New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 68869)

IJ Williams "You Cheat, Dr. Jones!" Club

By RDReynolds

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,705 posts
  • 462 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 minutes ago by 3pinballs
  • Topic is favorited by 226 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,085 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200729_203824 (resized).jpg
20200729_203818 (resized).jpg
20200729_203811 (resized).jpg
20200919_141823 (resized).jpg
6475D190-A20F-49A8-BBF9-AC4367D300E2 (resized).jpeg
F8C61827-C777-4CFB-ABA3-75D42EFB76D4 (resized).jpeg
3DF3C5CC-8D2A-471F-AB8F-BCF4A998BA1A (resized).jpeg
20200922_122512 (resized).jpg
20200922_131732 (resized).jpg
20200922_131723 (resized).jpg
20200922_132649 (resized).jpg
20200922_132639 (resized).jpg
20200922_132629 (resized).jpg
2A591C3A-58D0-440D-812C-EA708A021A8A (resized).jpeg
4C1A9BA4-982A-4E7F-BD7F-35A2E218D864 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5270 (resized).jpg

There are 6705 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 135.
#6601 9 days ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Ok I bought both of these and will try them. Where did you apply the tape? I think the rattle comes from the sides...did you apply around the side edges?

I applied the tape, full strip, on top of the glass but only half of the tape sticking to the glass and used a blade guided by the edge of the glass to cut the second half. Both strips on top left / right of the glass will be hidden when you slide it back in and it will be much tighter of a slide.

#6602 9 days ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Still the original translite, I am going to try and airbrush those scratches you showed me on the white backing. I am trying to keep as many of the original parts as I can. The entire cabinet is done except for the Warning/Patent text on the backbox, I am now restoring the playfield.
I currently have a Mirco playfield installed for the time being, and once I'm done fixing up this original PF and clearcoating I will do a "quick" hot swap back to the original. Right now I am color matching. I got JB wood putty around the worn areas and airbrushed. All I've repainted so far was the mode start eject hole. It used up a good chunk of the putty, and then I airbrush around it and fade it into the wood, needs just a tiny amount of red mixed into the paint.
[quoted image]

Wow thst looks nice!
I know the orbits were pretty trashed but, its gonna be a collectors item when done!

#6603 9 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I applied the tape, full strip, on top of the glass but only half of the tape sticking to the glass and used a blade guided by the edge of the glass to cut the second half. Both strips on top left / right of the glass will be hidden when you slide it back in and it will be much tighter of a slide.

I applied mine all the way across the top and bottom, and that did the trick. You have to see how much of a gap u have on the sides. If the gap is big enough u can apply there as well.

#6604 8 days ago

Shooting for having the mode hole deflector ready by the end of next week (fingers crossed). If the demand is there... I will have it available for sale on my pinside shop "Pin-Ups". There is another solution out there that just popped up today (spacers to drop the saucer and hardware)... seems like a good solution as well.

I will provide installation instructions and I will post a video of my solution in action once I get it finalized. PM me if you are interested... so I can get an idea of the initial quantity that I will need to get fabbed. Again, IF I get a decent amount of interest... I will stock it, if not then I will just sell them one-zee two-zee. I will also be selling some other items in the near future... simple stuff to make your game play better or easier to customize.

Thanks for being a part of this project... all your comments and help were very valuable.
Jim

#6605 8 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I applied mine all the way across the top and bottom, and that did the trick. You have to see how much of a gap u have on the sides. If the gap is big enough u can apply there as well.

Yes, I would have added more if the rattle had not went away. Good additional info, thanks.

20200915_162402.jpg20200915_162406.jpg20200915_162410.jpg
#6606 8 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Yes, I would have added more if the rattle had not went away. Good additional info, thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! I will copy this and see what happens. By the way I have that key chain on my IJ too!

