(Topic ID: 24108)

Illuminated Pinball Cards from Pinball Center (Germany) - Anyone Installed?

By jyeakley

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jasonbar
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181024_230913 (resized).jpg
    20181024_230909 (resized).jpg
    20181024_230853 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    D30_9277_78_79_80_81_fused.jpg
    IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

Alright, I got these installed along with a NoFlix Plus playfield kit...I think they look sweet! The install itself was pretty straightforward - after reading the schematic, I found a 12vDC connection under the right flipper that I tied into. As far as the apron, the cards themselves seemed pretty well insulated, but I threw down a piece of electrical tape (on the apron) under each corner of the cards where contact could be made...seems to work great. I do hear a slight buzz, but no big deal - cant hear once game starts.

This machine is coming along...waiting for my Pin-novations topper, SRP webbed rails, and FF speaker kit - then this baby will be complete

I took a short video below, can't tell but glass is on...PDI glass is amazing! Let me know what you think:

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

I found a 12vDC connection under the right flipper that I tied into.

Is this under the playfield or in the cabinet (right side under the flipper button)?

#53 11 years ago

In the cabinet...I mounted the inverters under the plunger and this gives enough slack to get the PF into the service position w/o disconnecting. If I want to put the PF fully vertical, I will have to disconnect each card - not a big deal, just unclipping 2 plastic connectors.

I will try to snap some pics this week of the actual connections.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

In the cabinet...I mounted the inverters under the plunger and this gives enough slack to get the PF into the service position w/o disconnecting. If I want to put the PF fully vertical, I will have to disconnect each card - not a big deal, just unclipping 2 plastic connectors.

Yeah...that's the one I am planning on using. I hope to run my wire back the cabinet and then up the main wire harness under the playfield so I don't have to disconnect. I haven't really looked into where to put the inverter under the apron, but they seem small enough that I should find room under there.

#55 11 years ago

I put my inverters under the apron.

#56 11 years ago

Here on my CV

IMG_0531.jpgIMG_0531.jpg IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0532.jpg // Error: Image 42624 not found // IMG_0538.jpgIMG_0538.jpg

#57 11 years ago

Nice! I may switch the wiring in the future as well, just didn't feel like extending the wire...used what they gave me

I am a fan of these...I hope they hold up!

#58 11 years ago

I love the way these look. I may look into printing a heap of these things!!

#59 11 years ago

I havent messed with EL paper too much yet, but I imagine there would be a cleaner way to wire these illuminated pads. I am actually surprised nobody in the US is selling these yet - untapped market

#60 11 years ago

SSSHHHHHH!!!

#61 11 years ago

Man that CV looks good. All the incentive i need!

#62 11 years ago

I'm the guilty party who posted the Dracula video and then didn't follow-up with the installation video. The main reason is I don't think the illuminated cards are a good choice for most people.

Each card draws almost 1/2 amp, almost 1 amp combined. If you wire both to the same 12 volt source or run two cards off of one DC to AC converter you are going to risk overloading the circuit. Even a single card could cause problems if you don't know what you're doing. (I've already helped two people through problems created by overloading a circuit with this product.)

It's not like your house where you can just plug in another lamp. Most pinball circuits are strained to begin with and adding 1/2 - 1 amp can easily put them over the top.

I also would not run two cards off of one converter until I see a spec sheet that shows the converter can handle it. Might be why it melted?

In the future I'll just add (non-intrusively) a couple of colored LED's under the apron. I always convert the GI to LED's so adding a couple more to the circuit won't be a problem. The only downside is a small bit of each corner of the card won't get illuminated. Other than that they should look almost as good.

As mentioned make sure the wires for the EL card are wrapped and can't short against the apron. Also don't bend the leads over 180 degrees to get them to fit in the apron card hole.

#63 11 years ago

Thanks for the post...good information.

Right now i have the two separate converters running (one for each card), but they are off the same 12vDC output under the flipper button - does that sound like an issue??

Seems like they are running fine - do issues usually appear right away? After constant use? Randomly?

Thanks!

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Each card draws almost 1/2 amp, almost 1 amp combined. If you wire both to the same 12 volt source or run two cards off of one DC to AC converter you are going to risk overloading the circuit. Even a single card could cause problems if you don't know what you're doing. (I've already helped two people through problems created by overloading a circuit with this product.)

So what happens if it overloads the circuit? Blow a fuse? Fry a board? Melt the wiring? Fry the inverters?

I would say I'm going to be a prime candidate for it since I also will be having a LED backbox light board using the same 12v source.

#65 11 years ago

Do you have LEDs throughout the machine? LEDs consume less power, so there may actually be less strain on the system if you are LED'd out I believe

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

So what happens if it overloads the circuit? Blow a fuse? Fry a board? Melt the wiring? Fry the inverters?

Drawing too much current would probably first cause problems like you see on GI: burnt connectors. Secondly it could blow a fuse or fry a component.

My concern on the inverters is if one is rated high enough for two EL panels. I don't know that they're not, but I wouldn't set it up that way until I'd seen a spec sheet on the inverter.

I previously communicated with pinballcenter.eu and did not get what I felt where knowledgable answers to my questions, which makes me cautious.

Quoted from jyeakley:

Right now i have the two separate converters running (one for each card), but they are off the same 12vDC output under the flipper button - does that sound like an issue??
    Seems like they are running fine - do issues usually appear right away? After constant use? Randomly?

Any of the above, although constant use would be the biggest problem. I've been running my Dracula under fairly heavy use for a couple of months with no problems. But every game is going to be different.

I would suggest two different 12 volt circuits to be safe. The only way to know for sure is to monitor the current draw on the 12 volt circuit during game play then add in the additional draw of the EL card(s) and you should still be well under the fused amperage for the circuit.

I really don't intend to scare anyone, but on the other hand unless you check the circuit as described above I would be conservative in the installation. Better safe than sorry.

Quoted from DugFreez:

I would say I'm going to be a prime candidate for it since I also will be having a LED backbox light board using the same 12v source.

EL panels draw a lot more current than LED's. Get a 12 volt power supply and plug it into the service outlet if you're going to run a lot of stuff.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Alright, I got these installed along with a NoFlix Plus playfield kit...I think they look sweet! The install itself was pretty straightforward - after reading the schematic, I found a 12vDC connection under the right flipper that I tied into. As far as the apron, the cards themselves seemed pretty well insulated, but I threw down a piece of electrical tape (on the apron) under each corner of the cards where contact could be made...seems to work great. I do hear a slight buzz, but no big deal - cant hear once game starts.
    This machine is coming along...waiting for my Pin-novations topper, SRP webbed rails, and FF speaker kit - then this baby will be complete
    I took a short video below, can't tell but glass is on...PDI glass is amazing! Let me know what you think:
    » YouTube video

Looks good!

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Which plug was this exactly? Because that 12v seems to measure at 13.8v and is what actually caused my tron to catch fire and melt.

#69 11 years ago

There is an open 3 wire plastic connector in the wire bundle under the right flipper (grey/red, red, black) that I tied into. When I measured, it seemed to read pretty close to 12v...I will have to go check again now to make sure

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Alright, I got these installed along with a NoFlix Plus playfield kit...I think they look sweet!

You're right, they look great and that glass is completely undetectable in the video. That is a beautiful SM.

#71 11 years ago

Thanks Honch.

Checked the connection again...seems to be right around 12v.

#72 11 years ago

Can't tell for SM but I used the 12V from coin door interface. Also two converters bind together to the interface. I placed them under the apron with a long cable. But I put a sticker on the Lockbar mechanism to remind me while lifting the playfield

#73 11 years ago

Hey Terryb do you wanna give your installation instructions for Drac for people to use at their own risk? I just got some of these cards for my Bsd and would love a quick write up on installation.

#74 11 years ago

I got a small get together tomorrow and was hoping to install these tonight

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

There is an open 3 wire plastic connector in the wire bundle under the right flipper (grey/red, red, black) that I tied into. When I measured, it seemed to read pretty close to 12v...I will have to go check again now to make sure

Yep. That's the one I used. It's 13.7v. My tron caught fire after a couple weeks using that.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yep. That's the one I used. It's 13.7v. My tron caught fire after a couple weeks using that.

I'd like a clarification on what you mean by your Tron "caught fire". Did anything on the actual machine actually catch on fire? Was there a flame? Or did the inverter just melt? Where was the inverter? After it was all done...what was the damage to the machine?

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I'd like a clarification on what you mean by your Tron "caught fire". Did anything on the actual machine actually catch on fire? Was there a flame? Or did the inverter just melt? Where was the inverter? After it was all done...what was the damage to the machine?

The whole room was smokey and smelled like something was on fire. The 12v line fuses popped. The inverter was so melted it was a solid piece of rounded plastic.

#78 11 years ago

Good Lord

#79 11 years ago

Well, mine certainly didn't catch fire, but the damn cards just stopped working suddenly. I tested the voltage on the connection on the machine and it was still delivering power. First the left one went, then then right shortly after... They were working great for a while, then they just blew. I am going to go another route on this anyways, felt like these were a bit risky given the reviews on this thread. I am going to make some pads out of LED ribbon (still 9-14vDC), run the wire down the playfield and over to the same connection (CT uses this same connection for their LED ribbon back boxes), only with an actual Molex connector. Anyone tried this yet? I will keep the group posted of the results.

#80 11 years ago

Look at the perimeter of the backside of those LED cards and see if there is any small black dot. If so, the card grounded out. Only other thing I can think is that the inverter shorted.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Well, mine certainly didn't catch fire, but the damn cards just stopped working suddenly. I tested the voltage on the connection on the machine and it was still delivering power. First the left one went, then then right shortly after... They were working great for a while, then they just blew. I am going to go another route on this anyways, felt like these were a bit risky given the reviews on this thread. I am going to make some pads out of LED ribbon (still 9-14vDC), run the wire down the playfield and over to the same connection (CT uses this same connection for their LED ribbon back boxes), only with an actual Molex connector. Anyone tried this yet? I will keep the group posted of the results.

I actually have a 16' roll of cool white LED lights on the way to me. I really don't think it will work well for the cards. If you put the strips under those transparent cards I'm almost sure they will just leave lit dots under the cards instead of lighting them evenly.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The whole room was smokey and smelled like something was on fire. The 12v line fuses popped. The inverter was so melted it was a solid piece of rounded plastic.

Where did you have the inverter? Under the apron or somewhere else?

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

Look at the perimeter of the backside of those LED cards and see if there is any small black dot. If so, the card grounded out. Only other thing I can think is that the inverter shorted.

Thanks! I will check when i get home later.

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I actually have a 16' roll of cool white LED lights on the way to me. I really don't think it will work well for the cards. If you put the strips under those transparent cards I'm almost sure they will just leave lit dots under the cards instead of lighting them evenly.

Yeah - you may be right...Maybe i will look into getting to EL paper myself, just feel like their (Pinball Center) setup is very sensitive and could be tailored a bit better to prevent these problems.

#85 11 years ago

I installed these in my MB months ago... I wired them to the GI and thought they basically sucked because they were dim. I guess I need to look for a 12v to tap into...

#86 11 years ago

Great site..thanks for sharing. I really like the custom cards...dont know about the GI under them?? I did order some cards and some green 1" flipper rubber for WWF upper playfield.

#87 11 years ago

If there's a potential issue with grounds then maybe adding a fuse to the things would help.

Mike

www.HabosArcade.com

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

If there's a potential issue with grounds then maybe adding a fuse to the things would help.

Yeah, I am thinking this whole implementation could be streamlined a bit.

#89 11 years ago

LOL - I just noticed they used my AFM cards I made a few years ago

Mike
    www.HabosArcade.com

#90 11 years ago

Just running things in my head.

Thier specs 6v-12v at 1W for each inverter. Good practice to have the fuse about 50% higher than the expected amount of amps. 50% or 2X (2W / 12V = 166mA) ~ 8.33 amp fuse.

Mike
    www.HabosArcade.com

#91 11 years ago

Well it sounds like the ones that are failing are having too much voltage pushed through them. Maybe need to run them on an 11 or 12 volt line. I was thinking of adding a separate power supply. Anyone have any idea on a good power supply that would work with these?

#92 11 years ago

Talking to Marco, Pinball Center owner now (via Email) and trying to determine where I am going wrong. He said he has had one on his AFM for a year with no issues.

#93 11 years ago

So it sounds like the fact that I have a shaker motor could have caused the cards to shake and ground out...Marco is recommending Tesa tape on the back of the cards.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Do you have a metal or plastic apron on your Tron ? I have the plastic apron on my Tron and would think that my cards might be at least safe from shorting out. I just hope my Tron can keep up with all the mods I have installed, so far so good.

#95 11 years ago

So I found a 12 volt source in the coin door that is unused and I got a reading on the multimeter of 11.84 volts. I'm not good at electrical stuff so this is kind of a silly question but I want to make sure I hook everything up correctly. The wires that I tested are an orange on one side and two black wires spliced together on the other side with what looks like one of the plastic connectors on the end of them that looks like the type you would find as an extra power source inside a pc. Common sense tells me the orange is positive and the two black are negative. What setting on the multimeter can I use to make sure that's correct? I'm sure this is a very basic question but I want to be sure.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from wescor97:

I installed these in my MB months ago... I wired them to the GI and thought they basically sucked because they were dim. I guess I need to look for a 12v to tap into...

On Williams you can pull pure 12v from the ball trough optos.

Quoted from Mauikiter:Do you have a metal or plastic apron on your Tron ? I have the plastic apron on my Tron and would think that my cards might be at least safe from shorting out. I just hope my Tron can keep up with all the mods I have installed, so far so good.

the problem had nothing todo with the apron. I had lined the card bottoms in electric tape.

Quoted from hAbO:

Just running things in my head.
    Thier specs 6v-12v at 1W for each inverter. Good practice to have the fuse about 50% higher than the expected amount of amps. 50% or 2X (2W / 12V = 166mA) ~ 8.33 amp fuse.
    Mike
    http://www.HabosArcade.com

how do you get an 8.3 amp fuse for a 166 mA draw?

Quoted from jyeakley:

Talking to Marco, Pinball Center owner now (via Email) and trying to determine where I am going wrong. He said he has had one on his AFM for a year with no issues.

I left the Williams cards in. Again, the stern location you described runs 13.7 volts. I told you it was too much before you installed. You ignored....You can find 8.9 volts if you measure two of those three wires in the harness. It's safer but a bit dimmer.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

On Williams you can pull pure 12v from the ball trough optos.

the problem had nothing todo with the apron. I had lined the card bottoms in electric tape.

how do you get an 8.3 amp fuse for a 166 mA draw?

I left the Williams cards in. Again, the stern location you described runs 13.7 volts. I told you it was too much before you installed. You ignored....You can find 8.9 volts if you measure two of those three wires in the harness. It's safer but a bit dimmer.

Hey Markmon what would you suggest on Bsd? The trough doesn't have optos on it just regular switches. Although I could use one of the optos on like the ramp or something?

#98 11 years ago

Yes Markmon...I was wrong. Lesson learned

#99 11 years ago

Well apparently the two wires I found will not work. Tried to hook them off of it and it didn't light. Back to the drawing board

#100 11 years ago

If anyone has some advice on what to hook these up through on bsd I'd love to hear it

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/illuminated-pinball-cards-from-pinball-center-germany-anyone-installed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.