Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-02-16_at_2.14.33_PM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 11 years ago

Compare a Tron Pro to a LOTR standard; you're getting more for your money now. The Pros are not "stripped down" - the LE's are "beefed up". I don't test-drive Ferraris because I don't want to be unhappy with my Toyota. Likewise I don't look at LE pins, so I don't know or care what I'm missing. Call it sour grapes, whatever.

Anyway, until Stern offers an LE with incandescent bulbs, I'm sticking with the Pros.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

What about the multi color LEDs in AC/DC?

Actually, I haven't seen any of the pins that were designed for LEDs from the ground up. I need to check one out; that could change my mind.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Are you kidding me?

I have a LOTR, so I'm not unhappy at all with it. But consider some of the improvements Stern has made since 2003:
    - SAM audio >> Whitestar
    - better cabinet graphics (IMHO)
    - SW can be upgraded via USB

If you prefer, compare Tron Pro to a game like HRC. Better?

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

If you want to say Tron Pro is comparable to LOTR then I can see some arguments for that, but saying you get more for Tron pro is silly.

No, ignoring the improvements Stern has made over the last 10 years is silly.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Not as a 3k price adjustment to compensate for an empty playfield.

Both parts of this are completely untrue. I hear you guys screaming "BARREN" all the time, but IM is doing really well right now. Sometimes less is more.

#57 11 years ago

Wow, for some of you guys the glass is always half-empty. I feel bad for you, I really do.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I never said it wasn't fun. it's just cheap. Cheap feeling and cheap looking. I try to convince myself to buy a NIB stern and i just can't justify it.
    Avengers LE feels nice. As does the ACDC LE I played. But pro. overall. just doesn't FEEL high quality.

I keep hearing this phrase "cheap feeling" (or "feels cheap") but I have no idea what that means. Someone will have to explain it to me. My 3 Stern pins feel the same to me as my 3 Williams DMDs (all from 1995), with the exception of the flippers. Put Williams flipper coils in a Stern, and I doubt that anyone could tell them apart blindfolded.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Appreciate the thought but couldn't agree less. There is a substantial difference in feel throughout the games. That's taking into mind that my LOTR and past TSPP were second runs from 2003, which still were far off from B/W. My IronMan is like balsa wood compared to an oak. Doesn't mean it isn's a great game, for it is. For example, I took the ramps off to clean them and they felt like banana peels. Don't even get me started on playfield pegs or the need to redrill holes in the playfiled so posts by the bumpers would be in their proper place averting ball hangups or allowing the designed rubber ring to fit properly. The legs lack rigidity. They have just enough to hold the game up. Everything on the new sterns in terms of quality is "just enough that is needed to get by" and no more. That is where the perceived lack of quality lies and the flimsier feel is. What is there, like a 50 lb difference in game weights? 250 vs 300? That's almost 20% in component weight less, but it still feels the same? It doesn't to me. It is what it is. I am not a Stern basher, but nor do I feel the need to deny the reality that the games are of lesser quality. It is not my intention to insult anyone's taste or collection, so please do not overreact on those terms.
    Dan

Thanks for this explanation, Dan. Yes, I had two of those same experiences with my IM: a very flimsy right ramp, and having to move the posts by the bumpers to prevent ball hangs. Oddly, the replacement right ramp I ordered was really solid.

I haven't had any issues with the legs, and if it the game is lighter I hadn't noticed. Heavier is better with amplifiers, but is it for pins? But yes, I agree that the ramps are thinner. I'll check it out with my micrometer tomorrow. It would be interesting to compare B/W to Stern and Pinball Inc ramps (which of course are just about bombproof).

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

we must all be making it up then.

No, I'm not discounting what you're feeling, just trying to understand what you meant by "feel". It's the engineer in me; I like concrete examples. My old Grand Am felt cheap to me because plastic parts fell off of it constantly, and an armrest came off in my friend's hand. Examples like that.

#155 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

But on a positive note look @ IM. It was a stripped down $3800 game.

Not picking on you , but I still don't get why people say this. IM has 2 ramps, 3 spinners, 2 magnets, 1 kicker, motorized monger bash toy, 3 pops and a ton of stationary targets. Maybe the reason IM is such a great game is that they stopped there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ill-never-go-pro?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.