(Topic ID: 24108)

Illuminated Pinball Cards from Pinball Center (Germany) - Anyone Installed?

By jyeakley

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jasonbar
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181024_230913 (resized).jpg
    20181024_230909 (resized).jpg
    20181024_230853 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    D30_9277_78_79_80_81_fused.jpg
    IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Ordered these a couple weeks ago and expecting them any day now...has anyone installed these? I am looking to install these on my SM and wondering where the best place is to tie into a 12v DC connection since these will route to the apron. I see a 12v DC connection on the inner right side of the cabinet (red/grey wire), but would prefer to find something on the PF...any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Never seem them before, I hope you post a few pics when you're done.

#3 11 years ago

They look pretty cool and thoguht about picking one up. Never seen one in person though.

Mike
    www.Habosarcade.com

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Never seem them before, I hope you post a few pics when you're done.

Will do.

#5 11 years ago

I have some coming for my TRON. I was wondering the same thing

#6 11 years ago

Yeah - I havent seen much about these on the forums, so I imagine they aren't that popular since they are only sold (as far as I know) by Pinball Center in Germany.

#7 11 years ago

I have them on my TZ and STTNG. They look pretty damn awesome. I had posted pictures of it on another forum so I'll see if I can find them and post them here.

#8 11 years ago

I've since installed the other card, but this will give you an idea of how it looks. In that picture, I had it hooked straight to the 12v from the board next to the coindoor so it's pretty bright. However, when I installed the other card, it dropped the brightness down on both cards so it's not overpowering.

IMG_0783.JPGIMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPGIMG_0784.JPG

#9 11 years ago

That is pretty cool looking.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

I've since installed the other card, but this will give you an idea of how it looks. In that picture, I had it hooked straight to the 12v from the board next to the coindoor so it's pretty bright. However, when I installed the other card, it dropped the brightness down on both cards so it's not overpowering.

Pretty sweet - so when you do work on the PF, I assume you have to disconnect them from the inverter each time, correct?

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Pretty sweet - so when you do work on the PF, I assume you have to disconnect them from the inverter each time, correct?

If you raise the PF that is.

#12 11 years ago

They look great. I have them in my SM and BDK.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Asael:

They look great. I have them in my SM and BDK.

Do you also have these hooked into the board next to the coin door?

#14 11 years ago

Link to buy them?!

#16 11 years ago

I found this vid the other day.
    Looks like a cool mod to use w/ the PIG.

#17 11 years ago

I have a couple for my Spider-Man, but haven't installed them yet. I had one of my friends make a long wire that will run from the 12v of the front right harness down through the bottom of the cabinet to the back. Then I plan on running it back up the playfield to under the apron. I plan on mounting the inverter under the apron. I also bought an el connection splitter so I will be running both cards with 1 inverter. I tried each card with it's own inverter and then using the splitter with just 1 inverter and I didn't see a difference in brightness at all.

I think the real tricky part (which should be easy) is going to get the actual wire that come out of the lit panel into the corner card slot in the apron. I don't understand why they didn't design these lit panels for the connection to be right on the corner instead of over to the left where you have to bend the wire to get it to tuck in there.

#18 11 years ago

How do these work? You have to buy the 12 euro light and the 4 euro transparent card to get a whole card?

#20 11 years ago

There is an EL pad that actually lights up (12 Euros) and then there are transparent cards that allow the light to shine through (4 Euros/per). So for a full set, you are looking at 32 Euros per game.

#21 11 years ago

Is it best to go white or try and color match?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

I found this vid the other day.
    Looks like a cool mod to use w/ the PIG.

Yeah - saw this. They said they were going to post a follow up with more detail, but doesn't look like they have yet...the red looks sweet with Dracula. I just went with white for my SM (figured it was the safest bet)

#23 11 years ago

Wow these are cool.... Green for CV or go white with the cards (green cards)??

#24 11 years ago

Could these be used for like say System 11 games, or older pins? Or is this for the newer 1992 to present? Thanks! Also all of you who say you have them in you pins, should post up pic's if you can!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Could these be used for like say System 11 games, or older pins? Or is this for the newer 1992 to present? Thanks! Also all of you who say you have them in you pins, should post up pic's if you can!

It would only depend on the card holder size and if you can find 12v or not. Worst case scenario as far as the power goes, you could always buy a wall plug to 12v converter off of ebay for cheap.

As far as using them on System 11 games...I'm sure they would work since they do have some cards for some System 11 games. I've also heard people mention that you can print your own cards on some kind of transparent paper.

#26 11 years ago

Doh!

Never realized they worked like this........

They actually look really great unlit. I did wonder when I bought them why they did not seem to shine or anything........

#27 11 years ago

A couple things. First, I went crazy and ordered about 20 sets of these. They do look good there is a slight high pitched whine from them. Sort of like your ears are ringing. After installing a few machines I noticed the whine was pretty loud. Can't hear it once games start. But definitely can when they aren't.

A few days ago the room smelled like burning wire. Couldn't track it down. I have a decent amount of pins. Had my wife come in and together we agreed it stank but couldn't find the problem. Finally I noticed my tron topper was not lit and the Dmd said something about wrong game region, call stern. The 12v fuses both had blown. I lifted the PF and the inverter that runs the cards had burnt up. Really bad, it was a hunk of plastic. I since them unhooked the cards on most my machines due to them being a fire hazard.

