IMG_2817 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2167 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4922 (resized).jpeg
00_solenoid_voltage_supply.jpg
02_switch_column_9_wiring_diagram.jpg
01_switch_matrix_chart.jpg
00_switch_locations.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 11,773 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 236.
#11701 28 days ago

That’s a nice chromed out shiny Indy ya got there

#11702 28 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

That’s a nice chromed out shiny Indy ya got there

Thanks! I had to part with a few pins to add her!

#11703 28 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I added these on Indy and similar on my Shadow. I like them, they look rich and add to the feel of the gun grip. With or without is fine too![quoted image]

It belongs in a museum! That’s awesome. I want one!

#11704 28 days ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

It belongs in a museum! That’s awesome. I want one!

I think I found that sticker at Redbubble. And one for my pingulp.

#11705 28 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! I had to part with a few pins to add her!

Ya we all had too do that a few times lol my IJ is all done just working on the chrome now for her ,yours looks great

#11706 28 days ago

I have very old brass playing on my indy. Including the gun. But it's wearing off.

Where can I find the black gun? I may be interested in these wood handle mods and black was the color of the gun(s) in the movies....

Edit: they are oos almost everywhere, but Planetary Pinball says they have them as well as Pinball Plating.

#11707 28 days ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I have very old brass playing on my indy. Including the gun. But it's wearing off.
Where can I find the black gun? I may be interested in these wood handle mods and black was the color of the gun(s) in the movies....

Planetary
Marco
Pinball life (maybe)

They come and go fast. I removed mine and had it powder coated.

Also https://pinballplating.com/new-parts
has some great but spendy stuff! I just picked up side rails and lockbar from him. Good guy.

IMG_1012 (resized).jpegIMG_1012 (resized).jpeg
#11708 28 days ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Edit: they are oos almost everywhere, but Planetary Pinball says they have them as well as Pinball Plating.

Also I just thought of this. If you or anyone is interested I have some old parts off my IJ since I am on my 4th round of trimmings. Not sure what they are worth to anyone? They are not perfect but if it helps someone out I could part with them.

Brass powder coating on side rails, hinges, and lockdown bar. They are in great shape other than the ding on the one side rail.

Black powder coated wide-body lockdown bar. Does have a small scratch.

Brass plated wide body lockdown bar. It is not perfect but it is in pretty nice shape.

Like I said if it helps, I am glad to help, let me know.

IMG_1006 (resized).jpegIMG_1006 (resized).jpegIMG_1007 (resized).jpegIMG_1007 (resized).jpegIMG_1143 (resized).jpegIMG_1143 (resized).jpegIMG_1144 (resized).jpegIMG_1144 (resized).jpegIMG_1145 (resized).jpegIMG_1145 (resized).jpegIMG_1146 (resized).jpegIMG_1146 (resized).jpeg

#11709 28 days ago

Grips are gorgeous… one of the reasons I like them is they bulk up the entire thing… and add a comfortable curvature to the grip.

IMG_8754 (resized).jpegIMG_8754 (resized).jpeg
#11710 28 days ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

What species wood is on Indiana's gun grip in the movies?

Who said it was wood? It would have been synthetic rubber, or hard rubber.

Gun ButtGun Butt

Here are more movie photos: https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Indy%27s_pistol

#11711 27 days ago

Hi Everyone. My IJ started having an issue where after 2 balls are locked in the idol the game doesnt launch a ball into the shooter lane. I checked all optos in the trough, ran idol test, no errors. Anyone seen this or know how to diagnose the issue? Boards are all pretty much original. A few caps on the driver board have dates on them from 1996.

#11712 27 days ago
Quoted from blardo:

Hi Everyone. My IJ started having an issue where after 2 balls are locked in the idol the game doesnt launch a ball into the shooter lane. I checked all optos in the trough, ran idol test, no errors. Anyone seen this or know how to diagnose the issue? Boards are all pretty much original. A few caps on the driver board have dates on them from 1996.