#6607 8 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Shooting for having the mode hole deflector ready by the end of next week (fingers crossed). If the demand is there... I will have it available for sale on my pinside shop "Pin-Ups". There is another solution out there that just popped up today (spacers to drop the saucer and hardware)... seems like a good solution as well.
I will provide installation instructions and I will post a video of my solution in action once I get it finalized. PM me if you are interested... so I can get an idea of the initial quantity that I will need to get fabbed. Again, IF I get a decent amount of interest... I will stock it, if not then I will just sell them one-zee two-zee. I will also be selling some other items in the near future... simple stuff to make your game play better or easier to customize.
Thanks for being a part of this project... all your comments and help were very valuable.
Jim

Ill take one now!

#6608 8 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

I'm in as well

#6609 8 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Quoted from pinballinreno:
Ill take one now!
Quoted from Ricochet:
Jim
I'm in as well

Jim, you know you can count me in as well! Nothing I love more than a nicely shaped piece of metal.

I may also get the other underplay field modifier and do a combo/compare contrast!

#6610 8 days ago

Anyone think that the under pf mod will cause more wear to the hole since ball will sit lower?

I do have a cliffy installed but it doesn’t cover the entire edge/lip.

#6611 8 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone think that the under pf mod will cause more wear to the hole since ball will sit lower?
I do have a cliffy installed but it doesn’t cover the entire edge/lip.

I had the same thought. Messaged the seller privately with this concern and they just sent me a video of them throwing the ball into the scoop a couple of times. I share your concern.

#6612 8 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

im in for one when they are ready

#6613 8 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

I am also in, great job.

#6614 8 days ago

Ricochet... I'll take one too.
Thanks
Kerry

#6615 8 days ago

count me in, Ricochet

#6616 8 days ago

In too!

#6617 8 days ago

I’ll take one as well!

#6618 8 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’ll take one as well!

I'm in also...

#6619 7 days ago

Interested!

#6621 7 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

Put me on the list for the mode hole deflector.
Looks awesome!

Steve

#6622 7 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

Add me to the list

#6623 7 days ago

Hi guys,
I'm finishing rebuilding my IJ.
I'm experiencing an issue with idols optos. Issue was not occuring before disassembly.
Idol tests bad. Only one of the 3 idols optos is working. It's switch 91. switches 92 and 93 are not working.
I did test all 3 transmitters with my camera and I can see light from all of them.
I swapped receiver from switch 91 (which is known to be working) with receiver from switch 92. Switch 91 is still working and switch 92 still not.
I think the problem does not come neither from opto transmitters nor from receivers.
All other switches from row 2 and 3 are working perfectly and column 9 is fine too because switches 91,94 and 95 are working.
At this time, for me, the only thing that could be faulty is the 3 opto board under playfield (but I could be wrong)
LM339 on the board could be partially working. I did diode test between leg 12 and all other leg. It tests exactly the same as a brand new LM339.
Any clue? I don't know what to do next.
Thanks.

#6624 7 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Shooting for having the mode hole deflector ready by the end of next week (fingers crossed). If the demand is there...

I will take one.

#6625 7 days ago
Quoted from legui:

Hi guys,
I'm finishing rebuilding my IJ.
I'm experiencing an issue with idols optos. Issue was not occuring before disassembly.
Idol tests bad. Only one of the 3 idols optos is working. It's switch 91. switches 92 and 93 are not working.
I did test all 3 transmitters with my camera and I can see light from all of them.
I swapped receiver from switch 91 (which is known to be working) with receiver from switch 92. Switch 91 is still working and switch 92 still not.
I think the problem does not come neither from opto transmitters nor from receivers.
All other switches from row 2 and 3 are working perfectly and column 9 is fine too because switches 91,94 and 95 are working.
At this time, for me, the only thing that could be faulty is the 3 opto board under playfield (but I could be wrong)
LM339 on the board could be partially working. I did diode test between leg 12 and all other leg. It tests exactly the same as a brand new LM339.
Any clue? I don't know what to do next.
Thanks.

Swap out the 3 opto board.

#6626 7 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Jim

Please add me to the list, thanks!

#6627 7 days ago

Swap out the 3 opto board.

I wish I had one in another machine but I don't.

I replaced U1 a LM339 IC but nothing changed.

#6628 5 days ago

Im tweaking gameplay on my newly shopped game.

I dont like that the right orbit ends up on the left sling.

Other tweaks are to install the Davi airball plastic while i have the POA off.

Although its better than sdtm lol.

I think some bending of the left part of the flatrail is in order

#6629 5 days ago

Im tweaking gameplay on my newly shopped game.
I dont like that the right orbit ends up on the left sling.
Other tweaks are to install the Davi airball plastic while i have the POA off.
Although its better than sdtm lol.
I think some bending of the left part of the flatrail is in order

Yeah I just noticed mine does the opposite - the left to right orbit hits the right sling, other direction is perfect. I believe I could adjust the level or the guide rail but not sure if I care too much.

Let me know how it goes though. Curious if you can get perfect left/right orbits that go right to the flippers

On the other hand, just tuned my POA & Mode lock. Both are perfect. Mode eject locks close to 100% from both flippers now and the eject perfectly places the ball to the left flipper

Just feels new now

#6630 5 days ago

Actually weird thing is I got some games in last night and today and both left & right orbits now are making perfect loops. Strange but I’ll take it. Now if I can get the ball to 100% drop into the POA it will be brand new

#6631 5 days ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Actually weird thing is I got some games in last night and today and both left & right orbits now are making perfect loops. Strange but I’ll take it. Now if I can get the ball to 100% drop into the POA it will be brand new

I had to jack up the rear of my game a lot to get the ball into the POA every time. The levelers are maxed out and I put a piece of 1/2 plywood under them to get it up high enough.

#6632 4 days ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

I had to jack up the rear of my game a lot to get the ball into the POA every time. The levelers are maxed out and I put a piece of 1/2 plywood under them to get it up high enough.

Yeah I think the level is perfect so I’m willing to forgo this. It’s 7-8 out of 10 going in rn so it’s fine. May try and washer the top bolts out but not anytime soon. That lock pin is touchy and don’t want to interfere with that. Fix the nose, cut off the ears

#6633 4 days ago

Make certain the tabs on the ramp are bent properly.
6481F750-BC60-4380-A426-C507367E5126 (resized).jpeg

#6634 4 days ago

They are. Actually took a while to tune them so the ball drops center. The issue is the ball just skips the POA altogether 2 out of 10 times. Not sure if I need a quicker coil, but obviously setting the back legs up high helps but it’s set just right now so I really don’t want to increase the height just for a couple misses. I’ll play with it at a later date. Definitely getting the mode locks 1000% improved the game. Got to Wizard on 1 ball today only 1 day after tuning it. Took me almost 2 years to get Wizard prior

#6635 4 days ago

Ricochet I’m in for two

#6636 4 days ago

They are. Actually took a while to tune them so the ball drops center. The issue is the ball just skips the POA altogether 2 out of 10 times. Not sure if I need a quicker coil, but obviously setting the back legs up high helps but it’s set just right now so I really don’t want to increase the height just for a couple misses. I’ll play with it at a later date. Definitely getting the mode locks 1000% improved the game. Got to Wizard on 1 ball today only 1 day after tuning it. Took me almost 2 years to get Wizard prior

I had problems with that. It cheesy but I put a little bit of duct tape in the ramp before the pin. Literally never had a problem again.

#6637 4 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I had problems with that. It cheesy but I put a little bit of duct tape in the ramp before the pin. Literally never had a problem again.

Where did you put the duct tape? Got a pic?

#6638 4 days ago

Where did you put the duct tape? Got a pic?

This helped a ton. My post would release and the ball would just roll right on by. But if your post isn’t going up fast enough to catch it, you could put some farther “upstream” to slow it.

D47F8B00-7CDE-448D-B5B4-38A8E3DBA377 (resized).jpeg

Edit: you know, of course, that there are certain times the post doesn’t come up (like jackpots) and that’s by design. Just to be sure

#6639 4 days ago

There are a few other things to try... rather than jacking up your machine.

Make certain that the ramp tabs that mount it to the back panel are not out of whack. They should rest against the back panel flush, and the ramp should sit with just a sight tilt forward.
Make certain that the post that holds up the side ramp (along the edge of the the POA) is the right height. When you install the bridge there should be tension on the exit tab of the bridge against the base of the side ramp.

I don't like modifying, bending or filing things... however ... if you can't get it to work without pitching your machine you could try the following:
- Shave a little off of that 3-1/2" standoff that holds the side ramp. That will make the ramp pitch towards the poa slightly. Just make certain there is always some tension on the exit tab of the bridge.
- Add a spacer (washer) to the top two tabs of the bridge, to get it to pitch forward a bit.

Just a couple of ideas.

#6640 4 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This helped a ton. My post would release and the ball would just roll right on by. But if your post isn’t going up fast enough to catch it, you could put some farther “upstream” to slow it.
Edit: you know, of course, that there are certain times the post doesn’t come up (like jackpots) and that’s by design. Just to be sure

Just to avoid confusion, note that the post is UP by default. It's pulled down to let balls pass by for jackpots or the rope bridge mode, but up is always the default position, because the solenoid has to be active for the post to drop or hold down.

#6641 4 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Make certain that the ramp tabs that mount it to the back panel are not out of whack. They should rest against the back panel flush, and the ramp should sit with just a sight tilt forward.

This is almost certainly the issue. Don't tilt the whole machine, just make sure the feeder ramp tilts forward the slightest bit, but be sure the post isn't touching the sides of the hole and still moves freely.
Don't want to bend anything? ricochet's spacer washer solution is your safe and reversible bet.

#6642 4 days ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

This is almost certainly the issue. Don't tilt the whole machine, just make sure the feeder ramp tilts forward the slightest bit, but be sure the post isn't touching the sides of the hole and still moves freely.
Don't want to bend anything? ricochet's spacer washer solution is your safe and reversible bet.

Yeah, those ramps are hard enough without more steepness. Find another solution.

#6643 3 days ago

Hey guys - in case anyone is interested I have one set of these left now and am hoping to ship a bunch of things mid next week. No plans to make any more any time soon.
Give me a shout if interested. Cheers

IMG_5270 (resized).jpg
#6644 3 days ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Put washer spacers to tilt it. The tape technique looks legit as well. If the spacers don’t help I’ll try some tape

#6645 3 days ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

hooting for having the mode hole deflector ready by the end of next week (fingers crossed). If the demand is there... I will have it available for sale on my pinside shop "Pin-Ups". There is another solution out there that just popped up today (spacers to drop the saucer and hardware)... seems like a good solution as well.

Ricochet, please count me in for a deflector as well.

#6646 2 days ago

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Put washer spacers to tilt it. The tape technique looks legit as well. If the spacers don’t help I’ll try some tape

yea the last thing u want to do in IJ is steepen those ramps. I'd set the game at 6.5-6.8 degrees and call it good

#6647 2 days ago

New to the club and loving it. what a great pin!

My start mode is getting a bunch of kick-outs. Best way I've found is from the left flipper cradled. Really hard to hit with the right flipper and when I do, it bounces back out. I looked for a "sticky post" of common issues/fixes, couldn't find. Any help appreciated!

#6648 2 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

My start mode is getting a bunch of kick-outs. Best way I've found is from the left flipper cradled. Really hard to hit with the right flipper and when I do, it bounces back out. I looked for a "sticky post" of common issues/fixes, couldn't find. Any help appreciated!

Look up this page and the previous. ricochet has a solution for you

#6649 2 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

The best solution is to buy the new deflector @richochet has been developing for several months....its a game changer

#6650 2 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

yea the last thing u want to do in IJ is steepen those ramps. I'd set the game at 6.5-6.8 degrees and call it good

So it works now. Just put 1 of these on the upper left bridge flap. Made sure the pin had ample room to clear the hole. Works 100% now. Ok, now I’ve got zero excuses to not play shitty any more. Pin is 100% working now. Whew

2A591C3A-58D0-440D-812C-EA708A021A8A (resized).jpeg4C1A9BA4-982A-4E7F-BD7F-35A2E218D864 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 22.50
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Clovis, CA
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 50.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 11.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Olive Township, NJ
$ 55.00
$ 25.00
$ 37.50
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Falling Waters, WV
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 1,348.00
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oviedo, FL
There are 6705 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 135.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside