IMG_20140625_172759_981.jpg
IMG_20140625_172422_832.jpg
image-826.jpg
image-438.jpg
IMG_20140603_210123_868.jpg
IMG_20140603_074941_599.jpg
IMG_20140602_201111_950.jpg
IMG_20140602_201257_706.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ghoen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Tonight I added my Kill Gen. Yagov Illuminated plexi. As most F14 Yagov decal mine was faded and peeling. It needed a change! I cut a piece of 1/8" plexi glass using a friends home made CNC mill using a tapered bit to give the edges a place to glow.

I cut a mirror image of the Yagov decal on Vinyl and sand blasted the back of the plexi glass. Made sure to polish all the small scratches out of the plexi.

I pulled the deverter plastic trough off and glued a #47 base and wired it into the GI. It is illuminated by a flexible LED. Not sure what color I want yet. There is a lot of red and blue already and the white is too bright. I think green will draw the eye to it but not be to much a distraction.IMG_20140602_201257_706.jpgIMG_20140602_201257_706.jpgIMG_20140602_201111_950.jpgIMG_20140602_201111_950.jpg

#5 9 years ago

I have another socket that is tied to the Kill light in the center but it flickers extremely bad so there isn't a light in it at the time. May have to put the orange or yellow in to see how it looks.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I think the green is too much though. Have you tried orange?

My phone also takes horrible pictures, the green isn't as hazy in real life. There is a bright spot right next to the LED then it quickly dissipates to just the sandblasted areas showing green.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Speaking of pics, any chance we could get a zoomed out shot?

IMG_20140603_074941_599.jpgIMG_20140603_074941_599.jpg
This is with a yellow LED, it has about the right brightness.

Quoted from mrbillishere:

Great mod, very creative. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to make plexi catch light like that. A+
And to think, i just sold my F-14 after eight years at PATZ last month.

Neither did I until I gave it a go. Turned out better than I expected.

#18 9 years ago

I may have an Idea to rid the bright spot as well as tone down the overall brightness. I will report back when I have time to work on it. Guess It's time to cut a hand full of Reverse Yagov decals.

#23 9 years ago

Well my idea didnt work with 1/8" plexi. I heated up a piece and bent it to see if the light would follow the bend. This attempt did not work. I did stick some electrical tape over the source LED to block the light coming directly out of the led and its does reduce the glare from the SMD.

I was playing around to see how small my vinyl cutter will go....IMG_20140603_210123_868.jpgIMG_20140603_210123_868.jpg May have some ideas to spice up the locks and landings area. I need to make a F-14 with the wings out for landing now....

#26 9 years ago

The friend with the CNC is out in the back woods of Colorado right now. Let me talk to him when he gets back and I will figure out what is a good price (It will be less than $10 + Shipping). Send me a PM if you are interested in one. I would only be selling the sandblasted plexi.

1 week later
#29 9 years ago

I have 1 more left from the first batch. PM me if you would like one! Would be willing to make some more if anyone else is interested.

1 week later
#32 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Got the package Ghoen...thanks, you really went all out with the shipping bud, makes me feel bad. Nice work, can't wait to install it.

Didn't want them to get scratched, Had 2 go to Canada, 1 to the UK, and Another to Germany so I figured pack them all up good! I'll post a few pictures on how I mounted my LED's for reference later tonight. Mine now has 2 LED's a Red one that is connected to the GI and a green one that is connected to the KILL light in the center. The green overpowers the red and makes for an awesome effect.

Quoted from mbott1701:

Got mine this weekend. Fast shipping and cool item. Thanks Ghoen!

You're Welcome!

Post some pictures when you get it installed!

Also I will have a Second batch in the near future for anyone else interested.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Quick question Ghoen, how did you do the install? ..I haven't started yet but I was hoping you can give me an idea for it.

I need to get some pictures of how mine is attached.

I had to trim a little of the plastic ramp to make sure the the Flexi LED would miss the cabinet as the playfield was raised and lowered. I didnt want mine to be permanent so I used hot glue to attach both the plexi and the lamp sockets. I put 2 small dabs of glue on the ledge of the ramp and glued the bottom of the plexi first. I then added two more small dabs of glue to the top of the plexi, maybe 1/4" long.

I have 2 LED's lighting mine, both from the left side of the plexi. The top light is mounted to the top portion of the ramp so the flexi LED comes straight out of the socket and needs very little adjusting. The bottom light is mounted to the plastic behind the plexi Yagov sign so that the LED comes out of the socket and then is bent 90deg so the LED would shine back towards the socket.

The top LED is connected to GI and I am using a red LED. The bottom one is connected to the Kill light in the Center and makes the Plexi flash green when the KILL light is on. You could also connect the bottom light to the EX. BALL light in front of the Yagov Kicker.

#38 9 years ago

Hopefully they are not to blurry.IMG_20140625_172422_832.jpgIMG_20140625_172422_832.jpg
I used electrical tape to hide the LED
IMG_20140625_172759_981.jpgIMG_20140625_172759_981.jpg
Here is the orientation of the lamp socket

#42 9 years ago

Good to see the international packages made it! Post some pictures when you get them installed. Excited to see Fifty's edge lighting.

6 months later
#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Ghoen, you should post this mod on the F14 owner's club - you'd get a lot of requests - a great game to mod......

I actually did make a post in the owners club. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/7#post-1689975

I actually started thinking about this mod the other day and was thinking about maybe layering some plexi and make it some what animated. I would have to see which lights would tie to different animations, such as maybe an explosion in the background, and crosshairs in the front with the kill gen yagov in the middle?

I was wondering if anyone actually implemented there plexi or not. Lets see some pictures!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ghoen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/illuminated-kill-gen-yagov?tu=Ghoen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.