IMG_3053 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3052 (resized).jpeg
20240331_185053 (resized).jpg
20240331_185034 (resized).jpg
20240331_184519 (resized).jpg
20240331_184510 (resized).jpg
20240331_183927 (resized).jpg
20240331_184141 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8332 2 years ago

Tagging this thread for future reference.

1 week later
#8361 2 years ago

I am going to be joining the club very soon. I am having an Indy sent to me from US to Canada and I am very excited.

#8362 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
I'm located in Europe, happy owner of an Indy which is however in need of a complete playfield and decal restoration.
For the playfield, I essentially have four options:
- Prep the playfield, and apply a full playfield size overlay
- Prep the playfield, and arrange for a full size playfield print (yes I have access to someone who can do it - but it's brand new territory he only printed this particular playfield on overlays)
- Custom restoration by an expert (2y leadtime...)
- Mirco
Mirco option is dismissed by many on various forums because of multiple issues, art and color deviation for ex, but also clearcoat quality (as exhibited recently with the infamous GnR playfield issues). I've seen a Medieval Madness Mirco playfield which color rendition was miles away from an original.
So I'd like to ask those who went the Mirco route: happy with it ? is art repro consistent with original ? Did you add any additionnal clearcoat ? No issue with clearcoat pooling ? Given that they advertise they use the same clearcoat as JJP, this does not really inspire confidence...
Also looking for cabinet decals. There are multiple options from multiple vendors, including from Mirco, the so called Radcals. I would welcome however a pointer to "original decal" seller, hopefully located in Europe. Also, it seems the radcals require less cabinet preparation, at the expense of alignment and the need to cut holes ? Can you elaborate on that ?
Thanks and regards

Whenever I think of getting a new Pf these are the guys that come to mind before anybody else:
https://www.buthamburg.de/en/playfields

They might not have Indy on the site, but just email them. They might have one or make it for you.

I think they make a good quality PF. There are videos of them hammering the PF with sledgehammers and the inserts do not crack, nor the clear cracks...Actually nothing really fails terribly...

I am not associated in any ways with them, but I think they deserve a click or two if you are looking to get a PF.
I am in Canada and did not hear anything good about CPR nor Mirco (especially Mirco) so if I was going to do all the work required to swap a PF, I would get the best quality possible. Or try to at least.

Just a thought.

#8376 2 years ago

wow, this is inspirational... I am going to be tackling a restoration job this winter I think and aspire to get this kind of result, I hope I can get close!!

#8377 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Heads up... I've decided I'm going to be making the Antidote in batches of 50 ... just so I can keep my sanity. I was going to do them all at once ... but I think its better to roll them out in an orderly fashion. First batch is on order.
I'm going to go down my list of interested pinsiders and contact you individually to see if you are still interested. A few have been kind enough to let me know that they no longer need or are interested in the product. If you do know you are no longer interested please let me know... it would be helpful. Also when I reach out... If I don't hear back from you within a couple of days I may need move your name to the next batch.
Rest assured I will continue to make them as long as there is demand... either way you won't be missing out on it if you want one.
Thanks for the interest!
Jim

I will be getting my Indy in about 10 days and was wondering if you are still selling these? thanks

#8389 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:Thanks, I did contact them. Unfortunately they are not allowed to produce for Indy, so I'm stuck here...

Oh no. That is too bad. So CPR and Mirco then?

#8391 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Mirco is the only option for new IJ playfield.

Rmmmh, wonder if these have the same issues GNR has?

#8408 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Me personally I prefer the original look of decals. I used original screen printed decals... If you've done Fish Tales then the experience should be very similar on Indy. There are a ton of do's and don'ts around here when regarding surface prep and installation.
[quoted image]

This is the only part missing in my kit on my quest for restoring Indy.
Where did you get these?

I know other usint radcals, but not sure I would like the look and feel of those.

#8409 2 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Hey thanks for the advice. I'm getting 15.1 Ohms lug to lug on the AE-26-1500, and no voltage difference between the lugs to ground in circuit.
As you can see in the video, if I slightly push down on the idol release plunger it cycles correctly, however, once I release it and the plunger connects with the assembly, over time it eventually stops working again.
-Wes

It is weird you say it works and then it doesnt.
Can a faulty transistor cause this behaviour ?

#8411 2 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

I've personally never seen a transistor fail "partially", but there is a first time for everything.
-Wes

Right, to me it sound like either a faulty connection that changes with vibration or heat.
Have you check the connection at the driver board? And I doubt is heat, but maybe the coil is swelling up when hot and expanding putting pressure on the sleeve.

#8421 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Motor and greabox assembly:
Note: the motor wire connections are likely reversed on the new motor.
Test with a 9v battery and you will see, before installing it. Wire it appropriately.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Indiana+jones+gearbox
Motor driver board for POA:
https://nitropinball.com/products/bridge-driver-replacement-board-for-williams-india

where do you get the opto board?

#8423 2 years ago

Thank you. Not sure why I did not look there first.

I think it confused me the fact that it was not being included as the other links were and automatically assumed it was hard to get… not.

Ok, one question though, why is the home pin version not recommended?

#8429 2 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Hey guys. I have been out of pinball but just reached out to my fabricator and might have 25 sets made.

I am curious about these and potentially interested since I am about to receive my indy and want to make sure I have everything I need. It is kind of obvious what these do but if you could elaborate, please and thanks!

#8433 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

As my playfield is in dire need of a full restore, I'm going to tear everything down, mechanics, electronics, remove the PF and ship it over to a renovator in my area (France).
Now before I start this rather dauting task... Any good material (video, tutorial) on how to proceed, but most importantly... How to reassemble afterward (besides taking tons of pictures and videos of course)...
Regards

I am on the same boat as you, with the difference that I am not sending anything off to a restorer, except for maybe clear coating the old playfield and also the new playfield.

I have never attempted a job like this and been thinking of the best way of doing it myself as well.
I had been reading other posts from other people attempting this, there is one that actually gives a lot of information about it so you might find it useful.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration

#8437 2 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Ashram56 & Ottawaflip - For this specific machine, you can not do better than Ricochet's full Indy restore. Outside of HEP, this is the gold standard for personal restoration as far as I'm concerned.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indy-restoration-its-not-the-years-honey-its-the-mileage-
Also, I've used this handy shop guide for years:
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Indiana_Jones:_The_Pinball_Adventure_Shop_Guide

Ricochet restore is gorgeous, I am aiming for the same quality/standards or would not bother. we will see.

#8441 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks for the recommendation, and for quick description.
The next screen printed batch is scheduled for August.[quoted image][quoted image]

Count me in too please.

#8449 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

If anyone is looking for the jackpot board (assuming you'll modify your own speaker panel), Pinball INC has them.
https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=125&limit=100

looks like out of stock but if someone else spots it in stock elsewhere please let us know. thanks

#8453 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yea would like one of them also

Hey Will, looks like Marco Specialties has them.

#8454 2 years ago

Does anyone have plans to make replicas of a Williams cabinet?

I have access to a a really good cabinet maker with a CNC machine and would like to make replicas, and by this I mean and exact replica of a Williams cabinet.

Please if you could steer me in the right direction as I can see this forum has had very talented people showcasing their restorations, I thought it would be worthwhile to ask.

Once I get the plans, I would like to share this with the person who would be making these - I am contemplating making 3 or 4 at the same time, once I have an estimated cost and that is doable/cost effective.

If there are no plans available then the only option would be to make a copy by taking measurements of everything, which should not be difficult but it could add inaccuracies, specially for the pivot-slide mechanism of the playfield

Thanks in advance.

#8457 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

There are several sources around the internet. Depending upon what you want to do... Widebody vs. Standard... When I restored my machine I took some measurements.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLICVda2LpasJScRCjdIRqrqWC1z8ybZ/view?usp=sharing

Thank you this is really helpful. There are some parts that confuse me a bit but I think I understand most of it.
How did you measure the locations for the pivot/slide bracket for the PF?

#8459 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Those numbers I didn’t record

hehe, it happens.

I am wondering if these should be installed before or after the cab is assembled...

#8461 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

From what I understand, most cabinet makers do not drill them. It is usually something that is done as a second operation prior to populating the cabinet. Simply because there are some variations in slide and pivot assemblies.

mmmh, do you know how are these installed? I presume they use a jig of some sort to ensure they are parallel to both sides?

#8464 2 years ago

Use a long drywall square to measure the old cabinet hole locations.
Measure from the front, not the back.
Use forstner bits to drill holes.
Outside first and then the inside when the tip of the bit appears.
Use a drill guide to drill straight holes.

I have a drywall square and I thought about it, It is probably the best approach.

Why not measuring from the back?

#8468 2 years ago

Does anybody know if there are remakes of the PF lamp board, particularly the big one in the centre? I know Marco Specialties has the the small lamp boards (3 lamps) wondering if there is anybody remaking these?
The lamp board part number is #A-16716-2

Thank you

#8478 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

I will be doing a run of lamp boards and wire harness' for ij this year.

looking forward to this, if you have a list please add my name to it. I have already contacted you by email a couple of days ago.
thanks!

#8487 2 years ago

Has anyone tried these decals:

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/indiana-jones-cabinet-decals.html

I like the idea of having close to original as possible, with that said, Radcals sounds like a good idea, maybe more practical, but has anyone tried those too? I am looking for a honest review of both rather than a biased answer based on what you have....

#8490 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Go check out HEP thread… he’s done both decal and Radcal. There are also several threads on both methods floating around here. You’ll probably always get some sort of bias because you are dealing with individuals doing individual restorations to their particular tastes.

Thank you, I am not sure wha you meant with HEP thread... what is that...

#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from BurnDizzyBurn:

The red is VERY RED there is no gloss layer leaving the decals Matt and the black has ink lines in places. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for these,
are you happy with them?
when you say ink lines on the black, I presume this is a defect? are these very noticeable?

#8502 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

They're visible on the right hand side of the first pic, but hard to spot it the last pic which is more of distant shot - so probably comes down to personal preference as to whether that's an issue or not.

I presume these are not screen printed (or whatever method was used on the originals) are they? Sorry if this is an obvious question...

which leads me to the next question, are these or radicals the only options available?

#8508 2 years ago

dammit I do not like the look of these reproductions, I guess they are ok, but If I was going through the trouble of restoring the cab I would want solid colors and not printing lines...

Does anyone have pics handy of what radicals look like? Even though they might seem somewhat 'artificial and glossy' if the printing and detail is better, I might just go that route.

#8515 2 years ago

Thank you Ricochet and Kerry_Richard

what an awesome bunch of people in this thread, thank you so much.

#8523 2 years ago

Agreed, I think Mirco's decals and radicals are very nice.

I am wondering what the installation of radicals look like, I feel like if you need to cut the edges to match the cabinet edge, it will be harder with the radicals of course having a properly sized cab and properly prepped wood, etc would amplify the margin for any errors...

I need to watch more videos on proper decal installation, I think it is almost always needed to trim the edges?

#8535 2 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

I still have the bill of sale from mine. Everybody ready to feel terrible? I paid $2560 for mine waaaay back in 2001.

this is like being a first time home owner and seeing the prices just go up and up while on the sidelines convincing yourself the pricess will go back down because 'the bubble' will burst... you are just pricing yourself out of ever owning something.

That also seems to apply to this hobby too and collectibles in general. Especially when the numbers on games decline due to being sold overseas, restored, imported, exported, etc.

In other words, I think prices will never come down.

#8542 2 years ago

some elbow grease and you made some $ there.

#8549 2 years ago

this is a very cool group of pinballers! I love reading everybody's posts here, lots of positivity.

On that note, I received my IJ yesterday. Lots to work on and improve on, will need to tune the path of adventure, something is not right and I am also needing to rebuild the flippers and can't play much until that happens first.

On that note, any objections of using Plywood for the base of the cabinet rather than MDF? I presume Williams went the pdf route back in the day to save $ on wood.
I have access to a CNC machine and it is looking like I will be able to pre cut these cabinets and assembling at home and I was thinking of doing all Plywood.
Do MDF bottom or upgrade and go full PLY? what do you guys say? is it sacrilegious to go full ply?

#8559 2 years ago

is there a sticky somewhere here on this thread with how to properly adjust the POA? Mine is not working properly and have not started diagnosing yet because I am a bit lost.

If there are no stickies on this thread, I am not sure who has the authority to create them, but since I will be working on my IJ for the next few months I can start gathering these and make stickies if given permissions. Not sure if I am allowed and maybe only the original poster can do it?

#8580 2 years ago

Oddly there is very little or no adjustment on the POA.
If everything is in order and there is no slop in the gearbox the motor isnt blown and the motor shaft isnt worn crooked and the opto interrupter isnt loose or also worn crooked, everything lines up and functions petfectly.
All of the "fixes" that people post are to try to compensate for worn out parts.
There were no washers installed under support brackets from the factory etc.
Each IJ i have had didn't work right or was unreliable until i broke down and replaced all the worn out parts and defective boards.
Fully rebuilt the POA is quick, responsive and fun.
The POA wont work reliably until its rebuilt.
So, patch it up with weird operator hacks, or restore it.
Its your $10,000 game, think along the lines of restoration these days.
This includes pop bumpers, flipper mechs, idol rotors, drop targets and slings, as well as new coil sleeves and plungers across the whole game.
30 years is a long time to run without some restoration.
Put new parts in and completely rebuild these systems.
You will be much happier with the results.
It takes the same amount of time to clean and inspect a part as it does to replace it.
If you want a game to play like new, put in new parts.

definitely interested in replacing all parts as needed, already have an extra motor that is NOS, never used but it has some corrosion on it. I am planning on opening it up and cleaning the gears, the shaft, and relubricate and close it up.

So replace the motor and the OPTO interruptor and that is it?
Who sells this part?

#8622 2 years ago

Made some headway on my IJ this week.

Flippers assys, tumbled, polished, one overheated coil replaced, all rewired and extended, made color coded cables matching the manual and added molex to both the EOS and Coils to simplify the upcoming PF swap.
Flippers are strong and work like a charm now.

Some pics of before and after. The assys were disgustingly dirty and one was bent and had to be replaced.

Also a pic of myself testing my crimps with a 20lbs dumbell hanging off a freshly crimp molex connector. This crimp will take more than 20lbs weight. I have also tested 0.062 with the same ‘highly scientific’ test and both crimps take 20lbs weight. I’ll take that!
I am using micro molex for the eos for now and those take up to 10lbs no prob.

I like to use crimps whenerver possible, I findt these very reliable and never had issues.

It took some testing To get to that kind of ‘grip’, whenever I use new crimps I always test the crimp strenght and it never is great off the bat and requires tuning the crimper to a specific torque. It takes me about 10 connectors to get one right, meaning I run 10 tests on spare cable before settling on a crimp. Once I figure this out I document it for later use.

Nerd!!!

Next.

All metals inside the game were polished (I have replacement that are NOS but need work so will work on those later and use these for now.

Path of adventure.
It adjusted, very easy to figure out, just need to remove the motor to clean and lubricate, just have not figured out how to remove it yet but looks like it is held from within the PF?
Please if anyone can help here let me know so I dont waste time re inventing the wheel.

This game will get a new cab I think.
New PF, etc. Decals are orig and are 95% I think, but inside the cab is dirty and dusty, also somebody sprayed some sort of lube that leached onto the bottom panel and it is stained (minor).

I might start a thread for it once I get going, for now I am just focusing on get to play well and debug it.

Sorry for the derail. Love this game! Probably the best pin ever made!
0AE73E69-376A-4826-B040-4995132AF066 (resized).jpeg0AE73E69-376A-4826-B040-4995132AF066 (resized).jpeg16127109-FFA8-4A52-B4C6-AECF46F0680D (resized).jpeg16127109-FFA8-4A52-B4C6-AECF46F0680D (resized).jpeg5FAC76D1-5160-4975-92F2-22DEF20AAC2D (resized).jpeg5FAC76D1-5160-4975-92F2-22DEF20AAC2D (resized).jpeg601F19E6-FA99-449C-B3B1-CCE54A6D038A (resized).jpeg601F19E6-FA99-449C-B3B1-CCE54A6D038A (resized).jpeg694B8BB2-CE00-47AE-8E80-3CA7650372BF (resized).jpeg694B8BB2-CE00-47AE-8E80-3CA7650372BF (resized).jpeg

#8623 2 years ago

Just for giggles, haha… this is what a connector looks like after 20lbs. Crimp
Is intact.

Also a pic of my micro crimps. Devil
Is in the details!

Sorry for the derail!

Please help me with the POA motor removal instructions

2922668E-111D-4384-B9E7-59795C9335FE (resized).jpeg2922668E-111D-4384-B9E7-59795C9335FE (resized).jpeg4B5CD47E-2F43-425D-85F8-DB0FBF1884DC (resized).jpeg4B5CD47E-2F43-425D-85F8-DB0FBF1884DC (resized).jpegB81DFE60-A0CC-4C3D-AC41-63D6C89B1C7B (resized).jpegB81DFE60-A0CC-4C3D-AC41-63D6C89B1C7B (resized).jpegEBB7DA50-C158-481F-994E-9B9350865E4E (resized).jpegEBB7DA50-C158-481F-994E-9B9350865E4E (resized).jpeg
#8625 2 years ago

Atfet you remove the POA, remove the opto interrupter and the 4 screws to the gearbox.
Remove the opto board to gain clearance.
The motor/gearbox assembly mounts from the rear of the playfield backboard.
Its plugged into the small motor driver board under the playfield.
Unplug it first.
Everything comes out pretty easy.
The hardest thing might be loosening the set screw for the opto interrupter.
Sometimes they are rusted on or molested.

I got that one loose last night. It had never been touched before it seemed, it was solid but a bit of torque cracked the thread locking off (green). Set screw was unmolested.

Perfect, thanks for this, will take a look later tonight.

#8637 2 years ago

Lol.
Not sure why are you guys so afraid of the POA because I have worked on some sterns, and I yet to find a Williams that is as bad or finicky. I dont find Indy very difficult yet.

I recently owned a Stranger Things Premium and that Telekinesis diverter gimmick makes the POA look like childs play.
Poor design and lazy engineering is an understatement in that Stern.

All that to say, I got mine running flawlessly, but I am the minority I think.

Like really the poa is 8 screws with no adjustments. There is nothing to worry about here really.
I did it for the first time yesterday and I was a bit surprised of how simple it was.

I might find some issues soon I am sure, I nust need to see how worn parts are. Will take a better look next time. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

If you still worry just own a Stern ST premium for 1 month and then report back. Lololol

#8652 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The thing with the POA is it is notorious as the broken or janky part of the game if you play it on location. So you finally own one and it's all working and the very last thing you want to do is break it!
At least that's the anxiety I felt until I finally had to change it and realized it was pretty simple.

This!
Also, To be honest you guys in this thread had a bit concern about the poa before getting my game because all I read here were bad news.
Lo and behold, this thing seems easy to work on and the only reason why it would not work properly is neglect it seems.

I cant wait to keep working on the game.
I am jelous of some of the restos I have seen here and I want that for my game

Question about Mirco pf.
Anybody here got one? Is it going to chip off and bubble like GNR pfs?

I have heard of people sanding the clear off and reclearing.
Is the chipping inevitable ???

I got a spare pf at hand, it is NOS but it is bowed and I do not have high hopes that it will flatten but I can try.

true story/sad story…I bought this game sight unseen mostly because of the nos pf…

let me know if anybody here has experience flattening a pf.

The pf has is near mint otherwise which is a shame.

I have more questions but I am trying to not flood the thread with stuff.

Thanks in advance!

#8656 2 years ago

Bowed playfields aren't too big a deal.
Set it on a couple sawhorses and put weight on it for a couple weeks until it flattens out. Put as much weight as it takes to slightly reverse bend it. I use a piece of carpet and old disk brake disks. Weight from a weight lifting set is also good.
Slight bowing is natural as the clear shrinks on one side and not the other, it will flatten out in the game after the playfield is populated and set in the game.
Reese rails are popular as they are hard oak and tend the flatten the playfield.
If you have the means you can also just make your own too.
The original siderails are too soft to effectively flatten the playfield and keep it flat.
A twist is another problem that is difficult to fix.
I have had great success with reverse twisting a bad playfield in a rotisserie with weights and string applying torque.
It took 2 months to flatten out but it worked.
In most cases the warps and bowing can be corrected it just takes time.
Dont apply heat, it does more harm than good.

Thanks for this, this is what I was thinking as well.
The pf has some twist that is easily corrected as I apply weight on the pf with my hand so I am assuming it will be corrected on its own?

As for the bow, it is perpendicular to the player or in other words, it is from right to left, (shortest side of the pf), And the bow seems to be very consistent top to bottom but a little worse right in the center.
I used a straight edge to check, nothing overly scientific.

I will make my own rails, out of purple wood that I have have had drying for almost 2 years now.
The ones in the game are ok but what the heck let’s get some good rails in there.
I might just get reese’s rails if time is an issue, but I should be ok.

510D8C67-8F3B-4692-915F-EDFC1AED0E66 (resized).jpeg510D8C67-8F3B-4692-915F-EDFC1AED0E66 (resized).jpeg64FA3B61-730B-47EE-8249-1B5329B59A5B (resized).jpeg64FA3B61-730B-47EE-8249-1B5329B59A5B (resized).jpeg
#8658 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Have you reached out to Kruzman and see if he can advise too? I’m sure he’s dealt with this many times.

I did actually. I will decide to send this off only when/if I get it straight first.

#8661 2 years ago

Sorry to hear.
I dont think I would do a pf swap and risk that. I guess I would just send it off to have it reclear.

#8667 2 years ago

That is a very long curing time and I suspect it isnt guaranteed to work… which it could turn into a lot of wasted time to find out it is still pooling after 10 months.

I suspect the clear quality is different du to some restrictions to the type of chemicals available in germany…?

#8673 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Basement:

I'm looking for the playfield back panel, the wood piece the lost plastic goes on. Does anyone have this for sale.

If you still have the original you can easily make one. It is just a piece of plywood with a couple cutouts.
With that said, up until recently, somebody was selling an acrylic version of this on pinside but I do not see the ad anymore, I presume it expired. This person makes these and sells them and I believe Ricochet has one installed in his IJ.
The benefit of the acrylic piece, I think, is that allow you to illuminate the 'lost' plastic from behind the panel?...

With that said, who sells new aprons for IJ?

#8676 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I installed it within a couple months of getting it. I don't know if Mirco's clearcoat hardens over time if I waited longer. It must be the way it's formulated that is causing this issue, I remember someone saying Mirco was working on a reformula. I used Spraymax 2K clearcoat on my original playfield and I don't see any pooling at all, and I didn't wait 6 months to install it. That Spraymax both works and looks very nice.

did you use Spraymax in the rattle can?

#8678 2 years ago

Yes, Its pretty slick stuff. Easy to use and you dont need any equipment other than standard PPE as its just as hazarous as any cyanide based paint.
Easy to apply and dries hard with noticable die back in about 10 weeks.
Assembly hardness in about 4 to 6 weeks.
All in all its on par with most automotive clearcoat finishes.

wow that is a game changer. I was ready to buy expensive equipment to clear coat my PF, small compressor, paint sprayer gun, etc...
How long does the can lasts once it is activated?

#8680 2 years ago

They say 24 hours but the process on a playfield leaves little unused paint.
It takes 3 to 4 cans and 3 or 4 days to do it.
Theres tons said about it in the spraymax thead.
Ive used it many times and really like the perfect results.
At the most maybe 1/2 a can gets wasted.

I just happened to stumble on that thread. thanks

#8683 2 years ago

Have lots of experience spraying, not worried about that.
It is mostly having/not having the proper space and tools that will most likely see a 1 time use.

I do intend to repaint my kitchen cabinetry so might as well aim for that and have a excuse to set up an improviser booth at home

#8698 2 years ago

it seems like I am having an issue with the right flipper.

This coil had to be replaced as it was overheated and swollen and had to be replaced.

However, even with the new coil I noticed the following:

It seems to have a bit less holding power than the left
If I touch the coil, I can feel the current going through it (it sounds stupid but I feel whatever this is, magnetism? no idea, the magnetic field or the current but this is not noticeable on the left flipper.

The holding power is ok, but if a ball comes down at speed I get a micro flip and a huge bounce off the right flipper.

The right coil heats up a lot faster than the left, when on hold. In fact, the left shows no signs of heat when on hold.

EOS is new and adjusted properly, also working on switch test.

The left coil does not have these issues however holding power seems to be about the same and micro flips are not noticeable during play.

last but not least, I tested the right coil WIRED TO the left flipper and the results are the same as described above.

Bad new coil?

#8699 2 years ago

double tap by mistake! sorry

#8702 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies, as mentioned, the right coil behaves the same way when wired to the left side. That I think eliminates any possibilities of a board issue.

In test mode I noticed the coil does not lift on its own ( IN HOLD TEST ) unless I help it by hand a little.
There is no mechanical interference, the plunger moves freely inside the sleeve, the spring is new in both flipper and it is not overly strong. Everything seems normal there.

In test, the EOS works and I do not think is an issue in this fliptronics era, like it was in Sys11 games.

The other coil lifts on its own (in hold test), and it does not show any issues. Both flippers were rebuilt at the exact time.

#8706 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

have you checked the resistance of the coils - should be 4 and 133 Ohms for the 2 windings

My Fluke 87 says 4.5 at power and 125.3 at hold

Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Post pics of both assembly’s. Also did you properly gap both?

what gap? Eos gap? They seem to be perfectly set up engaging at 95% of the end of the stroke.

#8708 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Hhmm the hold seems a little less than what I'd expect. How'd that compare to the other flipper coil?

the other is at 129.6

#8715 2 years ago

This is a huge red flag.
Check and recheck the assembly and the gap between the flipper bat and the bushing on the topside of the playfield.
The flipper plunger, link and pawl should be basically inline, with the bat about 3/32" above the flipper bushing.
Check for cracked bushing. This causes binding under power.
Binding causes heat build up and weak performance.

just to clarify, it does not lift when the hold test is being done. The left does, but barely.
Nonetheless, if I give a little help with my hand (this is minimal, as in a VERY gently push) the flipper lifts on its own.

During gameplay holds seems almost equal on both (I have manually tested).

There is not any mechanically wrong, I think, all parts are new including the bushings. nothing is rubbing anywhere. I checked, double check, triple check.

I am guessing this is simply a bad coil? weird thing is I feel the coil drawing power when I touch it whereas the other coil does not have that HUMMM to it.

#8723 2 years ago

Doesn’t sound like you gapped it. Doesn’t seem like a big deal but it’s critical. My IJ specifically had issues with 1 flipper because of the play/gap. Here is a pic of the tool and gap. Also as part of rebuilding the flippers I always replace the bushings
[quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry bud, it is gapped. I used that tool exactly to do it.

It shoudnt hum.
Weak connection somewhere.
Driver board or fliptronics board weirdness.
Replace the fliptronics board if you have a spare and see if it persists

Well, I wired it to the other side and it does the same…
I presume that removes any concerns with the boards

#8726 2 years ago

Flipper issue seems solved.
Only time I get I ghost micro flip is when the ball comes back full force from the top of the right ramp, I presume this is normal for this era games? Try it in yours: drop the ball from very top of the right ramp and let the ball land on the right flipper on hold.
My left does the same however it rarely gets hit by a ball like this.

I presume this is just a game nuance. The flippers work great otherwise and the hold is perfect in any other situation.

The humming is gone and it was due to a 0.5 mm gap in between the coil stop and the plunger. It did look like nothing but it was the only thing that came to mind.
In other words the coil had a small wiggle side to side, with that gone, humming gone as well. A new flipper assy was installed to fix this as the other one would not allow to close the gap regardless of what I did the front and rear bracket. All that to say: if a coil seats loose on the assy, get rid of the assy!

#8728 2 years ago

When rebuilding flipper mechs the coils should be tight against the coil stops.
If loose, bend the stop toward the coil. Use a vice or hammer on the ground.
Squeeze the stop firmly against the coil when installing.
Both the upper bracket and coil stop often need adjusting.
Loose coils rob the assembly of power. Much like swinging a cracked baseball bat.

yup, I did try bending the stop a bit but it did not do much difference as the assembly was slightly off. I had another assy to switch out with and that was easier than trying to adjust this one.
No pushing by hand was enough to get it closer.
Interesting lesson learned.

#8729 2 years ago

I am still curious to know if dropping a ball from the top of the right ramp would trigger a micro flip on your flippers.
Please let me know if someone can try.

#8730 2 years ago

new issue detected, sorry, this is going to be ongoing, please advise if I need to take this to a different subforum (tech?)

When pressing the left flipper button, it seems it is triggering 'gun trigger switch' and it shoots a ball.

I do not know yet how to diagnose the switch matrix, I understand these 'somewhat'... but quickly got confused when looking at the matrix on the manual and following the cables supposedly daisy chained...

Now at a quick glance I can see the Flipper OPTO and the GUN trigger are on the same row, however, the OPTO is dedicated... I do not know enough to read this.

Can someone give me a hand?

#8736 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Not sure what you mean by micro flip, but what can happen is a ball with enough force will push back on a flipper that is being held up. If you don't drop or catch and just hold it will probably look like a "micro flip". It's perfectly normal.

Yeah exactly, it is just more notorious than in my other games so at first I thought there was something wrong.
Will check the settings about the shooter, thanks for the tip. Weird thing is that it is intermittent and the error report said to check switch 34 (shooter)

#8737 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

As FlippyD stated that is normal and is the main function of the EOS switch in fliptronics games, as it will re-energise the power side of the coil if a fast moving ball strikes the bat and makes it fall to a point that the EOS re-opens. Note that de-energising the power side of the coil is controlled by fliptronics board when either the EOS closes or around 90ms (whichever occurs first).

So would it be recommended to activate the eos as late as possible then? If it pretty much at the end now, might have a tiny bit more room to give.

#8740 2 years ago

perfect, thanks Manny. I double checked my previous work and it was all set up correctly, EOS activating at the very end and only by adjusting the smaller tab. I had forgotten that the leaf adjuster are exactly 1/16" at the tip so you can precisely measure the gap in between contacts! haha I totally forgot about this until I was checking the distance in between them just now.

#8741 2 years ago

Manny65 do you know why the tilt bob goes onto the coin door board instead of going to the CPU as per the matrix map?

I am trying to learn how to read these and I understand the matrix is just daisy chained in between columns and rows but I do not understand why the coin door is not mentioned and the tilt bob goes onto the board but in the matrix it says that it goes to the CPU...
What am I missing?

#8743 2 years ago

How would I distinguish a dedicated switch when looking at the manual?
I am trying to learn how to read these.

The tilt bob is part of row 4 so I am confused

Are all other switches just daisy chained starting at the cpu?

#8745 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]

sorry, I dont want to be rude. I did see this page in the manual.

Can someone explain why the tilt bob does not go to the cpu, instead it goes to the coin door which is marked as row 4 in the connector.
Another member here stated it was a dedicated switch, however, the titl bob is not listed as a dedicated switch… hence, my confusion.

Thanks

#8753 2 years ago
Quoted from Joost996me:

One more installed. Easy to do, no need to remove the back bridge. Very functional fix.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I need to resolve mine, it is very frustrating.
Reject is 50/50 or more and eject is random and weak, drives me nutz. Been playing the game by avoiding modes because there is a big chance of draining after ejection, and it can randomly go to the left outlane or often sdtm…

How is the scoup supposed to work under normal operation? I dont remember it being so shitty back in the day. Is the culprit a bad coil or weak arm? Or what.

Someone please, Send some vids of a normal scoop in action please

#8756 2 years ago

I am on the list for one. Will definitely get one when it’s my turn.

How fast should the ball be ejected off the scoup? I find the ejection a bit weak? Is it normal?

#8760 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Weird issue, my gun trigger on Indiana Jones now registers as closed when the switch is NOT depressed and open when the trigger is depressed. Took the gun apart and there is nothing obstructing the switch and it registers closed when its open.
Anyone ever see this before? By the way ball launches withough issue when I pull the trigger, I noticed this in choose wisely mode it automatically selects without giving me a chance.

I had this issue last week, and it turned out it was the out lane switch in front of the gun shorting. It would think a ball is sitting there and it automatically by programming triggers the gun.
I am not sure if this is your issue, it might be something else on the matrix ghosting the trigger, however, I do not think so because it is happening during a mode when no ball is in play...
Looking at the switch on the lane might be worth a shot.

#8766 2 years ago

are the planes still being made and sold? I would be interested!

#8788 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

It wasnt the outlane switch, I put a new diode and switch in the gun, didnt change anything. I guess I have to look what else on the green-orange matrix could be causing it.

The shooter lane, not the outlane…
Did you check that switch?

If you are getting the gun trigger inside a mode, when there are no balls on the playfield, there is nothing triggering the switches to cause a ghost switch…?

in other words I suspect a short is causing it and the only switch that comes to mind is the shooter lane switch.

Unless another switch is stuck/closed?

#8790 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I did check the shooter lane switch. However, I reviewed the switch matrix and noticed there are switches in column 4 that are not supposed to be registered as closed either.
[quoted image]

some of those switches are always closed, mine is like that too, which ones are you referring to?... were you pulling the trigger when you took this pic?

#8792 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thanks for your help.
I was NOT pulling the trigger.
I dont believe the following should be registering as closed.
Column 4 Row1 Left Ramp Enter
Column 4 Row 2 Right Ramp Enter
Column 4 Row 3 Top Idol Enter
Column 4 Row 4 Right Popper

no worries, I am still learning how to read the matrix and been studying it, so helping you also helps me to learn more about it I hope we can figure it out.
I will check mine and compare it to yours. if the trigger isn't pressed I think it looks like it is closed on the test, I will check mine.

#8795 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I found this very helpful..

Yup that one is a good one, I had seen it last week, it does a good job and It tells you when you have a ghost switch.

I still do not understand the diode function here as in the diagram, the flow of the diode is the opposite as to what is suggested in the vid.

Nonetheless the theory about ghost switches is clear.

I have not had time to look at the game yet.
Is your trigger switch always showing as closed when in test?

#8797 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Yes always closed until I pull the trigger than its open.

That is not how the trigger works I think it is open, then closed when pulling the trigger.

If it is always active or ‘closed’ in the switch test then that is the problem.

When testing, The square for the trigger should only be visible when the trigger is pulled/closed.

#8815 2 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

It often comes up that replacement aprons are hard to find for Indy and other widebodies. Somebody recently pointed me to a French pinball forum that shared these custom jobbies from a few years ago.
Anybody seen these before? Have we discussed these here in the past? Maybe not my style, but a neat idea. Especially if you can't find an original apron
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Take my money!! Where do I find these???
If not, how can we make aprons? Let’s make a group buy???

With that said, I am making myself a pin2dmd screen following the instructions on pin2dmd, ordering the boards, etc. This is the real deal no half attempt.
Any interest for a group buy of pin2dmd screens? I am in Canada btw.
I could build them and sell them here? Just want to gauge interest.

#8821 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I did check the shooter lane switch. However, I reviewed the switch matrix and noticed there are switches in column 4 that are not supposed to be registered as closed either.
[quoted image]

HarryReimer how did it go with this? the trigger switch should not be closed all the time when the trigger is not being pulled. Did you check your trigger assembly to make sure the switch is installed correctly?

#8827 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Not on the mini playfield, the opto board to determine the position of the mini playfield. [quoted image]

Quoted from HarryReimer:

Not on the mini playfield, the opto board to determine the position of the mini playfield. [quoted image]

those are not the optos shown on the switch matrix that you are referring to. Those are the hole optos.
The board shown above is Column 9 (mini pf left and right) and the mini pf switch is Column 7 in always closed are the holes in the PF. You have no issues there.

However, because you mentioned the trigger gets 'closed' when no ball is in gameplay, I would also check the connections at the CPU board. The gun trigger is J209. Check for any damage on the cpu board, pay attention to your batteries. Are they leaking onto the board?

Often, VERY often , these issues are caused by the most obvious reasons...

Battery acid will leech onto the board and often also corrode the connectors, these will cause switches to randomly go on/off. Ask me how I know It might be all good really, but you must check this now.

I would also recommend that you watch the video on how to diagnose the matrix again, draw your squares and rectangles based on the information you collect and see if you have a shorted diode.

If you are referring to the PF left right, then you might have an issue with the diodes on that board. It kind of makes sense if you draw a rectangle here you might have to check the diodes the diodes for the optos for switches 94-95-34.

Maybe you can easily disconnect the opto board for the MINI PF and see if that makes the GUN TRIGGER to become open?

thinking out loud here.

#8830 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thanks again for your help, Im referring to Column 9 row 4 and 5 (mini playfield limit) no matter what I do playfiled right limit is closed. But the playfield works perfect in game.
[quoted image]

could you upload a pic or video, whatever is easier of what you are seeing?

#8832 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I put a coin battery on the CPU and prior to that I had remote battery holder on there. So no acid on the board. The picture below is what Im seeing... The gun handle is NOT being activated here. The only switches besides that one that appears suspect is row 9 column 5 and the two below are unused? are they activated by default? does the switch matrix look this in your game?
[quoted image]

That is not ROW 9, I believe what you are confusing Row 9 with is the dedicated switches column. The closed switches you are seeing are the Centre drop down target, which are closed because the stand up targets (idol) are up. Row 9 does not show in the switch matrix TEST as these are controlled by different boards I believe (still figuring this part out) but I am certain that, that is not row 9.

The gun trigger is showing as closed, that means there is a problem with one of the diodes. Have you manually switched open column 4 to see if the gun trigger is released? one of the always closed switches might be at fault as explained in the video.

The gun trigger must not be CLOSED at all times, only when the trigger is pulled. With that said, what happens when you pull the trigger?

#8834 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

How would I manually switch open the whole row? I did trigger each switch independently in that row I saw no anomalies. Oddly, the gun trigger works as normal in every aspect except choose wisely.. I dont even know how it is working. The gun trigger will launch the ball. If that is not row 9 I wonder what those switches are.. Thanks agian.

Do you have the manual? I recommend you get it if you do not. It can be download free online.
Page 3-2, please look at the switch matrix and familiarize with it, and you will see ROW 9 is not shown in test.

The optos for Row 9 have their own testing within the menu and that is for the mini PF and the Idol and these switches are not tested from the matrix test.

If you do not want to believe me, simply go into TEST and push the drop down targets down. Then report back

I am not sure why row 9 is shown as part of the matrix in the manual, but it is not shown in the test. Maybe someone else can explain this.

You need to figure out why the trigger shows as closed on TEST, it should not. Here is a pic of my test matrix and you can see the trigger is not closed, unless you pull the trigger.
IMG_6356 (resized).jpegIMG_6356 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-08-16 at 12.58.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-08-16 at 12.58.41 PM (resized).png

#8837 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Thanks for the help. I dont see any glaring issues with the matrix after seeing yours.... Ill keep digging.

Sorry I am very confused.
you do have a glaring issue, the gun switch is CLOSED in your matrix when you are not pulling the trigger and it should not be.

#8838 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Your ‘A’ and ‘V’ are stuck on.
Are all your pinballs in the trough? Your matrix is showing missing balls at locations 4-6

possibly he took the picture with the PF in service position and that would affect the location of the ball in through?

#8844 2 years ago

make sure the diode is oriented properly as well.

#8846 2 years ago

I dont want to say 'I told you so'.... but....

#8867 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Anyone ever figure out where this apron came from? Would really like to add something like this..
[quoted image]

It was posted in a forum, in france, many years ago. Most likely a small run made by a pinballer there.

We need to come up with something and get these made? Anybody with connections to have these fabricated?

#8868 2 years ago

Well, my poa bridge driver board went Kaput.

It looks like it has seen better days. It has been repaired before by a blind operator or while taking a ride on a rollercoaster?

Anyway, capacitor C3 leaked all over the board and some components. Cleaned with alcohol.

Is it worth repairing it or should I just get a new board? I get the feeling it might be repairable but maybe it is time for a new board?

#8872 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

There is an Italian guy who is manufacturing some very very nice metal aprons, here's mine for Indy, but he also has quite a few other models (TZ, Creature, etc). They are illuminated from below
His name is Alessandro Cacciola, I contacted him through Facebook
He's also building custom siderails and hinges, and he can do different material (chrome plating, powdered)
[quoted image]

I WANT THIS!

#8876 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

There is an Italian guy who is manufacturing some very very nice metal aprons, here's mine for Indy, but he also has quite a few other models (TZ, Creature, etc). They are illuminated from below
His name is Alessandro Cacciola, I contacted him through Facebook
He's also building custom siderails and hinges, and he can do different material (chrome plating, powdered)
[quoted image]

I like it, it looks cool however, I would be concerned that is the apron might bend after continuously pulling it up, it has too many cutouts and Indiana Jones horseback riding is held to the apron by two tiny pieces of metal by the horse hoofs... maybe I am over thinking it, but I would probably skip the lights and the cutouts for just laser embossing and maybe have that painted instead?

It is beautiful no doubt, but I am worried about the longevity of it.
I sent this person a message on FB but there are SEVERAL people with the same name in Italy. I chose the one with pinball machines on his photos, lol, so I might have gotten the right one.

will see what he says, maybe he has different options/designs.