I believe the CPU\MPU accounts for the balls using the trough boards. So you may have a ball hanging up in the trough. Sometimes that trough over the years becomes dimpled and balls sometimes hang up. Either that or the trough board maybe flakey. I had a bent opto in a CV and it made for confusion in the machine. Anyway, I would start there.

#11713 27 days ago

I believe the CPU\MPU accounts for the balls using the trough boards.

Yes. The software has no other choice. If you look at the switch matrix chart for this game, you will see that all regular 8x8 matrix switches are used. You will see that since the game only uses two flippers that the unused fliptronic board switches are also used for game functionality. Finally, the game also has the 8-Driver Auxiliary board that offers a 9th switch column that this game uses. Yes. It uses that many switches. There are no switches indicating ball presence in the idol. There are only switches indicating a ball is waiting at the bottom of the idol (SW44 = Right Popper) or a ball has entered the idol (SW43 = Top Idol Enter). Once the ball enters the idol there is no indication of its presence. The position of the idol is maintained by the software based on its inference of how many balls are locked, which is based on how many balls are left in the ball trough. There is no other way the software can know how many balls are locked.

Quoted from blardo:

I checked all optos in the trough, ran idol test, no errors. Anyone seen this or know how to diagnose the issue?

After you lock two balls in the idol, enter diagnostics and go to switch edges. The answer will be there. It is most likely that the software is not seeing what would be a closed switch under normal operating circumstances. If you are uncertain how to interpret what you are seeing then post an image of the state of the switch matrix.

#11714 27 days ago

I believe the CPU\MPU accounts for the balls using the trough boards. So you may have a ball hanging up in the trough. Sometimes that trough over the years becomes dimpled and balls sometimes hang up. Either that or the trough board maybe flakey. I had a bent opto in a CV and it made for confusion in the machine. Anyway, I would start there.

Quoted from DumbAss:

After you lock two balls in the idol, enter diagnostics and go to switch edges. The answer will be there. It is most likely that the software is not seeing what would be a closed switch under normal operating circumstances. If you are uncertain how to interpret what you are seeing then post an image of the state of the switch matrix.

I Went into the switch matrix when this was happening and notice that ball positions in the trough were saying that 6 and 5 were closed then 4 was open. I looked in trough and wouldnt you know it, the balls were getting hung up. I tapped the last ball they slide down and ball went into shooter lane. Thank you both so much this has been driving me crazy. Though inspecting the trough not sure whats keeping it stuck, and suggestions on fixing trough?

#11715 27 days ago

Check the balls aren't magnetised?

#11716 27 days ago

Are you sure there are no divots in the trough? I was having the same issue, had to smooth the trough.

#11717 27 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

Check the balls aren't magnetised?

They dont seem magnetized, however i'll try some new balls

Quoted from Billc479:

Are you sure there are no divots in the trough? I was having the same issue, had to smooth the trough.

I ran my finger along the inside, didnt feel divots, but certainly wasnt as smooth as a new trough

#11718 27 days ago
#11719 27 days ago

If you put in a shim, make sure the ball rolls freely. I installed one, and it was too tall. The balls would be trapped between the shim and the bottom of the playfield.

I thought about adding washers to get the space, but ultimately removed the trough and sanded it smooth.

#11721 26 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

If you put in a shim, make sure the ball rolls freely. I installed one, and it was too tall. The balls would be trapped between the shim and the bottom of the playfield.
I thought about adding washers to get the space, but ultimately removed the trough and sanded it smooth.

Thanks, I'll give the shim a try first.

#11722 21 days ago

May get back in the club soon. Couple things I may add.

May need my gun plated. Robertstone out of plating business?....Saw he stopped posting last summer.

I actually like the last movie. Anyone add a dial somewhere on the pf? Only other things Ill add are the arl over the right ramp and I saw another cool sign for the left.

