Topic Stats

• 4,673 posts
  • 388 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by RhettDR
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,526 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3259F6B1-40D9-44D2-B57B-E8A9B54ED05B (resized).jpeg
1E11BACC-5061-4CA7-8F74-4A09A5477293 (resized).jpeg
B5C3A094-4679-4B02-B285-4D79FACD22BB (resized).jpeg
F7D3BF5B-BBC8-4350-B998-2755C88BFB8D (resized).jpeg
20190810_101101 (resized).jpg
20190810_103956 (resized).jpg
20190810_104049 (resized).jpg
7CF9A04E-4E92-4F3F-A0D8-E5CC0418D772 (resized).jpeg
8F163FB0-6805-45B0-8411-5E94AB971D0B (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1523071447573 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523071444684 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523071441979 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1523071438353 (resized).jpg
indy (resized).jpeg
F6CC0DE3-5803-49CF-8084-E6B964EA3339 (resized).jpeg
243AA42A-16D6-4160-9986-7B0F24CEF31E (resized).jpeg

There are 4673 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 94.
#101 5 years ago

Looking for some input from other owners. When balls drop from the ruins and hit the wire gate about half the time they drain instead of going down to the flipper. Does anyone else have this problem? It looks to me like they get hung up on the gate. Just wondering if this is a common problem, like the mode hole issue, or is it unique to my pin.

#102 5 years ago

It is something that should not happen and should be addressed. I used to play on a brand-new IJ and did not have that issue, nor did it happen on the one I played recently.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Looking for some input from other owners. When balls drop from the ruins and hit the wire gate about half the time they drain instead of going down to the flipper. Does anyone else have this problem? It looks to me like they get hung up on the gate. Just wondering if this is a common problem, like the mode hole issue, or is it unique to my pin.

Something is up, mine has never done this

#104 5 years ago

Mine also does this. Is it a level issue

#105 5 years ago

This is the game that keeps giving. 20 years after it's made we find out there's a secret frog bonus lurking in the mine! Had my Indy since 2001 after playing the heck out of it the uni pub. Massive stink eye from the wife as I squashed it into our tiny apartment just as our first baby was born. Had to use it as a change table a few times though the angle proved challenging. Had it in storage for a few years after baby no. 2 came along. Brought it home, played a few games, heard some scratching inside, opened the coin door to find an enormous possum inside.
Just started experimenting with some LEDS - don't want to wreck the original feel but replaced the round green winged ones for getting the ramps and I like them a lot so might proceed.
Only finished the ramp bridge mode once or twice, tank chase likewise (find those loops so tight) and never finished 3 challenges. Never got to Fish of Tayles on 2 ball multiball or finished Grunewald (that captive ball shot's not that easy!)
When friends jackpot comes around it's a nice surprise and pretty rare. The playfield looks kind of limited when you look at it but there's actually heaps to do an lots of extra balls to find.
Love the Narrow Escape - got the post set all the way to the left to help out...we all do that, right???!
My next thing to do after putting in some more LEDS is to install the lost plastic and the lamp kit but other than that don't feel like I need to go crazy on the mods.

#106 5 years ago

OK. Thanks for the input guys. I put a level on the machine and it looks good so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe a bigger rubber on the post that the ball hits just b/4 going through the gate would help. Anyone know if they make a "fatter" rubber ring?

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

When balls drop from the ruins and hit the wire gate about half the time they drain instead of going down to the flipper.

I've seen this happen on a few IJs I've seen in the wild, but it rarely happens on mine. If it's not a level issue, is there something wrong with the gate or maybe something is not lining up?

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

OK. Thanks for the input guys. I put a level on the machine and it looks good so I don't think that's the problem. Maybe a bigger rubber on the post that the ball hits just b/4 going through the gate would help. Anyone know if they make a "fatter" rubber ring?

You have to adjust the metal ball guide. Bend it a little to altar the path of the ball. I remember having to do something like that to mine when I first got it a long time ago.

#109 5 years ago

The ball gate that opens up where the right out lane is ?

#110 5 years ago

No, I adjusted that curved metal ball guide that leads to the gate. That's what I'm remembering I adjusted though it has been awhile. I would have to look at mine again to refresh my memory totally.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm looking to LED my IJ, but I need some recommendations. I usually color match most of the inserts, but with IJ, so many of the inserts have artwork on them. All the modes, ADVENTURE, and the faces are all hard to tell what color LED to use. Does anyone have suggestions of what they did that looked good?
I'd also be interested in non-color-bombed, good looking GI choices as well.
Thanks for any help!

pinballbulbs.com just released their IJ kit. I cannot recommend them enough! My LOTR and SS look amazing with what these guys do!

Though, I would love to see iamdarras's light scheme mapped out. How did you get the blues on the play field to do that?

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Time to revisit getting some mods. Anyone care to tempt me with some pics/reviews of good quality mods? My only mod I have is the translucent backboard/lost plastic (that I still need to illuminate).

This machine has some fantastic mods available. There is a guy on ebay from Great Britain (Andy Dreads) that does a ton for this machine. I have added WAY to many mods to my IJ - I got a little carried away I guess!
If I had to rank what I have it would be:

1. Biplane Propellor (must have)
2. Lighted Ark of the Covenant
3. Nazi Blimp - doesn't do anything, but looks really cool
4. Ruins Light mod/ POA light mod
5. Tank mod/active rolling boulder/minecart mod: they are all pretty cool
6. Indy holding up the skull (I know it is the wrong movie, but the colour changing effect is pretty cool)
7. I like the target decals for some reason
8. Jewelled monkey and Snake - added out of boredom.

*lost plastic is great, I just feel that it should have been there anyway, so not really a mod?
I do have the (pinbits I believe) backbox light mod that illuminates the ark, shankira stone and the grail. I probably will never install it though…..and I am thinking hard on the shaker as well.

#113 5 years ago

Sometimes with my path of adventure, when the pin drops, instead pf going onto the POA it goes to the left ramp.
How could I fix this?
thanks.

#114 5 years ago

chad I had to bend the tab just below where the ball stops before it drops into the mini playfield. I bent that right hand tab towards the front of the machine and the ball stopped jumping across the gap avoiding the poa altogether. If anyone is on the hunt for an IJ I have one listed in the market place, make me an offer.

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/11794

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Hi All,
i recently joined the IJ club as well. So far the machine has been great. I bought a machine that had definitely been on route and well loved. The person I bought it from though did a full shop job on the playfield (not restore), tore it down top to bottom and the game plays like it was new. It also had new decals installed (I was forunate to get a set from BAA when they pop up on occassion). A couple of questions to the group. I want to start doing easy modding and improving some of the visuals. Thoughts on the following:

- Anyone ever restore the gun handle ? Any cheaper options then replating ?

I've got a NOS gun handle that is amazing. It's not a cheap option but I would consider selling it.

QSS

1 week later
#116 5 years ago

I think I discovered the ball gate problem. The horizontal part of the wire is too low on mine. It catches the ball below it's "waistline". I added several #6 washers to each side to raise the gate and it now sends the balls through about 95% of the time.

#117 5 years ago

Another Q for IJ owners. I'm going to put LED's behind my translite. Would you use frosted or clear? I know it's probably personal preference, but just curious what others have liked best.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

This is the game that keeps giving. 20 years after it's made we find out there's a secret frog bonus lurking in the mine! Had my Indy since 2001 after playing the heck out of it the uni pub. Massive stink eye from the wife as I squashed it into our tiny apartment just as our first baby was born. Had to use it as a change table a few times though the angle proved challenging. Had it in storage for a few years after baby no. 2 came along. Brought it home, played a few games, heard some scratching inside, opened the coin door to find an enormous possum inside.
Just started experimenting with some LEDS - don't want to wreck the original feel but replaced the round green winged ones for getting the ramps and I like them a lot so might proceed.
Only finished the ramp bridge mode once or twice, tank chase likewise (find those loops so tight) and never finished 3 challenges. Never got to Fish of Tayles on 2 ball multiball or finished Grunewald (that captive ball shot's not that easy!)
When friends jackpot comes around it's a nice surprise and pretty rare. The playfield looks kind of limited when you look at it but there's actually heaps to do an lots of extra balls to find.
Love the Narrow Escape - got the post set all the way to the left to help out...we all do that, right???!
My next thing to do after putting in some more LEDS is to install the lost plastic and the lamp kit but other than that don't feel like I need to go crazy on the mods.

I love the o'possum inside it! Maybe you should have turned it into a topper!