1 week later
#8895 2 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

...is it plastic in the meantime?
I got a version with, i would descripe it as foil, and it sags a bit.
So do you have an upgrade for it?

curious about this!
Also, another mod. I had mentioned it a few posts ago:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/62016

#8903 2 years ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

Hi guys,
Hope everyone’s well.
Just had this issue popping out of the blue after a long game last night, first time i’ve seen this:
From time to time (often but not always) when the ball rolls over the I-N-D-Y switches and/or hits the pop bumpers, then the drop down target on the far right (the one indeed sitting next to the pops) goes down as if it had been hit by the ball. Counts as a target hit.
I checked underneath the playfield for cables touching eachother in a way that there could be some interferences between those but cant seem to find anything.
Any thoughts or ideas about where this may come from and how to solve the problem?
Cheers pinheads

I was thinking a matrix issue but then you said 'sometimes and not always', so it could be anything in the realm of pinball, lol...
I would do a quick switch test on that area and see if you can replicate the issue, take a look at the map on the screen and see if you see switch 11 close up when you are manually activating the others.

#8907 2 years ago

mmmh, how is the connector at the CPU?

#8910 2 years ago

a friend suggested to me that the Pop Bumpers' vibrations (when hit by the ball) could maybe cause the drop target to drop down if it is too "sensitive"... ?

yes but why is it dropping when going over the roll over.

well, I mean the connectors all look fine at the CPU board... do you think it may come from up there?

if the connector is corroded, if could cause issues like this. check the connector, if the actual metal connector is green (inside the molex and not the actual female connector on the board), it is corroded. you will need to get close up to see it.

Next, with the game in test, give power to the solenoids (with your door switch pressed on) and throw a ball to replicate the issues and tells us what you see.

#8915 2 years ago

wondering what kind of difference is lighting can you achieve in this game with the GI board?
I do not remember the game with incandescents, because I played with those 30 years ago, lol... and it was also pretty bright in the arcade I played it so I never got to see the light effects...

I have LEDs in my game now, and the flashers ... well... I dont remember the game flashing like that, so I am wondering if this is because it is supposed to pulse rather than flashing? the backbox is also all LED and it is a disco in there now...

Very curious to see if this can be improved.

#8921 2 years ago

I lowererd the pitch to 6 degrees or less to make the game more playable.
Now i can make the right ramp and control the POA.

I am over 6.5 degrees and have no problems making the ramp... it fact, I make the ramp very comfortably.
My flippers are new but before that with really bad flippers I could still make the ramp well.
I am wondering if you might have the EOS engaging a little bit too soon and losing flipper power...?

#8925 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

pinballinreno: just curious, where do you measure your 6.0 degrees angle from: between the flippers or at the middle of the table by the drop targets?
I’ve read many players measure the pitch from different areas of the pf.
I typically use a digital level.
Thanks!

I use an angle finder, one of those to set up a table saw. I find a graphic on the PF that is square with the side, usually just above the flippers and set up all my games for 6.5/6.7 degrees. anything else is too slow for me.

#8928 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

All things worth looking at. I just didn't want to try and solve a "problem" that was actually typical game play. I'll probably just rebuild the flippers with new coils. Might as well start ownership with a fresh set.

unless the sleeve is tight inside the coil you do not need a new coil, you might need everything else new but not the coil. Sometimes I change them out if the previous owner had the soldering skills of a chimpanzee and are unsightly, my OCD does not allow me to sleep at night knowing I have that under the PF...but otherwise, just rebuild - keep the coils.

#8933 2 years ago

I find Indy has to be perfect. Centered of course before adjusting POA or you’ll be doing it again. I also find 6.5 on the money for several reasons. For me, The POA drop skips if it’s lower than 6.5. The outer orbit hits the slings if too low as well, shot needs some speed. 7.0 affects your ability to hit the big ramp. At 6.5, POA drops work great, Outer orbit can be hit multiple times in a row, and ramp is doable

I had to bend the bridge for the ball to drop consistently into the poa. It would sometimes skip it otherwise.

#8935 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

This is a good post. The only thing I would add is that there are so many factors at play that once you find a spot for the machine, you will need to tune it everywhere. Once centered and at the pitch you are comfortable with, you may need to adjust your POA, and especially your outer orbit guides to get the machine fully tuned in. Then if you move the machine, just re-center it and remember the pitch you like and you shouldn't have to touch the POA and orbit guides again.

What do you mean by centered?
Do you mean levelled?

#8940 2 years ago

I find if there is too little lean, the ball will continue around the bridge ramp after the post drops. If you lift the table higher it drops fine. I’ve seen tweaks fir the bridge but prefer stock with 6.5 lean vs 6.0 and bridge tilt

mine would not fall consistently even at 6.5, so not every game will work the same in my opinion. you know, pinball...
The bridge screw ears were bent slightly in mine so it seat slightly at an angle, now it works 100% percent.

#8941 2 years ago

Score of the day

1C30F8E9-9AB1-41C6-ABA4-90AE970404E3 (resized).jpeg1C30F8E9-9AB1-41C6-ABA4-90AE970404E3 (resized).jpeg
#8942 2 years ago

Does anybody know what model are the planes mod being sold?
I just bought an airbrush and want to build my own planes and paint them but want the same planes being used on the other thread.

Ideas?

#8945 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Aren’t you asking in the wrong thread?

I just want to know what the models are so I can buy them, build them and paint them. I did not think it was appropriate to ask in the actual mod thread.

I just want to build the planes for myself and paint them myself and feel good about it.

#8947 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Probably not appropriate to make a posting about it anywhere, just my two cents. KornFreak is buying multiple material inputs, then providing a transformative service creating additional value, to come to his final product. You asking that in this forum is (in an extreme example) is like going into Coca Cola HQ and asking what syrup they use so you can make your own Cola at home. I imagine they wouldn't be rushing to provide that info to you.

I am in the Indiana Jones thread, asking what are the planes used in the mod, it could be any plane reproduction that resembles the original, does not need to be the exact same he uses. These are plane repro, these are toys for kids... please...

Plane reproductions come unpainted, disassembled, no decals, no led, no motor, nothing. Therefore:

It does not affect the service he provides I believe. Do you agree?

For those interested, this has been discussed before:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-scale-me109-plane-mod/page/2

#8949 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Very nice. Do you use the bonus ball? Everyone has their preference. I do not. Largely because it used to infuriate me as a kid that it cost a whole other game to get one ball = rip off = I did it almost every time

no I have that de-activated. All stock settings/factory.
I might need to set it up a bit harder. I did get all the extra balls throughout the game. This game has lots, and just learned yesterday that 'survive the rope bridge' give you one extra ball if you finish the mode. I got that one, the medallion, and the path of adventure AND the 8X extra ball, a lot of these were unfortunately very short balls, I got all my point in BALL 2 and the last extra BALL, so it was a 30 minute game and lucked out with the extra balls lol... I am having a hard time getting through all the modes because the mode start eject is random and something it goes straight down the middle so it works against me often, not often enough or consistently but, just enough to add another layer of 'luck' to the game.

this is the only part I need to fix, just waiting on Ricochet mod to add to the game.

#8952 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

All I was saying is that you could have asked me directly. Glad you found a nice plane

oh thanks, I will appreciate that. I only found the link to some info, at least I have a reference now.
I really did not want to post on your thread, to avoid comments as the one already posted here earlier... but I will take you on your offer and see if you can maybe direct me in a better direction.
thanks

#8954 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

You already found it!

lol, ok! good to know, thanks!

#8996 2 years ago

Yup.
I believe the thread owner can do stickies?
Or an admin?

If the former and the owner is mia we can start a new thread by copying the stuff in there.

#9010 2 years ago

What dremel bit did you use? Router?

#9014 2 years ago

No doubt! I am not trying to match what he does. Just building, painting the planes and adding leds as the originals would be enough for me.

#9026 2 years ago

this is the best thread on pinside and I have been in a few clubs... lol, this one is active and full of knowledgeable pinball enthusiasts, I was gonna say veterans but we are too young for that. lol

#9028 2 years ago

Did you ever run the mini pf rails again?

#9030 2 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

No, they were permanently discontinued. They were very messy to make from home, exceptionally time consuming, and by around then, I was working on Alice Cooper, which was a game I was excited to design for (long wait before it arrived).
Only about 17 out there (1 early gray one that has imperfections, and about 16 gold ones). I also have an unfinished set on hand I'd use if I ever get the game.

Would you share the ‘how to’ make one?

#9040 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I purchased a Jackpot Board this week from Marco and it appears all 3 LEDs were reworked to the proper orientation. I'm happy because the board works correctly as received.[quoted image]

that soldering job is cringe.

1 week later
#9049 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What are the items you need to look out for on this particular machine when making a purchase beyond normal pinball inspections?
I am going to pick up one of these on Sunday if there is nothing majorly wrong with it. From what I can see in photos the playfield looks good, minor wear in the shooter lane, no credit dot, not a reimport, and only light fading on the cabinet. Just trying to find out if there are any unobtanium highly breakable parts or spots that have major wear I should be on the lookout for. Thanks and will post pictures assuming she makes it home!

the usual William/bally inspection.

#9057 2 years ago

The proto's and sample games just have a round cutout and a #44 bulb behind it.
Nothing fancy.

so can this be easily achieved with a forstner drill bit? I might try it, otherwise, seems like a hassle.

#9066 2 years ago

The game is great, my only complain is that the MB can be easily abused to accumulate points by just focusing on the MB rather than the modes, I can see why this game would not be a good candidate for tournament due to this, other than that I love the code considering the age of the game.

#9069 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I've seen IJ used in tournament finals where going modes (to score quickly) was the better strategy over trying to survive long enough to get MB - it really depends how brutal the IJ is set up (outlanes fully open, no rubbers on the outlane or narrow escape, no ball save, no extra balls, etc), so it's a risk/reward as you have less ball control going the drop targets

Good point.
Yeah it could be very vicious it set up like that.

#9070 2 years ago

Has anyone replaced these on IJ?
Marcos seem to have both the full assy or just the gate, but I am skeptical and I think the gate alone might be challenging to replace, meaning I will need a new wire form and all the other pins that actuate the gate to fully rebuild it.

