New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 68869)

IJ Williams "You Cheat, Dr. Jones!" Club

By RDReynolds

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,073 posts
  • 472 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by orlandu81
  • Topic is favorited by 233 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,132 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

16031353351181194956922014565140 (resized).jpg
E93E7024-0D0C-4C4C-9C47-BDABE5D9DFD3 (resized).jpeg
AEBE8EAB-CD0C-4685-8F1D-CDBCF5C8A22F (resized).jpeg
B8D0124A-9C82-4BF5-A84B-A6CA3613FC68 (resized).jpeg
018669F9-8B77-4A08-9295-87EFFA99264D (resized).jpeg
A0637CC7-1882-4794-A1DF-E0064A95A7D5 (resized).jpeg
IJ_Backboard (resized).jpg
A4C71FA6-31BB-4853-BD59-9647D4E8A85C (resized).jpeg
5D264191-E46F-41E0-8DE3-67EE33A9FE1F (resized).jpeg
IMG_8648 (resized).JPG
793EA96D-DCA9-4F7B-B89A-484B5370B647 (resized).jpeg
F57C3185-1DF0-4518-A9E9-5829B215C695 (resized).jpeg
diode board (resized).jpg
C19D5DD8-63EA-490F-8484-1C45FD5C5DB6 (resized).jpeg
16029843950956081005797131110955 (resized).jpg
16029804601182404812709393755089 (resized).jpg

There are 7073 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 142.
#7001 2 days ago

Hi all was hoping to get any advice here. Have 9 pins and all were working perfect so it was just a matter of time, couldn’t last, and I’m ready to dive into a new problem solving exercise, sort of what makes this hobby fun for me. Have plenty of experience under the playfield of a WPC, just not this game.

Diagnosed that my Right Outlane Top switch is activating fine, but it’s also activating the Start and Buy-In switches. So when I drain ball one through the right out lane, all of a sudden I am in a two player game. Confirmed all of this in diagnostics. Coincidentally the first time it happened I played that Player 2 game and got my high score of around 790M . But if the player 2 ball one drains on the right out lane I have a 3 player game, and so on.

All three switches have GRN-BRN in common (on the Column). Nothing else on the column has issues.

This just started happening, worked fine forever.

I believe totally separate but may as well put it out there. Getting a ER SNGLE DRP. BAD, CHECK SWITCH/COIL when I go into diagnostics. My single drop target works just fine. This is pretty regular. What would set off the testing error?

In the midst of this check I also got a mini playfield motor error, but it also works just fine and doesn’t come up much. Should I be concerned?

Any advice appreciated! Really enjoy this game.

Thanks!!

#7002 2 days ago

Couple of things
Check to see if the diode under the mini playfield by the mode hole is crushed and shorting legs together.

Verify the diode for the drop target is good and is solidly connected.

Report back.

#7003 2 days ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I know a guy local to me who has a Lost plastic and original Pinbits kits for lighting it along with the speaker DMD panel and those kits have all the wiring & templates. I was going to buy those from him for my game but found another IJ which had all of that stuff factory installed. I can check to see if he still has everything so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Im just interested in the template.

Im surprised that someone hasnt posted it.

The manual shows it but has no dimensions.

#7004 2 days ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

original Pinbits kits for lighting it along with the speaker DMD panel

Pm sent

#7005 2 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im just interested in the template.
Im surprised that someone hasnt posted it.
The manual shows it but has no dimensions.

I have one ... let me find it and I will share it.

#7006 2 days ago

Here is the routing guide for the IJ lamp board. Print to 100% scale.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LxkkR9dFZEiKoj5cStd0k7YLZfBzPH36/view?usp=sharing

#7007 2 days ago

I need a template for that.
Does any one have a scan or a used one i could borrow?
Or a mechanical drawing with measurements?
I have a couple of those boards, one is led. But no template to cut the slot!

Does the slot need to be as big as the oem shown?

#7008 2 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Does the slot need to be as big as the oem shown?

I thought that initially as well. However I think you want it to be that way... to allow for more light to permeate.

I can make a template with a smaller slot if people feel it’s better... it would of course be an arbitrary length.

#7009 2 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I thought that initially as well. However I think you want it to be that way... to allow for more light to permeate.
I can make a template with a smaller slot if people feel it’s better.

Trying to decide if it’s worth all the work to remove route and replace.

#7010 2 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Trying to decide if it’s worth all the work to remove route and replace.

It’s work.

#7011 2 days ago

Here is the Pinbits kit... and the templates for reference.

C19D5DD8-63EA-490F-8484-1C45FD5C5DB6 (resized).jpeg
#7012 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Here is the Pinbits kit... and the templates for reference.
[quoted image]

Yeah, this is a mod that if anyone were to ever make with intent to sell to the community would be worthy of a substantial charge.

Drop in replacement backboard that are pre routed and drilled for plastics wireform etc...

Just swap everything over.