#28 11 years ago

I ran in to that same problem of burning a card up. You've got to really watch how you set these cards in. Some cards I get are insulated well while others have no backing at all. If that wire touches the apron, it can cause some serious issues until it blows that fuse.

As for colors, I stick to white as those seem to give the best resolution to the cards.

And when lifting the pf, yeah, you do need to disconnect. But since I use a splitter, it's just a matter of unclipping from the two splitter heads so only a short wire dangles from each card when the pf is raised.

#29 11 years ago

I misread that last post. I have melted one inverter from them but I was under the impression it was because I was running EL wire along with the cards. It could have just been faulty though. I also do hear that high pitch too, but it definitely drowns out when the glass is on and the game is playing.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

A couple things. First, I went crazy and ordered about 20 sets of these. They do look good there is a slight high pitched whine from them. Sort of like your ears are ringing. After installing a few machines I noticed the whine was pretty loud. Can't hear it once games start. But definitely can when they aren't.
    A few days ago the room smelled like burning wire. Couldn't track it down. I have a decent amount of pins. Had my wife come in and together we agreed it stank but couldn't find the problem. Finally I noticed my tron topper was not lit and the Dmd said something about wrong game region, call stern. The 12v fuses both had blown. I lifted the PF and the inverter that runs the cards had burnt up. Really bad, it was a hunk of plastic. I since them unhooked the cards on most my machines due to them being a fire hazard.

Well I was planning on getting some but not liking this info at all.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

I misread that last post. I have melted one inverter from them but I was under the impression it was because I was running EL wire along with the cards. It could have just been faulty though. I also do hear that high pitch too, but it definitely drowns out when the glass is on and the game is playing.

I planned on running 25 sets of these. The squeal would have been pretty bad just walking in the room.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Ordered these a couple weeks ago and expecting them any day now...has anyone installed these? I am looking to install these on my SM and wondering where the best place is to tie into a 12v DC connection since these will route to the apron. I see a 12v DC connection on the inner right side of the cabinet (red/grey wire), but would prefer to find something on the PF...any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Also. Test the 12v connector. If it actually tests closer to 13.7v do not use that source.

#33 11 years ago

I think this is going to be enough info to turn me away from these. Thanks for all the details everyone.

#34 11 years ago

Where did they get all their instruction and pricing card graphics? I recognize more than a few from Pinball Rebel, including some I did and uploaded to Ken's site.

#35 11 years ago

Good info and looking out...I will try installing these on one machine first (carefully) and let the group know how it goes.

#36 11 years ago

i have them in LOTR few months ago.

on 12 volts you can hear a vibration coming for the card, like a buzzing sound.
    also doesn't fit perfectly in the corner but still it's a cool idea.

i'm trying to come up with another way of doing this, i like it, i think it's cool but even with the score card on top of it you still can see the illuminated card.

pinball center does have a lot of cool stuff, i'm surprised nobody sells them here!

#37 11 years ago

Any pics?

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

Where did they get all their instruction and pricing card graphics? I recognize more than a few from Pinball Rebel, including some I did and uploaded to Ken's site.

I think they just download and print them from pinball rebel. They're not really making profit on the prints at the prices they're selling them. You can also print your own using backlit film paper.
    http://www.amazon.com/Inkpress-IBF851150-Specialty-Backlight-8-5in/dp/B0021VDMQK/ref=sr_1_3

If you go this route, you can just print your own and use the EL paper cards without buying their prints. I did this for xmen and AC/DC before I unhooked the cards.

#39 11 years ago

Yep - like you said, they are not making much - they are cheap. Also, their target decals are significantly cheaper than PDI or even PL.

#40 11 years ago

Careful of their target decals. I got a set for my STTNG and was sent a sticker sheet. So for decals I still stay with PDI as their product and care is much better.

#41 11 years ago

Damn...well they will be here soon for SM, guess I will find out soon enough

#42 11 years ago

Here is my Tron with the illuminated cards. I have one transformer for each side and mine are not too noisy. I ran the wires down the main wire harness so there is no need to unplug anything when lifting the playfield. I hope with the plastic apron I should not have to worry about anything shorting out. I do like the way they look especially in my dimly lit gameroom.

D30_9277_78_79_80_81_fused.jpgD30_9277_78_79_80_81_fused.jpg

#43 11 years ago

Looks awesome - I am now excited again...thanks!

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mauikiter:

Here is my Tron with the illuminated cards. I have one transformer for each side and mine are not too noisy. I ran the wires down the main wire harness so there is no need to unplug anything when lifting the playfield. I hope with the plastic apron I should not have to worry about anything shorting out. I do like the way they look especially in my dimly lit gameroom.

Looks great. Is that a blue EL card?

#45 11 years ago

While you're there pick up some No Flix Plus LEDs!

They are the bees knees

#46 11 years ago

They are the white ones.

#47 11 years ago

Those cards seem really fitting for Tron. Looks awesome!

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

While you're there pick up some No Flix Plus LEDs!

They are the bees knees

Of course! The NoFlix Plus LEDs are the best IMO. I received my package yesterday evening and I can confirm that the target decals are not near the quality of PDI or PL...they should stick to lighting

#49 11 years ago

Congrats on finally receiving your package, they're hit and miss with shipping speed. As for the LED cards, just be careful not to let any part of exposed wiring touch that apron!

#50 11 years ago

will do - thanks!

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/illuminated-pinball-cards-from-pinball-center-germany-anyone-installed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.