IMG_2559 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3082 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3052 (resized).jpeg
20240331_185053 (resized).jpg
20240331_185034 (resized).jpg
20240331_184519 (resized).jpg
20240331_184510 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#740 8 years ago

I'm in!

Just picked up an IJ on Sunday. Nearly 14 hours round trip. I've got it sitting right next to my STTNG. These were the two pins I wanted more than any others when I first got into this hobby back in 2001. Still need to get some pics. Mine is faded but came with a full decal set. Now I just need to find time to do them (after I play it for a bit).

Edit.....Quick Pic:

WP_20151027_21_10_23_Pro.jpgWP_20151027_21_10_23_Pro.jpg

I plan on putting on the new cabinet decals and having the trim and legs custom powder coated. I was thinking about doing the trim and legs in a metallic bronze?

2 months later
#766 8 years ago

We will be in Hawaii at the end of March/early April!

Unfortunately we won't be on Kauai

#771 8 years ago
Quoted from Kahanaohana:

if you repair pins, ill fly you over for a couple days of sightseeing and maintenance.

I do, but I'm no speedy gonzalas. Plus I'm going to be there with my family of four plus three additional kids (friends of our kids). Many years ago I went diving off Kauai....it was amazing.

1 week later
#787 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Picked up a really nice IJ last week, plays great. One issue I have is the flippers are very strong for the ramps, balls fly off them, mainly the right flipper hitting the left ramp. Common? Is there a fix for this? Previous owner said he had rebuilt the flippers not long ago. The coils used are fl15411 (left) and fl11629 (right). The fl11629 looks much bigger.
Thx

Seems to be very common on IJ. Try a little higher playfield angle....that seemed to reduce my "fly offs". I noticed that the software even compensates for this by kicking out another ball if you lose one from a fly off....so they knew it was an issue.

1 week later
#802 8 years ago

Here is the current state of my IJ.....getting prepped for new decals:

WP_20160124_13_28_36_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160124_13_28_36_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160123_19_15_42_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160123_19_15_42_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160123_15_52_29_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160123_15_52_29_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160116_21_26_03_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160116_21_26_03_Pro_(resized).jpg

#805 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Astropin,
Is that a heating plate you used to remove the decals?

Just a soldering station with a heat gun.

1 week later
#809 8 years ago

Well I've been distracted with work and playing GOT.....but it's slowly coming along.

WP_20160127_22_26_54_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160127_22_26_54_Pro_(resized).jpg

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Beautiful. Did your red lines not line up on the left front of the cab or was that just my set of decals?

I would say that they do not line up perfectly.....but not off enough to really stand out.

#814 8 years ago

The POA can be a real PITA. It takes a lot of tweaking to get working right and even then it feels like it should tilt even more than it does. You have to time it just right to throw it across to the other side without hitting a hole.

#816 8 years ago

A little more progress. Side rails, lockdown and door back on; they were powder coated in a metallic bronze which really doesn't show up in the picture. It's nicer in person. The legs were also done in the same color.

WP_20160205_23_12_40_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160205_23_12_40_Pro_(resized).jpg

#821 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Very nice.
Have you considered cabinet protectors ( http://www.johns-arcade.com/#!product-page/c1cs/237c0859-05c6-3b0c-ce9e-76af5bb8b0a8). The suggestion is to cut around and remove the decals that would be under them to stop the decals from becoming wrinkled when the legs go back on.

Already bought a set from Pinball Life. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

No need to cut around them either.....any tiny amount of wrinkling that might happen would be hidden by the legs anyway.

1 week later
#825 8 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

That metallic bronze powder coat looks amazing. Can you share ballpark
price it cost?
I need to find someone to PC my parts after seeing that.
Thanks

I paid $165 for everything...legs, side trim, lockdown and coindoor.

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

My orbit shots seem to rarely make it past the roll over lane area (seems like the ball spins out into the lane area). Anyone experience this, and how did you fix it?

Take the glass off and roll the ball through there.... see if it's catching on something.

1 month later
#846 8 years ago

Back when I bought my first machine (2001) I made a short list of the games I wanted. STTNG was #1 and IJ was #2. I finally picked up a STTNG in 2012 and then IJ about 5 months ago. I would have to say that IJ has surpassed STTNG on my list.

#848 8 years ago

More often than not it's a bad optical sensor. Either in the center shot were the ball enters the subway or in the idol itself. Check all of the switches and the optic sensors involved in the switch test mode. One or more of them isn't working properly.

1 week later
#856 8 years ago

I'm telling you (and I've been saying it for a while) the IPDB is more accurate overall...IMHO. But then again some of the more recent and better Stern's are too low on it.

Make your own list.

1 month later
#914 7 years ago

Finally got her put back together!! (new decals, trim, legs & door powder coated in bronze metallic....looks better in person):

20160517_201336_(resized).jpg20160517_201336_(resized).jpg20160517_201426_(resized).jpg20160517_201426_(resized).jpg20160517_201521_(resized).jpg20160517_201521_(resized).jpg20160517_201436_(resized).jpg20160517_201436_(resized).jpg20160517_201349_(resized).jpg20160517_201349_(resized).jpg20160517_201403_(resized).jpg20160517_201403_(resized).jpg20160517_201608_(resized).jpg20160517_201608_(resized).jpg

#923 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Looks great Astro. Is that a brown?

It's actually a metallic bronze (deep brown with flecks of reddish gold in it), which is why I said it looks better in person. It is pretty subtle though.

#928 7 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

I am having a hell of a time getting into this club. Been waiting patiently but so far no luck.
If anyone has a lead an IJ please PM me. I don't care if the cabinet is faded or if it has bullet holes in it. I just want one that plays decent and I am fine doing a little work if the price is right. I am on the west coast and don't mind doing some long distance driving either.
Hopefully I can join you all someday soon. Cheers and I'll go back to lurking in the shadows now.

Good luck with your search.....one will pop up. Took me a little while to track one down (and 14hrs of driving). I have to say that IJ is one of the rare games that I like MORE now that I own it.

#931 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I'm getting the same stutter in my POA. It seems to work normally soon after start up, and I can usually get through the POA test but then later during gameplay it will start to stutter. I reflowed the connectors and the large copper coils on the bridge driver board A-15946-1 . It seemed to help for a while but now it's stuttering again. I'm not having any luck finding a replacement. Marco, PPS, Ministry of Pinball are out of stock. Has anyone had luck repairing this board or has a spare they are willing to sell? Am I looking in the wrong place? I don't believe the set screw under the POA is loose because it works normally sometimes too.

Send it to Pinsider johnwartjr he'll fix it up for you.

#938 7 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Just joined the club yesterday! Picked it up from a non-collector so I'm sure everything is not working 100%. I only had about 10 min on her yesterday before bed and have one question. With the path of adventure - what type of movement is normal when engaging the flipper button? Does it move fluidly one full crank each way, or should it move two cranks each way with two flipper button pressed. Not sure if I'm describing it right, but basically mine moves about halfway to one side with one button hit, then a full tilt to the side with the second button pressed in the same direction.

Hmm....mine moves all the way but I tend to hold the button in.

2 weeks later
#947 7 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Can someone do me a favor and post a picture of the wiring to the drop target bank coil? I removed the mechanism to clean and have some confusion on if my wiring is correct. I appreciate it!

Does this work?

013indy16s.jpg013indy16s.jpg

2 months later
#974 7 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

more pics...
unfortunatly pictures don't show but colors on cabinet and playfield are still bright and deep, just very dirty...

Looks like it has great potential to be a really nice machine....nice pickup.

1 month later
#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Anyone wanna sell one ?

They pop up from time to time. Just need to be vigilant.....and be willing to drive out of state.

#1022 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Let me ask you guys something: When you play a game and for example you lock 2 balls during that game. Then you drain and the game is over. When you start another game, and you lock a ball (2 balls are in the idol from the first game) Instead of a ball popping up in the shooter lane, the idol just spits a ball from the 2 that were left in the idol from the previous game. Is that normal behavior?
Are the 2 locked balls in the Idol from the first game supposed to drain before the start of a second game? Thanks

Mine acts just like yours.....but I never checked the settings. Might have to do that. I think I would prefer to start from scratch each game.

#1027 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

So there is no spitting out after a game is finished (like Ghostbusters).

But apparently there is a setting adjustment you can make so it does just that.

#1039 7 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I was getting too many fly balls so I made this protector for the drops. Thought I'd share it -- works like a dream. Just bought a sheet at the hardware store and cut it down, ground the corners, drilled some holes and no more balls to the outlane! Made one for the right ramp as well.

That's cool, but any airballs to the outlane get shot back into play. No harm no foul.

#1050 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Does anyone know where to buy gold or brass colored pinballs besides Pinballdecals where they are $19.00 bucks a piece.
That's a bit crazy when you need 6 for the game plus the captive ball.

Not to mention they need to be replaced every so often.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

What's up everyone! I'm excited to have joined the club earlier today but have a few issues that I'm hoping to get help from you guys to solve so I can fully enjoy this sweet pin. I will caveat the first one by saying that both trough boards (transmitter and receiver) were replaced less than a year ago from Great Lakes modular:
1) a ball will sometimes take a while to register a drain and/or not load into the shooter lane at the start of a new ball without lightly shaking the machine a bit
2) on a few occasions, a ball randomly gets placed into the shooter lane during a game but doesn't launch. Once a ball is drained and it's time for the next ball, a ball is loaded into the shooter lane so there's now two (the game doesn't recognize the initial one that was already there from the middle of the previous ball.
3) more than one ball is launched from the trough or from the idol (usually after a ball has been locked but not 3 to actually start multiball) so there are multiple balls at play but there isn't supposed to be. Once a ball drains, the game registers the end of the ball which confirms that the other ball still at play isn't legitimate
Are these all connected? All of the trough optos as well as the ball lock and idol (entry opto and exit switch) all seem to be working correctly in switch test.
Is it possible I need a new trough? Could the newer trough opto boards be broken? Both?
I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!!

Sounds like you've got one or more faulty optic sensors. Common problem on these. Clean them all thoroughly for a start. Some may need to be re-soldered or replaced.

#1068 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Sorry to dominate the thread but I've got one more diagnosis item that I'm sure you all can help with:
Every so often, the diverter post (the one operated by a coil that stops the ball before the path of adventure entry) doesn't pop back up when the path of adventure is lit so the ball just goes right past it and down the metal ramp back in play (the path will move right and left when this happens as it expects the ball to go there).
The post moves freely up and down and the coil and wiring seem fine. The post isn't bent and it's centered in the hole with nothing blocking its path.
Any ideas?

Could be as simple as just replacing a diode on the coil......or it may be more complicated. Have you tested it in the "coil test" mode?

#1073 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Could someone confirm the correct process/actions of the idol once you lock the third ball to start multiball: the third ball should enter the idol, it should then rotate, the idol lock door should open thus releasing a ball, the idol lock door should close, the idol rotates, the lock door open releasing ball #2...etc.. and this corresponds to the elephant sound.
With mine, I think I'm having an issue with either the lock door and/or the exit switch as the idol motor and optos seem to work. With mine, it looks like the lock door doesn't open and close for each of the three balls and the third ball only is released once one ball drains. I found another thread that says it likely either an intermittent idol exit switch or an issue with the idol lock door assembly. Someone even noticed an issue with the corner tip of the lock plastic catching the plastic and not closing properly.

You might want to start a thread in the "tech Modern Games" section and get the pro's involved. They are better at diagnosing and telling you exactly what to check and in what order. I can fix just about anything.....but I'm terrible at diagnosing.

1 week later
#1082 7 years ago

That captive ball is a PITA to get to. Gold ball would be cool but not worth the effort if you ask me.

1 week later
#1085 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Can anybody PLEASE take a picture of the nuts that hold the gun in place from inside the cabinet? I need to see what type of nuts are used. Thanks!

Here you go. Looks like one of the most common sizes used in pinball:

20161103_153105 (resized).jpg20161103_153105 (resized).jpg

#1088 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Are they covered in nylon or plastic inside? Thank you!!!!!!!

Looks like nylon.

#1103 7 years ago

Sometimes the ramps themselves need some very minor tweaking (bending) to get them just right. The degree of playfield slant can affect it also.

#1114 7 years ago
Quoted from Fremen:

Hi Everyone. after many years of saving and several months of looking, i finally purchased my first pin ever, beloved Indiana Jones! i have really been working on it the last few weeks and am ready to purchase a color display. My question to yall:
- Color DMD offers an LCD and LED display. I really do not know which one to order. Can anyone give me some insight? Thank you so much!

Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. The LCD gives you more options but the LED is brighter and a little cheaper. I think both look great but with the animated graphics on IJ the LCD will probably look a little cooler.

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Just discovered recently on my game that the point of reference for making the mode start shot is to flip the right flipper when the ball is at Indy's bullwhip. The bullwhip pictured on the playfield at the left flipper sends it up the right habitrail. They appear to be properly aligned so this is likely well-known by everyone else.

I like to backhand that shot from the left flipper. Goes in softer.

#1123 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Do you do early back hand or late back hand?

very early....sometimes I hit the bottom of the left slingshot by accident.

#1141 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Check for cracked solder joints on the three drop bank where the connector goes on.

Yeah......you've got switch/s firing when they shouldn't. Either they just need an adjustment (check that first) or may need to have the solder re-flowed. Could even be a lose wire.

2 months later
#1355 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Should I swap out the 5amp slow blow for an 8amp at the inline power box?
If someone could answer that, then I'll go into how it blew 6 fuses last night.

Only if you want to destroy a board.

Get a resettable fuse....5amp in this case. Every Time it blows you just push the button and it resets. It will look something like this:
https://www.delcity.net/store/Thermal-Push-Button-Breakers/p_539615.h_806427.r_IF1003?mkwid=sIDeGB8L5&crid=38094426869&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=CjwKEAiA2OzDBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdiuLfye6nZm_vrKBABE8WBjgZlDQ9GwNO1ep64jmj2aBoCDVvw_wcB

#1357 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I didn't include all info.
That was replace the 5amp slow blow with the manual stated 8amp fast blow/normal blow?
This is for the fuse at inline power box.

Oh....yeah, make sure you use the right fuse. If it was originally an 8 then get an 8.

1 week later
#1373 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

So I finally got around to installing a PinSound board and Flipper Fidelity speakers in my IJ with Endprodukt's reorchestrations. All I can say is wow. Officially the best use of a PinSound board by me to date, a close second is my Jurassic Park followed by my T2 then my STTNG and then my TZ.
Maybe it is just the nostalgia of hearing high quality call outs from the films mixed with significantly improved music. Either way I high suggest this upgrade.

I still need to do this!

1 week later
#1387 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Looking for a collector quality IJ playfield. Anyone?

Check with Pinsider Kruzman....he restores playfields to perfection and might have one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/kruzman

3 weeks later
#1424 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

About that....What sort of adjustment can you make to it other than the allen screw on the motor shaft? I would really like to know....
The rest is pretty much just screwed to the playfield.

You can also add a couple washers to the front screws (the end closer to you). This helps a ton if you have the game closer to 7 degree tilt and I find IJ plays best near that angle. Shallower and balls tend to fly off the left ramp.

#1426 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

You mean to the frame that holds the POA? Mine lacks just a hair (almost nothing but significant enough to affect the ball) of tilt to the left. The right side works great.

You add them where the POA attaches to the playfield in the front. You are raising the front of the POA a little to counteract the playfield angle. On mine when I increased the incline to 7 degrees the POA became too fast to control the ball at all. Couple of regular washers (four total) on the front attachments fixed the issue. So you end up with a playfield at 7 degrees and a POA at 6-6.5 degrees.

1 week later
#1447 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

that's a nice look IJ. What are these 5-6k these days? I was thinking about joining the club -potentially trading up my fully loaded MET Prem. Not sure yet. Not a fan of widebodies but I love the theme.

One in that condition... 6-7k

1 week later
#1479 7 years ago
Quoted from rupert7:

Just finished this I bought my own a while ago, but i recently decided to create my own decals...

NOICE!

1 week later
#1496 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so I'm about to join the club (finally) and was deciding b/w an LED or LCD color DMD. I know color DMD is necessary for the game but does anyone have a pref? I usually go LCD for the additional display modes but I just bought a color LED for another game that I can use OR I can return that, eat shipping costs and pay a little more for LCD....

Congrats! (See....it didn't take that long).

As far as display goes I like them both. Give the LED a shot and see what you think. I've got the LCD in mine (it came that way) but I wouldn't be opposed to the LED either.

2 months later
#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

And you're able to keep the POA running nicely like that? I'd think the ball would be bouncing around like crazy.
I'm going to try it when I get home and see if the increased slant makes deadens the bounces a bit and allows for some more control.

I've got my playfield at a steeper slant than the POA. I'm right around 7 for the playfield but probably closer to 6.5 on the POA.

Just add a couple of regular washers (two on each) to the front of the POA where it connects to the playfield. Win-Win.

2 weeks later
#1821 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What do you suggest? Soap and water and let dry for a couple of hours? Thanks Boob!

99% Isopropyl Alcohol....wait about 1 minute.

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Pint/dp/B001B5JT8C

#1880 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm almost sure repro playfields were never done for IJ. You probably had a different playfield put in your machine with a serial number that didn't match the game. Who cares? HEP put in a NOS playfield in my machine during the resto. He asked me first because he said some people care about the matching numbers. To me that's ridiculous. I care about having an amazing game.
I could be wrong, but my opinion is that the buyer hosed you for 450. If he didn't like the mismatched numbers it wasn't the machine for him. Top 5 games restored with Mirco playfields don't lose value because of the playfield...they gain value because they look brand new.

Agreed...I think you got hosed for $450. In fact if they had made a repo playfield it would only increase the value. Not too many pins out there with repo playfields installed that are worth much less than similar condition originals.

So...now that we know they didn't make repo playfields for IJ are you going to get you money back? If not can you PM me who you dealt with so I know who to be wary of?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 29.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.