If anyone decides to do this I’ll be your first customer! Name you price, within reason..lol

#7013 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Yeah, this is a mod that if anyone were to ever make with intent to sell to the community would be worthy of a substantial charge.
Drop in replacement backboard that are pre routed and drilled for plastics wireform etc...
If anyone decides to do this I’ll be your first customer! Name you price, within reason..lol

I wonder if Taylor would be willing to do these? I have the same template from Pinbits and would send it to him.

#7014 1 day ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I wonder if Taylor would be willing to do these? I have the same template from Pinbits and would send it to him.

I don’t think there are very machines out there with the cutout and I think if they were available, they would sell big time. So many complain about the lack of lighting in that area.

#7015 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don’t think there are very machines out there with the cutout and I think if they were available, they would sell big time. So many complain about the lack of lighting in that area.

You also need the lamp board. I may be making that available after I get through with the deflector.

#7016 1 day ago

Agree about this. It was one of the first things I did to mine. Should’ve been on all of them.

#7017 1 day ago

Mine actually came with this complete from the factory....I was told this feature is in all sample games. Do you happen to have a routing template for the three jackpot areas?

#7018 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Mine actually came with this complete from the factory....I was told this feature is in all sample games. Do you happen to have a routing template for the three jackpot areas?

I can make that ... mine is quite intricate as it is the Pinbits version. They did a great job at making the cutout follow the artwork closely. It is best cut on a CNC... but I think there is a way to make it work with a hand router.

#7019 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I can make that ... mine is quite intricate as it is the Pinbits version. They did a great job at making the cutout follow the artwork closely.

I hate to add to the list of your things to do I have the board https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/indiana-jones-jackpot-board-5745.html

#7020 1 day ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Couple of things
Check to see if the diode under the mini playfield by the mode hole is crushed and shorting legs together.
Verify the diode for the drop target is good and is solidly connected.
Report back.

I may have uncovered more than I thought as an issue. The drop target error is moot, after doing further research, it was err'ing because the coin door was open, covering that switch solves the drop target issue test.

But onto the real issue - Looking at the diode board, it's fine, nothing crushed (picture attached). But with the game pulled apart, this is what I've found, it's basically more switches doing the same thing. Everything that is not listed below is testing as it should:
Right Outlane Top switch - also triggers Start and Buy-in switches (GRN-BRN column in common)
Right Outlane Bottom switch - also triggers ADVENTU(R)E TRGT and ADV(E)NTURE TRGT (GRN-BLK column in common)
IND(Y) Lane switch - also triggers COIN DOOR CLOSED and TICKET OPTO (GRN-RED column in common)
MINI BOTTOM LEFT - also triggers A(D)VENTURE TRGT and AD(V)ENTURE TRGT (GRN-BLUE column in common)
MINIM BOTTOM RIGHT - dead, but may be unrelated

All of these are on the White-GRY/RED/ORG row (if that helps, one of each in the trio when the error happens).

Really appreciate any help, which I'm comfortable in there, this is over my head.

diode board (resized).jpg
#7021 1 day ago

Here is an easy alternative to lighting the rope bridge. I used a warm white LED strip above the rope bridge and tied it into 12v power supply used for idol lock, trough and pinstadium lights.

793EA96D-DCA9-4F7B-B89A-484B5370B647 (resized).jpegF57C3185-1DF0-4518-A9E9-5829B215C695 (resized).jpeg
#7022 1 day ago

It sounds like you have a bad switch diode, but first, you need to look under the mini playfield, near the mode hole on the playfield, there is a switch that often times gets hit by the ball, which in turn pushes the diode into the micro switch body and legs, causing the machine to see the diode as shorted, which in turn causes all kinds of issues with the switches in that column/row. Check that first. There are pics somewhere on this thread showing the switch and fixes to keep the diode from shorting to the switch legs

I’m hoping this is the issue and it will be a quick fix. Use a mirror so you don’t have to remove the mini playfield to inspect.

#7023 1 day ago
Quoted from Devo10:

Here is an easy alternative to lighting the rope bridge. I used a warm white LED strip above the rope bridge and tied it into 12v power supply used for idol lock, trough and pinstadium lights.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any pics of the actual strip? How long is it and where did you get it?

#7024 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I will be making backboards available once I get the deflector in customers hands.

They will come painted with new t-nuts and playfield mounting screws.

#7025 1 day ago
Quoted from Billc479:

It sounds like you have a bad switch diode, but first, you need to look under the mini playfield, near the mode hole on the playfield, there is a switch that often times gets hit by the ball, which in turn pushes the diode into the micro switch body and legs, causing the machine to see the diode as shorted, which in turn causes all kinds of issues with the switches in that column/row. Check that first. There are pics somewhere on this thread showing the switch and fixes to keep the diode from shorting to the switch legs
I’m hoping this is the issue and it will be a quick fix. Use a mirror so you don’t have to remove the mini playfield to inspect.