The question being, anybody with first hand experience? The gates both right and left are rusting in my game and would like to replace it them. I am ordering a few items from Marco so I figured this is a good opportunity to do these too.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17797-1

C49DDE6A-4F0F-4026-A12E-03A991866229 (resized).jpegC49DDE6A-4F0F-4026-A12E-03A991866229 (resized).jpeg
#9073 2 years ago

It just surface rust that went below the oxide finish.
Its easily sanded off then polished with fine Emory cloth.
Then cleaned with lacquer thinner and then brushed with black gun bluing. Might take a couple coats.
Heating with a hair dryer or heat gun increases the effectiveness of the compound.
I usually boil the part in water (get it to 200 degrees), dry it off with compressed air and dip it into the solution. But brushing the solution on at room temperature works well also.
When dry, coat with carnauba wax or gun oil and it will last for another 30 years.
They look better than new.
Cold bluing liquid is available at walmart and online.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIRCHWOOD-CASEY-PERMA-BLUE-LIQUID-GUN-BLUE-3-OZ/17163515

Ok I can try this, have lots of bluing left from my IPSC days a story for another day.

I thought at first the finish flaked off and it was past saving…

Wondering how hard is to disassemble this? i am afraid the wire forms might be staked to stay in place and I personally do not like to Fudge around with a part unless I can bring it back to factory spec or better.

#9080 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Hi all- took me 3 months but finally installed lao anecdote - actually not bad - great instructions BUT how do I know when the POA is on right (the Allen wrench screw thing in right place so POA is right amount forward vs backward)? Should it have a little give back girth or left right? Seems like it’s close to hitting mode hole and trying to make sure it is in perfect spot. Thank you!

levelled with the platform in front of it, where the ball exits the poa. do not use the bridge to gauge the levelness of it, the bridge is slanted.

1 week later
#9104 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Hi all I am restoring a IJ ,it's been apart for a while now and I can't seem too remember how the wires and plugs go at the transformer ,does anyone have any pics of that too help me .
Thanks

Hi Will, send me a pic of what you need to see, the general area and I will send you one tomorrow.

#9105 2 years ago

I really need an antidote in my IJ, the game is a bit frustrating sometimes when I get 8 rejects in a row to then drain...

Anybody with a spare antidote that would like to pass along?

#9108 2 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Sorry my man … my “fun life” is wrecked at the moment… My real work pulls me away every few months … ton of crap goin on. I need to get some more units out!

I know you had mentioned it to me, I hope things settle down for you soon! Hope all is well.

#9111 2 years ago

Williampinball
This is what I got there. In your game looks like somebody extended one of the harnesses?
Anyway, see if these pics help you and let me know.

1D67ED18-4CCA-40FF-A0ED-0F6384155239 (resized).jpeg1D67ED18-4CCA-40FF-A0ED-0F6384155239 (resized).jpeg9DF36503-6A3B-4D09-8F6F-18B8BAB0BF35 (resized).jpeg9DF36503-6A3B-4D09-8F6F-18B8BAB0BF35 (resized).jpegD64CF73C-0A1D-4B8F-8B06-8523F823CF6A (resized).jpegD64CF73C-0A1D-4B8F-8B06-8523F823CF6A (resized).jpeg
#9116 2 years ago

meh... I refuse!
how much longer do you think you will need before you start making more Antidotes? I refuse to try anything else.

#9122 2 years ago

that planking is very minimal, you can certainly airbrush the yellow if it is just the yellow and then clear.
If you are doing a PF swap I will take that old PF,

2 weeks later
#9125 2 years ago

Is it just me or is there anyone else hoping to find an antidote in their Christmas stocking?
Ricochet

No pressure though

#9127 2 years ago

not to put pressure but maybe he does not have enough demand to justify the push?
Maybe if we put a list of interested people ourselves and prepay he might be able to simplify the process?
This is just a thought, not trying to push for anything, just trying to help... Just mentioning because I did make preorders for other hobbies and collecting funds and confirming orders up is the toughest part, of course this is different and requires labour etc... anyway, long winded explanation here.

If there is anything we can do to simplify it for Ricochet, we might be able to help?

#9132 2 years ago

well, I am contemplating doing something really crazy... without much details in case it does not happen, my question is:

how difficult would it be to acquire all the wiring for an Indiana Jones... let's say I have a friend that has enough parts to build an IJ from scratch except for the wiring... lol

Should my friend just wire the whole thing himself? My friend is shitting his pants just by thinking about it.

In case you missed it, asking for a friend.

#9134 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

You could do it, if you don't want to play said game for a couple years

I am not sure what you meant. That my wiring is gonna suck and it is going to take 2 years to figure out, or that it takes 2 years to wire a game.
lol
I think both might be correct.

Actually my wiring would not suck, because I do not make anything that sucks. lol But I am certainly underestimating how long it takes to wire a game.

Anybody done such thing for a game before?

anybody willing to sell a full harness!!?

#9136 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

I was thinking about my limited electrical skills and what it would take me to build the harness, maybe check out HEP on youtube, he does a lot of this. I think finding the right colors to match the manual might be the real challenge.

Hep is the man, yes he does some wiring but usually reuses the old harness. I can also make the wire myself, already have a few spools of every color, just need to paint the stripes on it (which I have done once before) and it works great.

I already own an IJ, but I have enough parts to build a second, except the harness... well, I am also missing the subway, a scoop and a few other metal guides, but other than that, I have everything.

Please someone talk me out of this project if these parts are impossible to find or If I am going mad and need to see a psychologist.

#9139 2 years ago

I have built plenty of harnesses. Time consuming but not difficult at all.
Since you always have to remove them all during a restoration, its easy to copy an existing to make a new one.
When you restore your IJ just make up a spare harness for your upcoming scratch build.
People do it all the time. The proper wire is commonly available in most cases.

that is a good plan! good to hear is not impossible or difficult. I will go this route.

#9142 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Based on my experience:
You have to source 18 and 22 AWG wires. You have 2 options:
Purchase stranded wires: due to minimum order quantity, it's not so attractive from price point of view.
Purchase standard wires, and apply the stripes by yourself.
Without sample harness I would not start. A dedicated jig/template is required for the job for every harness.
Manufacturing time:
Switch harness: 2 days
Lamp harness: 2 days
Solenoid harness: 2 days
And of course you have to buy a lot of Molex connectors and IDC connectors. On top of that, there are ~30 small harness for assemblies.

Quoted from Ashram56:

Actually if you're going the route of a full rebuild of the wire harness , I would recommend that you simplify your work for inserts and GI: replace them all with WS281x ledstrip (there are solutions out there). You will save a tremendous amount of time for the wiring (it's just three wires in chain), plus it will give you some nice flexibility (changing colors for the inserts and GI)
For the control part, reach out to whoever is building the 'Total Light' mod for Tron/Metallica etc, as I'm sure his control board can be adjusted for WPC.
You essentially replace a matrix based insert control system by a serial insert control system (same for GI, although this one is less complicated)
Cheers

thank you for these tips. I do have an extensive collection of molex connectors, it might not cover the entirety of the game but I have most. I think I am close.

Davi do you know anybody who is remaking some of the ball guides, under apron guides, and idol exit ramp? I bet there is somebody out there fabricating pinball parts. I would like these to look like factory.

#9144 2 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

My IJ is getting restored now.
Another guy is scratch building his IJ.
He is copying all my metal parts.
Making them all by hand.
Including the wire ramps.
He will have the specs for all when done.

Perfect. I will reach out to you for more details!
Thanks

#9146 2 years ago

anybody here have any under PF parts/mechs/boards they want to sell?
I'd be interested, please contact me asap.

#9151 2 years ago

Attention! Scratch builders / restorers

I am starting a list of people interested in Indiana Jones light boards, let me know if you need one. I can only get these if we put a big order in so our fellow pinsider DumbAss can make them. I am after the big board in the centre of the game.
Please let me know

Quoted from rwmech5:

Joined the club, is there anyone making new cabinets with artwork? Virtuapin has cabinets but am curious about a turnkey one.

Looking as well. Virtua pin is the only one I found.

#9154 2 years ago

Paul does a great job on his complete cabinets.
They are really nice.
You will still have to drill a few holes in them.

great to know thank you

#9156 2 years ago

BLUF: What would cause extra players to randomly be added during gameplay?
So I decided to install a playfield protector on this machine to keep the planking from getting worse. I have installed these before and absolutely love the look they give of an ultra shiny playfield... looks almost like clearcoat.
Now that I took everything off and on the machine I am hunting down a few gremlins. I still have to fix the left ramp entrance optos, the pit drop rollout, and some issues with the start button.
During gameplay, extra players are added so by the time I have finished 3 balls I have 4 players even if only hitting the button once. I am trying to narrow down the problem and am open to suggestions on where to look. Other than recording a game and looking for when the additional games get added, any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Most likely the issues with the start button? Triggering by itself.
Players cannot be added after ball 1, are you getting added players after ball 1?

#9160 2 years ago

Thanks. It definitely looked messed up but after taking it apart and adjusting it the machine had the same extra player symptoms. Will double check work tomorrow. Open to other suggestions.[quoted image]

you have already mentioned you had issues with the start button, so before you keep on diagnosing everything, why not looking at the obvious? this is usually the best way of solving any pinball problem in my experience.
Once you confirm the start button is not an issue, you will then will be require to to check the column where the Start button is connected to and see what switch is shorting.

The advice given previously is correct, in the sense that MINI BOTTOM HOLE switch (73) and Start button are in the same ROW. All that to say, the switch shorting Start could be any switch related to Start on either column or row.

Cover the basic first, start with the start button and get it out of the way, your issue there might also be related to another short in the column/row.

Study the manual a bit (page 3-2) and this video (pay attention to the diode orientation, the video is not a reflection of the manual):

#9165 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Switch 73 is the opto switch for the min-PF lower hole, not the roll-over microswitch in the lower right (this is switch 78)

you are right my mistake, I just realized it was the roll over being discussed.

#9169 2 years ago

Youre doing the lords pinball work...
Sometimes clouds need to be shouted at!

Quoted from Manny65:

LOL - from his post I took that he'd fixed the short on that switch but the issue with start button was still occurring ... guess we'll find out

my understanding as well.

#9174 2 years ago

Well done my friend!

-see what I did there

#9176 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

If any expert on WPC could chime in, that would be greatly appreciated
In a nutshell, I have installed one too many mod on my Indy, which seems to have an effect on 12V power rail (still need to take a measurement though).
This results into the left flipper being excessively weak. If I remove the mod (it's an HD DMD, a derivative of PIN2DMD, higher size), I get back my original flipper power.
Now I could try to fix that through a number of alternative options, but first, I'd like to understand the exact mechanism of failure involved, as I must say I don't quite get it.
Optos are LED. Therefore they have a threshold to turn on, if above it's on, if below it's off. So how in the world could a slightly under voltage on 12V could affect the behaviour of actual power output of the flipper ?
If anyone could chime in, that would be quite appreciated
From there I can determine the best course of action, I can see three options:
- Using an external 12V meanwell PSU
- Replacing the flipper opto boards with alternatives (GLM ? Leaf switches ?)
- Replacing the rectifier and cap on the power board
Thanks and regards

Fliptronic, CPU and PW driver all share the same 12dvc. Looks like you are overloading the circuit with a screen that is drawing too much. A pin2dmd should fix your issue, they run pretty light on current.

Where is your screen taking power from, what is the pin out? J118?
I am thinking you are taking current from either J116 or J117?

If so try J118 using which is 12V secondary and not shared by the other boards, make sure your fuse on F116 is good.

Replacing fliptronic with pre era non fliptronic components will not work as your pwr drv board does not support this (unless you have an aftermarket board that has both fliptronic and non fliptronic circuits). Factory driver boards do not have the components to run pre fliptronic flippers (you can add them) if you are handy and know what you are doing. Indy uses revision 3 of the wpc89 which is the latest of this generation and pre fliptronic components were taken off the board.

I am currently building a board that is backwards compatible with all revisions, so I can easily swap the pwr driver board to any wpc era game.

Please confirm where is the screen taking power from and we go from there. You might want to replace the screen with something more power efficient anyways, just a thought. I am also building Pin2dmd at the moment and will have some available soon if you need one.

#9180 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So to clarify, I had a PIN2DMD in the first place, and replaced it with an HD DMD, which is essentially a high resolution higher size panel (see in the PIN2DMD section on VPuniverse).
So I know full well that the load of this "new" HD DMD is the cause of the problem, since
a/ when I unplug it problem is gone
b/ i can measure a voltage level of 11.8V instead of 12.5V with/without
Now I want to keep the HD DMD... And I need to understand whether the 12V power rail on the power board from BR5 is able to drive this load (lots of amps going in this HD DMD).
I'm piggy backing power from J118 if my memory is correct, but I'll check.
There has been the exact same symptoms described here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weak-flipper-after-installing-colordmd-12v-unregulated
Note the voltage values, pretty much identical to mine.
I would also like to understand the root cause. Adding a Meanwell PSU is very well within the realm of possibilities, or replacing the rectifier, etc... But I want to understand the exact behaviour, as I don't like applying a band aid without knowing what's behind (and by the way, I have a degree in electronics - although digital electronic, and we're talking analog circuitry here so my skills are rather rusty in this area).
My next step is hooking my scope on the coil just to see what's happening

I do not see much happening on the schematics, BR5/C30 seem to be the culprits... I get the the idea you do not want to change it just because, but by looking at the schematic, it just does not seem to be any other circuitry involved. I guess you are most likely to resolve this issue by just replacing these?

1 week later
#9197 2 years ago

those plastics are trash, do not waste your time @williampinball.
Just get in touch with Planetary pinball, they have a lot of IJ plastics.

#9201 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Pretty crazy what nice IJ's are selling for these days....

here is Canada these go for a little less but I have not seen a good example yet, most are really beat to hell, which is why I ended up importing mine from the US.

#9206 2 years ago

shout out to Trogdor for being so kind and sending me his antidote. Installed and now the game is 95% better than what it was.
No more SDTM nor left drains after the ball is kicked out AND, last but not least, the mode start is now doable in 9 out 10 times with the odd bounce which is tolerable and acceptable in the world of pinball. It was particularly bad for me before this mod, maybe because there was an unnecessary cliffy installed (now removed), no offence to the cliffy lovers, but those things only cause issues in all my games.

Thank you Ricochet for a great mod.
FYI, I still need a 2nd one, for another IJ so please do not take me off your list for when the new badge is ready.

On a side note, in 2 different occasions, with weak-ish shots, the balls stayed held by the antidote shield/bracket (or whatever you call the clingy part), the ball would fall int the saucer with a little nudge but what wondering if I need to correct this or bend something? Is the shield leading edge supposed to be taller or lower than ball? it is lower on mine.

Thanks again! Trogdor and Ricochet

#9208 2 years ago
Quoted from PolePosition:

Does anyone have a good solution or mod to protect the diode that's attached to the mini pf switch just above the mode start hole? Mine got smashed pretty good recently, surprised it didn't short, but it was close. Thanks!

not sure what people do to get this banged up so badly, I guess just a bad bounce?
I think the best way to easy solve it is trimming down the switch pads and using a new diode, and rather than looping the diode short in between pads, just keep the leads long - add heat shrink to the leads - and tuck it closely to the bottom of the PF as possible.

A combination of shorter switch pads + moving the diode up high and away of the ball should prevent a high % of these occurrences.

#9213 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Do the Data East solution and take the diode and mount it under the playfield.

I do not think that will work with this switch, it has 3 prongs, and the diode connects on one side to the 3rd empty one.
Unless you run a cable all the way down, and link the diode there?

#9222 2 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Hi All,
I've had a fair bit of interest in another batch of ruin bumper caps, and am pulling together a small batch now for anyone interested. I'll post updates on the thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-pop-bumper-cap-ruins
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

really cool!

#9228 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Posting this in case others can benefit. Awhile back I put in a Pin2DMD into my IJ and the glare on the glass is pretty bad. Picked up one of these from Comet pinball https://www.cometpinball.com/products/dmd-glare-eliminators?_pos=1&_sid=82d8a732f&_ss=r figuring for $14.95 it was worth a gamble. Best $14.95 I've spent in a long time.. lol Before and after pics posted for comparison.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You can also reduce the brightness of the panel with the Pin2dmd app, connect the screen to your USB port, run the app and adjust the brightness.

I will have 4 screens Pin2DMD for sale if anybody is interested, I am planning on selling for $275 USD each or $350 CAD. These are new and are currently being built, Evo boards (latest pin2dmd design).

#9229 2 years ago

First screen is ready and in my machine.

I will provide the screen, the wire harness and the memory card.

Note:
You will need to pay the artist for the colour files, $20 euros, and I can preload them in the memory card once you send the files to me.
Installation is very easy.
Plug and play.

I will not be making these again any time soon, only have 5 as this is the minimum amount one can order from pcbway. I was able to reduce costs by putting a lot of my time into these and sourcing parts from different parts of the world, therefore, this is why I am selling for less than other vendors. That said, I am not selling at cost, there has to be something for me, my time etx, if you do want cost, you can do so by ordering the parts and building yourself producing 5 screens takes about 2 months and can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 usd depending on the cost of parts when ordering…

Prices are:
$275 usd/$350 cad plus shipping
Includes:
Wire harness
Memory card
Ready plug and play colour dmd

45E15D56-5508-47BE-8A4D-D68FC12BDFBF (resized).jpeg45E15D56-5508-47BE-8A4D-D68FC12BDFBF (resized).jpeg87720C7A-7A07-41B5-9D8A-D2E952B351AE (resized).jpeg87720C7A-7A07-41B5-9D8A-D2E952B351AE (resized).jpegA6992D74-395E-430E-A8B2-4CADA075ED5E (resized).jpegA6992D74-395E-430E-A8B2-4CADA075ED5E (resized).jpegDB67F266-8483-44C8-9C69-09B90D64CA1E (resized).jpegDB67F266-8483-44C8-9C69-09B90D64CA1E (resized).jpegF0D30C0C-8F8B-4F58-98F9-BEFC5F0A606F (resized).jpegF0D30C0C-8F8B-4F58-98F9-BEFC5F0A606F (resized).jpeg
#9233 2 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Hi All, Just wanted to share latest mod I've been working on: 'Staff of Ra_Light Jackpot' mod. Few more details on the thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-pop-bumper-cap-ruins/page/2#post-6659007
Basically - I wanted to get the headpiece onto the play field somewhere that made sense and I felt that in the movie it kinda lights the jackpot up by illuminating the location of the Ark, so felt like a good fit. Let me know if interested.
Cheers!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

did you make the ruins as well? and the path of adventure rails?

#9249 2 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Turned on my Indy today and the POA motor went to the right and just kept spinning.
Took the POA off to take a look and sure enough, the motor just keeps spinning. In the test menu it does register the OPTOs on the mini board attached to the motor. I happened to have a brand new gearbox and motor and installed that and the game did the same thing the motor just keeps spinning. I ordered Dual Opto Board and the Bridge driver replacement board... Im sure at this point its one or the other... anyone else ever had this issue?

Most likely leaky capacitor on the motor control board under the PF. Upper left corner.

Once it leaks, well, things get weird.

Post a picture of the board, if you can’t repair it or don’t know how I can help, mind you, I am in Canada. Cheers
Edit: I remembered you know, you had issues with the gun switch before. All that to say, happy to help still, but do not think you will need me as you are good with this stuff .

I am pretty sure the board is bad though! check that first. I would dismount the cap and check its capacitance (in case it is not leaking). The cap on these boards fail often.

1 week later
#9273 2 years ago

See if inside your cab there is a yellow key, the key is to lock the the coin door switch on and leave the coin door open, often used to actually do these test and push on the button while you watch the screen.

The so called yellow key does not look like a key btw, but it is some sort of wedge thing that clamps onto the switch to lock it on.

Lol will post a photo later.
Just pointing it out because maybe you have it since you have owned the game for 20 years…

#9275 2 years ago

That is the one.
Thanks for the 3d printer files link, will definitely use in the future.
Wondering what else is out there that can be 3D printed.

2 weeks later
#9292 2 years ago

Would not it be awesome if this game was updated with new cose like funhouse 2.0?
I know I know, licensing issues…
But would not it be awesome.
So much potential…

#9298 2 years ago

Very cool but at that price I would just buy a 3d printer and try my best to make my own.
By the time I am $1800 into it, I will most likely have awesome plastics and a new skill.
That is me, i am a nerd.

#9308 2 years ago

IT would have been a lot cheaper maybe to just swap the PF. The perfect original PF does not exist unless it is a NOS 1993 never used, like the one I have in a box right behind as a type this and I am saving for a scratch build.

#9321 2 years ago

Antidote for the win. Another pinsider sent me one ans it works great.
Was finally able to beat the game thanks to it!
Thanks Ricochet

Now that I have completed the game I am seriously contemplating selling it

#9351 2 years ago

Most likely needing a flipper rebuild.
I did that day one and I can get the ramp all day long.
Pitch is 7 degrees

#9354 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've never been able hit that ramp all the long Even with newly rebuilt flippers.....One of the challenges with that ramp is its fairly steep, and u can't backhand.

I swear, lol, no issues here.
I am sure I hit “send post” and my flippers blow up

#9361 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

The ball easily goes up the ramp if I hit it. I just mean hitting the ramp is very difficult. I’m wondering if I’m at the wrong pitch and the geometry is off?

Are your bats lined up properly with the guides on the pf?

#9363 2 years ago
Quoted from Maverick203b:

I got my friend into pinball and he is ready to buy his first machine. He wants to buy Indy as his first.
None are posted for sale right now, anyone open to selling? Doesn’t need to be collector quality but not something that needs work as he is new to the hobby. I am in Omaha, but open to arranging shipping if needed. Shoot me a message!

I’d sell mine. Needs nothing, but I am in Canada…

#9366 2 years ago

Anybody wanting to import mine from Canada please give me a shout. Lots of extras and parts including a brand new shooter/pistol extra, NOS PF, and lots lots lots more, I estimate more than $3500 USD in EXTRA parts.

It is going to be expensive, serious enquiries only.

3 weeks later
#9442 2 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

My machine keeps factory resetting every time i turn it on
I took out the battery and checked it with a multimeter and it measures just over 3v.
Anything else i need to look at ?
[quoted image]

you 5v circuit will most likely be the issue.
Refer to the manual and check the correct Test Point (TP) and report the voltage you are getting. You might need a new regulator, bridge, caps, etc.

#9452 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

To avoid this problem, deeproot pins were going to offer an optional self-winding Rolex wired into the main PCB to display the correct time. This was called the PinClock™ and the cost would have been commensurate with a modern Rolex watch.

Lol

1 week later
#9486 2 years ago
Quoted from Vaital:

Hello !!!
I have problems with the control of the mini playfield... I uploaded a short video to youtube and you can see how the motor does not run smoothly to the left as it does to the right.
I have already replaced the motor and the problem has not disappeared.
Could you please give me some tips on where to look?
what i just noticed...i left the flipper off for 15min...and after restarting in test mode the motor runs smoothly to the right and to the left.
so it seems to be a problem when the control boards warm up that the signal stutters to the left.

Have you checked the board underneath the pf? The one where the motor connects to…

#9494 2 years ago

That board looks very serviceable.

First step, desolder the capacitor and check its capacitance.
Install new cap if needed.

Next on the list is the driver at U4, look up in the manual, (big black chip with lots of legs).

That board looks in great shape and there is no need to throw it out or spend $100 on a new one. Trust me on this.

Use a proper desoldering gun and you will be done in no time

3 months later
#9774 1 year ago

I have a POA Nos motor available if anyone needs one.

Quoted from Ricochet:

Getting back into the antidote business!
To everyone who has been waiting patiently, thank you!!!
I’m almost done with this batch, (I need to mount the pivot plates) …. If you’ve contacted me… I will contact you in turn.
So while we are here I want to make a few points regarding this product.
1. It isn’t perfect … I will never guarantee you will hit all your mode shots. It’s simply not possible with this design… this is a passive kinetic energy dampening device…it’s not a magnet or a trap
2. It has no adjustments… If you feel like it isn’t working for you … and you want to mess with it … bend it whatever… do it at your own peril. I won’t recommend any adjustments. It cannot be adjusted so that when the ball is ejected it lands on a specific spot... generally it lands on the left sling... if you get some outlane ejects or STDM here and there... I can't fix that. Ejected balls with or without the antidote are never perfectly consistent anyway.
3. Please don’t come at me with percentages of completed shots comparing it to other hacks or solutions… I can’t use the data and won’t be making any changes as a result of it.
4. The only objective that I had going into this was an improvement on the mode shot. I wanted a hard (no padding) drop in solution. It’s final design was determined with many many many iterations of various approaches. It wasn’t designed with super cosmic pinball science … it was 100% empirical.
5. Everyone’s machine is different. Flipper strength, flipper rubber, eject lever, mode hole wear… playfield pitch. If you don’t think any of these factors make a difference… please think again.
... oh and there are other solutions and hacks out there... I don't compete with them... if you already have an existing solution and you think this may be a better solution... I have no data to say that mine is better or worse than any other solution. Everyone claims they have "the solution", it doesn't keep me up at night
That said…
The VAST majority of customers love the product and feel like it is a major improvement to the game. It does change the mode shot feel, it’s tighter and doesn’t “thunk” … it kind of jingles
So if I didn’t scare you off and you are still interested … they are being made again
Thanks for all the continued support and enthusiasm!
Jim
[quoted image]

I have since sold my IJ as something else caught my eye but mine did have one of these installed that another pinsider here sold to me!
This is a no brainer if you want to enjoy this game more. Get the antidote for really nailing down that Start Mode saucer!

On that note, I am on my 3rd batch of Pin2dmd colour screens for Bally-Williams-Stern and have colorized games for people on this thread, Adams Family, T2, Simpsons, and more. These are games I have owned or a friend of mine has so I make them for when I needed them.
This turned out to be a fun thing to do and since I became very proficient in making these, I am now offering to people on pinside.

I am about to start the 3rd batch but I only do so when the screens are pre-sold as I do not want to end up with screen in stock. I do not stock them, I make them on demand.

I have now 2 people in my list and need 3 more to start the process. Hoping we can get a couple of people on here! Unfortunately I do not have a video of my IJ running the amazing colourization made by NetzZwerg for IJ (he also makes GB, AF, Roadshow, and a lot more), that said, if you go into the Simpsons thread, and Adams Family owner's thread, you can easily see some happy users there who have just received their screens.

here is a link to my (now sold as of last weekend) Simpsons with my screen put on:

Happy to assist with colourizing your games. Send me a pm for more info!

cheers!

1 week later
#9796 1 year ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Anyone make airball protectors for the back drop target? I saw there was someone making them a few years back. Sent a message but haven’t heard back. Google search didn’t show anyone else ma

I’ve been wondering what those would look like with the TAF Gold pop bumper caps. Anyone ever seen that on an IJ? And think it would be cool or lame?

I think I have a set I never end up using. I bought it from the Davi I believe (sorry I cannot remember it was last year).
I sold my IJ a few months ago and have also a spare POA motor extra, this is an original OEM williams motor never used, and it has been tested and it works.

IF anybody is wanting the motor and plastic protectors (both set for front and back drop down targets) please send me a PM. Located in Canada.
Not sure what these parts are worth, so if anybody can chime in with a price check that would be great. I know Marco sells the motor new but it is not OEM like the one I have so ymmv on how original you want your game to be.

Cheers

3 weeks later
#9801 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I think I have a set I never end up using. I bought it from the Davi I believe (sorry I cannot remember it was last year).
I sold my IJ a few months ago and have also a spare POA motor extra, this is an original OEM williams motor never used, and it has been tested and it works.
IF anybody is wanting the motor and plastic protectors (both set for front and back drop down targets) please send me a PM. Located in Canada.
Not sure what these parts are worth, so if anybody can chime in with a price check that would be great. I know Marco sells the motor new but it is not OEM like the one I have so ymmv on how original you want your game to be.
Cheers

Motor and plastics still up for grabs
Want to mention! If you want to colorize your dmd ping me as well. Have some colour screens extra!

#9803 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Motor and plastics still up for grabs
Want to mention! If you want to colorize your dmd ping me as well. Have some colour screens extra!

Change of plans, I am keeping the parts.

That said, I have 3 or 4 Pin2dmd screens left over fo you to enjoy the awesome colorization NetzWerg made for this game. I will be posting vids of the pin2dmd when I get the screens finished.

1 week later
#9827 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The one connector that you have a picture of looks like the wrong style; for what
Williams has.
You might have to make an intermittent connector to fit the driver board.
Or, repin the wires to the correct connector required for the WPC system.

If the spacing is 0.156 just clip those wings off if they get in the way.
If the metal connectors are molex you can simply extract and insert on a new correct molex connector.
This is a very easy, common, wpc issue to solve.

#9831 1 year ago

Ricochet
Do you still have the mod for the mode start?
Need one

#9850 1 year ago

Jim has graciously made the mod open source earlier in this thread!
I can make up a few later on, but Im on a project right now that needs my full attention.
It looks fun to make and fairly straight forward.
Sendcutsend will even bend the upper piece for you if you sort it out in CAD (for $2 a bend...).
Ill see if I can at least make up a bend sheet for it way down the road.

Awesome!
Not sure what a bend sheet is but you have my attention!
I would be willing to explore the possibility of making other IJ parts as well, like ball guides, ramps or else.

#9855 1 year ago

The bend sheet is a technical drawing that shows the bend lines and possibly the radiuses and bend angles.
Generally one makes a tech sheet the all of the views and dimensions if its done professionally.
If there are bends, one makes a bend sheet to list the bend locations and the angles.
These days I make a 3d model to verify the dimensions and fit.
I generate tech drawings after the fact.

Very cool!!

1 week later
#9868 1 year ago

Question, with the head being 100% occupied by the WPC system, where are you guys installing the Pinsound board? In the cabinet?

#9870 1 year ago
Quoted from PBFan:

The pinsound board replaces the WPC sound board so it just fits in the same spot.

ah! that makes sense, I thought it was needed in conjunction with the old one. Thanks

1 week later
#9882 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

My fellow Pinsiders, please take time to check all the aux driver boards on
your Williams/Bally WPC system games. The Marcon filter radial capacitors
are at the end of life.
[quoted image]
This is the mini playfield Bridge driver board.
A-15946 although the board looked good,
the damage was hidden under the capacitor.

#1 issue of this game. That said, all capacitors on a 30 year old are at the end of life on most Williams, but this one, on this board fails often.
IF you smell fish inside your game, you know a cap went down, lol

1 month later
#9979 1 year ago

It is not the age, is the mileage.

Just a quick hello, 
I will be making more Pin2DMD if there is enough demand.
The list of colorized games (not all games are colorized is here)
https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5391-complete-pin2dmd-colour-file-list-for-virtual-real-pins/

If you game is not on the list, it is most likely not colorized. This means nobody has made colour files for Pin2DMD.

For pricing contact me by private message as I am not sure whether this is allowed on here.
I have made several dozens of these screens in the past, a lot of these go to myself, games I partially restored or to other collector who have bought off me.

Here are a couple of vids of my own games, I do have other games but I do not keep a lot of DMD games around often

Simpsons:

Indiana Jones:

And I just finished installing one in LW3 but since I am fixing other parts of the game I do not have a video of it yet, but I did test it and the screen works really well. Best part is that some colour files are free.

Anyway, enough infomercial now. Thanks

#9986 1 year ago

I agree, these older games need the OCD board to really take them to the next level. They do otherwise looks horribly choppy. Often times the GI will flicker when you flip as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,419.00
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.