(Topic ID: 134153)

I'm in the Bulbaholic Anonymous Club...who else wants to admit it?

By MK6PIN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fire.jpg
    20150727_114615.jpg
    20150727_114551.jpg
    IMGA0969.jpg
    IMGA0965.jpg
    IMGA0960.jpg
    IMGA0966.jpg
    IMGA0958.jpg
    2015-07-26_18.23.07.jpg
    2015-07-08_16.55.18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago

Oh Shit, I am likely worse......I come home with a Suitcase of Harbor Freight Boxes, that have all our singles.

One huge ass overstuffed suitcase, and I still run out!!!

Obsession? Hell ya!

We will be testing some new stuff, for release very soon.....Titled "Matrix"

....I cant have enough, so I just make more!!! HELP!!!

#24 8 years ago

I have a package coming to you soon Paul.....It has Purples Put aside for you, if you can wait a few weeks...

But dont blame me, cause you found all these cool ways to use the strips, I blame you, or CREDIT you, thank you, for motivating
    me to create..."whats next".. I hope it all works!

#28 8 years ago

Thank you for that.....Some surprises inside your order!

#38 8 years ago

Not quite staggering rich at a 24/7 job! But everyone can try.
    (Anyone need a job paying $10 or less an hour?)

Just for the record, when searching China, Alibaba, avoid ADT...really bad stuff.
    The major factories, I use 9 factories in 3 countries, dont advertise on these trade boards.
    They have to protect the small industry this is, and respect volume.

But yes, you can buy our $.26 bulbs for $.20, by the 500 or 1000 per color and base, so a 10,000 piece opening order.

Samples sure...but when all is said and done maybe 20% or so is saved, but with a larger volume.
    A bit of limited Variety, service, etc...

#47 8 years ago

Hi Ralph,

No problem in sharing.....but lets complete the information, because as much as this is about Quality, its also price.

Customers should know first, there are at least 3 grades of diodes....Nothing wrong with an "A" or "B" grade, but "C" grade are rejects.
    I am not saying this is the case with this vendor/factory....it simply is nice for customers to know it exists.

Second, when it comes to Price, as even James has shared, I wish to remind in this post, that all our Premium Bulbs, 1 SMD, 2 SMD Faceted, Fluted, and 4 SMD are $.59 each by the 100 or for almost all 12 packs assorted of 25 for the same $.59 and Free shipping Over $99.

Now, with your links, the single un lensed 5050 is a good deal, so yes, even at $.40-$.42 for non polarized...not bad.

Some of the others, like the Twin 3528, which are not the same as 2835, are more money, then US side.

So yes, if one feels they are buying at least 100 of a color, isnt worried about polarization, and wants to save, why not?

The answers are if you are buying in the 1000's, talk to Chris and Melissa, James, or myself...we do have, or at least can have larger volume discounts. (Speaking for myself) These are not posted because it most cases, like the thread on how to buy a New Stern the "cheapest", customers need support. This does take time and cost, and everyone wants the lowest price, fastest service, longest guarantee, etc. Business simply cant survive trying to be everything, and the Hobby and industry lose as a whole.

It simply is a very hard thing for any US company today to do all of those and stay in business.
    The Internet levels the playing field, so consumers can search the Globe for the perceived answer.

In the end result, IMO, if the bottom dollar is all that matters, other things will suffer.

Lets say as an example, myself or any other vendor would "match that price"....we would see no innovation,
    we would likely see less vendors, no vendors at shows (Not enough profit), minimal customer service etc.

Its not as though Vendors cant do it, it just doesnt make sense to do it.
    (We cant get labor for $.15-$1.50 an hour here)

The Hobby needs the support, the innovation, etc.

In conclusion, I am not suggesting that anyone doesnt buy as they see fit, from wherever they want, but to take a closer
    look at what an extra few dollars is getting you, when you need that service, other products, shows, etc.

All LED vendors US side, work at levels I havent seen in other industries, (seriously) to support their customers needs, and as we chat
    amongst ourselves, we do this with the passion of the hobby. I cant share enough my respect for the work Cointaker does, or
    PinballBulbs, Nifty too, to help the hobby and be there.

Id hate to think all my work was simply over a few dollars.....

Art

#51 8 years ago

Try other industries too.....I am retiring from Jewelry manufacturing, one reason is $30 Rubies being sold for $2000-$3000!
    (same with other gems)

Purchasing these are about trust.....a consumer cant shop it, and understand the industry.

Nonetheless, in this industry, jewelry manufacturing, it has become too hard to do an honest job.

In that regard, I constantly receive emails from LED factories overseas.

Ill Paraphrase an email conversation where we were playing this last week in "Price negotiations"

The answer was, ".....I can meet your price, but out of every 1000 bulbs, Id expect my boss to have workers add 100-200 C grade
    bulbs so we can still profit."

My customers deserve consistency, and whether it is bulb lots for you guys or Diamonds for Macys, Disney I have a self degree of integrity that guides me to do not only the best job, but an honest job.

Simply put, for all consumer goods, there are issues not seen yet with the Globe turning to only the lowest price type business.

I dont worry about light bulbs as much as I do the future for many of us, should things change in China....

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

Not to mention, most of us Canadians are tired dealing with the bullshit shipping charges from the states. Chinese packages are almost always cheaper to ship. Figure that one out. lol

Postal shipping is subsidized by the Chinese Government, Much like Yesterdays market collapse there, it doesnt work the same.

US and Canadian Postal bare the cost at a loss, for someone to bring to your door.
    This may change soon.

I certainly am no different...lots of stuff from Ebay with Free shipping from China....but this model cant be sustained without changes
    that have other issues.....like oil being removed from trading in dollars, or US currency, not being the Global Monetary Fund....another topic.

#58 8 years ago

Hi Rob,

Right here.

When we pre packaged sample kits, we had people sending emails to remove 3. add 6, return 4, exchange...
    It just got messy.

So, we ask people today to build what they want.

The site is so efficient, in 15 minutes you can try what suits your needs.

We have simplified even further, with a brightness chart to help:

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1825.htm

I am not sure what else to do, because I am either informed of what I am missing to offer, or emails that say I have too much.

Ultimately, any pre made sample kit will always fall short.

But in General.

EM's 1 LED to a 2 LED maximum in Brightness
    SS Some 1 LED, but 2 -LED to 1 SMD 5050
    DMD 1 SMD to a Twin 2835.

Really only 2-3 choices per game, with most variations being for the GI...
    This issue, and this variance is dependent on Ambient lighting, sensitivity to LEDs and personal preference.

However, I am happy to listen to any ideas and suggestions....

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I need some more yellow frosted...not sure why....but I'm down to only 2, and it makes me nervous...

Have you tried the Twin 2835 in Frosted in Yellow?....Sweet Bulb.....CT has them as well..

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Is it a non ghoster?....need for my WCS

Not yet......

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from louvnj:

Where are you looking to put yellow in WCS? I tried most yellows from Art and James in NG and none were bright enough for me. I am using warm white (sometimes flex's) for yellow inserts and am happy with them. The yellow frosted are fine for the coin toss and such.

I agree. In most cases, people stop with a 1 SMD 5050 in yellow...it doesnt put out much light.

In progressive order, here is how yellow can work better.

Frosted (or Clear...I prefer frosted) Twin 2835 in yellow. Available at Comet and Cointaker Amazing in inserts.
    Magnum or Ultra a 1 Watt Yellow Bulb, unlensed, very bright, narrow beam of 1 WATT of bright Yellow. Available at Comet and Cointaker...Focused Spot lights, Bright Yellow Object lighting.....I find its too much for yellow inserts, and costly.
    Op-Max. Brightest diffused Yellow, over 300 Degree Spread, Use in GI, or Spots, not for inserts. Comet.

I hope if you or others are looking for yellow inserts, you try these out and see whether you like your yellow inserts this way, Warm White, or Pink.

In Spioderman, there are a bunch of yellow arrows clustered in the middle.....Interesting to try to make them look the same...but also to use some of these combinations, to get the yellow you want.

Nothing can be consistent, though. Different companies, plastics used, and years....so I vary what I use....some look better then others.

In My Tommy, I had one yellow Insert, where I guess a different batch of plastic was used.
    With the same bulb, it looked different then the others....I could only match it with Pink....

FUN!

#78 8 years ago

Thanks Chuck,

I do love these as the best for TSPP Towers, My Mountains in white Water, The back of Road Show or Shadow.

Not because I sell these stuff, but because they really do kick ass, I recommend people buy 4-6, in any of the 3 shades of white,
    to have on hand, so you can try them different places on a game, and see what they do for you.

I think its one of the neatest lighting bulbs to mess with...but bright and diffused!

Sorry...no $.07...HA! They really are reasonable and started as high end European auto bulbs running $38 to $76 EACH overseas. Yikes!
    2 Patents, and a US Exclusive, as it took 9 months to create in 6.3V, and more money then a MM......

#80 8 years ago

Thank you,

Non Ghosting Bulbs suffer a bit from Marketing.

In the Average DMD game, one would expect 6 bulbs to Ghost. Sometimes 2-3, and I have seen as high as 8.
    Sometimes, its always an outlane in the same game, other times it varies. Some ghosting is seen only when a Jackpot, Extra Ball, and feature are lit at the same time.

Kits that are made can only solve this by selling all non ghosting Bulbs for the inserts, as its easier for everyone, and not too much more
    money....in some cases.

GI bulbs in almost all games, especially all newer ones, gain no benefit from Non Ghosting.

My view, because I am a cheap bastard, is to do a game all in regular bulbs, play a while, and just change out a couple that need it.
    It may save $10-$20, and if you use our Free shipping or $3.95 small package, One need not worry about doing it all at once.

Regarding Brightness, everyone sees this different. Indeed a Flex or double flex, can be made "brighter" as pushed towards the lens,
    and a good choice when non ghosting is needed, especially with using Twin 2835.

If it suits you, try a couple of them in Yellow, or Sunlight...especially Sunlight in the GI....on your next project.
    You might find you need a lot less non ghosting then you think, and you can see what you think about the yellows and oranges.

As you say, so many different ways to get to the end....But I like the inserts bright like you. and just am in love with Frosted Twin 2835....just me...

It pleases me to go to a show, and see all the variety....not a fan of them all looking the same.....

Art

#82 8 years ago

Thanks James,

I appreciate your wisdom and experience.

I am going by emails of Pinsiders, where the same title, has different inserts that ghost, and do get solved, (I hope)
    with NG Bulbs.

Am I understanding you correctly that this variance is caused by something other...resistor, short etc?

Art

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-a-bulbaholicwho-else-wants-to-admit-it?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.