Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-02-16_at_2.14.33_PM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anim8ormatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Compare a Tron Pro to a LOTR standard; you're getting more for your money now. The Pros are not "stripped down" - the LE's are "beefed up". I don't test-drive Ferraris because I don't want to be unhappy with my Toyota. Likewise I don't look at LE pins, so I don't know or care what I'm missing. Call it sour grapes, whatever.
    Anyway, until Stern offers an LE with incandescent bulbs, I'm sticking with the Pros.

absolutely false! I love tron, but I just played one Wednesday that was sitting next to a LOTR. Tron is BARREN by comparison. this was a second run pro. BARREN!

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

No, ignoring the improvements Stern has made over the last 10 years is silly.

those video and sound improvements should come just as advancements in computer and programming technology. Not as a 3k price adjustment to compensate for an empty playfield.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Both parts of this are completely untrue. I hear you guys screaming "BARREN" all the time, but IM is doing really well right now. Sometimes less is more.

it's not just the lack of targets and design elements populating the playfield. TRON is a great game to play. I never said it wasn't fun.

it's just cheap. Cheap feeling and cheap looking. I try to convince myself to buy a NIB stern and i just can't justify it.

Avengers LE feels nice. As does the ACDC LE I played. But pro. overall. just doesn't FEEL high quality.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The next time you look at those things, ask yourself how much each of them affects gameplay.

this isn't about gameplay. It's about what we are spending $7500 for.

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I keep hearing this phrase "cheap feeling" (or "feels cheap") but I have no idea what that means. Someone will have to explain it to me. My 3 Stern pins feel the same to me as my 3 Williams DMDs (all from 1995), with the exception of the flippers. Put Williams flipper coils in a Stern, and I doubt that anyone could tell them apart blindfolded.

we must all be making it up then.

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

No, I'm not discounting what you're feeling, just trying to understand what you meant by "feel". It's the engineer in me; I like concrete examples. My old Grand Am felt cheap to me because plastic parts fell off of it constantly, and an armrest came off in my friend's hand. Examples like that.

They feel "echo-ey" Empty. like they are made of thinner wood. The lack of things like star posts and multi tiered plastic stacks. No wire forms. No Subways. fewer inserts. the bulb mounts are individually wired plastic holders and usually not circuit boards with connectors. LOTS of "toys' are just printed plastic or off the shelf action figures. Magneto, Wolverine, the hulk. They all just look like kids toys. not pinball toys.

Take, for instance, the bigfoot in whitewater. He was custom made for that game. His sculpt is just for white water. I think that makes it unique. ACDC has the bell, and that's good. But that toy in its full function is only on the LE. not the pro. The examples go on and on. But I can't get past it when shopping pins side by side. The new sterns LOOK ok at first clance. but the FEEL isn't there for me. my order in preference of feel is williams/bally, data east/early sega, then Late Sega/Stern. It is what it is and it has little to do with game play. Just the feeling of how the game sounds, works and looks, and how it affects me personally to drop multi thousands of dollars on a big toy. I will gladly buy the shadow and demolition man for the price of on avengers LE.

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It's been quoted and addressed multiple times already, but I still can't believe you actually said that. If you didn't intend for that to be totally condescending, you should clarify. If you did, we'll, I guess you're just a bit of a dick.

amen to this. I have a college degree, multiple advanced certifications, and an upper level director position. I make PLENTY of money. I just don't want to buy newer sterns until they build a quality product.

#122 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

THere were times that i couldnt even consider a NIB exspecially an LE, although at that time there were no LE models.

Please tell me 'exspecially' is a joke

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anim8ormatt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ill-never-go-pro?tu=anim8ormatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.