Thank you. I thought you meant under the playfield. Attached is what I've got, not sure exactly what it's supposed to look like, but pretty sure not like this, looks pretty mangled. Will start straightening some metal

IMG_8648 (resized).JPG
#7026 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Thank you. I thought you meant under the playfield. Attached is what I've got, not sure exactly what it's supposed to look like, but pretty sure not like this, looks pretty mangled. Will start straightening some metal
[quoted image]

Thats a common problem on IJ. I think @richochet actually had a protector made for that area

#7027 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats a common problem on IJ. I think @richochet actually had a protector made for that area

Cliffy has them... he’s the one that made them.

#7028 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Glad for this forum/community and your help, how great, thank you. Took me 15 minutes to repair and play a game of Medeivel Madness with my kid (which took 14 and a half minutes). I already had visions of pulling my CPU board, getting U20 socketed (it's soldered on this board), etc.

#7029 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Cliffy has them... he’s the one that made them.

Already sent Cliff an email!

#7030 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Already sent Cliff an email!

U might want to get ricochet right out lane guard as well (Cliff makes these as well)....its another problem area he helped resolve...my kids love MMR as well

#7031 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I will be making backboards available once I get the deflector in customers hands.
The will come painted with new t-nuts and playfield mounting screws.

Put me on your list..I’ll gladly be your first customer on this!

#7032 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

U might want to get ricochet right out lane guard

Any one have a picture of this?

#7033 1 day ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Any one have a picture of this?

Here you go.

5D264191-E46F-41E0-8DE3-67EE33A9FE1F (resized).jpegA4C71FA6-31BB-4853-BD59-9647D4E8A85C (resized).jpeg
#7034 1 day ago
Quoted from dancosta:

Here you go.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What exactly does this do for gameplay?

#7035 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Forces thr ball to actually hit the exit switch.

Should have had it originally.

#7036 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Forces thr ball to actually hit the exit switch

... and you will not get awarded Narrow Escape when you are not deserving of it.

#7037 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Agree with @pinballreno should have been there all along

#7038 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Agree with @pinballreno should have been there all along

Ditto

#7039 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

... and you will not get awarded Narrow Escape when you are not deserving of it.

You still making them?

If yes, I’ll take one and you can ship with mode scoop.

#7040 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I can make that ... mine is quite intricate as it is the Pinbits version. They did a great job at making the cutout follow the artwork closely. It is best cut on a CNC... but I think there is a way to make it work with a hand router.

I did mine with a coping saw and a Dremel.
IJ Backboard
Like the Pinbits version, I wanted to match it to the artwork so I wasn't lighting up the black areas to make it an ugly brown. Worked great!

#7041 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

The will come painted with new t-nuts and playfield mounting screws.

Im in for this!

Add me to the first batch.

#7042 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You still making them?
If yes, I’ll take one and you can ship with mode scoop.

Gotta order from Cliff

Quoted from AaronZOOM:

I did mine with a coping saw and a Dremel.
[quoted image]
Like the Pinbits version, I wanted to match it to the artwork so I wasn't lighting up the black areas to make it an ugly brown. Worked great!

Looks great

#7043 1 day ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Gotta order from Cliff

Looks great

Didn’t someone say ricochet made it a few posts back?

#7044 1 day ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t someone say ricochet made it a few posts back?

He farmed it out to cliff.

#7045 1 day ago

Ok

#7046 1 day ago

Yeah ... it’s smack dab in his wheelhouse and isn’t anything unique really. This was before I decided to tackle the scoop. Now I’m in a better position to make this stuff but I’m glad he’s making them and they are now on his website.

#7047 1 day ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yeah ... it’s smack dab in his wheelhouse and isn’t anything unique really. This was before I decided to tackle the scoop. Now I’m in a better position to make this stuff but I’m glad he’s making them and they are now on his website.

Please put me on your list for the Mod Hole mod fix and right outlane guide plate. Pretty Please. Way late to the party and just caught up on 15 pages.
Need to email Cliffy next for Poa diode protector. Pm Sent

#7048 1 day ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Please put me on your list for the Mod Hole mod fix and right outlane guide plate. Pretty Please. Way late to the party and just caught up on 15 pages.
Need to email Cliffy next for Poa diode protector. Pm Sent

Get the right outlane guide from Cliff. I gave it to him for his IJ offerings.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/ijpros.htm

I’ll put you in the deflector list

#7049 1 day ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I noticed my switch on the mini playfield above the mode hole was hit and touching all contacts. Does this actually short anything else out like the U20 chip or does it get corrected once you straighten it out? I have rows 1,2,3,4,5,7, shorted to ground. Mini playfield bad chk. switches/mtr. Idol bad chk switches/mtr. Switch 94 and 95 left and right mini playfield. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

#7050 1 day ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

I noticed my switch on the mini playfield above the mode hole was hit and touching all contacts. Does this actually short anything else out like the U20 chip or does it get corrected once you straighten it out? I have rows 1,2,3,4,5,7, shorted to ground. Mini playfield bad chk. switches/mtr. Idol bad chk switches/mtr. Switch 94 and 95 left and right mini playfield. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

In essence, all sorts of things can happen.

Straighten it and test.
Check the diode isnt busted off.

Start there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 7073 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside