IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240316_125513 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poleposition.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7965 3 years ago

Ricochet - I'm in for one too. As a new owner of IJ, this was top of my list to fix, so your timing is perfect!
Thanks for making these.

2 months later
#8439 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks for the recommendation, and for quick description.
The next screen printed batch is scheduled for August.[quoted image][quoted image]

Davi count me in for one too please!

1 month later
#8961 2 years ago

Need some help with my jackpot board purchased from Marco. No instructions, but from what I've found thru the forum search it plugs into J133 and 137.
Lights on the jackpot board do not work, the rest of the lights on the game are working fine. I've attached some photos to see if anybody notices something out of place or wrong. I checked continuity between the jackpot board solder points and corresponding 2 molex plugs.

Just trying to rule out anything obvious before I reach out to Marco.

Thank you!

jp1 (resized).jpgjp1 (resized).jpgjp2 (resized).jpgjp2 (resized).jpgjp3 (resized).jpgjp3 (resized).jpgjp4 (resized).jpgjp4 (resized).jpg
#8972 2 years ago

Davi and pinballinreno - Thank you for taking the time to check and reply. If I do a battery test, where would I apply voltage, and would a 9v battery work?

#8980 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

On your board, the LED orientation is wrong.
Normally it doesn't matter in case of standard 2 leg LED, however this LED has 4 legs, 2 for anode, 2 for cathode. In this circuit, the track is a short between anode and cathode. [quoted image][quoted image]

Great catch! Thank you! I think I can fix this, although the desolder/solder is on the topside of the board, so it will be a challenge. Do I rotate the LEDs 180 degrees then?

#8982 2 years ago

Need to rotate them 90 degrees. Thanks everyone for the help!

#8983 2 years ago

Reporting back that I got the board fixed! Rotating the LEDs was the issue, they were incorrectly assembled. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Love the support this site provides. Now to send Marco a heads up email to save other potential future headaches.

2 months later
#9207 2 years ago

Does anyone have a good solution or mod to protect the diode that's attached to the mini pf switch just above the mode start hole? Mine got smashed pretty good recently, surprised it didn't short, but it was close. Thanks!

#9211 2 years ago

Pin_Fandango and PBFan - Thank you!

1 year later
#10199 1 year ago

I've got a mushy right flipper that I was trying to diagnose, and need some help.

Flippers were rebuilt by previous owner and all mechanical parts look new. Left flipper button opto switch was a newer one, and the right side looked original, so I replaced the right side with a new opto. Some improvement, but wanted to try to see if I could make it better, so I swapped out the original fliptronics board with a new Rottendog. After powering it on the right flipper holds in the up position. Start a game, no response when the right flipper button is pressed. In test menu, the right flipper flips, but struggles to barely move up in the hold test. Do I have a bad/weak coil?

#10201 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Mine was like that too when I restored it after replacing everything. Had to replace the flipper board in the backbox top left and it fixed my issue. Also make sure screws around all the backbox boards are tight to metal ground.

I reseated all related connectors, and checked that all backbox board mounting screws were tight. No change.
Wondering if the rottendog fliptronics board is bad.

#10203 1 year ago

Ok, a couple more things I've tried.

-I swapped the two opto switches, and no change.

-I put the original fliptronics board back in, no change, still a mushy flipper. Game starts and plays fine as compared to the Rottendog, where the right flipper was flipping up and holding when the game starts. Went into test menu for flippers, right flip hold does not engage upward, regular flip works fine. Assuming this means the hold winding of the flipper coil is bad?

Why would the oem fliptronics and the Rottendog act differently though? Am I chasing two issues?

#10205 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The hold coil is not designed to raise the flipper bat, but rather hold it up when the power coil disengages (either via s/w or EOS). While you will find some flippers will raise by themselves during a hold test, if it doesn't then simply raise it by hand and see if the hold coil will keep the flipper bat raised. The fact that your hold test doesn't raise the flipper is not actually a problem.
It sounds like the Rottendog board is faulty, possibly a shorted MOSFET such that the flipper coil is constantly powered - if this is the main flipper power coil it'll result in the coil overheating and melting the coil bobbin and sleeve.
Back to your original problem, can you explain what you mean by a mushy flipper? What is actually happening when you're playing?

As far as my issues, the right side feels less precise and slow to drop from hold position sometimes which makes it feel less responsive during game play as compared to the left. Hard to describe, but it just feels off. Both flippers were rebuilt by previous owner, and nothing looks different between the two, other that the left coil was replaced at one point in its life. Both mechs move smoothly and have the correct FL-11629 coils.

The flipper menu test raises the left flipper nice and smooth, and the right side does not move but you can see it trying to. I will try to manually lift right flipper while in hold test mode and report back this evening.

#10207 1 year ago

Manny65

I have tried switching the 2 opto switches, with no change.

In flipper hold test mode, manually moving the right flipper up works, I think. It briefly holds up before cycling back down.

I will try to tension up the spring or get new springs to see if that helps to make it a bit snappier. This is probably as good as I can hope for.

With regard to the Rottendog fliptronics board, I did a bunch of comparator continuity/diode checks on the transistors to see if there were any anomalies. Couldn't find anything. Thought it would help my case in returning it if I could find a failed component.

Thanks for the assistance.

#10217 1 year ago
Quoted from PolePosition:

I've got a mushy right flipper that I was trying to diagnose, and need some help.
Flippers were rebuilt by previous owner and all mechanical parts look new. Left flipper button opto switch was a newer one, and the right side looked original, so I replaced the right side with a new opto. Some improvement, but wanted to try to see if I could make it better, so I swapped out the original fliptronics board with a new Rottendog. After powering it on the right flipper holds in the up position. Start a game, no response when the right flipper button is pressed. In test menu, the right flipper flips, but struggles to barely move up in the hold test. Do I have a bad/weak coil?

To close the loop on my issue, turns out the opto interrupters had a slight warp to them, and previous owner had filed away part of the plastic that passes thru the optos. I didn't notice this initially. Not sure why the error was different with the Rottendog in, but new interrupters fixed the issue and both the original fliptronics and the Rotty are fine too. Both interrupters that were in the game were filed, which explains why switching left to right changed nothing. Disappointingly, of the two replacement interrupters I purchased, one was badly warped and unusable. Very flimsy pieces, wish there was a more rigid option out there not prone to warp or twisting, say metal? I bought a couple of the spring steel backing plates just in case, but did not seem to be needed. Anyways, glad to have it fixed and on to the next issue. Thanks to all that helped.

#10218 1 year ago

Here's my next mini project. My IJ is a re-import, I wanted to clean up the coin door area, the wiring, etc and replace a bad coin switch. The game had some old school mechanical coin counter inside the cabinet that counted two different foreign coin types that I've since removed. It was connected to the coin switches and coin door interface board for power. My question is in regard to the diodes on the coin switches. Were the diodes added as part of the hacked in coin counter, and can these be removed because the diode function is within the interface board?

Thanks!

IMG_2659 (resized).jpgIMG_2659 (resized).jpgIMG_2660 (resized).jpgIMG_2660 (resized).jpg
#10221 1 year ago

Manny65 and Williampinball - Thanks for the fast reply!

1 month later
#10409 1 year ago

I have a couple questions about the center drop bank target. Every few months I get the drop bank error message, check switches/coil. It triggers because one of the three targets (usually the middle one) fails to reset after about three attempts. I go into switch test mode, verify all switches register, solenoid tests fine also. I have reseated associated connectors, cleaned optos and inspected targets. Targets don’t look worn, but I believe they are original.

With switch errors, do the credit dots normally clear/resolve after the switch tests as fine in test mode? In my case it does not, I have to play a game after exiting test mode, actuate the drop switches, then it clears.

What should I do to fix this infrequent error? Get new drop targets or a whole new bank assembly? Is it normal to get this behavior where it occasionally takes more than a couple reset attempts before the targets stay up, or is that a clue that parts are worn?

5 months later
#10806 7 months ago

Who makes the best IJ cabinet decals these days, or is it even available? Any recent experience/feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

I was orignally thinking radcals, but have since changed my mind, and want to keep the original look if decent decals can be sourced.

#10813 7 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

I've been considering rad cals in the future. Is it the glossiness of them that is steering you away from them?

Partly the gloss, because I like the original look better. Also, after learning the cab has to be stripped and primed/painted black to avoid old image showing thru, I decided I might as well do decals. The initial appeal to do rascals was easy to install with minimal cab prep, but I guess that’s not the case here.

5 months later
#11416 63 days ago

I'm possibly interested in the dirty gold one. PM sent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,419.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

14,000 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poleposition.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club?tu=poleposition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.