(Topic ID: 134153)

I'm in the Bulbaholic Anonymous Club...who else wants to admit it?

By MK6PIN

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fire.jpg
    20150727_114615.jpg
    20150727_114551.jpg
    IMGA0969.jpg
    IMGA0965.jpg
    IMGA0960.jpg
    IMGA0966.jpg
    IMGA0958.jpg
    2015-07-26_18.23.07.jpg
    2015-07-08_16.55.18.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Firebaall.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 8 years ago

I'd say if you wanted a large selection to choose from, buying directly from the Chinese manufacturers is insanely cheaper. The markup is staggering from pinball supply shops like Cointaker and the such...

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Firebaall, is that your current strategy? How's that working out? Are you doing it all via mail order via something like Alibaba? Or do you have enough purchasing need to make it worth the trip to Shenzhen? How do you ensure the product is consistent brightness and quality, with consistent color accuracy?
    You're right, the dealers here are expensive.
    You know what you're overlooking? What they offer. These guys work with the community to deliver *desirable* LED products. Color tones we want - not just what is off the shelf. Better brightnesses. Better diffusion. Products with bridges and/or caps built in to minimize flicker. They deal with the manufacturers, ensuring the color is consistent for the product being sold to us (LED production is not an exact science; each batch varies). They recommend each other's products, getting along in the marketplace instead of causing drama.
    All of that costs money. If we want to have those headaches outsourced to people like Art, Chris, and others, then they have to charge enough to cover their costs, their salaries, and then some. I'm glad to have them do the dirty work, especially at my volume (roughly $2500 in LED costs this last year). If my collection was 10x, I'd consider chatting with them about discount opportunities; or consider the trip to China. I certainly wouldn't just leave it up to ordering via Alibaba and hoping for the best.

If I was buying $2500 worth of retail LEDs per year, I would be looking at direct. But that's just me. I don't have a problem sourcing or testing components. If that's something you would rather pass on to somebody else that's cool. I would agree Alibaba is not a place to buy from. Mounds of garbage.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

So do you have a recommendation for a good manufacturer?

Nobody that I have tested from directly. I did bring some cointaker leds that I had purchased to a friend from school that we cracked open. His father's company manufactures LED components for the auto industry North West of Shenzhen. He said they make some just like them. I didn't talk how much but he said cheap. Again, quality I don't know. He also said that many companies make them over there. So I imagine the quality is all over the place.

I was interested, because I've been toying with buying enough to finish my machines. Somebody we should ask, is the HomePins guy. I'm sure he could give us a few quality manufacturer leads.

#48 8 years ago

@ Ralph

That's exactly the point. It can be fun sourcing/testing the components. You're not intending this to be a business, but a hobby experience. That's what it's about... Well that and getting your primary bulbs at a good price.

The vendors on Ali..baba/express are still mostly just middle men (often not caring what they sell). But it's not impossible to find a good vendor and product. I've noticed a lot of those Chinese re-sellers are picking up on the pinball use for the product. The real challenge is to find an actual parts broker. I've used North American brokers to source parts factory direct before, and that's who you want to find for the real cost savings.

Not to mention, most of us Canadians are tired dealing with the bullshit shipping charges from the states. Chinese packages are almost always cheaper to ship. Figure that one out. lol

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Again, this is a hobby for me, and as such, some of the fun for me is being resourceful.

Bingo. This is exactly what it's about.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The Hobby needs the support, the innovation, etc.

I agree with you 100%. Getting the best price on single bulbs doesn't have a lot of room for innovation at this point though. You know what would blow our minds? LED DMD replacement panels @ $45.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I almost feel like the Chinese are cheating on the value of their money some how. How can stuff be that much cheaper there.....

Shenzhen is a SEZ (special economic zone). Loose regulatory laws + cheap labour. The money is made at the expense of the working class in extreme. It's capitalism on steroids.

What kinds of street level pricing did you see on LEDs?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Firebaall.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-a-bulbaholicwho-else-wants-to-admit-it?tu=Firebaall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.