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Another Q for IJ owners. I'm going to put LED's behind my translite. Would you use frosted or clear? I know it's probably personal preference, but just curious what others have liked best.

First, I know the photo is terrible, but it's just for reference. I used a mix to get the perfect amount of light spread that I wanted.

-The red and orange up top are ablaze clear 3led. This keeps the color focused on the Williams and Indiana Jones logos without much bleed into the artwork.
- Incandescents are used in the middle to keep the warm tone in specific areas. I haven't found a warm white LED yet that I'm completely happy with.
- Cool white frosted LEDs were used to highlight specific spots (faces, items, etc). frosted gives an even spread without hot-spotting.

I've also deliberately left multiple sockets empty for a couple reasons:
There is more than enough light.
It further reduces the strain on the GI string.
Reflective glare is minimized.

One day I'll stop putting all my money into pinball and buy a decent camera, but I'm really happy with this configuration. The saturation levels are not overdone (no color bombs), and it works well to enhance the original artwork instead of overpowering it.

photo.JPG

#120 5 years ago

Do you happen to have a pic w/ the translite on so I can see what it looks like?

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Do you happen to have a pic w/ the translite on so I can see what it looks like?

Sigh, yes, but note for the record that I'm posting it under duress My phone really does not capture it well.

The faces look like they're lit under daylight without being blown out, while Indy has a warmer "torch-light" tone to him overall. The incandescents and frosted coolwhites blend much smoother than the photo, and the red in the upper corner is not that pronounced at all. Take Indy on the horse for example; you get a nice yellow sun while keeping a strong white highlight on his shirt.

I did not light the ark with GI, because it doesn't need it, and it looks more impressive when the flashers go off.

Play around with all different types. Every manufacturer/configuration of LED outputs slightly differently; use that to your advantage to get the exact look you're going for.

IMG_2906.JPG

#122 5 years ago

Hi all,

New IJ owner. Great pin! I have read about a lot of trouble with the PoA. Mine is working fine, but I wanted to replace the inserts bulbs underneath with LEDs. I did the rest of the inserts on the playfield, but I am leary of doing the PoA. I see the steps in the manual to remove it. My question is whether it is worth removing and potentially having issues caused by messing with it or is it no big deal? Suggestions?

Thanks

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Hi all,
New IJ owner. Great pin! I have read about a lot of trouble with the PoA. Mine is working fine, but I wanted to replace the inserts bulbs underneath with LEDs. I did the rest of the inserts on the playfield, but I am leary of doing the PoA. I see the steps in the manual to remove it. My question is whether it is worth removing and potentially having issues caused by messing with it or is it no big deal? Suggestions?
Thanks

It's scary the first time you pull it off. and you have to remove a bunch of other stuff, but if you go slow it's actually not that bad.

#124 5 years ago

Thanks. I was just playing some and I think I have another issue. When locking balling, it seems the idol will release a ball and then another ball comes out from the trough. I get too many balls in play and the game gets confused. Thoughts? Idol test using maintenance menu shows no issue. Is this a trough issue likely or idol optical problem?

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

It's scary the first time you pull it off. and you have to remove a bunch of other stuff, but if you go slow it's actually not that bad.

Agreed. Getting to the PoA was the worst part for me, but after doing it a few times, it's not that bad.

#126 5 years ago

Thanks TSG. I'll play around w/ them some and see what I come up with. I hadn't thought about using any colored bulbs, but I think I'll buy a few just to experiment.

On an unrelated note, anyone know where you can buy a set of cab. decals? I've checked around and they don't seem to be anywhere other than down in Australia for approx. $500. At that price I'll keep looking.

#127 5 years ago

I am also interested in cabinet decals.

#129 5 years ago

I've checked BAA frequently for the last month and never see them for sale. Someone told me that they will run another batch of IJ decals, but only when they get enough requests on their website. Don't have any idea if that's true or not, but if anyone is interested in them go to BAA, click on the cab. decals and add your e-mail to their wait list.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Thanks. I was just playing some and I think I have another issue. When locking balling, it seems the idol will release a ball and then another ball comes out from the trough. I get too many balls in play and the game gets confused. Thoughts? Idol test using maintenance menu shows no issue. Is this a trough issue likely or idol optical problem?

