wrong?

When I move a pin my dumbass is doing it by myself. You always put the back bottom of the pin on the bottom of the dolly as shown in the photo above. When you get it to your vehicle, you can remove the strap holding the pin to the dolly, lift up and slide the back end of the pin into the vehicle first, with the legs resting on the ground. You can then reposition yourself and slide the pin in all the way to the front legs, remove the legs, and then slide it the rest of the way in. This makes it easier to move the pin on the receiving end if you are using the same method, and has the added bonus on having the back of the pin at the front of the vehicle. The most likely way for the pin to slide is forward when you hit the breaks. It is much better for the pressure to be on the pack of the machine as opposed to the front where a plunger may be.

I also find it much easier to move a pin on a dolly with the front legs on, but I have to navigate my machine up and down a hill. I maintain the ability to set the pin down and rest if I leave the front legs on, and it is much easier to maintain balance on uneven terrain with the front legs on.

*As shown in picture, don't try and drag a pinball machine up a muddy hill.

#16 6 days ago

No reason you can’t leave the legs on. People ship legs on all the time with STI/beltmann. My 450 pound WOZ and JJPOTC shipped legs on no problem. Just strap it to the side nice and secure with blankets all around to protect it.

#17 6 days ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I’m not sure if I’m more intrigued by ‘my wife works out’ or ‘240 pound subwoofer’...

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-4000?gclid=CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXj6soELnjqgJ4FEO9e1Rq77GmwI2RRpXHpoK3ICfA2o4LfxCSkZrIBoCQY8QAvD_BwE

It’s the best subwoofer I’ve ever personally heard. Tight earth shaking bass for movies. It will make your home better than a movie theater.

And the wife lol.

7AA70E76-8D3F-4690-B812-3CA62F25BD6D (resized).jpeg
    #18 6 days ago
    Quoted from Gattiman:

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-4000?gclid=CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXj6soELnjqgJ4FEO9e1Rq77GmwI2RRpXHpoK3ICfA2o4LfxCSkZrIBoCQY8QAvD_BwE
    It’s the best subwoofer I’ve ever personally heard. Tight earth shaking bass for movies. It will make your home better than a movie theater.
    And the wife lol.[quoted image]

You Sir have done well for yourself.

Enjoy the new game!

#19 6 days ago

Another vote to not remove the legs.

#20 6 days ago

Your wife is 10000x more impressive than the Hobbit pin

#21 6 days ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

Your wife is 10000x more impressive than the Hobbit pin

We’ve been friends for 15 years and she was really over weight (like 200lbs) and I started training her over the years she’s down to 110lbs. This is her 14 years ago. Everyone can change! It’s amazing lol
    E7B0BFAB-106D-4D55-9A91-C4102C5BC8E9 (resized).png

#22 6 days ago

Take the legs off.

And remember to use your legs; not your back.

#23 6 days ago
    Quoted from Gattiman:

We’ve been friends for 15 years and she was really over weight (like 200lbs) and I started training her over the years she’s down to 110lbs. This is her 14 years ago. Everyone can change! It’s amazing lol
    [quoted image]

You and your wife need to write a book on weight loss/physical training, or open your own gym. You will make enough money at that to pay some other sucker to move your machines! Your wife's transformation is nothing less than astounding! Congrats to her for all her hard work and determination!

#24 6 days ago

I'd also get some heavy moving blankets. A large roll of plastic wrap is also good to have. Buy a moving dolly and straps if you don't already have them. Also, be sure to take the balls out!!

#25 6 days ago

Leave front legs on when moving...wow kids today
    Load the back of the machine in the vehicle first...wtf is going on these days?

#26 6 days ago

Better off renting a minivan if it’s a possibility.

#27 5 days ago
    Quoted from Floyd:

I'd also get some heavy moving blankets. A large roll of plastic wrap is also good to have. Buy a moving dolly and straps if you don't already have them. Also, be sure to take the balls out!!

My Hobbit arrived balls in, so to speak. There is a flap that drops down with gravity to block the balls being able to be released from the machine? Is it that this should not be relied on?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    € 18.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside