IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240316_125513 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider orlandu81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5969 3 years ago

Joined this club a few weeks ago! What a fun machine but not without its quirks. I spent many hours fixing the little issues here and there, and added some tasteful mods. As of today, this machine is 100% working and 98% dialed in...including the POA and Mode Start hole.

Visual Mods I installed to date:
- Comet Pinball LEDs
- Color DMD LCD (I didn't realize it but these guys operate less than a mile from my house)
- Mirrored Backglass from classicplayfields.com (in transit)
- Biplane propeller mod
- Mode Start hole light mod
- POA drop holes light mod
- Cliffys throughout
- Pinbits plastic protectors
- Air deflector mod
- Lost plastic added

Gameplay Mods I performed to date:
- Moved the Mode Start hole deflector back 1/4 inch by drilling out the holes on it, also added some washers to give it a bit more height. Blazing shots from the right flipper drop at around 70%, normal shots from the right flipper at closer to 90%, and soft shots from the left flipper are always dropping at 100%. I thought about adding a dampening square to the deflector to improve the percentages even more...but after reading this thread and others I think the hole is not too challenging but not easy either.
- Lots of trial and error to get the POA dialed in nicely. It's super fast but I am able to get it to either side consistently. Replaced the opto sensors and got the wires super clean and organized to avoid movements while the playfield tilts. Tried many angles with the bridge until I found one that worked nicely.

Other Mods I may do in the future, any recommendations for the best ones I haven't done yet?:
- PDI glass
- Mirror blades
- Orchestration and sound board mod
- New art wrap...the previous owner did not do the greatest job applying the artwork, but it is fine for now.
- Lost Plastic lighting...it is kind of dark back there I don't even really see it.
- Wireform brass exchange with pinballplating.com

Remaining issue to address to get the machine to be dialed in 100%
- The ball will regularly, not too often, get stuck on top of the idol drop down target (single one) during the quick 2 ball multiball challenge. I thought the Cliffys would fix it, but I assume the target is dropping just a few mm below the surface creating a trough for the ball to sit on. I need to disassemble it and clean it, I'm sure that will fix the issue. Not a big deal, I just need to wait until the bonus is over and then the target pops the ball up back in play.

IMG_0815 (resized).jpgIMG_0815 (resized).jpg

#5979 3 years ago

Thanks for the input guys, to be honest the planes by KornFreak28 were not even on my radar since I did the propeller mod but I'm sold from your comments. I just sent him a note to get on the list, hopefully it won't be too long.

I'm hesitant with the pinsound and re-orchestration because I'm concerned it is too much of an alteration to the original game. It sounds fantastic, I listened to the samples, but I'm not sure I want to invade my game that much for upgraded sound that honestly isn't a major change in gameplay or appearance. I feel the same way about the shaker motor.

#6019 3 years ago

I wanted to give a shout-out to Classic Playfield Reproductions for their work on this mirrored back glass. My plexi had a few spots that bothered me and some slight discoloration, so I decided to upgrade it. At first, I regretted the purchase because the price is quite high ($309 shipped), but was quite pleased with the appearance when it arrived today. It is super sharp and really dressed up the machine and I'm happy I spent the cash on this upgrade! This pic doesn't even remotely do it justice...you can see the depth of the image when compared to the plexi which just comes off flat.

vd78TKR.jpgvd78TKR.jpg
#6030 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Since I've restored my game I've been overly critical of game play... I've been doing little tweaks here and there... I'm at the bottom of the barrel now.
Have any of you ever noticed you get rewarded Narrow Escape during a drain? I've seen this quite a bit and its attributed to slow ball speed. When the ball goes down the right out lane, the Narrow Escape reward is given when the upper switch closes but the bottom switch does not register closed within a specified amount of time (don't know exactly what that time is)... the game then assumes the ball is back in play... and reward! Therefore the speed of the ball and distance between actuators is what will drive this reward... since the timing is hard coded.
I've mostly eliminated the issue by changing out the actuator of the bottom switch. It now actuates sooner (but not if the ball comes off the idol ramp and makes it through the gate) so that Narrow Escape wont be rewarded when it shouldn't. I mean if the ball gets all wabble-ly in there the timer can expire and reward you there is nothing that can be done in that case... but that's not the case I care about. Mine seemed to be rewarding quite a bit when it shouldn't ... oh and there was nothing wrong with the switch.
[quoted image]

This happens on mine as well far too often and I was feeling guilty accepting the points. Now I have to fix it...thanks for sharing!

#6037 3 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to give a shout-out to Jenk540i for his start mode modification idea. I know this topic has been debated at length (I have read through the posts about it)...so for those of us who prefer to keep the deflector installed but want a higher % of shots from the right flipper to stick, my results are as follows:

No mods:

30% stick rate from the right flipper

Drilled out the holes in the deflector to move it back 1/4 inch, raised up the deflector slightly with some washers, and added the Cliffy protector:

65% stick rate from the right flipper

Added a small foam rubber protector as recommended by Jenk540i (cost less than a buck and took 6 seconds to install), and I don't see it unless I bend down low and look for it:

90% stick rate from the right flipper (small sample size, will play more over the weekend to see but looks promising so far)

TBH, I didn't want the 100% stick rate...but I don't want 30% either, and 65% was a little more frustrating than I thought it would be. 90% seems like the perfect success rate for my liking.

Yes I know removing the deflector and lining the area with drop dead foam will give you ~99% stick rate...but that is not what I wanted. I wanted the thud, AND I enjoy the risk of losing around 1/10 fast right flipper shots. It's worth the few cents and few seconds to try it out if you are looking for a higher success rate without removing the deflector. It also does not affect the ball release path when ejecting out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-effective-fix-for-ij-mode-start-problem
image0.jpegimage0.jpeg

#6044 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks I'm gonna try this method soon....I've been reluctant to take off the POA (since its now working perfectly) so I can get to the scoop. I'm also a little reluctant to drill into the play field and move it back. I get about 50% rejections as it sits right now so I clearly need to do something. What exactly is a rubber protector? foam on the bottom side of the scoop?

Here is the piece from Marco's. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6534-9

It's $0.30 for one, I bought 5 with my recent order of other stuff. Not sure how long it will last...I'll report back when it falls off. Per the originator of this idea, he has had to replace his foam strip once ever year or so which seems pretty good to me.

BTW - I didn't drill into the playfield...I took off the deflector and increased the hole size on it so I could slide it back 1/4 inch to give it more space when the ball deflects off of it. This helped a bit, just didn't get me the whole way there.

#6048 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks....I think I have a few pieces of that foam.....its an interesting placement...

Yeah I thought it was odd placement at first too but the pop outs happen when I blast the ball in there...the ball bounces slightly up and the pad knocks it back down ever so slightly...just enough that it stays in most of the time. I've had 2 ring out of there tonight...but I really hit it full strength and those two didn't go in perfectly clean either.

It kind of works similar to the air deflector mods...I swear once I installed them the air balls just stopped...and I know the ball is hitting those deflectors I just don't hear it nor do I really see it.

1 week later
#6077 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

On the Narrow Escape reward on drain...
I've been trying all kinds of switch types to see if there is a happy medium in terms of how to make sure the outlane switch is hit. In reality ... its very difficult to solve, primarily because its missing a ball guide. After playing with it it occurred to me there should be some type of guide on the lower right side of that outlane. The ball simply bounces off the lower post of the wire gate, and goes around the switch. If the actuator is too long the ball will get stuck between the actuator and the lower post of the wire gate. Interestingly... I decided to go back and look at the manual... have a look.. they illustrate two posts there!
I've a couple of ideas. I'm not crazy about driving two posts in there... although that may be the right solution ... or maybe not... who knows, this may have been the original design intent but after playing some weirdness occurred with it (like maybe the ball bounced off the top post and back through the gate too often) so they simply didn't bother, opting for the lesser of two evils.
The last thing I'm going to do is try to fabricate a steel ball guide to fit and experiment with that. If there can't be a happy medium position for the ball guide... (meaning not too far to the left that it would affect the performance of the adjustable post or... too far right that the ball could get caught between the ball guide and the switch) it simply wont work. Personally I think an eddy sensor or reed switch would have been perfect here but in the grand scheme of things... I suppose its not that big of a deal.
[quoted image]

Still looking at this i see, but why? Your previous change of the actuator worked for me, I used the same one you quoted and have since had ZERO narrow escape bonuses on a ball drain since dialing it in. I would think you solved this problem already. At first it got caught up in the lane once or twice but I bent the metal slightly until it was perfectly in the middle of the hole and it has been perfect since (around 100 games already).

#6079 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yeah I had to the ball get caught a few times. I wanted to avoid bending the switch actuator. Glad it worked for you !!! [quoted image]

Here is mine, At first i had a couple like your pic but I just had to be sure it was lined up directly in the middle and the issues stopped.

5A8110B2-FE35-4BE3-84B9-E75198EB0026 (resized).jpeg5A8110B2-FE35-4BE3-84B9-E75198EB0026 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#6131 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

They are already on their way. Once I get them tested I will make the .dxf file available to anyone who wants to make them. I just want to make sure it’s a good idea

+1 upvote for Ricochet for potentially solving the same problem in two different ways. I'm still rocking a 100% no false narrow escapes after deploying the actuator replacement you recommended a few pages back, and I've played at least a couple hundred rounds since doing so.

#6148 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Any advice on what to do with this playfield and insert damage?
I'm planning on keeping the game, so I would like to bulletproof and protect it
Mylar at the sling shots?
Mylar at the spots where the balls drop from the ramps?
Cliffy (?) for wear near droptargets?
New insert decals?
Playfield protector?
Any advice would be appreciated!
(And yes I know I have a broken plastic, new one from davi is on its way. Also center droptarget is broken, bought it like this and already got a new one that can be installed)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hello - I'm new to Indy, but the Cliffy's are highly recommended especially behind the drop targets. My playfield had a very small fix done in the same spot as yours next to Marion that the previous owner did. He added mylar in front of the sling shots which stopped further damage from happening.

#6157 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

I picked up an IJ and the ball won't drop down to the POA, it just rolls right on through the ramp. Does anything look off here or do I just need to increase the pitch?
[quoted image]

Well for starters, the metal tab right next to the drop pin is bent WAAAAAAAY too far out. Mine points to the first screw top on the mini PF. Bend it to the left and then report back

Edit: And it does appear your pitch may be too straight with the ramp but it's hard to tell from the picture since we don't know if the playfield is straight or not.

image0 (2) (resized).jpegimage0 (2) (resized).jpeg
#6179 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Hello Everyone!
I wanted to give a shout-out to jenk540i for his start mode modification idea. I know this topic has been debated at length (I have read through the posts about it)...so for those of us who prefer to keep the deflector installed but want a higher % of shots from the right flipper to stick, my results are as follows:
No mods:
30% stick rate from the right flipper
Drilled out the holes in the deflector to move it back 1/4 inch, raised up the deflector slightly with some washers, and added the Cliffy protector:
65% stick rate from the right flipper
Added a small foam rubber protector as recommended by jenk540i (cost less than a buck and took 6 seconds to install), and I don't see it unless I bend down low and look for it:
90% stick rate from the right flipper (small sample size, will play more over the weekend to see but looks promising so far)
TBH, I didn't want the 100% stick rate...but I don't want 30% either, and 65% was a little more frustrating than I thought it would be. 90% seems like the perfect success rate for my liking.
Yes I know removing the deflector and lining the area with drop dead foam will give you ~99% stick rate...but that is not what I wanted. I wanted the thud, AND I enjoy the risk of losing around 1/10 fast right flipper shots. It's worth the few cents and few seconds to try it out if you are looking for a higher success rate without removing the deflector. It also does not affect the ball release path when ejecting out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-effective-fix-for-ij-mode-start-problem
[quoted image]

Hello IJ Williams Owners!

I wanted to give a quick update on this particular start mode fix. After about a month or so, I've gone through 3 of these pads already. While they work quite well, they are slightly too thick that after repetitive ball striking the pad starts to split and tear, and then needs to be replaced. I would say my best estimate is around 150-250 Mode Start entrances before it needs to be replaced due to damage. Last night in an attempt to find a longer lasting solution, I tried a different pad:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/626-5078-00

This one is slightly thinner and is actually slightly more dense and feels stronger. I plan to fully document the amount of strikes it can take, as well as the effectiveness over the next month. While it is early, the results are very promising. I just waxed the playfield so I figured it would be a good opportunity to try the smaller and slightly thinner pad. So I played a few rounds after waxing and the ball was flying as fast as possible. I also purposely tried to focus on blasting shots with the right flipper to see the stick rate on those shots, rather than focusing on the softer left flipper shot which we know will stick no matter what. I was blown away...while a small sample size, I have had 49/50 stick so far. Like I said, I was blasting the hell out of the ball and very early results show 95+%. What's even better is I inspected the pad after the 50th strike and there is no signs of tearing or damage....yet. In a month I'll know more.

#6186 3 years ago

Hey guys, my goal of the update on the pad was not to restart the argument of which fix is best, it was meant to help those who are looking for a very quick, non-intrusive added boost to your success rate of the mode start hole. There are many complete solutions out there, and at the moment the one I described is my current favorite for me on my machine. The pad is half the size of an M&M, costs $.22, and takes 30 seconds to install (of which 25 seconds is removing and replacing the playfield glass). Again, there are lots of solutions out there that work...but for me, I’m hoping that this pad (plus my existing adjustments) will be my permanent fix.

1- bend deflector forward slightly to ensure a nice 45 degree angle
2- Move deflector back 1/4 inch
3- raise deflector 1/4 inch with washers
4- add small pad and HOPE to not have to change it for as long as possible

#6194 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Hello IJ Williams Owners!
I wanted to give a quick update on this particular start mode fix. After about a month or so, I've gone through 3 of these pads already. While they work quite well, they are slightly too thick that after repetitive ball striking the pad starts to split and tear, and then needs to be replaced. I would say my best estimate is around 150-250 Mode Start entrances before it needs to be replaced due to damage. Last night in an attempt to find a longer lasting solution, I tried a different pad:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/626-5078-00
This one is slightly thinner and is actually slightly more dense and feels stronger. I plan to fully document the amount of strikes it can take, as well as the effectiveness over the next month. While it is early, the results are very promising. I just waxed the playfield so I figured it would be a good opportunity to try the smaller and slightly thinner pad. So I played a few rounds after waxing and the ball was flying as fast as possible. I also purposely tried to focus on blasting shots with the right flipper to see the stick rate on those shots, rather than focusing on the softer left flipper shot which we know will stick no matter what. I was blown away...while a small sample size, I have had 49/50 stick so far. Like I said, I was blasting the hell out of the ball and very early results show 95+%. What's even better is I inspected the pad after the 50th strike and there is no signs of tearing or damage....yet. In a month I'll know more.

Hello IJ Owners!

First, I'm super excited that Ricochet is making a new deflector! Definitely put me down for 1 when they are in production, as this would eliminate the need for me to use a pad.

Ok so I wanted to provide a quick update. I tracked 150 mode start shots...most of which were fast shots off of the right flipper. Final results were 96% stick rate. However, I decided to inspect the pad at this point and noticed it was tearing. It looked like it had about 50-100 more hits left before it would completely tear. So...not much improvement over the previous pad. I plan to stick with this new one though, as it is smaller, thinner, and blends better...while holding a high % success rate. The ultimate solution is a new deflector that keeps the ball from popping out of the scoop, while at the same time allowing a clean release from it.

#6196 3 years ago

Just received my PDI glass from pinballdecals.com...it is very nice. At first I was hesitant given the hefty price tag, but there is very visible improvement in the glare. The pictures don't even do it justice...from up close it's like there is no glass.

In any case...I would only recommend this if you have the money to burn or have questionable eyesight. While I do like it, the improvement is now not as apparent once it is on and in use. It's hard to explain...it looks good and all but in all honesty I don't remember the regular glass looking that bad to begin with.

image0 (4).jpegimage0 (4).jpeg
1 week later
#6221 3 years ago

Hello IJ Williams Owners -

I'm having a small issue that I cannot figure out and was hoping someone has seen it and can give me some guidance. I was playing a game this evening and during Well of Souls mode I was draining a ton of balls into the ball lock area for the big points. At some point during the barrage of balls that entered into the ball lock, the Ball Trough Assembly (A-16317) didn't release them all to the Idol and the game thought I had balls left that never made it back in play. Apparently the ball(s) were stuck in the tray under the ball lock. After subsequently going into test mode I was able to have the ball(s) that didn't make it through released and all was well again.

But now about every 3rd or 4th ball lock, it doesn't make it's way to the idol. All other times it does though...which is strange to see the inconsistent behavior. Subsequent to the ball not releasing to the pop up area, I can hear the solenoid attempting to pop the ball up over and over again as it expects the ball to have been released. To make matters more entertaining, if its a ball 3 lock, the game gets confused and starts the music and light show multiple times as it thinks the balls should be being released when they are not. Eventually the stuck ball makes its way through, and then the problem repeats after a few more successful ball locks.

What's very odd is that sometimes I hear the solenoid trying to pop up a ball up into the idol even when all balls are all in the bottom trough already or already in play. I even heard the solenoid popping during attract mode a few times right after the problem appeared!

No errors in the program, no issues with the operation of the solenoids in the test menu. All wiring looks clean and intact. I also cleaned both sets of optos in the A-16317 trough. Cycling the power didn't help either. To me this sounds like the optos may be bad? I'll change the fuse tomorrow at F103 and inspect the main driver board for any issues but after those troubleshooting steps I'm out of ideas besides replacing the optos.

Any advice is highly appreciated! Last time I had a weird issue like this it was in the bottom trough and it was solved by performing a ball drop into the bottom trough while in Tests - Switch Edge. I'm hoping it's something simple like that...

#6223 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

On the surface this seems like an optic issue. Either intermittent transmitters, dirty receivers or something with the optic board itself. There are two sets in the trough, one on enter and another on eject. This is of course the captain obvious recommendation

Thanks Ricochet for helping confirm my thoughts that it is the optos. I luckily had a spare set from Marco’s laying around and I simply tried replacing each of the three sets under the trough area one at a time until finding the culprit. After getting to the ball release solenoid directly under the idol and swapping those optos out the problem has seemed to be eradicated. I will obviously test the hell out of it today but I triggered a well of souls mode and rolled about 10 balls through the ball lock successfully.

This is the second time I’ve had a set of optos fail on me, the other set was on the POA. Is it common for these to fail regularly? I feel like I should have at least a few sets on hand as backup.

1 week later
#6259 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

This one (hi-Z) works PHENOMENALLY !!!
This is a difficult metric to collect. All I can say is that every time I tried to get the shot... from either flipper it stuck!! Random fall-ins during game play or multi ball were not considered.
With the factory deflector ... I could rarely make the shot with the right flipper. In fact I was resigned to just making it with left flipper.
[quoted image]

Take my money now please! I need this in my life. I’ve had to change my pad out every couple days lately given increased playing time and more accurate shooting.

#6261 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

best for my machine was to remove the bracket completely, but dead bounce foam in the back and lower the actual scoop some more... i get 99% retention from strong flipper forehand now, good enough

Yes, I understand. It is apparent in the thread there are two schools of thought...Team Thud, and Team No Thud. Personally I like hearing the thud of the deflector, and I don't want to add any foam. For these reasons, I would rather keep my temporary solution going until a better designed deflector is made. I have nothing against Team No Thud, and I'm sure it works great. I need a loud thud in my life...

#6265 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I’m going to lengthen the hood a bit (to minimize the ball bashing the plastic) and try with and without a lip... however the basic design is good.

The pinbits plastic protectors extend out a smidge towards the shooter, not sure if you need to take this into account or not.

#6272 3 years ago

I read that too and I thought maybe I was the only one who would notice. Now it’s a stain on this thread forever...

#6284 3 years ago

Hello Everyone - A new problem reared its ugly head tonight.

In short, when I go to the POA, if I move the mini playfield the switches on the playfield don't register when the ball trips them and it's like the mode just kind of ends. In fact, if I fall through the pit hole it doesn't do the scream noise and it actually will show the cut screen of the snow sledding scene that happens when you trip the microswitch under the mini PF directly in front of the arrow as the ball crosses it. If I do NOT trigger the mini playfield to move at all during the POA mode, the switches trip fine and when the ball drops into the pit, I hear the scream and see the proper video sequence.

Any ideas what is causing the movement of the mini PF to cancel out the mode? The only thing that I did differently is earlier today I had to adjust the metal post slightly at the point the ball drops into the PF because the ball was dropping more to one side (I recently changed the armor the other day and that messed with L/R balance of the machine slightly). Nothing else is different. No errors are showing up. The switches all activate properly in test mode. The mini PF motor works great in test mode.

Please any advice would be appreciated, the game is currently unplayable if I can't rely on the POA to work properly all of a sudden.

#6289 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Weird... Smells like an intermittent connection. I would snoop around column 7 (green-violet).

Quoted from AaronZOOM:

To me, it sounds like a crossed wire somewhere. The same old problem of having multiple switches fire when you trigger something unrelated. Perhaps when the POA triggers its left/right limit switch, it ALSO triggers a lower playfield switch, tricking the game into thinking the ball had already left the POA. Could be the flippers doing it, too.
I'd put it into switch test mode, and test both the flippers and activate the optos on the POA manually (the ones on the board, not the pit or EB holes), and see if you get that flicker of more than one switch activating. You said that it works fine if you don't move it side to side, so that probably rules out the POA entry switch or any of the lane switches.
Also, I just woke up, and it's possible everything I just said is nonsense. Good luck!

Thank you both for your input. I will have to look this over later today. Not sure if it helps, but what I did prior to the issue surfacing was I replaced all my armor with powdercoated pieces from Robert Stone (they look awesome by the way). Upon doing so, I think my left/right balance was off slightly and I noticed the ball dropping into the mini playfield and going left by default instead of dropping in the middle. So I took the glass of and manual triggered ADVENTURE and manually rolled the ball up the ramp to the Mini PF over and over to test that it was dropping in the right place after adjusting the tabs. Once I got it where I liked it, it seemed fine. Then later when I played I noticed the issue.

I have done nothing else to the machine, and it worked flawlessly before these events took place. It definitely seems like when I activate the flippers after the ball drops into the mini PF now, the game acts just like it does when the POA run ends...you know what I mean? You know how normally after running the ball down the mini PF you have 1-2 seconds of being able to move the mini PF with the flipper buttons before it goes back into "normal mode"...this is what seems to be happening immediately when I activate the flippers once the ball drops into the playfield. I get about 1-2 seconds of moving the mini PF and no switches on it are tripped. It's like the machine time travelled forward a few seconds and is skipping the run.

1 week later
#6407 3 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I am in need of IJ plastic set. I purchased a repro set from a reputable vendor. However, the repro set is a very light orange compared to the original. I was told by the vendor, all repro sets will look like this as the films came directly from PPS. Is this true??? Does anyone have a repro set that looks more like the original? Thanks for any feedback.
[quoted image]

Honestly, you should be using that piece that Davi makes in place of that Raise Jackpot plastic since it has a nice built in air deflector. The other piece you are referencing is pretty hidden...that one wouldn't bother me as much to use as is, but I understand your concern.

#6418 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

I sanded to the white on the cabinet because I saw Radcals can be semi transparent. Also I needed to fix cab dings. It was easy though. Sanded to white, spray painted black, wet sand smooth, and apply

Wet sanding, while very effective, is the absolute worst activity ever. If there is a hell and I end up going there, I am confident I will be on a treadmill while wet sanding.

#6430 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Onto next one...
Looks like the hammerpede (Prometheus movie) before bending.
This is a bit of a pain to bend because of the compound angles.
Trying with and without bumpers.
S-U-C-H A P-A-I-N I-N T-H-E A-S-S T-O T-E-S-T !!!!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Exciting! While I hope both will work the same, I am rooting for no bumpers #teamthud

Just curious, why did you make this one skinnier and only use 2 of the 3 screw holes? Is there a plan to do one that is wider and utilizes the extra benefit of the 3 holes in the PF?

1 week later
#6464 3 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Question: i have Pinsound on my IJ and lately, mid-game, the sound has been "shorting" out . No sound. No fun. anybody else have this happen or does anyone know of a solution. i am wondering if i have overloaded a power supply

This happened to me once the other day for the first time....I've been monitoring it and waiting for it to happen again. I am hoping it was a one time issue.

Your self diagnosis file should tell you the power range that is being sent to the PCB. Mine is around 4.8V which seemed a little low to me but is in the acceptable range per PinSound

#6467 3 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

thanks
self diagnosis file - i will see if i can find that

Here is a recent test of mine after it happened, nothing out of the ordinary. I do have 4 mixes on mine so who knows. Let us know your results.

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
------------------

POWER SUPPLIES
------------------
5V MEASURED: 4817mV (expected range: 4700mV - 5100mV)
[lowest 5V measured: 4755mV / highest 5V measured: 4877mV]

AMPLIFIER VOLTAGE MEASURED: 15883mV (expected range: 11000mV - 26000mV)
[lowest amplifier voltage measured: 15210mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 16065mV]

#6473 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Happened to me multiple times. After cooling down and restart the issue resolved. I contacted Christophe from pinsound. I have a pinsound v1.4. So an older one. Christophe said to remove D25 from the board. So I did. Seems ok now. Last game night no issues. But still testing this.

Interesting. Mine hasn't done it since, but to be honest I haven't put the machine through some hard work testing yet (game after game after game to heat it up). The usb dongle gets hot as hell when running even on the newest version that I have, so I will keep this in mind. D25...what board is this located on, the Pinsound + board?

#6486 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Any suggestions on speaker set?

It all comes as a set from pinsound.

#6498 3 years ago

Everyone, just let me find my balls, for God's sakes. 1, 2, and 3. Okay, I'm okay, I'm okay.

6fe8c0f3d495b76d1b4023a88cde68b0.746x436x1 (resized).jpg6fe8c0f3d495b76d1b4023a88cde68b0.746x436x1 (resized).jpg
#6518 3 years ago

Hey guys! I finally finished my “topper” with the right pieces found mostly on Etsy. Customizations are not everyone’s cup of tea, just sharing my personal taste in some IJ flair for this machine.

I chose to not use the ark...main reason being I wanted the topper to have replica props that could pass as authentic at first glance. A mini ark would discount the perceived authenticity, albeit brief, of the other pieces.

The order I placed them in was meant to match the artwork on the back panel, not the order of the movies or the order on the speaker panel.

The first three pieces are pretty light and museum gel worked well to keep them from moving. The stone is a bit heavier, so I drilled a hole in it and epoxied a bolt in there to attach to the top of the back box. Yes I drilled a small hole in the top of the cab...it was totally worth it and to me it wasn’t a big deal. If there was a real topper made by Williams for this in 1993, you can bet it would need to be drilled into the top too.

Have a good holiday weekend and enjoy your IJ Williams! I’m still trying to get near a billion.

32233B24-AE68-430A-A987-FF3DF59A1C52.jpeg32233B24-AE68-430A-A987-FF3DF59A1C52.jpeg
1 week later
#6581 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Has anyone put colorLED on the IJ?
I know the prevailing logic is to use colorLCD.
I like the brightness of the LED.
Cany someone post pics of IJ with colorLED?

LCD here...I like the versatility and the ability to change the style of the output. It is PLENTY bright, in fact if it were any brighter it would be too distracting.

#6590 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

To add more of my totally "unbiased" opinion...
I find LCD to look washed out and have a "fake" feel to it, if that makes sense. Like virtual pinball instead of "real" pinball.
DotsXL is fine, but not a real improvement. And though there are many who will strongly disagree with me, I think the smoothed "high resolution upscaling" is downright ugly. As an artist, it hurts me to the core to see someone's fine work done dirty like this.

Since we are being “unbiased”, as an LCD owner I agree that the smooth up scaling on Indy does not look good, and does not fit the look of the machine or the animations. However, i like having the ability to alter the style. 99% of the time I have it on the dotXL setting.

For some games though, the upscaling looks great. I have one on my Ghostbusters and use the ScanLines setting and it looks infinitely better to me vs. the dots. The dot look on a newer pin like that makes it look dated.

If I know what I know now, my decision on Indy LED vs LCD would be more difficult than it was since I only use dotXL...but I am not sure i would change it. I don’t think you can go wrong upgrading from the orange dmd to either the LCD or LED.

DD57653D-955A-4793-99F5-5EA35854473D (resized).jpegDD57653D-955A-4793-99F5-5EA35854473D (resized).jpeg
#6596 3 years ago

Has anyone had a problem with the playfield glass rattling with the Pinsound + shaker? This is pretty specific...so I apologize. The combination of my PDI glass and the shaker (on the lowest setting) causes a vibration that rattles 1) when the ball goes up the right ramp when lit, and 2) when the ball goes nuts with the pop bumpers. I guess I could alter the vibration settings in the pinsound app to be reduced, but would prefer more shake and less rattle.

I've tried fabric tape and it helps, but it doesn't stick to the glass and often times gets jammed in the slot so every time I remove the glass the tape comes with it. I have some thin 1/16 weatherstripping on order from amazon I can try but I fear that is too thick. My side rails and insert plastic is locked in nice and tight...I recently replaced the stock armor with Robert Stone powder coated armor so it is perfect. Maybe it is too perfectly tight?

Any proposed ideas to keep the playfield glass nice and snug in there would be helpful. I have the same PDI glass in my Ghostbusters (Premium)-le and it is tight as a drum with zero rattle.

#6600 3 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I had the same issue used this tape. Cut in half as it was to wide and has worked great for the last year. [quoted image]

Quoted from PtownPin:

I don't think the glass matters (at least on my games)....PDI, invisiglass, standard are all about the same thickness....have you tried felt tape? I used it on my MMRLE (along the top and bottom) and it worked well.

Ok I bought both of these and will try them. Where did you apply the tape? I think the rattle comes from the sides...did you apply around the side edges?

#6606 3 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Yes, I would have added more if the rattle had not went away. Good additional info, thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! I will copy this and see what happens. By the way I have that key chain on my IJ too!

1 week later
#6686 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

"Also, of course you're going to want a set of these quality target decals," he said in a fit of shameless self-promotion.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1262-pinjewels/03842-indiana-jones-metallic-target-decals-free-shipping-avail

I have the AaronZOOM drop target decals and ADV URE decals on my machine and they are a very nice visual upgrade, and go great with the proper LEDs. I plan on ordering another set to have just as a spare.

1 week later
#6843 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm not sure its possible to beat IJ? is completing the game when u collect all the modes and trying to collect the 1 Billion prize? I've gotten there twice and wasn't close to hitting every shot. The challenge is the POA....

I've been playing IJ a lot lately trying to get better. I've had it since the beginning of the pandemic and it took me a month to wipe out the computer from the top 5 scores. This game is quite a grind, but in a fun way. I am slowly getting better and better, but have a long way to go. Scored ~875m last week and am averaging higher scores each round. My machine is super dialed in at 6.5 degrees (only missing Lao's Antidote)...I really hope to see Wizard Mode before the end of the year.

I have played a lot of games, and the wide range of skill levels that IJ caters to is incredible. The game was fun when I didn't know anything, it was fun when I thought I knew everything, and it's still fun today with all my strategies.

#6845 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Once I installed the new deflector it was a game changer to me. Prior to that I would get so many drop outs from the deflector I ignored modes and would go for jackpots instead. Now that I have the new deflector its completely changed the game play experience. Now I purposely go for modes, which completely changes the game play experience. Its really a game changer.

Actually I have a mode start fix I deploy which gives me about a 80-90% stick rate at the moment. Lao's Antidote will give me my thud and the remaining 10-20%.

At first I was all mode start...thinking that was the best way to grind out points. What was happening was I was taking too many high risk shots towards the mode hole and since I wasn't the best with my shots I would hit a post and get a drain quite a bit. Now what I do is every shot is calculated. For example, ball coming mid-speed down the right in-lane with ball lock open on just the right side and well of souls + hand of fate is the mode option = take a risk and go for the mode hole.

Strategies will only get me so far...practice and consistent shot accuracy will get me to the wizard mode!

#6847 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Sounds like your on the right track I know a lot of people removed the factory deflector and replaced it with foam so the mode hole shot was reliable. I prefer the "thud" sound as well. The challenge has always been from the right flipper. The new deflector solves that problem.

I actually am using a Ricochet proto....the Z-flector + Pad on the plastic as a temporary solution until I have Lao's Antidote in hand. Less thud, but the pad lasts 10X longer than my previous fix of moving the original deflector back and raising it up slightly.

This is all moot once the Antidote is available.

1 week later
#6917 3 years ago

Im glad you got it sorted out.

After a complete cleaning/waxing/new white rubbers and setting the pitch to 5.9 to 6.0 degrees, the games play perfectly.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this. On my machine at 6.0, the game would be painfully slow. At 6.5, I can hit every shot no problem and the game moves nice and swiftly. Perhaps your flipper strength is too low? The standard for pins to my knowledge is 6.5, so I'm having trouble with your 6.0 recommendation here.

#6924 3 years ago

Certainly you can raise the pitch to 7.1 or 7.5 degrees and put in the hotter flipper coils, many people do.
It makes for a very challenging game!
But i have had my IJ games set from 5.5 to 7.5 degrees and tested in .1 increments over a long time.
Over-all I believe the game plays best at about 6 degrees with standard flipper coils and has good flow for the average player.
Less mode start and right ramp rejects and the POA is more managable. Flipper fade on long games is less noticable.
Less wear and tear on the drop targets, less captive ball rejects.
You are probably an amazing player! But not everyone is a great player, But everyone wants to have fun.

I am far from an amazing player I assure you, but I also don't believe you should be able to hit the right ramp from a standstill with the right flipper in this game. But as you said, if it makes it more fun for the average player then go for it, at 6.0 you will see many more billion point games as it will become much much easier. I have my Indy next to my Ghostbusters which is inherently fast, and I've been playing the new Turtles quite a bit too which is even faster. At 6.5, Indy is still slower than these other two (albeit not by much).

#6927 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think what makes this game challenging is hitting the ramps consistently. I have mine setup at 6.5 and I can't back hand either ramp.

Yes me too here, I didn't say left flipper to left ramp because once in a blue moon I can get it up that left ramp from a standstill, but in reality I don't ever try that shot on my machine.

Every machine probably feels a little different (absent the pitch), and they are all fine as long as the owner is happy in home-use situations. I personally love the challenge of the game, and as I think I said in an earlier post, the learning curve for this game is long...I am still learning new strategies and honing my shot accuracy. My mode hole is about 80-90% stick at the moment, it is set at 6.5, POA is aligned and works great, and my high score is 875m after 6 months of WFH and slowly going up.

IJ is the best pin ever....

#6929 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

My favorite shot is the captive ball ... I love the feel of it both when collecting the treasure and progressing through the castle.
What’s yours ???

Ummm...Hurry up!

#6935 3 years ago

For a bit of challenge try removing the outlane posts!

Slow down now...I'm not looking for a painful challenge, I still haven't even broken a billion!

#6936 3 years ago

So I figured I would share this info in case anyone is interested...my home arcade is in the garage and it is below the master bedroom. In the evenings if I want to play my machines I need to use headphones. With the Pinsound + board I also got the headphone station and keep a good pair of headphones there for when needed.

The problem is I hate visible wires. They drive me bonkers. So I looked into wireless headphones and found a transmitter and headphone combo I like that has no noticeable delay at all. Both the transmitter used and the headphones used must have the aptX LL (low latency) codec or there will be significant delay (1-2 seconds) which is unacceptable. Most of the big name headphones don't bother with this special codec, I assume because most people are just listening to music or talking on the phone and don't need low latency. So be sure to get headphones that have this exact codec...and when paired with a transmitter that has this codec it is a nice benefit to not have wires anywhere. I just walk from machine to machine plugging in the transmitter.

I believe the Indy Pinsound + board also has a headphone jack on the pcb itself if you don't have the headphone station.

Headphones I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VLWPXF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

Transmitter used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTFRKQM/ref=dp_prsubs_1

#6938 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

So does that transmitter plug directly into the PinSound + board?

It can, yes, but I imagine it would be inconvenient to access. I have the Pinsound headphone station which plugs into the sound board, and I just go into that since it is easy access. Alternatively if you wanted to make an inexpensive option you could always get a male to female audio cable to plug directly into the sound board to kind of use as an extension under the playfield up to the coin door and then plug the transmitter into that.

https://www.pinsound.org/headphones-station/

#6945 3 years ago

$50 more than the pinsound product and no place to hang your headphones? What’s the benefit of this?

#6947 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I like the integration of it. Hanging the headphones isn’t a deal breaker for me.

Maybe I’m missing something but what integration? From what I’m reading they integrate the same way, same features and connectors. One is on the Coin door and one is on the leg, is this the only difference?

#6950 3 years ago

Well whichever headphone station you choose, remember:

- for WIRELESS, you need a transmitter and headphones that have the aptX LL codec

- for WIRED, you can’t use headphones that are meant to go with a phone. In other words, if you have headphones that are meant to be integrated with an iPhone it WILL NOT WORK with the pinsound board. I get massive interference and feedback when using my Bose noise cancelling set (both of them) that I normally use in travel. Headphones need to not have the controls that make the connector have the extra ring around it.

#6951 3 years ago
Quoted from SGSA:

For many it boils down to which look you prefer and which features you want.
With the Pinnovators kit you have a bit more when it comes to choice when playing. As an example...
Example 1 - You are playing with another player(s) but still want to use headphones so you can focus on the game/callouts. With our kit you can be wearing your headphones and the other player(s) can still hear gameplay.
Example 2 - You are using headphones for the purpose of not disturbing others, no problem, just mute the machine with the mute switch on the panel and you can still hear game play from the headphones.
Also, with many of our kits (not this one) you can adjust the system volume as well. When the headphones are plugged in and even when they aren't. We are currently working on adding that feature to our kits that are compatible with Williams/Bally. It's available on our kits compatible with Stern, Spooky & American Pinball.
As far as no place to hang the headphones, we are also working on that

Thanks for the clarity. The pinsound station does all of these things except no mute button, so if you want everyone to hear as well you need to toggle the switch on the pinsound board itself with their station. Mute button is a nice touch but I can’t imagine being in a situation where I would want it to come through the speakers and my headphones at the same time. I’ll keep an eye on your version if you can integrate hanging the headphones I may switch over.

#6955 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its a much cleaner look.....now that being said I like the blue tooth headphone idea although its nice to have external volume control

External volume can be controlled with the volume pot on the pinsound headphone station too. It controls the main sound or if Headphones are plugged it in adjusts the volume on those instead. On the drinks...my arcade was Vid based first...so I have these custom metal drink holders which stand on the ground in front of the video machine so I don't use pin gulps personally. Again, a matter of personal taste. All of these products are great, I'm happy we have lots of choices.
772E8CBC-6519-4DDD-AB66-9B52428545AC (resized).jpeg772E8CBC-6519-4DDD-AB66-9B52428545AC (resized).jpeg

4A530AFD-0592-4337-86EB-622F3C1C067D (resized).jpeg4A530AFD-0592-4337-86EB-622F3C1C067D (resized).jpeg
#6959 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Nervermind I see thats its connected to the headphone jack ! I like the idea if connecting one at the board if u can make it work?

The station (both versions) connect using a Cat 5 (?) cable to the pinsound board, but there is also a 3.5mm female jack on the board too

You can connect the transmitter directly to the pinsound board if you like, but then how will you turn it on? I guess theoretically if you don't have the station and wanted it hidden fully, you would need to have the transmitter powered at all times and just stay on always...even if there are no headphones connected. I wish there was integration, but both pinsound and pinnovators chose to leave it out, which makes sense. Most people are fine with the wired headphones, and the ones that aren't often overreact to the sound delay because they aren't using LL headphones/transmitter. I would imagine that the bluetooth integration would require a low latency codec, but then reliance on the consumer to use the right headphones is tough.

#6961 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm wondering if u connected that transmitter to the headphone jack (and left it on all the time) if the sound would only be directed to the headphones? U would need a way to switch from head phones to normal use.

Good question, but i think they thought of a solution. On the pinsound board, there is a toggle switch that mutes the speakers when headphones are plugged in, or simply not. You can have the speakers stay UNmuted and just raise the volume of the speakers using the buttons on the coin door.

#6964 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Be nice to see if this works or not. So if u don't connect your headphones via BT the default sound is directed through the speakers in the back back, and volume is controlled with the knob on the pin sound headphone station (or the volume on the coin door)? and once u connect your headphones its redirected?

No, the machine doesn't know if you have bluetooth headphones or not. If the transmitter is plugged in, the pinsound board thinks you have headphones in 100% of the time, so you need to have both speaker output and headphone output simultaneously as your selected option, and then simply don't connect the headphones to the transmitter and you would be fine. If you want to hear it through headphones but not through the external speakers, simply open the coin door and turn the volume to zero using the buttons inside the pin, not the station, and then connect your headphones to the transmitter...I think. I will check later to confirm.

I have the Stern Spike coin door headphone plate on my GB Prem and it works like this, so I may be mixing my machines here.

#6968 3 years ago
Quoted from Nomanimdave:

Even at just under 6.0, the right ramp shot from the left flipper must be absolutely perfect to make it up the ramp, or it rolls back frustratingly.

This is odd to me...Mine is at 6.5 and I crush that shot, the ball flies around the ramp. I don't think my flippers are using stronger coils but I admittedly don't know for sure.

#6974 3 years ago

Ok for my own sanity here, since there seems to be different thoughts on what the pitch should be, I took a quick video of my gameplay.

Before you mock my abhorrent gameplay, note I'm sitting down and just wanted to take a quick video. I normally don't have so many brick shots.

The pitch is 6.5, and it definitely moves hella fast. My flippers have no issues though, so I don't know if my flippers have upgraded parts or what (based on the condition I received this machine in, this is doubtful, but anything is possible).

Mode start hole is currently the proto Z flector (will replace with Lao's Antidote) plus a pad on the underside of the plastic.

POA movement is at 2:59

#6979 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yours plays like mine....Looks like your Z deflector works pretty well. The one I tested worked better than factory, but not nearly as good as the new design. The problem is reliability from the right flipper.....by the way game blades look great on IJ

Z deflector only works well because of the pad I'm using under the plastic. Without the pad, the Z deflector works as you said, was probably about 40-50%. With a pad, I'm at 80-90%. I'm looking forward to Lao's Antidote simply because of 1) I miss the loud thud, and 2) I won't have to change pads every month or so anymore.

I have blades from KornFreak28 I just haven't installed them yet. They are uncut, so I need other blades to cut the proper shape before installing.

#6983 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I didn't know Korn made game blades? Do you have a pic? u should get on his list for the planes...their interactive and a great look in the game. I've been testing the new design for a month and it works great. I configured my game as close to @Richochets as possible (same flipper coils, flipper rubbers, and pitch) with the goal of eliminating as many variables as possible. Mine has been very reliable so I'm pretty confident most will love it.

I'm in the next group for his planes! Been on the list since I got my machine 6 months ago.

#6985 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks...is that the mirrored CPR back glass? Looks nice

I have this backglass too...it is EPIC!!!!!

#6987 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yes it is.. and yes it does... in fact I think it looks even better when the game is off. I know that sounds weird.[quoted image]

It looks great on or off. It's hard to capture the beauty of it through a photograph when the game is on. The mirrored backglass looks like it would look if it was released today as an LE pin IMO. A must have to upgrade the look of the pin.

#6989 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I need a NOS speaker plastic. Mine has some wear that bugs me.
There are repros our there but I’m skeptical they will be as good as the original.

Over the DMD yes? I have some minor wear there, shows its age when looking up close. I have not found a replacement yet either.

#7000 3 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Mine is about 2/10 to big. I’ll try using the metal. I really don’t want to try and trim the glass.
Thank you

I’m using the stock plastic channel with mine and it fit perfect as well.

#7073 3 years ago

I have my game set, up .1 degrees on the left side.
It makes for a slower return from the pops but a managable blue lane. lol.

I inadvertently did this on my IJ and kept it, it is a good trade-off. Mine is still showing the bubble in the center but SLIGHTLY more up on the left side, and I mean like a hair or two. The slow roll down from the captive ball after a direct hit most of the time will drop just far enough to the right to keep it in play with the right flipper.

2 weeks later
#7136 3 years ago

Well it only took 7 months...finally got my first billion point score!

3-balls (no super ball - I keep it off)
6.5 pitch
Freshly waxed - it was fast as hell!
Standard scoring rules

This particular game was a grind, lasted me 15 minutes at least. I only completed 5 modes, most of my points came from jackpots and ball locks, with about 100M or so coming from Super Jets. I think I had 5 multiball opportunities and hit the super jackpot twice. I know I can do better, definitely coming into a groove now.

451EBBF3-15D3-4359-8B56-116FAB018592 (resized).jpeg451EBBF3-15D3-4359-8B56-116FAB018592 (resized).jpeg

#7138 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Nice. My game is still "pre-shop" so it might be a bit slower but I've been experimenting a lot with what gameplay strategy gets me the most points. Trying to specifically get better at timing/stacking/selecting modes with multi balls and circumstances. Like avoiding Well Of Souls if at all possible until I have Super Jets running ect.
What the fuck is Super Ball while I'm at it? I've always had mine off.

I like mine fast, but I know others on this thread like it a bit slower at 6.0. There is a pretty big difference in difficulty with this game if you adjust the pitch even a little I have found.

My strategy varies on the shot and situation...for example if the ball lock has all 3 drop targets UP and the mode on deck is a video mode (no chance of death) I will be more risky and go for the harder shot into the mode hole from the right flipper. Alternatively if the ball lock hole is open (drop targets are down) and the mode is one that I have a high risk of death (Get the Idol), I will aim for ball lock instead. Hand of Fate plays a role in these decisions too.

My point is...there isn't one strategy you can use because the game's scoring is quite balanced. You need to be good at everything in this game to score big...all shots need to be near perfect too. This is what keeps me coming back to it. As far as the super ball goes, I believe it is meant to entice the player to put in another quarter to get an extra ball as well as some eternal life time. As a result, mine is off 100% of the time.

#7141 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Great game....prior to getting the mode hole fixed that was my strategy, but since the mode hole is now spot on I find myself working through modes along with pounding Jack pots.....once the mode hole is working properly it really changes the game experience (far more enjoyable), which is what makes this game so special.

My mode hole is fine (90% stick rate), mathematically speaking I didn't go for the mode hole as many times as usual in this round given the circumstances previously mentioned. For me personally, going mode hole ALL THE TIME is not the wisest strategy unless you are highly skilled at making that super fast shot from the right flipper (90% accuracy or so). I can make it often, but...if you miss even a little and hit one of the posts there is a higher probability of a fast drain versus a missed shot when going for the left ramp or the ball lock.

#7156 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Whaaaat...that's crazy! But also pretty neat.
Does it mess with the programming, though? Does a completed ramp shot require the ball to hit the right inlane switch to properly register any shots? Or is it good enough just to hit the ramp switches?
To clarify - does it confuse the game at all if the ball hits the switches in the order Rt. Ramp Enter --> Rt. Ramp Top --> Idol Exit

It is interesting...but I am not a fan of the reduced score you will get as a result. Hitting the right ramp should light hand of fate, but with this redesign it will not. Perhaps if it was made to drop the ball in the same place as the original it would work better.

#7163 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Adding micro switch so hand of fate will always light up.
Thank you for the feedback

Ah, that should work as long as it is on the wire form and is tripped before it drops back down on the playfield.

I like how you have the ruins in the back raised, it adds some nice depth to it.

1 week later
#7229 3 years ago

Hello IJ Owners!

I have a small issue I wanted to get the Group's thoughts on. In short, I had to replace my Single Drop Target due one of the threads was broken off (I received the machine from the previous owner this way). I went with the one from Pinball Life (link below) and it is very good. The problem I am having now is that the airballs off of this drop target are more prevalent than ever. When I hit a hard fastball with the left flipper up the blue pathway, the drop target often smashes the ball back like a hard hit line drive right into the wing of the white plane. As I'm on the planes waiting list with KornFreak28 ... I'm thinking I need to solve this problem before my new planes are installed.

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-bank-drop-target-assembly.html

I use the plastic from Davi on the 3 bank targets and it works flawlessly...no airballs there. On the single drop target I have a deflector but the ball seems to fly more on a line drive than up. OR...I can see that the deflector is positioned higher up than the one on the 3 bank target, which may be high enough to cause the ball to not hit the deflector on those shots.

So my next idea was to deploy the same fix used on my GB premium. It too has drop targets and there are numerous complaints about airballs off of them, which was remedied by using the stronger springs (also from Pinball Life) that can be found at the link below. The problem is...this GB spring is the exact same spring that is already on my new single drop target mechanism. So my spring is higher tension, yet I'm still seeing the issue.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ghostbusters-scoleri-brothers-drop-target-spring-fix-kit.html

Do you recommend I make the spring even tighter? looser? Any ideas are welcomed

#7231 3 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

What kind of Post Rubbers do you have installed behind the drop target?

Ironically those are the only ones I haven’t changed due to their PITA location.

Hmmm...are you implying that maybe my drop target is dropping so fast is causing the fast ball to actually continue past it and collide with the rubber...therefore creating almost a flipper hit backwards? They do look short and thicker now...I will swap them out with the taller skinnier ones I have. Thanks for the input!

17FD565A-ED61-44D5-BCC3-8BA04A50EE2A (resized).jpeg17FD565A-ED61-44D5-BCC3-8BA04A50EE2A (resized).jpeg
#7232 3 years ago

Ok so I changed out the post rubbers and put the proper size on. What a pain to get at. I also swapped to the Davi deflector which has a slightly smaller footprint.

Played a few rounds and I still get Airballs albeit not quite as bad as before. Anything else I can do to minimize them let me know. Thanks!

C3F0AAB6-DBA2-4656-8D02-10D8D30D80AF (resized).jpegC3F0AAB6-DBA2-4656-8D02-10D8D30D80AF (resized).jpeg
#7236 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What is the PF pitch?

#7237 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Is the peak of arrow insert lowered or raised? Or what is that in the clearcoat?[quoted image]

As with many of the IJ machines over time, my inserts have raised up a bit...combine that with the mylar overlay in that part of the playfield makes it look like that over the arrow.

I actually just did some more testing and with the proper rubber posts and now the air balls are far less frequent...so I think I can put this issue to bed. I can't believe I never noticed the rubber posts were different heights than the others until it was mentioned here. Thanks schwarz !

#7238 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Just got an IJPA and learning the machine. I noticed ball not getting to right side of pathway to adventure when it first enters. Friend suggested I check level and I did notice it was off. So, I leveled. Now the opposite is happening. I can't seem to get a happy balance. Another friend said to adjust the set screw. Any strategy I should use? Thanks.

Show a pic and I'm sure the group will be able to chime in on what looks off.

#7240 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Mine can go to the right side first switch, but I can’t keep it to the right. If I hold the right flipper it hits that first switch and the rolls into the first hole in the middle. So I have a hard time getting that upper right light off. Sort of piggybacking your help request, possible to adjust/level the POA playfield independent of the entire playfield?

Yes, you can adjust it and level it. Perform the mini PF test and see where it lines up in the middle. Then adjust and tighten until it is level like you want it.

It takes quite a bit of adjusting to get it absolutely dead center where the ball will drop and sit still, and to the point where you can hold left and stays left, and vice versa on the right. Alternatively you can get it "close enough" and then start left and slingshot it to the right to hit the second switch on the way down. I prefer the slingshot method, as it gives me more control the entire way down and slows everything down a bit.

#7242 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Think I need to adjust my POA - mine is definitely not that easy

It never stays perfect for very long, with the rotations over and over it needs to be tightened every so often. This is why I often use the slingshot method as to not rely on consistent perfect balance.

Before being able to have the POA in the perfect spot and tightened in place, the metal pathway to the left of the POA needs to be perfectly in line, as does the rope bridge (and its pitch), not to mention the two tabs on the rope bridge should be dialed in too. Oh and I can't forget the dam ball stopper, if that is too far forward the ball may get caught up there and skip the POA entirely. Without everything in line, the perfect spot for the POA won't work because you need to be sure that when it rotates it does not make any contact with either or both the left ramp and the metal pathway on the far left of the playfield. Having the POA too far back will also cause rubbing. I'm talking 1-2mm adjustments here and there.

It's really not as bad as it sounds, after about the 3rd time of taking everything off and putting it back on, it has become more routine and I can do it pretty fast if needed on the fly.

#7243 3 years ago

How about a poll?

Name a gameplay feature of IJ that you are very good at, AND also name one you are not very good at.

The Good: I am pretty solid on the video modes, completing the mine cart 8/10 times, getting the extra ball 8/10 times at the bar.

The Bad: I am weak when it comes to getting I-N-D-Y lit as I'm not as good moving the selections left as I am going right...as a result I go right most of the time. If I could do both directions equally, my score would improve.

#7259 3 years ago

Interesting on the good and bad poll re: the captive ball. For me, that's a money shot, I can hit it much easier than I can hit that dam right ramp consistently.

For those of you who get the drains down the middle after hitting the single drop target, it was mentioned by someone in the last page or two about having the machine slightly tilted right to reduce this. I accidentally stumbled upon this when moving my machine around and didn't realize it wasn't perfectly level, but I did notice that I was seeing less of those middle drains all of a sudden, so it really does make a difference on that shot. Even the smallest little bit to the right will be enough to have the ball come down to the right flipper edge from that drop target shot instead of drain right down the middle, but not be large enough to notice during gameplay.

#7261 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I can't stand having my games not perfectly level. This would drive me nuts.
The one on location near me has as rubber that's slightly bigger than normal I think, so when it rolls down, it tips off to the left. Makes the jackpot ramp a little harder to hit, but it's better than the infuriating drain.

I hear you, I adjusted mine back afterwards, but have experimented with it to try and figure out how much it would need to be at a minimum but haven't completed the testing yet. Double-edged sword situation unfortunately.

#7326 3 years ago

Sigh, gotta love Saturday evening and I find issues with IJ. Looking for some guidance...I am seeing that the Start button is somehow being triggered during the gameplay (no I am not accidentally pushing it) adding 2p, 3p, and 4p game modes at seemingly random times. I only notice it right after a mode completes...perhaps it has to do with the trough? No errors on startup, and I literally did nothing new today to service the machine, so I am at a loss.

It's not the microswitch as the game doesn't start for no reason, only added credits are happening after a game is starting. On page 2-46 of the manual I see the start button there, should I follow the wire to the points horizontally, vertically or both to see if there is loose wire?

#7328 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

I had something similar happen in the past. It wasn't a problem with the switch - it was a short elsewhere on that circuit. Pull the glass off, start a game, and hit playfield switches until it adds another player. (Or you could just use the switch edge test, like a normal human.)
It's just like those multi-switch triggering problems that happen when your contacts get bashed together on the lower right switch under the POA, above the mode hole.

Found it. The switch above "Special" is triggering it. I'll lift up the playfield and inspect it, thank you!

#7331 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Had this same problem. Was a short, broken connection under the POA next to the mode hole. Ball must have hit it. However, we made a metal bracket cover to prevent future air balls hitting it.

Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Make sure you take an extra close look at that POA switch. This is an ancient IJ legend passed down through generations.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/automatically-adding-new-players-while-playing#post-2279595-parent

You were both right, it is that dam switch under the POA. Second time I've had issues, last time it was a different side effect. I have the Cliffy (Ricochet's original design) I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Maybe I'll stop procrastinating now...or wait until the 3rd time I have issues with it to finally act

#7345 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

When I first installed my mode hole Cliffy, my stick rate actually went UP. Not much, but it was noticable.

This was my exact experience with the Cliffy as well.

While waiting for the "Antidote", I (and a few others) have had solid interim success with a pad stuck right underneath the plastic in front of the mode start hole.

#7347 3 years ago
Quoted from JDelzer:

Cool. Can you provide a pic of this or explain a bit more what you mean? I too am poisoned, and am patiently awaiting for a richochet of the antidote.
Side note...if Indy wouldn't have obtained/drank the antidote, we would have never had to have the displeasure of meeting the annoying short round... just saying.

Here is mine, you will need to find the right spot on your machine as they are all different. I drilled out the holes on the deflector and shifted it back a few millimeters and lifted it with some thin washers. I then adhere the pad towards the front under the plastic. I get 90%+ success with this fix, but the pad does fall off over time. I was lucky this past time, as the pad is perfectly positioned that it hasn’t fallen off after more than 500 games, and is still on there tight.

2B68EFED-3E48-4FDA-B860-456240B4FDD2 (resized).jpeg2B68EFED-3E48-4FDA-B860-456240B4FDD2 (resized).jpegA0861691-3DD2-40C0-BDBD-682439C52A1C (resized).jpegA0861691-3DD2-40C0-BDBD-682439C52A1C (resized).jpeg

#7349 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Here is mine, factory setup, and Cliffy (the carbon style, not the metal).
Special features:
-able to maximize the success rate around 10% (we can name it "sucks as rate"
-built in mini pf microswitch destroyer
So the new mod by Ricochet is a must have, not the Color DMD [quoted image]

Not debating that at all, I'm on the list and was a beta tester. The Antidote is a must...

...the color DMD too...

#7361 3 years ago
Quoted from eb94114:

I am having a strange issue with the Hurry Up shot. When it gets triggered by something like Hand of Fate, the machine goes into Hurry Up mode with the proper music and call out; however, it seems to register a few seconds later with the "Great Shot!" callout and stops, as if I made the shot, even when I have not made it. Any thoughts on what is going on there or what I can do to diagnose and fix it?
Thanks so much.

I've got to start with the obvious...any chance you are hitting the red target next to the ball lock hole? That will give you credit for the Dog Fight too.

I assume you have no errors registering? If not, I would check what is happening with the wiring for that red target.

#7397 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Wow this looks great! I was thinking about going LCD on mine but this may have just convinced me to do LED.

The eternal debate rages on...we will never truly know which one is the better decision.

I promise you two things, 1) whichever one you get you will like a lot, and 2) whichever one you get you will second guess that decision a bit a few times afterwards based on the comments posted here.

#7416 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Just out of curiosity, what is everybody doing in their rubber scenario above the narrow escape gate? Currently I have two 3/16 ID rings (or at least I think that's the size) on each but every now and again I see them with this setup, which I'm assuming is a 3/4 I.D. Picture pulled from the High End Pins photo archive. Thoughts?
[quoted image]

Mine matches the picture, 1 rubber. I read earlier in this thread from a few posters with good knowledge that this is the proper setup.

#7421 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Anyone have this issue?
So when ball enters POA, it always goes to the left, I CANNOT hit the top right switch at all.
I'll have to take a Picture of my POA to show you how it has a slight tilt to the left (the POA playfield)
Is having a tilt normal, or should it be level?
If it needs to be level, HOW DO YOU LEVEL IT?
tHANKS

Pics please...could be multiple issues. (bad dual opto board, misaligned mini PF, metal posts bent in the wrong direction, etc.)

#7434 3 years ago

So I was watching the opening of the 3rd installment of the series the other night (for like the 100th time haha), and I was thinking that the opening scene with the John Williams track "Indy's Very First Adventure" should have been one of the 4 modes from this movie. I think it would have been a small upgrade over "The Three Challenges"...given the three challenges and "choose wisely" are kind of related in the storyline.

So instead of: Castle Grunewald, Tank Chase, The Three Challenges, Choose Wisely

It would have been cool to have: Make off with the Cross, Castle Grunewald, Tank Chase, Choose Wisely

Any other owners that would change one of the mode back stories if given the hypothetical opportunity?

#7436 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

I support your "Make Out With the Cross" idea, even though that may be slightly blasphemous.
As far as other Last Crusade modes, it would have been nice to see a catacombs of Venice mode, or even incorporating the Venice boat chase and the huge boat-chopping propeller.

“Make off” not Make out haha. I would have said escape or steal but those verbs are already used

#7441 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’ve been getting back into indy big time. Love it.
If any of you haven’t seen the announcement about official Williams code updates coming out, check out the thread. It seems the updates are mostly bug fixes. It would be good for us owners to compile a list of bugs to squash and send it to the coder.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades

This is pretty neat. Not sure about others, but I feel like the Indy code is pretty tight already. There already is a code fix to give you your ball back if you hit an outlane right after a drop target. Ricochet’s fix with the metal guide eliminates the free narrow escape bonus. I can’t think of any other bugs, part of the reason IJ is such a great pin.

The newer pins seem to have a lot more software bugs and code glitches than IJ. My Ghostbusters, even after a software update a year ago, still has more than a dozen documented unfixed bugs to date.

#7446 3 years ago

Ok, first step, take a video of the Mini PF test in the test mode (#15).

Your PF may be too far back, it may need to be shifted towards to the player a bit...try and ensure it sits as far forward as possible without hitting the metal ramp in front of it. Probably won't help the left to right problem, but it will help with other issues which may not be visible at this point.

It appears that your mini PF is misaligned on the mounting bar, but I don't know for sure until we can see the mini PF test running and how it settles.

Edit: You also appear to have a washer behind the rope bridge. This may or may not be ok, and is definitely not stock, so I would remove that as well to ensure your starting is point is the stock setup.

#7451 3 years ago

Maybe pop in a new POA opto board while you have it apart. The new ones are faster responding to me it seems.

I plan on doing this when I install Lao’s Antidote, only as a preventative measure as my original will fail eventually.

#7457 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Okay, I'll do that....How do you know I have a washer behind POA?
Here's the video while it's off

That video doesn't help...you need to have it on and go into the test menu and run the Mini PF test (#15 I believe). Let's see that run, and also shift it left and right in the video (in test mode - not manually with your hands). Again, odds are it is not mounted in the center (causing a tilt to one side) and is also sitting too far back.

I see the washer in the images you posted, it is quite large.

#7469 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

That's just lighting ... its got some dark grey low-lights in the finish. It doesn't photograph well... especially with a flash as it is coated with a clear finish so the facets of the handle cause some pretty severe deflections making it look darker.
This is the best pic (stole from the topic gallery) that I could find that has natural light.
[quoted image]

I've got a NOS one in storage and it matches this description, it is dark grey with a clear finish.

#7476 3 years ago

Robertstone0407 does a fantastic Indy gun, I plan on sending my worn one (looks like AaronZOOM 's pistol) in the coming months to get the two tone look.

If you really want it to look authentic, you could bury it in the backyard for a few days before installing.

#7480 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Ok everyone, if you could only pick 1 upgrade to do on IJ, which of these 2 would you pick?
1. Color DMD
2. PinSound package

Is money an object or is it just taste I am evaluating?
When you say PinSound package...this includes the full package (with shaker, speakers, headphone station)?

Doesn't matter, can't decide. Just get both...and add yourself to the KornFreak28 planes list.

#7483 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

I'm already on the list for kornfreak28 's planes, super excited!
If you could only afford 1 of the two options, which would you go with? Just hypothetical...

Then I will agree with Davi

#7493 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Here's the Test Let me know if this is normal or If I have to adjust something thx

Would have liked to see you manually shift the POA right and left in test mode, but I think I've seen enough. It's mounted too far back and it's tilted left too much.

Loosen the small bolt (Allen key hole) behind the POA, slide it towards the front a bit, and then tilt it right and re-tighten.

Re-run the test, and then manually test with the flipper buttons in test mode. Ensure it aligns in the middle.

1 week later
#7526 3 years ago

Hey Guys! As I'm still a relatively novice IJ owner, I'm still learning the rule set. Any pros out there able to answer the two questions below on gameplay?

1 - Where are all the extra balls hidden? Which ones am I missing?

I have personally only lit the "extra ball" light in the following ways

- Hand of Fate when lite ex ball appears as an option
- 8x bonus is triggered
- Complete Survive the Rope Bridge mode

Shoot again was triggered in the following ways.

- Hidden ball found in Raven's bar
- Extra ball(s) from the POA hole drop

2 - Is there a maximum number of extra balls you can have? I swore the other day I had earned 3 extra balls but I only received 2. I may not have been paying attention though and forgot I lost a ball.

#7551 3 years ago
Quoted from JB30:

Been having trouble getting sunk balls kicked up to the idol. The game can cycle through the missing ball sequence (multiple times) and the ball still won't be kicked up. I can hear the popper activate on the sequence, so I assume the ball is just getting hung up down there. I can usually get it to kick up with a little love tap (or 3).
Ya'll think the part is worn, dirty, or is it more likely I have some sort of bogey caught in there?

Clean or replace the opto sensor in there. I had a similar issue, replaced my sensor and the problem was fixed.

#7562 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

So those of u with the PinSound shaker. Did u customize the shaking or did you use something from the PinSound website? Just wondering how much work it is to fine tune the shaker.

Apparently to change the shaking you need to start all over and change them all. Changing one is not possible...so I just alternate between the 4 customized programs available on their site.

2 weeks later
#7631 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Took my mini playfield off for the first time and it was quite easy, and glad I did it so I know how it all works. Cleaned the optos (had some chatter before) and found that the top mounting bracket was only secured on one side (doesn’t make much sense, so fixed that).... a couple of things:
With a flat playfield, Full left deflection on mini playfield is 9.5 degrees, full right is 5.5 degrees, and that’s after I adjusted the arm going through the optos. The issue is the Mini-PF bottoms out on the ramp when going full right deflection. When I started it was 10/4 degrees, so it’s better. The issue was I couldn’t get a pinball to run down the right side, a little better now (by about 1 degree). Anybody do anything to make that more equal to both sides?
Got a good look at the mode hole. Put some foam tape in it, that didn’t work, couldn’t trigger the switch (I guess. It enough room) and also pulled the scoop down as far as possible before tightening. Should have tested but I’m left with weak shots sit in the hole without hitting the switch and strong shots actually work (they didn’t before). The ball finder kicks the stuck ones out. Can’t wait for the custom scoop. Anyway, going to need to pull mini-pf again to fix this, better to get rejects than a stuck ball. Somebody has definitely bent the scoop before as it is a little bit sideways. Either that or the ball has over all the plays. Has anybody tried bending the scoop back a little bit? Other than this modified custom scoop that’s coming, what are people doing or have people down there of been successful?
Thanks!

Lots of discussion on this topic in this thread, just head back a dozen or so pages to see more info. For me, I drilled out the three mounting holes of the deflector and slid it further back, bent it to 45 degrees and raised it up on washers slightly. This will improve it a bit, but may not be good enough. To get the push to near 100%, I have a small pad adhered under the plastic above the mode hole.

#7644 3 years ago

A lot of the POA leveling issues have to do with gearbox slop, shaft and interupter wear and over-all alignment issues.
Replacing the motor/gearbox, opto interupter, opto board as well as checking and aligning the POA playfield brings it close to factory tolerances.
No extreme measures such as cutting or grinding of parts is actually necessary.
Looseness and excessive travel are due to wear and tear for the most part or improper assembly.

I agree with this statement 100%.

I was having an issue where my POA was rubbing that lite jackpot area but then I simply realized that my POA was not pushed forward enough. If you slide the POA as far forward towards the player as possible you should not have an issue with the POA hitting the metal tabs on the lite jackpot sign. At least I stopped having issues after that...and my POA is aligned nearly perfectly in the center and I maintain good control over the left to right shifts as the ball slides down.

I attached a pic of mine in test mode with the mini PF shifted as far right as possible and it comes close but doesn't touch, as well as a pic with it leveled ready to play.

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpeg

IMG_3705 (resized).jpgIMG_3705 (resized).jpg
#7660 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Ok, my Indy is JUUUUUUUUSSSST about finished. Machine has been cleaned, shopped and restored inside and out. Final details and upgrades left. Planning on getting pinsound, new speakers, and a shaker. Can anyone recommend a shaker that is super easy to install and works well with IJ? (Never installed one before)

Get the pinsound shaker...it works with the pinsound + sound board.

2 weeks later
#7726 3 years ago

I am in the same boat as Ricochet with the sound mix. They are all well done...but a few of the non-original movie callouts I would personally want to take out. I honestly switch between all 4 of the remixes on the community currently, but my favorite one is "Indiana_Jones_MusicCalloutsHD" which is essentially the John Williams OST music with some additional call-outs. My second favorite is the Endprodukt remastered mix.

I had to adjust a few of the settings on each mix...increased the overall volume a click for the music, made a few sound FX's a bit louder since they were too soft for my liking. Not too bad though, these were personal choices that's all.

The shaker settings though...that is the only negative for me. Since editing the shaker effects for 1 particular action is not possible, I am living with the over intensity (and my shaker is set on LOW) on the Right ramp shot and on the pop bumpers...even on low I feel my deck is going to launch into space during those two sequences, so I am excited for Ricochet's custom mix personally.

#7730 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I have now read this entire topic. For new joiners here is a quick summary.
I got an IJPA
Mode saucer, mode saucer? MODE SAUCER!!
Mod? Mod. Mod? Mod. Mod? MOD!!
FOAM!!!
Airballs!
Help? POA diode. Help? POA diode. help!! Tried x, tried y, tried Z HELP! POA diode. Update it was the POA diode
Gold, gold GOLD!!! GOLD!!!!!!
LCD or LED... pin sound!

I laughed out loud, this is great! Now that you have read and seen the full cycle, what team are you on for each topic? You need to tell us so we can all judge you for your choices Oh and welcome to the club, I'm LCD display, Pinsound, LED bulbs and foamless...and I am guilty of the POA diode issue on multiple occasions. Nice to meet you and enjoy the magnificence of this great machine.

#7731 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I’m not sure if where I installed it makes a difference, but my pinsound shaker comes on with fairly low intensity, so the shaker mix by endprodukt doesn’t bother me, I actually don’t mind it on the pops. Do most of them shake like crazy?

My shaker is in the spot directly left of the speaker sub, behind the plank that the ISO sits on. I don't want to speak for Ricochet but I believe his is placed in a different spot. He will have to confirm that though.

#7740 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Oh, man! We are mortal enemies!
I'm LED display, Anti-Pinsound, incandescent bulbs, and foam-solves-all-my-other-problems!

Hahahahaha....son of a....

image-asset (resized).jpegimage-asset (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7797 3 years ago
Quoted from Nomanimdave:

What is the highest bonus score anyone has gotten for a single mode? I recently got 148 million on the Well of Souls. Only time I’ve ever gotten more than 100 million on a single mode. I know a lot of modes max out at a set number, after a set amount of time, or after completing the mode, but this one keeps going as long as you have at least two balls alive.

Wow! most I've gotten was maybe high 80s on Well of Souls. It felt like an eternity...

2 months later
#7948 3 years ago

Nice try Lao Che!!

I have taken the antidote and I’m happy to report that it has cured the disease that is the mode start hole.

Thanks to Ricochet for his countless hours of designing, prototyping, and testing. This is the most complex simple idea ever made for this machine...

This design is pretty incredible, and pure genius. I've only played a few rounds but am shooting with a 90-95%+ stick rate. Had a few hard shots off the right flipper stick easily. Had a "slower" shot kind of get sucked into it and it held in place. The slower shots feel like they are being suctioned in...I like it. The design also allows for a modified eject where the chances of a cheap SDTM drain seem like they have been drastically reduced. Ricochet can field all questions, I'm just a happy tester. It's hard to tell in the pics but the piece of metal that appears to be the deflector is actually not a deflector at all, as it is fluid (can move up and down), to the point where when the ball strikes it, it opens up, and then closes to almost hold the ball in.

This is a winner and should be on every IJ Williams out there.
image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#8020 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I am looking for a traslight for IJ please let me know if anyone has one for sale thanks

If I may...although it is much more expensive, the mirrored backglass just looks incredible. Pictures don't do it justice.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/indyglass/

It looks like it is currently sold out though...

#8024 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Also looking for a manual for IJ if anyone has a spare ,thanks

ebay.com link: itm

2 weeks later
#8087 2 years ago
Quoted from Turtlemaster:

Hi guys.
Watching ricochet’s photo, I was wondering if you all have this ball guide on your IJ ?
I don’t have it and a friend of mine doesn’t have it either.
Is it useful ? Where can I buy one ?[quoted image]

It was probably removed when routed to make the game harder.

#8100 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Damn. I want to do that but I’m paranoid those will come crashing down on my $400 PDI glass

I was afraid of that too...I used museum gel to hold them and I actually mounted the stone from inside the backbox because of how heavy it is. You can see my topper here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/131#post-5835726

1 week later
#8166 2 years ago

Hello everybody! I’m looking for an original Williams coin box for my Indy. I realize I have gathered all of the original paperwork and extra plastics so I wanted to complete it with the coin box. Thanks!

#8168 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Were the original coin boxes metal or plastic ? I just bought a replacement from pinballlife... not sure how faithful it is to the original box.

Ha, I have no clue. It's your fault I'm even looking...I was perusing your restoration photos and saw all the paperwork neatly in the baggies with the cardboard standee and stuff (which I have), and it made me think what else am I missing and the coin box came to mind.

#8172 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Ha! That extra stuff was the very first stuff I acquired... before I even got into the resto. I wasn’t too hung up on an original coin box because I figured a new one was better than nothing or some mangy original. But if I had a nice original I would have kept it.

Yeah I saw the tray...but shouldn't there be a top piece too?

#8213 2 years ago

Just installed Ricochet "Narrow Escape" fix.
Remove the 2 screws holding the plastic on.
Tape it down
[quoted image]
Measure 1" Drill 1/16" hole thru the hole on the upper foot, and put in the top screw
[quoted image]
Sttaighten it up a bit and match the other flatrail above.
[quoted image]
Install the lower screw.
[quoted image]
Put plastic back on and enjoy your work!
[quoted image]
This really should have been put on at the factory.
Nice job and a perfect factofy look!
No more false narrow escape awards!
Thank you so much Ricochet !
It was a 5 min install.

Nice summary of this mod! This should be a key post...

Ricochet - I think you have more than earned your way into your own Indy thread that we all would subscribe to, just like KornFreak28

2 weeks later
#8317 2 years ago

My armor actually is the same color as Ricochet which is a black with a gold flake by Robertstone0407 and I have zero regrets. I felt the original brass didn’t tie in the look of the artwork as well as the black but I understand both sides on this debate.

68F62D6A-0439-4F97-BDF1-A3449A788A13 (resized).jpeg68F62D6A-0439-4F97-BDF1-A3449A788A13 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#8404 2 years ago

I was having this issue when I first got mine. First step on the POA is to ensure it is placed as far down (closer to the shooter) as possible. If positioned too high up towards the back, it will scrape the ramp on the right when tilting and not be able to shift fully, among other things.

2 weeks later
#8557 2 years ago

Hello Everyone! Just a quick theoretical question here as the batteries in my IJ will die eventually.

If I were to change the batteries on the PCB while the machine is on, I am hoping that my scores and settings will remain intact since the game is on and is not drawing any power from said batteries while running? I know from personal experience that this trick worked on an arcade PCB that utilized the batteries for diagnostics and other data.

I am aware there are other options out there like NVRAM that would eliminate the need for batteries, but its really no big deal. I change two AA batteries every few years. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the battery swap with the game on and if it worked.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

#8567 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yup it will work.

Perfect, that's what I was hoping.

Does everyone follow the 2 year rule? I was hoping to go longer, I'm using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries with an expiration date in 2038.

#8573 2 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

I have been using Lithium AA batteries in my pins for many years now. The ones in my STTNG are still going strong after 4 years. Very low risk for any leak issues, but I check them a few times a year.

Quoted from Ricochet:

I run lithium cells as well… and if you must use Alkalines … DO NOT USE DURACELL!!! They are sh*t… and will almost always leak !!!

Quoted from Manny65:

Yes I was doing similar to yourself swapping out alkaline batteries every couple of years but have recently switched to Lithium batteries. Most of my machines have remote battery holders, so I'm comfortable staying with AA batteries and the lithium batteries will give a longer life and are more unlikely to leak (compared to an alkaline battery).

Thank you guys for your responses. Makes me feel better. Aside from the leaking (or lack thereof with Lithiums), how long until they run out of power doing what they are doing on a daily basis?

#8578 2 years ago

So for only the second time, I first activated the Lost Treasure multi-ball, then started the "Steal the Stones" mode, followed by sending both balls up the Path of Adventure in succession. Both were released on the mini-PF and it was a blast trying to slow them down to hit as many switches as possible.

I love this game!

#8585 2 years ago

So when you start Lost Treasure multiball with the Steal before Steal the Stones then hit the mode, the balls lock 1 by one on the POA gate?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, what happened was I had the two-ball multiball going and locked one of them in the mode hole for Steal the Stones. The interesting part was that I happened to send both balls in immediate succession up the POA and both balls rested at the POA gate. Upon release, both fell at the same time and I was maneuvering two balls down the mini PF.

#8603 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

Who makes the best quality apron decals for Indiana Jones?

ford-51-1260x856 (resized).jpgford-51-1260x856 (resized).jpg
#8643 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I can remove and install the antidote in about 5 minutes.

I’m at about 10-15 minutes but I take my time.

To everyone concerned about the POA- Take pics of how it’s all lined up before undoing it, it will help when referring back but honestly it is not complex as stated above. It literally slides on one way only, just bring it as far forward towards the player as possible without rubbing and tighten that screw nice and straight. Adjust the little tabs on the metal ramp if needed.

Edit- seeing the video, looking good Jim! Glad to put a face with the name.

#8645 2 years ago

Nice video. I can actually take mine off without removing the bridge. Damn you should be down to 3 minutes without that

What kind of sorcery is this?

Let’s see a video!!!

#8647 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Loosen the hex screw… pop off the c-clip on the pivot bracket.
It can be done … I got in the habit of taking everything off because I was developing the antidote and needed to open up as much room as possible when measuring / debugging. Also to be able to push it forward I needed to remove the side ramp.

I want to see a split screen live stream on Twitch. Ricochet vs any challenger who thinks they can beat him in a disassembly, lift antidote in and out, and reassembly. Winner gets their antidote for free!

#8649 2 years ago

Here’s the key to success (and not sure if this is stock btw) - my POA has just enough gap to turn the set screw. My Sorcery has been revealed and now you will turn into a cat
[quoted image]

I'll have to look next time if mine is aligned like that. I also didn't have a long enough hex tool the last time I pulled off the POA, but now I do.

Thanks for the pic!

1 month later
#8934 2 years ago

I find Indy has to be perfect. Centered of course before adjusting POA or you’ll be doing it again. I also find 6.5 on the money for several reasons. For me, The POA drop skips if it’s lower than 6.5. The outer orbit hits the slings if too low as well, shot needs some speed. 7.0 affects your ability to hit the big ramp. At 6.5, POA drops work great, Outer orbit can be hit multiple times in a row, and ramp is doable

This is a good post. The only thing I would add is that there are so many factors at play that once you find a spot for the machine, you will need to tune it everywhere. Once leveled and at the pitch you are comfortable with, you may need to adjust your POA, and especially your outer orbit guides to get the machine fully tuned in. Then if you move the machine, just re-level it and remember the pitch you like and you shouldn't have to touch the POA and orbit guides again.

#8936 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

What do you mean by centered?
Do you mean levelled?

Yes, I adjusted the post.

#8946 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I just want to know what the models are so I can buy them, build them and paint them. I did not think it was appropriate to ask in the actual mod thread.
I just want to build the planes for myself and paint them myself and feel good about it.

Probably not appropriate to make a posting about it anywhere, just my two cents. KornFreak is buying multiple material inputs, then providing a transformative service creating additional value, to come to his final product. You asking that in this forum is (in an extreme example) is like going into Coca Cola HQ and asking what syrup they use so you can make your own Cola at home. I imagine they wouldn't be rushing to provide that info to you.

#8997 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

This thread is gigantic and could use some "key posts" management... not sure who can do that.

I couldn't agree more. I feel like the other owners' threads I check are newer and are therefore more organized in this fashion. So much so that if someone asks a question that is clearly in the key post listing a reference to the key post is provided instead of rehashing the same topic.

2 weeks later
#9061 2 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Need some help! I am getting two balls launched at a time into the shooter lane from time to time. Also the game seems to end while a ball is still in play. Is this an issue with opto board in the ball trough or something else. Can't seem to resolve the problem. Thanks

Same happened to me, new opto boards will fix the problem.

4 months later
#9431 2 years ago

Hello everyone! I jumped the gun (pun intended) on buying one of these complete gun assemblies for my IJ just before formally deciding to have Robert Stone powdercoat my original. I still have this one brand new replacement if anyone is interested to get one with a discount, send me a PM

https://www.pinballlife.com/indiana-jonesdirty-harry-gun-handle-assembly.html

66656081977__D99A1070-A81F-4938-864A-CC0728362058 (resized).jpg66656081977__D99A1070-A81F-4938-864A-CC0728362058 (resized).jpg
#9438 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Hello everyone! I jumped the gun (pun intended) on buying one of these complete gun assemblies for my IJ just before formally deciding to have Robert Stone powdercoat my original. I still have this one brand new replacement if anyone is interested to get one with a discount, send me a PM
https://www.pinballlife.com/indiana-jonesdirty-harry-gun-handle-assembly.html[quoted image]

This is now sold, thank you for all the interest!

2 weeks later
#9506 2 years ago
Quoted from Days:

Drop targets on my Indy....
It's already the second i broke. There is some "better quality targets" ? If i print in some 3D material can make it stronger?
Drop targets are cheap, but is always annoying to go under the playfield and replace them
[quoted image]
(Not my photo )

These are extremely durable and are described as "Indestructible". They are on the spooky games and are the ones I have on Rick and Morty. The targets take a huge beating and seem to hold up very well. Only problem is they are only available in frosted. Perhaps you can light them up from underneath the PF to add a new visual element to the targets.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0021-00-71

1 month later
#9642 2 years ago

Hello IJ owners! I can't figure out what this rubber part # is so I can order it from Marco's. One of my flippers is showing a slight bit of reverb and I'm thinking the rubber stopper doesn't have any softness left in it after all of these years.

It is the part labeled 17 in the attached image. Thanks!
Screenshot (4) (resized).pngScreenshot (4) (resized).png

#9645 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It's as per the previous page of the manual, Bumper Plug 5/8" 23-6577
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-rubber-bumper-pluggrommet.html
https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=23-6577
Marco indicates that 38-6577 replaces 23-6577, however other sites (eg Action) state the 23-6577 actually replaced 38-6577 that was used in SS games. Anyway Marco doesn't have any in stock.

Doh! I only looked forward once I saw the picture, thanks for the link!

tighten the return spring by 2 or 3 loops to stop the flipper from bouncing.

Interesting...will try this. I imagine it may decrease power slightly though.

#9647 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Can anyone help me out on where this bracket goes? I took everything out to clean and I completely lost track of where this specific piece goes.
[quoted image]

6AF1212C-8D48-40EE-8F53-6645F7256330 (resized).jpeg6AF1212C-8D48-40EE-8F53-6645F7256330 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9690 1 year ago

Better scores are achieved thru the correct amount of weed.
Too much and the scores go down.
Too little and the scores go down.
Just right? you can do amazing things! (though you might not care or remember them...)
I ruled the universe for the first time on my AFMrLE after 3 bong rips.... (yo!)
Balance is the key...

Fixed that for you so I can better relate.

1 month later
#9751 1 year ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Pretty slick price, despite the cab fade. Welcome to the club!
Now brace yourself for the thousands of dollars of totally worth it mods and upgrades. Lots of quality stuff out there!
**cough** Who put this here?
[quoted image]

I use these...they are fantastic.

2 months later
#9832 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

As the creator of this sound file, Yes this is the one I highly recommend many people use. I tried the Endproduk and while it was pretty darn good it has some major flaws in simply the sound spiking up when it shouldn't and some sounds even going off at the same time. In particular when you would lock a ball, and the machine says great shot for the plane exploding sequence those sounds where overlapping on one another making it impossible to hear what was going on. With the sound package I created I fixed all those glitches so now it will say great shot and then moments later locked ball.
The sound spiking up was super annoying, I was constantly fiddling with the volume knob when it got super loud and then back to regular sounds. I went through every single sound file and raised and lowered the sounds accordingly. If it was a background sound I never let some chords in the sound spike way too loud. If it was a callout, or important event I raised the volume so you would clearly hear it over the background music. Previously before I touched it these sounds where on the same level and it was harder to hear them out.
I did add/remove a few other sound bytes when you complete the characters, previously some sound bytes where just from the movie and it didn't make sense for me since the character you unlocked wasn't from the sound byte you where hearing. Now everytime you unlock that character your guaranteed to hear a sound byte from that person's mouth. It's definitely a few more than the original and I think I pulled some sound bytes from other packages. I didn't go to crazy with this but it's atleast no longer just 1 sound file per character like it was on the original. It will cycle between 3 or 4 for each character.
I really hope the community enjoys the sound package I put together; as mentioned I don't take credit for creating the actual sounds but simply refining what someone else did. This is why I called the. Jedi's re-master of Endproduk's remaster.

Cool, I'll try it. I have 4 mixes on mine now, does anyone know if there is a maximum number of mixes I can have on here? Is 5 too many?

FYI - on your mix, there was one sound fx item that couldn't be extracted for me due to the long title...it was Connery saying "sorry about your head though". Not a big deal, just letting you know.

#9834 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you mean Couldn’t be extracted? Would that part be silent?

It's a zip file, so when I extracted it I got a prompt that said the filename was too long for that one particular sound bite and it wouldn't let me rename it myself. So it just didn't get extracted. Yes, I imagine that part will be silent unless I assign another sound file to it but I don't want to mess with it...the UI/UX is not the easiest for an amateur to work with.

#9841 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

I didn't create the additional characters numbers and folder on the root of the folder. I think Pinsound does this to ensure files uploaded to their site are not the same. Feel free to pull and copy the subfolder named "Jedi_Re_Remaster of Endproduk" to the root of the Jump Drive. You don't need that other folder with a long name file. I think this is what is causing some peoples computers not to be able to process the longer file. Thanks.
[quoted image]

I shortened the name of the zip file and it did not give me the error message this time so perhaps the file is now there. Will reinstall and test it out! Does anyone know if 5 sound mixes is too many? I can't keep track which one is which anymore

#9843 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

5 Mixes should be fine.
P.S. I also just now uploaded the same file again and removed the folder within a folder as well as shortened the super long files. The mods on Pinsound will still need to approve the file to go live so stay tuned to see the updated file go live. I'll report back once I see it. But you should be good if you downloaded the old file as long as you remove the folder within a folder. Sorry about that, I didn't initially know how to upload a file to this site as I was new and it seems the mod added that other folder without my knowledge.
Check it out and I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

Thanks! really sorry one more dumb question, I can't find the manual it's been 2 years since I updated this USB drive. How do I install the new sound mix? I put it in the audio folder but it won't appear in the menu. I assume I need to maybe drop it in the root drive?

#9845 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks for asking all the questions I need answers to.

Doh we aren't supposed to unzip it!

#9849 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

5 Mixes should be fine.
P.S. I also just now uploaded the same file again and removed the folder within a folder as well as shortened the super long files. The mods on Pinsound will still need to approve the file to go live so stay tuned to see the updated file go live. I'll report back once I see it. But you should be good if you downloaded the old file as long as you remove the folder within a folder. Sorry about that, I didn't initially know how to upload a file to this site as I was new and it seems the mod added that other folder without my knowledge.
Check it out and I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

I played a few games on it, sounds nice. The volumes are better, more consistent. If I have ONE minor complaint (maybe it is personal preference), the ball lock sounds are a bit underwhelming. It almost sounds as if it goes quiet immediately on the ball lock, a bit too quiet. To me that is a big moment when you lock a ball, and I'm used to being overwhelmed (or regular whelmed) by that action.

#9852 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

The reason it may seem like this is because it's an entirely aftermarket sound. So it may seem a bit out of place but when this happens you'll notice that none of the theme music is too loud. I'll take a look at it again and bump it up if it's not up to par. FYI.. I used audacity to modify the sound and just so you know the sound loudness was calibrated via the wave it created. It wasn't via my personal thought on it. I simply raised and lowered all notifications peak to a max sound level. The truth is the original machine actually didn't have this sound byte at all when it locked. It was just a visual notification on the DMD screen so getting this audio queue is definitely a treat, which is why I left it in.

It's great, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it, and yes it would be great if you bumped that track up on your next release. I don't know how to use this particular software (clearly by my previous questions) I'm just here for the pinball and a great soundtrack.

#9856 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you mean by goes quiet?

He changed the volume settings on each sound fx, theme, soundtrack and when I lock a ball while using this remix, the music goes down very low and there is not much sound for the first 2 or 3 seconds. I guess it's not something noticeable until the volume on the music is down. On many of the other mixes when you lock a ball it feels louder and more dynamic from a sound perspective. I think that is what happened...Jedi would know better though I assume.

1 week later
#9864 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

So I looked into this issue and here lies the problem. The IJ machine was never meant to play 2 sound files at the same time for this locked ball action. It plays the regular sound in the original machine and a locked ball sound clip. This package actually is a dynamic one where it switches around a few ball lock sounds and even properly announces multiball on the 3rd lock. When I first downloaded the Endproduct version, the most obvious thing that was broken was that the music and ball locked went off at the same time, making it seem like it was broken. This glitch is actually what motivated me to try to fix this problem in the first place. I then also noticed the other sounds where either too high in points or too low and it just wasn't standard across the board.
I have now normalized all music sounds to a certain decible and all callouts are a bit louder, again at a certain decible range. I managed to finally find a fix for this lock ball and music playing at the same time but tricking the machine into playing both sound still but the callout I added empty space in the beginning of the sound, so that way the music can play without being overshadowed and once the music is about to end it says "Ball locked" or "multiball" unfortunately the machine wasn't built to handle this and what it does is lower the music volume a bit in the beginning to make room for the empty sound and then correctly plays both files one after another.
I'll try to play with it, to see if I can raise the volume when it's quiet and then when it normalizes to go back to normal but I can't promise to see if it's even possible. It may default to a low volume setting and I can't raise it no matter what I select. This may be just a limitation of the software/hardware. The reason other packages make this sound louder is because they don't have a ball locked sound, and only one sound file plays. Please keep that in mind. I think what I created is a good compromise.

Thanks for your time and effort on this! I'm sure many are appreciative of the work. I tried it again and it was a little better but yes, there is still a drop in sound for the first 1-2 full seconds. So far this is the only complaint I've had with the remix, and based on your description it sounds like I just need to get used to it. I'm sure I will over time.

Just a note to those trying to install it, I had a problem with the 7z file, the pinsound board didn't recognize the file so I extracted it then re-zipped it as a .zip. I also ensured there were no extra subfolders as a result. Then it worked just fine.

#9866 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

My apologies, you are correct I used 7zip instead of a regular zip. I have updated the shared file and changed it to a regular .zip to avoid any confusion. Here it is again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sngvyyivjaoaod0/Jedi_Re_Remaster%20of%20Endproduk.zip?dl=0

Hey just a little more debugging if you don't mind. The music on the Three Challenges is so soft I can barely hear it. I imagine that was not intentional.

On the ball lock...would you consider not lowering the music on just that one event? I feel it really needs to be loud and stay loud the instant that ball locks.

I really like the other little features you have done.

2 months later
#10021 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Anyone replaced there single drop mech with the one from Marco? I did a couple years ago and it has worked great until now. Now during startup it is making this horrible noise like it can pop back up. I’m wondering if I need to tighten the spring for the return or maybe it’s something else? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I haven't heard that, but I suggest you first compare the mech to the 3 bank drop target mech from under the PF to see if there are any obvious differences. Check over the bottom of the machine for a random screw or broken piece of sorts.

If nothing obvious, it may be best to remove it and service it, and with that you will probably find the issue.

1 month later
#10118 1 year ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Interesting. It looks like you've replaced all your original boards on your IJ with Rottendog boards. I did the same thing a few years ago a it made a big difference in how my game plays. The new boards changed my game from a sluggish, tired game and brought it back to life big time. Like it was brand new again.
Did you have the same experience?
QSS

I know this wasn't a question for me, but I'll give my opinion. Once I noticed my power driver board had low voltage and needed to be capped, I figured I would go the rottendog route to be extra safe and keep my original board in storage. I was so happy with the result that I replaced all of my PCBs with Rottendog boards in the backbox area (pinsound + for the sound board), and couldn't be happier. I still have all of the originals, and have since capped the OG power driver board, but I would rather use the newer boards back there and put the wear on tear on them instead of the old boards.

3 weeks later
#10163 1 year ago

Hello Indy Owners!

I have a very specific question, I'm hoping that someone who watches this thread is as crazy as I am.

Has anyone hooked up the Jackpot PCB to the LED OCD PCB? I just installed the Jackpot PCB and it works fine, but the on/off transition is not smooth because of the LEDs. I have an LED OCD pcb installed on my Indy and there seems to be open slots on it. I am nervous to try random slots, so I'm wondering if someone else has done this and can give me some guidance. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#10210 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Looking for some advice on 2 issues I've seen with my path of adventure mini playfield after playing a couple games last night. I've seen some other support posts similar to these issues but never could find a clear solution.
Issue 1: Ball will go across the rope bridge, park itself against the post, the post will drop to release it into the mini playfield and about 50% of the time it will just roll on by the drop off and drain out to the left inlane.
Issue 2: When it does drop into the path of adventure and the first target is the first switch on the right, I'll tilt the mini playfield all to the right and when the ball drops down into the mini playfield it doesn't take the right path, it goes left and falls down the first pit.
Both these issues suggest to me that maybe the table is tilted to the left a little too much. I'll need to double check this but I recently just dialed in the table with a leveling app at the bottom of the playfield, 6.5 degree incline with left/right dead center.
Are there rope bridge or mini playfield adjustments I should be doing as well? The metal rope bridge doesn't seem to have a lot of wiggle room to be moved up or down. Another support thread suggested pressing down on it and bending it slightly which doesn't seem great to me.
As far as things brought up in other threads, my post isn't rubbing when it releases. The mini playfield motor set screw is on there tight and the playfield moves smoothly to both left and right extents.

Issue 1 - one of these solutions will work:

First ensure the tab past the post is properly adjusted allowing the ball to drop and hit in the center of the mini PF directly behind the first rubber.

If the first option doesn't fix it, you will need to tilt the rope bridge forward slightly. You can use some washers on the top two bolts behind the tabs holding the bridge to the back there. This will most certainly fix your issue.

Issue 2 - your mini PF or your game is not level. Your mini-PF should be aligned that if you tilt right before the ball drops, it will drop and stay right and go all the way down the right side to the end unless adjusted back left, and vice versa.

Here is my positioning below, it is perfectly level. You want to ensure you have mounted the mini PF as far forward (close to the player) as possible for optimal functionality.

#10215 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Ok after some leveling adjustments I think I've got the ball to release consistently into the mini playfield. I also found my mini playfield was centering slightly to the left so I got that leveled out.
Something I'm running into now though is if I drop and go right I hug the wall, hit the first switch and rebound directly into the first pit. I don't know if that is intended, if I shouldn't go fully right, but it seems like if I tilt all the way right the mini playfield is designed to allow the ball to hug the wall all the way down to the drain. I can see the leveling of the playfield may have some affect on this but even if I hand place the ball at the first switch the ball doesn't have a lot of momentum and it still tends to bang right into the railing of the first pit.
One thing I'll say, pre and post leveling of the mini playfield I still feel like when I tilt it all the way right it doesn't go as far right as it does left. I wonder if it could be an indication of a placement issue of the right extents opto switch on the opto board. When I look back there it is mounted on the board slightly crooked facing downward which I would think would result a premature detection of the metal arm on the shaft when going right.
Another thing I want to throw out there, I don't know if this is normal, while leveling the machine I was taking readings and I was getting different values as I worked my way up from the flippers to the 3 bank ENT drop target. I go from 6.5 at the flippers, to 6.0 at seize the stones, and then almost 5.5 at the 3 bank ENT drop target. Is there a specific place on the playfield I should be going by on the readings? Is this an indication my playfield might be slightly warped?

Based on your comments and lack of pictures, I’m going to quote my previous post. Ensure you have mounted your mini playfield as far forward as possible for optimal functionality. The ball should be hugging one side of your playfield if it is in the proper position.

#10227 1 year ago
Quoted from OtherLebowski:

hi all! I am a happy Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure owner of almost a year now. I installed the PinSound board/sub and it really is awesome but I was wondering if anyone has issues with the sound effects queuing up but the music keeps playing and then after a bit it will catch up? I would say at least once or twice during a play session this will happen. It is kind of annoying and takes away from the game when it happens.

Check your log file and ensure your voltage is in the range for the soundboard (should be really close to 5.0v). If it's too low, recap your power driver board or get a Rottendog replacement. If your voltage is fine, make sure you have the most up to date files and reach out to the pinsound team, they are quite helpful if/when problems arise.

2 weeks later
#10306 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you, but no, I mean the 2 part bracket…
I need 2 sets of these
[quoted image]

I don't believe anyone is offering the Antidote for sale right now. The creator made the designs public IIRC.

2 weeks later
#10404 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I've got down to 4 tunnels remaining multiple times. I'm usually holding down the correct flipper button as it crashes thorough, it must only allow one or two frames on screen before deciding if you are crashing or not. I don't honestly think it is possible to beat without memorizing a pattern.

Something is off here...as I beat this mode approximately 95% of the time. If you have a color DMD, this video mode becomes exponentially easier because you can actually see the direction.

As AaronZOOM stated, start out right on default. 4-3-3 (1st, 2nd, 3rd stage) are all right turns. Then you just need to react timely and you will finish it.

#10405 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Last year I prototyped some air ball reducing targets… they worked pretty well.
I reinforced them with titanium plates.
[quoted image][quoted image]

To add to this, not only does this prototype work, it works extremely well. My coils are standard, but my flipper mechs are OCD clean so the ball flies around my table. Prior to this reinforced target (only installed on the single bank) the ball was flying all over the place, even with the airball protector plastic installed back there. The problem I was having was the ball was being shot back towards the player like a line drive hit...not going UP so the plastic wasn't really helping.

After being lucky enough to prototype this target, I removed the airball protector and have seen the ball stay much lower after striking the target. Airballs are now a thing of the past back there.

Note that I kept my Davi plastic on the 3 bank targets because 1) I have only 1 reinforced target, 2) I have Korn planes, and 3) the airball protector on the three bank targets works extremely well.

#10407 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I do have a color DMD. I'll try the holding of the right button from the start. I don't follow what you mean by 4-3-3.
I have beaten the Raven Bar mode several times, and never have an issue with Following the Grail. If I am showing someone the game for the first time, I actually purposefully get it wrong to see the guys face melt, as I think it is hilarious.

What I mean is the first 4 turns of series 1 are right, the first 3 turns of series 2 are right, and the first 3 turns of series 3 are right. So you really only have to pay attention to the latter half of each series.

Raven bar I can usually take care of, but I do usually commit to going right at the start. If the first villain shows up on the way left, I am generally screwed. It's worth the risk though.

Yes on the following the grail, it is quite easy on standard. I have adjusted the difficulty to make it harder, and while I can still usually get it if I'm not 100% focused I may lose it. I listen for it first, then try to marry the sound to the cup.

4 months later
#10686 9 months ago

Hello IJ Owners!

It's been a while since I've had any issues with this machine but I'm starting to see some odd behavior from my mini PF. I've never had issues with it in the past, so not sure what is causing them now but here is the brief story. Sometimes the PF will get "stuck" in the right tilted position. The problem is intermittent but will usually will occur on startup of the pin. Sometimes the machine flags it as an issue, sometimes it thinks the PF is working fine as it should. When it gets "stuck" I examine it from above and can't see anything in its way at all but admittedly haven't removed it. I have removed it a bunch of times but not in years...it's easy but not something I want to do if I don't have to. The tilt is perfect, I don't want to screw it up.

In any case, what I do when it gets stuck is just manually shift it back to center and it's fine again. In test mode if I constantly go left and right, SOMETIMES (maybe 1 out of every 20 times) it will get stuck or struggle a bit to rotate back left again.

Any idea what is causing this behavior? I assume it has to be either:

1 - Something under the playfield is coming into contact with a component under the PF causing it stop
2 - Does it need lubrication? I've never lubricated anything on it...
3 - My motor is going bad.

I should point out I have already replaced the PCB (preventatively) a year or so ago so I sure hope it's not the PCB.

Any input would be appreciated! If I can avoid removing it and trying to troubleshoot blind that would be awesome. I imagine someone has had this happen to them before. Thank you!

#10688 9 months ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey O
First thing that I would check is to remove the bridge and make sure that the two allen screws are tight and aligned on the shaft.
Wally[quoted image]

Thanks for your response, I'll check, I believe I can do that without moving the bridge. However, I made them as tight as possible a couple of years ago, I would be shocked if they loosened up.

#10690 8 months ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

There are optics at the rear, but usually those check out. There is a board under the PF, and if that is bad it will exhibit the behavior you are talking about. I had this issue before. Sometimes you can just reflow the solder on that mini board but I don’t think they aren’t that expensive to buy

Thanks for your note. Which board exactly? Under the mini PF? The board I changed out a year or so ago was in the back of the machine under the rope bridge. Are you referencing a different PCB?

#10692 8 months ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I installed Pinsound board and Pinsound shaker to my WMS IJ and now the game has started resetting. Could it be that the power has gotten a bit weak and a "No More Resets" -board should be bought to go with my IJ or is there something else to try first?

You can pull the data files from the storage device and see the voltage reading at the Pinsound PCB to determine if that is the cause of the resets.

#10694 8 months ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Wow, that's convenient.
This is what the self-diagnosis file tells me:
"5V MEASURED: 4679mV (expected range: 4700mV - 5100mV)
[lowest 5V measured: 4629mV / highest 5V measured: 4766mV] "
Its time for a new power source or the no more reset -board I guess?

Based on that reading, I would recommend you replace the capacitors on your main driver board (or get a Rottendog drop in replacement).

#10696 8 months ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Great news if the power source is not dead and new capacitors would help. I am not good at electronics, but my friend is, so my plan is now to get a NoMoreReset-board and then get the spare capacitors, which he could solder in their places, when he visits. Would it work like that to use NoMoreResets as a temporary cure? You meant replacing the big capacitors in the power driver board, right?

I don't have the "no more reset" mod installed on my machine so I can't comment. Yes, the big capacitors. Lots of things going on in this pin, consistent voltage is necessary to ensure proper operation.

#10697 8 months ago

There are optics at the rear, but usually those check out. There is a board under the PF, and if that is bad it will exhibit the behavior you are talking about. I had this issue before. Sometimes you can just reflow the solder on that mini board but I don’t think they aren’t that expensive to buy

I want to thank thechakapakuni2 as this seems to have been my problem. I replaced this PCB and I have not seen the issue reappear in a number of days. Eventually I'll recap and reflow the original but at least my game is back running at 100%.

I also want to point out that my habit of hoarding spare parts was rewarded since apparently I purchased the PBL repro version back in 2021. I have a habit of buying the small PCB replacements and storing them in case something breaks. Usually my hoarding simply leads to excess parts in storage but in this case, my game was down for a total of 5-10 minutes while I swapped the board out. The lesson here is that hoarding spare parts is GOOD, and not in any way an unhealthy obsession

1 week later
#10708 8 months ago

orlandu81 here is the post for the Mini Playfield tilting issue. It may or may not be the same issue. There is another mini playfield board (the opto board assembly - separate from the one you replaced - the Bridge Driver Board #A-15946-1)
There is also the opto sensor at the back of the playfield - This thread has a video which you can see it in action (it’s the black housing that the mini of lever is going up/down inside
Mini Playfield tilt issue:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-mini-playfield-not-centering
Mini Playfield opto sensor location video:

Opto board assembly (Marcos Pinball)
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16657
And finally, which I’m sure you checked - double check to be 100% sure the mini pf isn’t being obstructed. I remember several time I has something in the way on the pf that prevented it for tilting properly.
Hopefully this helps

Thanks for your post. I replaced the A-15946-1 last week and I thought it was fixed but it is not. I also replaced the opto board assembly A-16657 with the one from PBL a year or two ago. Could it be failing already? Has anyone had one of these flake out after only a year or two?

I guess since I replaced both PCBs you mentioned, I have no choice but to remove the playfield and inspect, maybe something is loose and is causing an obstruction intermittently.

Here is a video of the behavior once it gets into a "stuck" position. Sometimes it frees up easily after a power cycle, other times it will slowly free up if I go into the test menu and manual trigger the movement:

#10712 8 months ago

It’s says the video is private. You might try resetting the opto board connectors a couple times to ensure they have good connectivity as a quick option. But I think you’re down to the opto sensor. I rarely hear issues with it though, generally it’s the boards.

Fixed the video, take a look, thanks!

#10716 8 months ago

Almost seems like the motor is too weak to fully turn it left.

So it just needed some exercise? Pinball needs to be played, switches need to get switched, and Mini PFs need to get turnt

No I meant I fixed the video. You see how it seems to get hung up when pivoting left? It doesn't always do this, it's intermittent, but more as of lately. I guess I need to remove the mini PF and inspect around?

#10720 8 months ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Thanks for your post. I replaced the A-15946-1 last week and I thought it was fixed but it is not. I also replaced the opto board assembly A-16657 with the one from PBL a year or two ago. Could it be failing already? Has anyone had one of these flake out after only a year or two?
I guess since I replaced both PCBs you mentioned, I have no choice but to remove the playfield and inspect, maybe something is loose and is causing an obstruction intermittently.
Here is a video of the behavior once it gets into a "stuck" position. Sometimes it frees up easily after a power cycle, other times it will slowly free up if I go into the test menu and manual trigger the movement:

Ok thanks for the input from the group, I think (hope) it is now fixed. When I removed the mini PF I noticed that the raised plastic that is to the left of the bumpers was loose and I could see the diode bumping it while in motion. Not only did I tighten it, but while I was in there I cleaned the hard to reach places and swapped the rubbers under the mini PF. I also cleaned the optos on the dual opto pcb (they weren't dirty).

So far so good, will continue to play throughout the week and hopefully the intermittent issue does not resurface.

SiN13 - if you end up removing your mini PF, be sure to reinstall it as far forward towards the player as possible. This will ensure clean movement on all sides. There is almost no margin for error, but the mini PF can fully pivot on both sides without touching anything if installed correctly.

#10722 8 months ago

I have in fact heard the flipper boards do affect this. I think both orlandu81 & SiN13 are having the same issue

Possible, but for me I think it was an obstruction under the PF. My flipper boards were replaced a year or so ago, but I'll clean them now just in case.

1 week later
#10752 8 months ago

Noticed something odd last night. When in either two or three ball multiball. The coin slot lights turn off. There is something not right going on? When the multiball is over they turn back on?

Coin slot lights are linked to the Lite Hands of Fate. When that is off, the coin door lights are off.

#10754 8 months ago

Now I noticed my mode start is flashing instead of being on until the mode starts. I guessing the diode in that socket may have failed?

This is normal. It should be flashing.

#10756 8 months ago

Really? I don’t think it has ever flashed before? I switched MPU’s yesterday. I went back to a rebuilt Williams MPU rather than the rottendog I had I there for the last 3 years. when I did that a switched the game rom to an older L-7 I had. The L-7 I have had I there was from Matt’s basement arcade. The strange part is. The mode start was lit solid for most of the game. Then towards the end of the game it started flashing when a new mode was available?
All this seems very peculiar?

It has always flashed. I'll let others chime in to confirm. I have had an original MPU and the Rottendog in my machine. It has always flashed. The only solid lit lights besides GI are the "Lite Hand of Fate" and as mentioned, the corresponding Coin Door return slots.

2 weeks later
#10792 7 months ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I have the strangest problem with the mini-playfield. Sometimes there is a mode in which I should hit the ball to the mini-playfield, but instead the ball passes the whole mini-playfield to the lane on the left of the mini-playfield and lets the ball travel that route onto the playfield. Also I have noticed that even though the mini-playfield corrects its movements, sometimes there is a slight delay in it doing this.
I made searches and found the following topics on what I believe is a similar issue with the ball passing the whole mini-playfield altogether, but did not find any solution to this. Any help, what is the suggested approach to fix this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/120#post-5640383
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/120#post-5641050
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/145#post-5969898
Thanks for any tips!

On your first issue, you can try to adjust your pitch to be a little steeper. If that doesn't fix the issue, you can put two washers (one on each side) of the rope bridge upper bolts, so that the rope bridge tilts forward towards the player slightly. This will for sure fix the problem, especially if you have the lost plastic installed.

EDIT: In reading your note again, perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the ball wasn't dropping on the mini PF. My proposed fix is meant to help the ball drop onto the mini PF. If you are having trouble with your mini PF functionality, there are two PCBs you can service. Also make sure that the mini PF is installed in the correct position so it can fully rotate.

3 weeks later
#10857 7 months ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

I removed the rope bridge ramp to work on the POA then reinstalled the rope bridge ramp. Now when the post holding the ball drops, instead diverting into the POA, the ball continues past the POA entrance and continues around to the side wire form.
Should I loosen the screws holding the rope Bride ramp so the ball leans toward the POA?
Thank you

If changing the pitch of the table doesn't fix it, then you can put washers under the two upper holes of the rope bridge to tilt it slightly forward.

#10859 6 months ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

It turns out I needed to increase the pitch some and that solved it, thanks!
Separate Q, how do you illuminate the Hurry Up insert on the way to the ball lock?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but will try. I assume you are asking the game rules for lighting up the hurry up? If so, you need to hit the ramps when lit 3 times each, or get the hurry up through the hand of fate bonus.

1 month later
#11042 5 months ago

Hello Indy Owners -

I have a recurring issue that is just not going away. I had posted about this a few months back as well. My mini PF will act strange on startup of the machine and either fail or get "stuck" in the right position. In this case I get the 94 and 95 switch error. Sometimes just cycling power fixes it. Other times, I have to pull the glass and force the mini PF back to the center position and then it is good again. I have done all of the following steps and still have this intermittent problem.

- Removed the mini PF and ensured there was nothing in the way of it when it is moving left and right.
- Changed both PCBs that affect the mini PF relatively recently, the one in the back left of the machine and the one under the PF near the trough on the left.
- Changed all of the "pit" and "extra ball" optos on the mini PF
- Reseated the connector on the board towards the trough multiple times. One of the connectors feels like it can move slightly but it seems tight enough on there.
- The diodes under the mini PF a few times have been bent funny causing issues with the registering of the switches, and I've adjusted them so they are now not touching anything and do not cause any interference.
- I also replaced the flipper optos 2 years ago

With this behavior it really seems like a connection issue. Why else would it give me trouble upon boot-up often but once I manually adjust it, it is fine for a day or until power is off for a while and the game is powered on again. The only thing I haven't changed is the motor, but given the inconsistency I don't think the motor is the issue. Could it be a cold solder joint somewhere and if so, where? This problem is super frustrating given how intermittent it is. Sometimes it can go a week or two without an issue and sometimes multiple days in a row a bootup it gets stuck in the right position.

#11044 5 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Does the motor stop or does it try to continue and make grinding noises?
Could be the gearbox is worn or partially broken.

It stops, as if it gives up. If I try the test again it sometimes works, sometimes not. But once I move it manually it works well again for a short time. Then the next day upon startup it often repeats this charade again. Sometimes it goes days or even a week without repeating but lately it’s been doing it more often. I’ll mess with the diodes, reseat the cables, and I can usually get it to work fine again after a minute or two but I just want this solved for good.

#11046 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

Could be stripped, slipping gears in the gear box. Maybe open up the gear box and take a look. Missing teeth on a gear when stopped in the right position could give this symptom. Slipping gears on the shafts can also. My motor board gave me intermittent issues. Thanks to someone else I found it to be the 100 farad cap.

I have an extra motor assembly here...should I just replace the motor and see what happens?

Edit: The motor just stops trying, I don't hear it grinding or trying to go back left. But again once I manually force it back to the middle position, it runs "smooth" for a short while.

#11048 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

Nice that you have an extra. Could be the motor itself is at the end of it's life.

Ok I'm heading to work now but I'll see if there are any other recommendations and if not, I guess I'll change out the motor too tonight when I get home. I have never replaced it before so it is possible it's dying. Has anyone else had a failing motor that would act in a similar manner as well that could validate? I would hate to replace it and then find out all I need to do was X instead.

#11050 5 months ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

If you replace the motor or not and the issue persists I would recommend looking at the optos on your flippers. They are what makes the mini playfield work left/right. I have found that intermittent issues can be caused by your flipper optos. Inexpensive items to try/replace.
Just a suggestion.

It's gotta be this then...the functionality of the motor seems good and since it only fails in one direction not both maybe it is simply the flipper optos. Are they the same optos that are used throughout the rest of the machine? If so, I have extras and can replace them first before doing the motor.

Edit: Crap, I changed these a year ago...I can't imagine these opto boards are bad already...but I guess it is worth exploring. I will buy two new opto boards and try to replace them again.

#11051 5 months ago

Here is a short video of it getting "stuck" in test mode. This was one intermittent experience earlier it is not like this each time. Sometimes it will shift right and stay there, and not move back at all. This prompts the 94 and 95 switch error and requires me to manually nudge it back to the middle position and then it works great for a while - sometimes days or even a week or two. The only consistent thing with this issue is that when it does get stuck, it is always getting stuck in the same spot, tilted to the right and almost always just when I turn the machine on cold.

#11053 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

Update on my idol/ multi ball issue.
I cleaned and reflowed all solder joints on the subway and idol bracket optos. No obvious issues that were visible. While removed, I also checked continuity on connectors and wires on the idol and subway. I did notice the optos on the bottom of the idol bracket were quite dirty. All the dust and debris over time dropping down falls on them.
I then started a game with the glass off to test. Multi ball by locking the balls works fine with no issues. All the balls cycle through the idol properly, holding 1 or 2 balls during the double, triple jackpot until the timer counts down. Once the timer runs down, the idol releases the balls as it should.
Multi ball when in well of souls starts fine but at some point keeps a ball captured in the idol. Subsequent balls made to the center shot cycle through the idol without issue, but the idol continues to keep 1 ball locked in the idol. When all balls in play drain, it then goes into ball search and eventually releases the ball.
I have not replaced the 12 volt connector on the driver board and checked voltages. That will be next.
I am perplexed that the idol functions correctly when multi ball is started by locking the balls, but starts to have issues in well of souls mode. Is it just the number of balls in play in well of souls that either confuses it or drops the voltage to cause an issue? (Replace 12 volt connector)
Is my understand of well of souls mode correct? All balls should cycle through the idol without being held?
Thanks again.

Looks like it's me and you going back and forth in the thread with our issues at the moment

You are correcting in assuming Well of Souls is behaving strangely. All balls should cycle through in well of souls. It seems that the machine has not recognized all of the shots made in well of souls in your situation? I've read this issue happening before and it was the opto sensor in the subway I believe...

#11057 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

Maybe we're the only ones having issues.
Unless something is happening during play, every time I've checked, everything is good.
Good luck, I'll keep updates going.

I just played a round and played through the Well of Souls mode related to your issue you mentioned. At the start, the idol will empty all of the balls. Each ball you sink into the ball lock will subsequently make its way into the back of the idol, the idol then rotates 180 degrees and releases the ball back into play. At no point is a ball sitting in the idol.

As far as my intermittent mini PF problem, I am going to replace the flipper opto boards, again, and hope for the best. If that doesn't fix it, the only thing I have yet to replace is the motor. I'm hoping that someone will read this who has seen this specific strange mini PF behavior. Because it appears to lock up only in one position, and is fixed temporarily with a physical nudge to the left, perhaps the motor is starting to go bad. The intermittent issue now returns after only a handful of games so I guess I'll have to turn it off for thanksgiving until I can diagnose and solve the problem.

#11059 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

It just clicked in my head and probably what you were trying to suggest. It could be an opto in the subway on it's way out. I don't know if they act like that when they start to go or not. I think I remember seeing that the emitter goes more often then the sensor. Plus now that I think about it, I noticed a few times after the ball goes in the center shot hole, it sometimes takes a bit longer (10 seconds or so) to get kicked up to the idol. I think I have a few emitters on hand but not sure how many.
I got stuck on the "I keep testing it and it keeps testing fine" thought pattern.

Yeah none of that behavior is normal. At least you have a solid lead now on your issue!

#11061 5 months ago
Quoted from pjflyer:

I just watched your mini playfield test. I just did a test on mine and I see how yours if off. Mine rapidly goes all the way left and right twice, pauses and goes to center. Not much experience on IJ yet, but almost seems like either the optos or opto board?!? Maybe someone else will chime in.

Yeah I replaced all of those recently, I doubt it's that. The motor may be binding up.

#11062 5 months ago

Ok I sucked it up and just changed the motor, and the problem seems to be gone (for now). I clearly will need to put some heavy testing on it this weekend to ensure it is fully working

#11064 5 months ago

My mini playfield gearbox does NOT sound like that.

I just changed it out, problem may be solved (need more time to test). The new motor sounds exactly the same as the old one, so I'm not sure the sound was the issue.

#11066 5 months ago

did you swap the motor or the entire motor/gearbox?

I swapped the entire unit (both the motor and gearbox) and will now see if I can diagnose what was causing the issue on the old one. Perhaps it can be salvaged and kept as a spare. I actually bought a spare entire unit years ago because I figured one day I may have an issue. I'm thankful (pun intended!) to have it fixed before family comes over on Thursday.

2 weeks later
#11126 4 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What’s the consensus on Liors Ruin and Idol mods, worth it or better staying stock?

Personally I prefer the stock look better. The ruins are quite “cold” in appearance to me and a bit too much but I can see the other side of this argument as well. For me, stock for the ruins and idol area, although I’ve seen some shiny gold idols that really do look quite amazing.

#11172 4 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

I'm too lazy to go get pics from mine so I'll use yours. This is where I was stopped in my tracks and got scared. I wanted to move this grill to the other panel without damaging it. I'm not sure if it is glued in there but it does appear to be tacked in with at least these 4 nails. I want to pop it out and install it on the new panel without damaging it. If I could lift the nail heads just a bit and grip them with pliers, maybe a putty knife under the grills and a slight twist. I know people have done this before but I couldn't find how they've done it cleanly.
[quoted image]

I relocated my originals, it was easy. Those grills are more rigid than you think, the nails should come out pretty easily without damaging the grills.

#11179 4 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

How did you do it though, hands, tools, etc...?

I don't recall, but I think I used a Hakko CHP-170 to lift the nails up slightly and then just pulled them off. I may have also used a flat head screwdriver to slowly pry it up.

1 week later
#11215 4 months ago

Hey Guys -

Sorry if this question has been asked (sadly no key posts in here) - is there an easy way to install side blades in Indy without removing the playfield? If anyone has some simple instructions they can share that would be awesome. My Indy has never had side blades and I plan on installing over the holidays. Is it as simple as just lifting the playfield and installing it while the playfield is in the lifted position? Thanks in advance!

I bought the retro refurbs, they look pretty amazing.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/indiana-jones-the-pinball-adventure-pinball-sideblades/

#11217 4 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I usually install mirror blades with the playfield in. It's fairly simple and there are a lot of videos on youtube on how to install them.
I've tried installing art blades (decals) a couple of times with the playfield in, and it was a bit of a struggle. I ended up having to use RapidTac, so that I could reposition the decals after sliding them in. I find it less stressful to remove the playfield when installing art blades.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RUG9XO

Thanks, I found this one:

- I'll have two people so I think I can do it with my buddy holding the playfield up for me while I align it.

1 week later
#11239 3 months ago

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have one of the Elite Pinball toppers for Indy that they have yet to install and would be willing to part with? Unfortunately there are none currently available and I would like to get one sooner than later. If so, send me a message, thanks!

#11250 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

How do you like the mirrored backglass? (Tell me it sucks so I don't spend the money....)

Yeah...it absolutely does NOT suck. It's pretty incredible and worth every penny.

#11255 3 months ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't care for the backglass. It's pretty dark and the silver mirror effect doesn't look right. It would have been a better fit if it was gold.

This is a fair opinion. I think part of the reason I like the mirrored is because the original one looked so yellowed from being 30 years old and the mirrored one really made the machine look more "current" next to the newer tables in my lineup.

#11257 3 months ago

So I just completed the install of the retro refurb inner blades and I'm super happy. Installation with two people was relatively easy once we decided on the plan of attack. My only issue is the horse is hidden behind this metal bracket (see pics). I'm wondering, perhaps I can remove this metal piece fully? I imagine it is there to prevent balls from hopping off of the wireforms and draining in the outlane but I honestly have never seen the ball hop off of that area ever.

Has anyone removed this piece and noticed any difference? If not, I'll try removing and see if there is any difference.

IMG_2158 (resized).jpgIMG_2158 (resized).jpg
#11259 3 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

The only time I’ve ever seen the ball hit that metal was from air balls off the drop targets. With a protector in place now I’ve never hit it since.

I took it off...it's funny how I never noticed how intrusive it really was until I removed it.
IMG_2159 (resized).jpgIMG_2159 (resized).jpg

#11269 3 months ago
Quoted from SiN13:

I’m still trying to get use to it. Walking by powered off it actually looks really good and the mirrored parts are more apparent and easier to read. When lit though the strong saturation and darkness remains. I don’t know if an adjustment layer added to the source file could be used to counter this or if this is just the unfortunate natural of multiple layers of ink on glass versus a manufactured translite. I guess I’ll see if it grows on me.
[quoted image]

It's tough to capture in the photos I agree. Mine was purchased a number of years ago and I can vividly see the images in the reflection of it, no blurring from what I can see on mine. Yes, the mirrored glass has a more enhanced warm temperature hue than the translite (when lit), but in my opinion the sharp reflection as you move while looking at the mirrored glass is really quite pleasant and feels more "dressed up" which I like.

#11276 3 months ago

Here's mine, the open mirrored areas are in the shadowing of "Indiana Jones" and in outlines throughout the image (easily seen in the photos by Pinkitten and in the column details on mine). I imagine it can be "cooled off" a bit by changing the bulbs to a sunlight color bulb but I'm fine with the warmth. It honestly looks different from every angle due to the mirroring...kind of a shimmer effect not visible in a photo.
IMG_2170 (2).jpgIMG_2170 (2).jpg

#11279 3 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

All… What LEDs did you put behind the mirrored backglass?

I have whichever ones were part of the IJ kit from Comet. I assume warm white or sunlight white but honestly am not sure. Definitely not cool white

2 weeks later
#11342 89 days ago

If you successfully add this light would you please document it on here. I pondered about doing this years ago, but I was too nervous and not experienced enough. Great Idea btw!

You can also add a bulb under the idol lock. It should be the same part as mentioned by SiN13 above, I recall doing both of them at the same time. Just some little ways to save on production costs from Williams I guess.

#11348 88 days ago
Quoted from marschner:

Could someone please post a picture of this bulb installed?

I’m not near my machine currently but have some pics of how it looks from above. If you lift the table it will be obvious where you can install the bulbs, will be open PF holes. I used a red LED for the idol just because I liked how it looks.

IMG_2262 (resized).jpegIMG_2262 (resized).jpegIMG_2263 (resized).jpegIMG_2263 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#11386 76 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I seem to get the 1,000 point “Narrow Escape” award when my ball drains from the right outlane. I would have guessed that award would happen when the post saves your ball and it passes thru the little metal gate into the inlane. Is it supposed to award “narrow escape” when you lose your ball?

That is common, the ball is missing the switch sometimes. Ricochet made a ball guide that Cliffy now manufactures which solves this problem. Alternatively, you can use a larger switch (maybe from Stern) and bend it slightly to help prevent the miss.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/ijpros/IJ-rayno-guide-inst01.jpg

#11388 76 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Ah, thank you. So the ball is triggering the first switch above the gate, but missing the second, which the game interprets as an escape. I’ll either order the Cliffy or cut a piece of Lexan and correct that. Thanks! That little ball save post and gate is so perfect, thematically. Mine seems about a 50/50 save proposition, which is how I like it.

You got it, no problem. And I agree fully on the ball save post. Mine also is 50/50. It's very fair.

3 weeks later
#11498 50 days ago

Ok here’s an underside playfield shot for the idol light. I had no wires running through this hole so I figured I would use it to add more lighting to the idol area.

IMG_2418 (resized).jpegIMG_2418 (resized).jpegIMG_2421 (resized).jpegIMG_2421 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#11663 7 days ago

I'm late to the Rottendog discussion, but for me personally, I have proactively changed out all of the OEM boards for Rottendog replacements to reduce wear on the originals (Pinsound for audio). I have all of the original boards with matching serial numbers wrapped up nicely after I serviced them and they will stay in storage for the time that I own this table, even the original DMD. I never plan on selling Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, but if unforeseen circumstances happen where I am forced to do so, my thought process was to keep everything, both original and replacement items, in working condition to cater to all potential future owners.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,419.00
$ 12.95
$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider orlandu81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club?tu=orlandu81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.