#11723 21 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

May need my gun plated. Robertstone out of plating business?....Saw he stopped posting last summer.

I got mine plated by doing an exchange with Chris Royalty here:
https://pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/indiana-jones-ij-gun-chrome-brass-black-nickel

#11724 20 days ago

Also I just thought of this. If you or anyone is interested I have some old parts off my IJ since I am on my 4th round of trimmings. Not sure what they are worth to anyone? They are not perfect but if it helps someone out I could part with them.
Brass powder coating on side rails, hinges, and lockdown bar. They are in great shape other than the ding on the one side rail.
Black powder coated wide-body lockdown bar. Does have a small scratch.
Brass plated wide body lockdown bar. It is not perfect but it is in pretty nice shape.
Like I said if it helps, I am glad to help, let me know.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The brass powder coated stuff sold and black lockdown bar sold.

I just came across an original (it has defects) translite. Anyone interested just let me know.
IMG_1285 (resized).jpegIMG_1285 (resized).jpegIMG_1286 (resized).jpegIMG_1286 (resized).jpeg

#11726 20 days ago

Planetary Pinball sells brand new gun handles for cheaper than that plating job. And Planetary's are a nice dark chrome color unless you want brass which they don't have.

#11727 18 days ago

Planetary Pinball sells brand new gun handles for cheaper than that plating job. And Planetary's are a nice dark chrome color unless you want brass which they don't have.

And get the wood grips. I think that looks way more authentic than a brass plated gun.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-wood-handle-gun-plates-mod

#11728 18 days ago

Thx!

#11729 14 days ago

Just joined the club! Super excited. I do have an issue though with the POA. The ball will often roll past instead of dropping in. I’ve adjusted the pitch but not sure what it should be at for this game 6.5, 7.5? I also have an issue that the post that stops the ball before the POA drop but goes back up and blocks the ball again so it doesn’t roll past and I have to time a nudge or take the glass off or the ball will just be up there. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

#11730 14 days ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

Just joined the club! Super excited. I do have an issue though with the POA. The ball will often roll past instead of dropping in. I’ve adjusted the pitch but not sure what it should be at for this game 6.5, 7.5? I also have an issue that the post that stops the ball before the POA drop but goes back up and blocks the ball again so it doesn’t roll past and I have to time a nudge or take the glass off or the ball will just be up there. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

The switch before the post on the rope bridge sounds like the culprit, needs investigation and adjusting. Make sure the post goes up and down freely, investigate the post mech and it’s solenoid

#11731 14 days ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

You might want to post a pic or video of the bridge and switch area. Sometimes adding the lost plastic in back or if the bridge is not installed just right then might cause issues. You’re gonna want to level and pitch the machine before doing anything. 6.5 is stock but if you like faster Stern like games then you might wanna do 7. I’m not sure what 7.5 will do (might create other issues like the big ramp shot difficulty). Test is we with the glass off then adjust after it plays like you want it to

#11732 13 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hey all, I’m having mini playfield issues. I have replaced both boards now, under the playfield and the optos. I don’t know what’s next. Been through the forum, I thought the optos would be the last ditch effort. The issue is the mini playfield on start up shifts to the right, and it can’t seem to find where the straight in alignment is. In the test, the optos do read, motor does shift left and right, but that really only means it goes flat and to the right, or I force it to the left, but trying to get the motor to shift left and right just pushes the thing far right again. Any thoughts?
This post pretty well sums up my exact problem, though I have also replaced the board with a new one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-mini-playfield-not-centering

For any future readers, issue is officially solved. As many other posts have shown, the board under the playfield WAS the issue after all. The board I bought to fix it was also faulty. Bought a second board after trying many other things, and thankfully it worked, and also thankfully I’ll get a refund on the faulty board.

#11733 13 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

For any future readers, issue is officially solved. As many other posts have shown, the board under the playfield WAS the issue after all. The board I bought to fix it was also faulty. Bought a second board after trying many other things, and thankfully it worked, and also thankfully I’ll get a refund on the faulty board.

Which of the boards was it?

#11734 13 days ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Which of the boards was it?

The board under the playfield. I bought one and it didn’t fix anything, so I went on the wild goose chase trying to find a different cause of the issue. I even bought another opto board for above the playfield. Finally tried the board from Pinball Life and it worked.

#11735 13 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

The board under the playfield. I bought one and it didn’t fix anything, so I went on the wild goose chase trying to find a different cause of the issue. I even bought another opto board for above the playfield. Finally tried the board from Pinball Life and it worked.

Yes, I'm asking what the name of the board or part number is you replaced out of curiosity. I don't fully know the complete workings of the mini playfield yet as I haven't had the time to dig into my issues. Is this the bridge driver board?

#11736 13 days ago

I don’t know where else to turn. Can anyone please help? I messed up and put RAM chip into my IJ upside down. Turned the game on and it made horrible sounds and fired everything all at once.

Turned on and off a couple times before I figured what it was. Chip now correct. Everything working except upper playfield and idol lock. They both don’t work.

I have tried a new ram, new rom, new CPU, new power driver board. None of those fix the problem. Does anyone know what else it could be that affects both the upper playfield and idol?

#11737 12 days ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Yes, I'm asking what the name of the board or part number is you replaced out of curiosity. I don't fully know the complete workings of the mini playfield yet as I haven't had the time to dig into my issues. Is this the bridge driver board?

Ah, my bad - needed the details, got it. Yes, here is the info, got the working one from Pinball Life:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11738 12 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I don’t know where else to turn. Can anyone please help? I messed up and put RAM chip into my IJ upside down. Turned the game on and it made horrible sounds and fired everything all at once.
Turned on and off a couple times before I figured what it was. Chip now correct. Everything working except upper playfield and idol lock. They both don’t work.
I have tried a new ram, new rom, new CPU, new power driver board. None of those fix the problem. Does anyone know what else it could be that affects both the upper playfield and idol?

Check fuses?

#11739 12 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Maybe DumbAss would know what can happen when you invert ram?

#11740 12 days ago

Maybe DumbAss would know what can happen when you invert ram?

Or message Chris Hibler.....

#11741 12 days ago

Yeah pulled and checked every fuse… twice.

#11742 12 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

What specifically doesn't work on them? The motors for both? Optos? Gate dropdown on the Idol?

Does the 3-bank drop target work without issue?

#11743 11 days ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

What specifically doesn't work on them? The motors for both? Optos? Gate dropdown on the Idol?

Thanks. When the game starts up it always tries to rotate the upper playfield as well as the idol. That is where it fails. Test mode fails on both. I have not tried testing anything else such as drop target bank or gate dropdown.

#11744 11 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Thanks. When the game starts up it always tries to rotate the upper playfield as well as the idol. That is where it fails. Test mode fails on both. I have not tried testing anything else such as drop target bank or gate dropdown.

This might be useful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-idol-troubleshooting-guide#post-5623060

#11745 11 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Motors or optos it sounds like

#11746 11 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

So neither motor runs at startup (with the coin door closed?). If so check and see if the 3 drop bank target is working/resetting. If not, might be the 12 volt connection for all of those boards from J118.

#11747 11 days ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

what can happen when you invert ram?

Software will not execute (properly). It can also possibly damage the IC. The ASIC is supposed to prevent abnormal latch signals by holding blanking until software initializes the system.

Quoted from Mike_M:

Gate dropdown on the Idol?

Not relevant for the software test at initialization.

Quoted from pinchamp:

Thanks. When the game starts up it always tries to rotate the upper playfield as well as the idol. That is where it fails. Test mode fails on both.

It fails. You need to elaborate on this more than just "it fails". This is like posting in a medical forum asking for opinions and saying "I have a headache. What could be causing this?"

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Motors or optos it sounds like

Probable. The software will try to operate the motors but it can only gauge feedback by reading the optos.

Quoted from Mike_M:

So neither motor runs at startup (with the coin door closed?). If so check and see if the 3 drop bank target is working/resetting. If not, might be the 12 volt connection for all of those boards from J118.

Coin door closed is irrelevant. The interlock is only for "high voltage". This is 20V (flashers) and 50V (solenoids). It does not apply to 12VU (playfield power - including motors and boards).

Quoted from pinchamp:

Swapped out all of those and the problem still persists? There's one board in the backbox involved with individual drive control (flashers/solenoids) you missed. This board is also used for switch column control in these widebody machines.

Here's what I think is happening based on what has been written. It is based solely on supposition from what has been written. I can provide no proof either for or against the diagnosis since no testing or measurements have been made.

• Examine the switches that are probably not reporting (failing).00_switch_locations.jpg00_switch_locations.jpg
  • Locate them in the switch matrix chart and look for something common.01_switch_matrix_chart.jpg01_switch_matrix_chart.jpg
  • Look for how all of them are connected to the system.02_switch_column_9_wiring_diagram.jpg02_switch_column_9_wiring_diagram.jpg

You probably have a failure on the 8-Driver Auxiliary board. This board controls the grounding of switch column 9.

Oddly enough, the Mini-Playfield Assembly and the Rotor Lock/Opto Assembly both use switches in column 9.

If you want to rule out this board then swap the board from your Twilight Zone into the Indiana Jones and see. If you're less inclined to swap a board then test the drive transistor for switch column 9. Consult the schematic to identify which transistor it is. It will correspond to solenoid 44.

#11748 11 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Software will not execute (properly). It can also possibly damage the IC. The ASIC is supposed to prevent abnormal latch signals by holding blanking until software initializes the system.

It fails. You need to elaborate on this more than just "it fails". This is like posting in a medical forum asking for opinions and saying "I have a headache. What could be causing this?"

Probable. The software will try to operate the motors but it can only gauge feedback by reading the optos.

Coin door closed is irrelevant. The interlock is only for "high voltage". This is 20V (flashers) and 50V (solenoids). It does not apply to 12VU (playfield power - including motors and boards).

Swapped out all of those and the problem still persists? There's one board in the backbox involved with individual drive control (flashers/solenoids) you missed. This board is also used for switch column control in these widebody machines.
Here's what I think is happening based on what has been written. It is based solely on supposition from what has been written. I can provide no proof either for or against the diagnosis since no testing or measurements have been made.

Examine the switches that are probably not reporting (failing).[quoted image]
Locate them in the switch matrix chart and look for something common.[quoted image]
Look for how all of them are connected to the system.[quoted image]

You probably have a failure on the 8-Driver Auxiliary board. This board controls the grounding of switch column 9.
Oddly enough, the Mini-Playfield Assembly and the Rotor Lock/Opto Assembly both use switches in column 9.
If you want to rule out this board then swap the board from your Twilight Zone into the Indiana Jones and see. If you're less inclined to swap a board then test the drive transistor for switch column 9. Consult the schematic to identify which transistor it is. It will correspond to solenoid 44.

This is awesome information. Thank you from everyone in this community!

#11749 11 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Examine the switches that are probably not reporting (failing).[quoted image]
Locate them in the switch matrix chart and look for something common.[quoted image]
Look for how all of them are connected to the system.[quoted image]

Thank you so much for this. This is truly an amazing amount of information. Coincidently I sold my TZ this week and he is picking up tonight. I am going to try and swap the boards to test your theory before TZ head out the door.

#11750 11 days ago

Wow DumbAss that is awesome. I put the board from TZ into IJ as you suggested and both the idol and mini playfield start up and test fine.

However every solenoid in the solenoid test menu is not firing EXCEPT the idol motor.

So I need to replace this board. Something else fried as well?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,419.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Long Beach, CA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,773 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 236.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/235 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.