Guessing it's a trough issue, which is a VERY common issue on these machines. Mine would have issue of launching extra balls until I replaced those boards.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I love the o'possum inside it! Maybe you should have turned it into a topper!

Haha she was too hard to catch. I think she would have been more appropriate on top of my TZ in some ways!
image.jpg

#132 5 years ago

Indy ball guide-622.JPG

I just noticed my Indy is missing this ball guide. Does anyone have an extra one?

Thanks!

#133 5 years ago

Man that is a tiny pic. Can you post up a bigger one?

#134 5 years ago

I hope this is a bit easier to see. It is the ball guide that goes just under the right ramp. It prevents the ball from getting stuck between the right ramp and the plastics.
Indy.JPG

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from mbt:

I hope this is a bit easier to see

It's great when my face is 2" from the screen

#136 5 years ago

Yes, first time trying to post pics. I wish there was a way to preview them before submitting the post... You can click on it to make it larger

1 week later
#137 5 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-lost-plastic-led-board

I posted this on the mod forum, but thought I would try here as well.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

pinballbulbs.com just released their IJ kit. I cannot recommend them enough! My LOTR and SS look amazing with what these guys do!
Though, I would love to see iamdarras's light scheme mapped out. How did you get the blues on the play field to do that?

they helped me with my indy--- i get grips of compliments on it

#139 5 years ago

:-)I am still loving my IJ and always will

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

they helped me with my indy--- i get grips of compliments on it

How come yours appear so blue and on their site, it looks different?

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

not sure whats on the site but the lighting on the indy in the pic was a little different than what it is now. Basically just additional spot lighting with purple made the blue.

#142 5 years ago

I've had my IJ for many years. It's the first pinball I've ever owned, and I'll probably never get rid of it. It's definitely my favorite game.

Years ago, I put a lot of time into restoring it and modding it, and essentially trying to make it "my own" (without getting too crazy). The lost plastic was the first thing I tackled. I figured, with all that new artwork back there, why not show it off? So I replaced the backboard with plexiglass and backlit it. I also put in some plastic trees here and there, installed a snake with led's (he lights up on Well of Souls), and put in a toy or two. Nothing gets in the way of the ball, and I think it looks pretty cool. I've done a few more mods to it since then, and moved some things around some, but I figured I'd share these pics with everyone. I just think it's a really great pinball machine.

IMG_6917.JPG IMG_6951.JPG IMG_6944.JPG IMG_6943.JPG IMG_6945.JPG IMG_6932-739.JPG
#143 5 years ago

That plexiglass idea is awesome. Could you give us some idea of how you went about it? How about the lighting behind it?

#144 5 years ago

Glad you like it. I think it really adds depth to the game. It was a while ago, but I seem to remember routing out the pattern on 1/4 inch plexi from Home Depot (twice, since the back piece is 1/2 inch wood. Plus, I don't think they sell 1/2 inch). My original plan was to sandwich the artwork between the two. But it worked out just fine putting the artwork in front. I just removed the original wood piece, made a pattern for it, then used the router to cut it out of plexi.

The lights are all #47s. I used a bunch of #47 lamp holders and connected them behind the plexi to any screw I could. I also have the backlit mod installed, so that gave me a few more options to connect them. I just tried to light up any part of the back piece that the bridge mod wasn't lighting. The whole thing was then wired directly to one of the GI connectors behind the backglass.

Sorry I'm not more specific, but it's in storage right now in a different state and I'm trying to remember the best I can.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I've heard there were two different playfield manufacturers for the IJ . One had deeper, richer blues than the other one. Could be the difference you're seeing.

Can anyone confirm? My playfield has the manufacturer intials 'SP'.

#146 5 years ago

Has anyone modded their Indy by lighting the mode hole? It seems like I read a thread about that on here somewhere but I can't find it now. If you did, where did you tie into the g.i. and what type of bulbs did you use?

#147 5 years ago

Swenny, I did. If you look above, it's pretty red. It's a #47 bulb with a bulb holder. Just screwed it into the wood beneath so the bulb rested in the space between the ejecting mechanism. It's a tight fit , but there's room. Then I soldered it to a nearby GI light.

#148 5 years ago

^^^ yep.

#149 5 years ago

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try.

#150 5 years ago

I put a colordmd in mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
9,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hingham, MA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 399.95
There are 4673 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside