IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240316_125513 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125843 (resized).jpg
There are 11,721 posts in this topic. You are on page 208 of 235.
#10351 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Does no one make good reproduction speaker panels?
Modfathers metal is wrong iirc

I bought one for my Fish Tales and I feel it’s a pretty good approximation. If they make them for Indy, you could try that. I bought it to install a speaker box light kit. Classic Arcades was the seller. Not sure if that’s the one people don’t like or not. I feel the FT version is pretty good.

2EF667A9-C744-4093-B0C2-C61B87CB1707 (resized).png2EF667A9-C744-4093-B0C2-C61B87CB1707 (resized).png
#10352 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I bought one for my Fish Tales and I feel it’s a pretty good approximation. If they make them for Indy, you could try that. I bought it to install a speaker box light kit. Classic Arcades was the seller. Not sure if that’s the one people don’t like or not. I feel the FT version is pretty good. [quoted image]

I was specifically talking about the grills in front of the speakers. I have this panel reproduction, it's fine. The print quality is not as sharp and it has a lite blue tint across it, mostly noticeable on the highlights. It would serve fine as a replacement for a completely broken one, my original just has some lite scratches so for now I'm going to try to buff them out.

#10353 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

So now I'm back to do I attempt to pry off the original speaker grills, or do I attempt to cut out the jackpots on the original wood panel? I'm also of the mindset that maybe the jackpot lights aren't worth the hassle. I've already talked myself out off installing the lighting board for the lost plastic. I could use some advice here.

I like the Jackpot boards and think they are worth installing. I don't recall having any problems removing the speaker grills. The jackpot holes do not have to be cut out exactly.

IJ Jackpot Board Install01 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install01 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install02 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install02 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install05 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install05 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install07 (resized).jpgIJ Jackpot Board Install07 (resized).jpg
#10354 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I like the Jackpot boards and think they are worth installing. I don't recall having any problems removing the speaker grills. The jackpot holes do not have to be cut out exactly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe I'll have another go at taking them off. I could have sworn I saw some small nails that have them tacked in place but maybe they are just held with adhesive.

I might also get up the courage to do the cut outs on the original wood. How did you go about making those cuts? I have a couple different Dremel tools that might work but I'm not that experienced with them.

#10355 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

Maybe I'll have another go at taking them off. I could have sworn I saw some small nails that have them tacked in place but maybe they are just held with adhesive.
I might also get up the courage to do the cut outs on the original wood. How did you go about making those cuts? I have a couple different Dremel tools that might work but I'm not that experienced with them.

I did use a pair of pliers to remove the nails holding the speaker grille in place. It was stubborn, but I was able to get it off safely. New nails to tack it back in place.

As for the jackpot light holes, the more accurate you can adhere to the icon shapes the better to avoid light spillage. The "black" parts of the image do not block light very well, and you can see the shape of the hole behind.

I ended up using a coping saw to do the initial cut, and smoothed things out with a Dremel.

bb40a571d2c6b8b8ecc30e628a8826e8d138eaac (resized).jpgbb40a571d2c6b8b8ecc30e628a8826e8d138eaac (resized).jpg
#10356 1 year ago

One more thing you might consider...

I put a barrier of foam tape between each hole to prevent light from one treasure spilling over to the one beside it.

#10357 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I haven’t found good repros. I took a chance on modfather ones and i really didn’t like the metal.
I wonder if someone clever could just make a stencil to repaint the originals? I’m not crafty enough to to create the stencil, but I could buy one…

I made a stencil file for them that can be cut out with a cricut. Fair warning that they're a huge pain in the ass to apply and then remove after painting because they have so many small "floating" bits. PM me if you want the file.

Also I could not find the grill material with the original hole pattern after much searching; the one I finally ended up using is fairly close.

IMG_4143 (resized).jpgIMG_4143 (resized).jpgIMG_4153 (resized).jpgIMG_4153 (resized).jpgIMG_4154 (resized).jpgIMG_4154 (resized).jpgIMG_4158 (resized).jpgIMG_4158 (resized).jpgIMG_4167 2 (resized).JPGIMG_4167 2 (resized).JPG
#10358 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I made a stencil file for them that can be cut out with a cricut. Fair warning that they're a huge pain in the ass to apply and then remove after painting because they have so many small "floating" bits. PM me if you want the file.
Also I could not find the grill material with the original hole pattern after much searching; the one I finally ended up using is fairly close.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those turned out really nice. I can see how that all can be tedious to work with. I kind of wondered if there would a local business I could hand them the grills and the stencil file and they could silk screen print it onto them. I'll probably PM you for the file if only for a back up incase I go this route.

#10359 1 year ago

Mike_M

What paint and colors did you use to spray those?

#10360 1 year ago

SiN13 - I'm guessing the originals were silkscreened. There are places online that will make custom silkscreens for a decent price; would definitely be the way to go if you needed more than 1 set.

Chosen_S I used Rustoleum rattle cans- Summer Squash for the base and Colonial Red for the stencil. Both satin finishes.

#10361 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

SiN13 - I'm guessing the originals were silkscreened. There are places online that will make custom silkscreens for a decent price; would definitely be the way to go if you needed more than 1 set.
Chosen_S I used Rustoleum rattle cans- Summer Squash for the base and Colonial Red for the stencil. Both satin finishes.

Thank you Mike

#10362 1 year ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

One more thing you might consider...
I put a barrier of foam tape between each hole to prevent light from one treasure spilling over to the one beside it.

Where did you source this at? I had this on my shopping list anyway if I'm going to move the DMD to a new panel. I thought maybe beer seal would work but that stuff doesn't seem thick enough or dense enough. I'm guessing a hardware store might have it in the weather stripping section?

#10363 1 year ago

I bought some weather stripping rolls off of Amazon. Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082PMZY3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
It's thin, but dense. Maybe too dense to have the sort of give you might want behind the DMD, but you can get spongier weather stripping at almost any hardware store if you'd prefer.

And then I doubled or tripled it up to give it some extra height.
Every Kind of Classic CarEvery Kind of Classic Car

#10364 1 year ago

i don’t have the machine anymore, but I have this target. So this is for sale.
What’s it called (or what’s the number)
I know it’s an odd ball part.

06277561-F090-4263-8A79-327BB917BE5A (resized).jpeg06277561-F090-4263-8A79-327BB917BE5A (resized).jpeg15234DF4-63DD-45EB-BBD2-3B1E4083090B (resized).jpeg15234DF4-63DD-45EB-BBD2-3B1E4083090B (resized).jpeg
#10365 1 year ago

It’s the idol lock gate.

#10366 1 year ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

It’s the idol lock gate.

Yes that’s it lol

#10367 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes that’s it lol

Is that yellow? Or orange?

DM sent

#10368 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

TLDR; Is there a way to safely remove the speaker grills from the speaker panel without damaging them?
Long story here, I've been sitting on a jackpot light mod for like 15 years and I want to get this dang thing installed. I decided I didn't want to mess with doing the cut outs on the original wood panel so I ordered a CNC'd reproduction with the jackpots cut out, first one came came snapped in half but eventually got a second one that was in good shape. Initially tried to transfer all the components over to the new wood, carefully pried the art panel off, got to the speaker grills and wasn't sure how to remove them without damaging them, they appear to be tacked in with some tiny finishing nails.
I stopped in my tracks there, assembled the original speaker panel back together and decided I'll just order all the parts and build a new panel from scratch. Got a color dmd, it's great. Got a reproduction art panel, disappointed in the quality so I'll most likely use the original after polishing out some scratches. Got reproduction speaker grills, twice got poorly painted grills, and I knew going into this but they don't use the original speaker grill pattern so I don't really care for the look of them.
So now I'm back to do I attempt to pry off the original speaker grills, or do I attempt to cut out the jackpots on the original wood panel? I'm also of the mindset that maybe the jackpot lights aren't worth the hassle. I've already talked myself out off installing the lighting board for the lost plastic. I could use some advice here.

I just replaced my speaker panel with a jackpot light panel. I was able to easily remove the speaker panel screens as they are only held in place with 4 small brads. Just a little pressure from below and the heads pulled up and lifted out easily. Then nailed them back throught he same screen hole into the new speaker panel.

#10369 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is that yellow? Or orange?
DM sent

It should be Yellow

#10370 1 year ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Congrats Ke Huy Quan aka Shorty for winning the academy! Who knew you’d beat Harrison Ford at getting one first.

I came to this thread to see if anybody posted about the 2023 Oscars/Academy Awards, especially since "You Cheat Dr. Jones" is in the subject line. I thought it was great that Harrison Ford presented the award for best picture, and then Ke Huy Quan was on stage hugging Ford, and they cut away to Spielberg (whose film The Fabelmans was also a nominee) smiling and clapping.

#10371 1 year ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

I came to this thread to see if anybody posted about the 2023 Oscars/Academy Awards, especially since "You Cheat Dr. Jones" is in the subject line. I thought it was great that Harrison Ford presented the award for best picture, and then Ke Huy Quan was on stage hugging Ford, and they cut away to Spielberg (whose film The Fabelmans was also a nominee) smiling and clapping.

8167F537-989B-4DD9-9677-9D306B68F7A0 (resized).png8167F537-989B-4DD9-9677-9D306B68F7A0 (resized).png
#10372 1 year ago

Does anyone know what's up with this weird IJ mini PF I have? The hole pattern for the ball guides is different and the art is different to accommodate. I know prototype games had stainless guides, but from pictures I've seen, they used the same hole pattern as the plastic guides.

poa-2x.pngpoa-2x.png

Comparing the patterns:
poa-holes.pngpoa-holes.png

#10373 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Does anyone know what's up with this weird IJ mini PF I have? The hole pattern for the ball guides is different and the art is different to accommodate. I know prototype games had stainless guides, but from pictures I've seen, they used the same hole pattern as the plastic guides.
[quoted image]
Comparing the patterns:
[quoted image]

Check here, with Mirco's response (great restoration thread by the way):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indy-restoration-its-not-the-years-honey-its-the-mileage-/page/9#post-5540281

#10374 1 year ago
Quoted from SiN13:

[quoted image]

Yeah we have 2/5 academy award winners on the playfield (besides Steven Spielberg & John Williams). Come on Harrison!

212EF251-8CC1-40C8-A241-132B3A4CC1BD.gif212EF251-8CC1-40C8-A241-132B3A4CC1BD.gif
#10375 1 year ago

Ah I see, so it is simply the "red plastic" hole pattern on the left (the one I have in hand) and the prototype stainless pattern on the right. We got confused here because the prototype pf is shown on Mirco's site, and assumed that was the de facto pattern. This was also the new Mirco playfield HEP used in his last IJ series.

Good thread. That thread has the only picture I have seen of a stainless steel POA guide disassembled. Thanks Davi!

#10376 1 year ago
Quoted from IndianaPwns:

IJ '93 is my one and only Pinball machine as of now! I love this machine - played in nearly 2K times. Looking into getting a TZ or MMR sometimes next year. Here are some pictures I took of mine for the thread!
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see Indy had a baby lol

#10377 1 year ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Hi All,
It's been a while since i have been on pinside but I have a lot of PM's requesting my airball mod. FYI, I'm going to be making 20 sets that should be ready in two weeks or less. Watch for my ad.

I'd like to hear about airballs on IJ: haven't run into any myself . . . .

#10378 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

It's quite common for Indy games to get airballs off the 3 drop target, as well as sometimes off the single drop target. In fact WMS put the shield on the lower left of the PF to catch airballs that would otherwise go into the out lane and they also implemented ball saves to help address the problem.

The idea behind the airball protectors is to extend a plastic out over the top of the drop targets to deflect any airballs back down on to the PF

#10379 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It's quite common for Indy games to get airballs off the 3 drop target, as well as sometimes off the single drop target. In fact WMS put the shield on the lower left of the PF to catch airballs that would otherwise go into the out lane and they also implemented ball saves to help address the problem.
The idea behind the airball protectors is to extend a plastic out over the top of the drop targets to deflect any airballs back down on to the PF

The 3 bank plastic that I believe I purchased from Davi is thicker and a bit longer. Works fantastic, highly recommended!

#10380 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Newer replacement drop targets make air balls even worse. The newer targets are made with softer more flexible ABS… consequently they add a bit of upward sling to the ball. The OEM targets are more rigid… which keeps the rebounds tighter to the playfield.

The correct flipper coils also make a difference. My game had the weaker coils when I got it, however once I put the correct coils in the game … airballs were much more prevalent.

#10381 1 year ago

Still looking to join the club. Looking for a motivated seller . As rare as finding the lost ark

#10382 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I've got the correct coils in my IJ (it's an older coil, but it checks out), and while on rare occasions I've had a ball jump to the outlane, I've never had a ball hit the glass or the biplane. It's never really been a major cause for concern on my machine, anyway.

I've heard that with a protector it helps to have extra protection on the playfield by the ENT lights, because after hitting the protector it can ricochet back down and dent the playfield.

I've also tried an airball protector in the past, but took it out because I didn't like how it partially obscured the drop targets.

#10383 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

By shield Do u mean the curved “wall” near the wire form?

#10384 1 year ago

Last year I prototyped some air ball reducing targets… they worked pretty well.

I reinforced them with titanium plates.
8745AFE5-5AC9-482C-AB0E-337DCFE6BD22 (resized).jpeg8745AFE5-5AC9-482C-AB0E-337DCFE6BD22 (resized).jpeg94057E80-F7A9-4DC9-8A3F-69CFD32D4713 (resized).jpeg94057E80-F7A9-4DC9-8A3F-69CFD32D4713 (resized).jpeg

#10385 1 year ago

I ended up taking out the blue flipper coils and putting orange in. Not sure if I had bad drop targets in but they kept snapping with the blue coils?

#10386 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

By shield Do u mean the curved “wall” near the wire form?

Yes, wasn’t sure how to refer to it

#10387 1 year ago

Ok, so...is there a trick to the Raven video mode? Inevitably once I scroll one direction, one bad guy shows up at the other far end of the screen, but other shooters will show up at the opposite direction. Seems impossible to get them all...unless there is a particular strategy?

#10388 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

[quoted image]
Comparing the patterns:
[quoted image]

Looks like the one on the left side in the pic is from Mirco the art is way way off

#10389 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, so...is there a trick to the Raven video mode? Inevitably once I scroll one direction, one bad guy shows up at the other far end of the screen, but other shooters will show up at the opposite direction. Seems impossible to get them all...unless there is a particular strategy?

A strategy that works for me is to try and stay confined to one section of the screen. I think they spawn based on proximity to where you're aiming, so everytime you take a shot, quickly move back in the direction you came from. Try to stay as tight as you can to the same section.

Maybe it's in my head, but this strategy is always a guaranteed extra ball for me, and 8/10 times to get the medallion.

Bonus tip: For find the Grail, maybe you got distracted or weren't paying attention to a couple of swaps? No problem! The real Grail is the only one that makes a noise when it moves. Easy to pick back up if you lose it! I suggest adjusting the mode to begin at level 2, since it's not a challenge at level 1.

#10390 1 year ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

A strategy that works for me is to try and stay confined to one section of the screen. I think they spawn based on proximity to where you're aiming, so everytime you take a shot, quickly move back in the direction you came from. Try to stay as tight as you can to the same section.
Maybe it's in my head, but this strategy is always a guaranteed extra ball for me, and 8/10 times to get the medallion.
Bonus tip: For find the Grail, maybe you got distracted or weren't paying attention to a couple of swaps? No problem! The real Grail is the only one that makes a noise when it moves. Easy to pick back up if you lose it! I suggest adjusting the mode to begin at level 2, since it's not a challenge at level 1.

Correct, I usually veer off right and the nazis can only shoot you when they pop up in the visible screen. So I quick left to cover the ones visible and hopefully none pop up further left before I can slide back right. So confining them like Aaron’s strategy is the way

#10392 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

It should be Yellow

The original is "orangish".

#10393 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Newer replacement drop targets make air balls even worse. The newer targets are made with softer more flexible ABS… consequently they add a bit of upward sling to the ball. The OEM targets are more rigid… which keeps the rebounds tighter to the playfield.
The correct flipper coils also make a difference. My game had the weaker coils when I got it, however once I put the correct coils in the game … airballs were much more prevalent.

I've had to replace worn out decals on them, but the 3-bank drops and back-of-lane single target on mine must be the originals, which may account for the lack of airballs.

#10394 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I've been wondering about that very thing myself for a long time. I did a couple times get a so-very-brief glimpse of the EB that I presume is the top goal on Raven Bar, but never came close to scoring it. There must be some trick to this, which hopefully turns up in this thread. Who's the expert who makes all those learned 'How Best To Play ____' videos, either for YT or PAPA ? (Bowen, I think.) Kept hoping he might have addressed this.

#10395 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I've been wondering about that very thing myself for a long time. I did a couple times get a so-very-brief glimpse of the EB that I presume is the top goal on Raven Bar, but never came close to scoring it. There must be some trick to this, which hopefully turns up in this thread. Who's the expert who makes all those learned 'How Best To Play ___' videos, either for YT or PAPA ? (Bowen, I think.) Kept hoping he might have addressed this.

After the Extra Ball is the Medallion! That’s the end of the mode.

#10396 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

After the Extra Ball is the Medallion! That’s the end of the mode.

The best I've managed on that mode is about 14 Mil. points. "Medallion Not Collected" goes without saying.
On the Mine Cart, my best has been just slightly past the halfway point. (What happens if you go the distance ?)
Have nailed the guy with the big swinging sword, and reached the Idol swap.

If all or most of these modes have harder settings possible, I'm not sure I want to know.

#10397 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

The best I've managed on that mode is about 14 Mil. points. "Medallion Not Collected" goes without saying.
On the Mine Cart, my best has been just slightly past the halfway point. (What happens if you go the distance ?)
If all or most of these modes have harder settings possible, I'm not sure I want to know.

It's possible that your game is configured with harder settings - this can be done at a game or individual mode level. Also if you have your game configured for 5 ball that'll set the game to "hard" mode

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10398 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

The sword guy is just a mode shot, if you run out of time pull the trigger for 2MIL
Idol swap just hit the targets, don’t need more than 1 each round. I try and hit the targets on the right for the last shot because then the hole is open.

Practice baby!

#10399 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I've got down to 4 tunnels remaining multiple times. I'm usually holding down the correct flipper button as it crashes thorough, it must only allow one or two frames on screen before deciding if you are crashing or not. I don't honestly think it is possible to beat without memorizing a pattern.

#10400 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I've got down to 4 tunnels remaining multiple times. I'm usually holding down the correct flipper button as it crashes thorough, it must only allow one or two frames on screen before deciding if you are crashing or not. I don't honestly think it is possible to beat without memorizing a pattern.

There may be patterns, but in 20 years of playing I've never noticed them. My usual strategy is to hold down right flipper as my default direction, only letting go if necessary - for some reason I find this easier to react to than by simply going straight.

Alternately, you could hold both flipper buttons when starting a new game, crash through the fourth barrier on the right, and get the "Frog Bonus" instead of escaping the tunnels. That one is much easier to manage

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,419.00
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
There are 11,721 posts in this topic. You are on page 208 of 235.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/208 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.