Illuminated flipper buttons

By Cruzin1a

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just looking for some opinions. The buttons on my Surf Champ are nicked and ugly. It's a pretty cheap fix. However I have noticed that there are parts that would allow me to illuminate them. Two questions... How hard would that be and is that something you folks think would be good or bad to do?

#3 10 years ago

Yep, if you do decide to do it don't buy a kit, follow the advice in Vids thread to do it for only a few by bucks. Could look nice on a surf champ if you stuck with the color scheme and didn't go red or something.

#4 10 years ago

I have done it on late 70's Gotts-including the start button since its the same translucent flipper button. Looks pretty cool with all three lit up. I used conventional bulb sockets and used incandescent bulbs due to the lack of 'retro' LEDs at the time, but would try them out. I have another one in the winter cue, will likely go there again. I often do some minor reverse-able 'mod' like this on most games I restore.

#5 10 years ago

That is a great idea of just using the flex LED. Now I am going to have to updated all my System 11 games.

#6 10 years ago

What color buttons do you guys think would look cool?

#7 10 years ago

like a light blue or turquoise, yellow, or clear.

#8 10 years ago

I have used vid's method several times. I've also used the cointaker kit. I hate to say it, but vid's method is so much better than the cointaker kits, all around.

I did find I wasn't a fan of light leak around the sides of the apron, so I took care of it with this:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lighted-flipper-button-shield

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I have used vid's method several times. I've also used the cointaker kit. I hate to say it, but vid's method is so much better than the cointaker kits, all around.

I did find I wasn't a fan of light leak around the sides of the apron, so I took care of it with this:

Cool stuff, I missed that original thread of yours.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Cruzin1a:

What color buttons do you guys think would look cool?

Use clear buttons and the LED color you can always change with Vid's method.

#11 10 years ago

All I could find was green and red translucent.

#13 10 years ago

I got a free kit from Cointaker on the promo. I put it on my Tron, and it looks pretty cool. I hate the feel though. They feel very different than any other game I have. Are the pinball Life buttons any different?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I got a free kit from Cointaker on the promo. I put it on my Tron, and it looks pretty cool. I hate the feel though. They feel very different than any other game I have. Are the pinball Life buttons any different?

I have clear buttons from pinball life on F-14, and regular old red ones on the Taxi next to it, I have never noticed a difference when I go between the two.

#15 10 years ago

I bought the cointakers premade ones, I ended up switching them all out to vids method. It was soooo much better.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

I bought the cointakers premade ones, I ended up switching them all out to vids method. It was soooo much better.

Did you just swap out the buttons or change out the whole thing?

1 week later
#17 10 years ago

My machine is a Gottlieb and these didn't seem compatible. So I ordered new Gottlieb replacements from Steve Young in the color red with the clear backing plates. Now I'll start looking into the illumination with the bayonet sockets and flex head LED's. I do have illuminated coin slots so I'm going to attempt to tie into the GI there. Thanks for all the tips guys.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

So, I think I ran into the same thing with my kit from cointaker. I did a ton of googling and came across a thread about the same thing. Take a look at the buttons you got from cointaker, I think the little o-ring is missing from them. Look at your old buttons, they should have an o-ring on the plunger part that you can move over to the new cointaker buttons.

That fixed it for me.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/illuminated-flipper-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.