IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7323 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240316_125513 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240316_125843 (resized).jpg
There are 11,721 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 235.
#601 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Can anyone tell me where this piece is supposed to go? Thought I took all the pictures I'd need, but I can't find this one. Thanks!
IJ.jpg

It goes next to the through kickout,
Look at the picture with the apron removed, See those 2 screw holes where the ball comes out?
It goes there

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

It goes next to the through kickout,

Thank you!

After a rebuild of the ball shooter and flippers I should be back up and running. Color DMD arrives today.

1 week later
#603 8 years ago

Just completed my Pinsound board and speaker upgrade - a whole new experience playing this fantastic game. Just need some help to get through the shootout mode in the bar. Anyone get through this yet? seems I can't keep up with the little beggars. Such a great variety of shots in this game - and the animations on the color DMD are second to none.

#604 8 years ago

I think it's pretty random as to where the guys pop out of in the bar. If you're on the right side, you'll get a bunch on the right, but they'll sneak a few on the left to shoot at you if you're not paying attention. If you're on the left, vice versa. Every now and then I get lucky and hit the extra ball swinging doors, and I think I only finished the shoot out once or twice.

#605 8 years ago

Thanks. All the modes are tough by the looks of it, but so much fun. Going to do a bit of dismantling and send stuff off for electroplating. Fully chrome gun or black?

#606 8 years ago

Black nickel plating on the gun. You can thank me later.

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Black nickel plating on the gun. You can thank me later.

I'll thank you now if you can tell me who is still doing black nickel plating.

#608 8 years ago

Mike Chestnut. That's who did mine.

#609 8 years ago

Oh...and you're welcome.

#610 8 years ago

I was told he no longer does black nickel plating..... How long ago did you have this done

#611 8 years ago

End of last year.

#612 8 years ago

I also had Mike Chestnut do my gun in black nickel with chrome trigger as well as brassing the apron and ramps wire forms. They turned out super fantastic!!! I'll post some pics this afternoon. Bryan Kelly did my restoration due to my lack of skills!

#613 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#614 8 years ago

mmmmmmm nice. Looks like I'll imitate - the sincerest form of flattery (first time Brain has been flattered )

1 week later
#615 8 years ago

Hi All,

Question for you, I imported an IJ from Japan. Japan actually electric is 100V (in Tokyo).... we are at 120V here in the U.S.

Do any of you know the best way for me to test if the transformer is set up correctly for the U.S. I have looked around all over the web and from appearances it looks like the jumpers are in the right place for the U.S. (which means that it was not set up for Japan, but worked just fine while it was there).

So maybe I am being overly paranoid, I would love to check the the voltages coming out of the transformer, but not sure how to check that....

Thanks
Jim

P.S., that gun handle looks really nice.

#616 8 years ago

Anyone want to sell or trade me their IJ!?!?!? Please.

#617 8 years ago

I have a beautifully restored sample game (factory installed lost plastic, metal rails on POA, jackpot lights on DMD, no buy in button) that I'm debating on putting up for sale. It would be very expensive though. I am recovering from surgery but in a couple weeks when I'm back on my feet and better I planned on making a final decision on what games I'm going to sell off.

#618 8 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I have a beautifully restored sample game (factory installed lost plastic, metal rails on POA, jackpot lights on DMD, no buy in button) that I'm debating on putting up for sale. It would be very expensive though. I am recovering from surgery but in a couple weeks when I'm back on my feet and better I planned on making a final decision on what games I'm going to sell off.

Keep me posted.

#619 8 years ago

So I recently bought a very nicely restored IJ with playfield protector and Lost Plastic in place and it looks/plays the part. Very happy about my purchase, because this was easily my most favorite pin when I was in college in the '90s. However, there are now two things:
- the lock area doesn't register locks anymore. The machine will go in ball search mode and eventually the ball appears at the idol and is released after some time. Play continues as usual, but you can't lock balls towards multiball/Jackpot play (if you do, it repeats aformentioned behaviour). Around the time this thing started, in one game it also seemed to have lost track of a ball and without moving on to the next ball, it fed a ball in the plunger lane. I could then play with 2 balls, but with one draining, it counted as a drained ball. Not sure if that is related to the problem though. I'm a fairly non-technical noob but willing to learn: is this a faulty opto in the lock area? The lock standup targets behave normal as far as I can see, and the left green light is on. At startup there is no mention of a fault when"testing". Switching the machine on/off had no effect. I'm not sure how to proceed, so any help is welcome!
- the second thing is flipper angle. I got it with really flat flipper angles (upwards). When down they seem positioned well (the tips are just above the tiny holes that seem to be there to measure the down position?). If pressed, the flippers just go above horizontal (to the eye), and it's very hard to cradle balls. You can't backhand balls from the left flipper towards the mode hole, and backhanding balls to the lock area from the right is very difficult and often become unwanted post transfers I know some Williams/Bally tables have those flat angles but I don't remember that from IJ back in the day. Also, I have seen footage of other IJ pins that show sharper upward angles and more "crade-able" ball action. Is this adjustable (again, bit of a noob here)? And if so how?
Appreciated!
Slam23

#620 8 years ago

I had similar issues with my IJ. The opto at the ball popper was not working (should be open but test switch matrix showed it closed). I just replaced the set of optos and that was resolved. Damn near unplayable without that working. Your other problem sounds like it may be a ball trough opto issue, and also similar to the one I had. One of the optos had gone bad in the ball trough and had to replace that. You can also buy a new & improved ball trough opto board set.

Flippers, you may want to try slightly bending back the flipper mech tab which will allow the flippers to extend a bit further.

#621 8 years ago

Finally finished restoring my Indiana Jones. Still missing the Bi-plane but very happy to be cheating Dr. Jones.

Not sure if I have an issue or not. Two items hoping for feedback on, 1. how often should the set of three drop targets reset? 2. How the heck do i get the ball to drop in the Adventure Path aka it always rolls past.

Thanks!

#622 8 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Finally finished restoring my Indiana Jones. Still missing the Bi-plane but very happy to be cheating Dr. Jones.
Not sure if I have an issue or not. Two items hoping for feedback on, 1. how often should the set of three drop targets reset? 2. How the heck do i get the ball to drop in the Adventure Path aka it always rolls past.
Thanks!

??? You're missing your biplane? I have an old spare. It's yellowed (for that retro look!) but it's a biplane. They sell replacement ones as well.

Don't remember how often the drops reset...I thought it was after you lock 3 balls for the multiball and it starts the process again. Or if you're doing the steal the stones mod where you have to keep hitting the targets. Sorry if that's wrong...I haven't had my machine since January.

I had my machine jacked all the way up in the back to keep the ball from flying off ramps. Game was lightning fast even pitched that high. What angle do you have the PF at? Usually it should be 6.5, but you might want to consider putting those back legs all the way up, especially if you can't get down the POA.

#623 8 years ago

The game is a German import and doesn't have a level, I have the back legs all the way up but it still seems slow. in truth the game was in really bad shape when I got it. Worst shop job I have had to deal with. To the point my wife's hobby support has been pushed to the limits. Based on your feedback my drop targets sound like they are working correctly but I'm thinking something is up with the playfield pitch.

Thank you for the follow up post.

I'll PM you about your plane.

Thanks,
Waldo

#624 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I had similar issues with my IJ. The opto at the ball popper was not working (should be open but test switch matrix showed it closed). I just replaced the set of optos and that was resolved. Damn near unplayable without that working. Your other problem sounds like it may be a ball trough opto issue, and also similar to the one I had. One of the optos had gone bad in the ball trough and had to replace that. You can also buy a new & improved ball trough opto board set.
Flippers, you may want to try slightly bending back the flipper mech tab which will allow the flippers to extend a bit further.

Thanks for the reply! I'll get a friend to look at it with me and take your advice to probably replace the opto's. I'm not really sure what the flipper mech tab is, but I'll go study on it!

#625 8 years ago

I don't really know what that piece is called, but it's the back end with the rubber grommet that only allows the shaft to extend so far.

flippers.jpgflippers.jpg

#626 8 years ago

It's the whole bracket where the coil and coil stopper is mounted on.
It's called flipper bracket http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-13104-L

#627 8 years ago

I have one IJ specific.
A ball gets stuck every once in a while under the right ramp.

Picture:

download_20150810_180145.jpegdownload_20150810_180145.jpeg

Any nice (read: non-hacky) way to solve this?

#628 8 years ago

You're missing a U-shaped metal piece between the ramp and plastic.

IJ.jpgIJ.jpg

#629 8 years ago

Can I get a part number or a link to that item?

#630 8 years ago

And officially in the club, now waiting for the game to arrive.

#631 8 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

And officially in the club, now waiting for the game to arrive.

Congrats and welcome!!!

#632 8 years ago

Congrats on the pickup. Finally I have my IJ finished and working... definitely a family favorite.

IJ1.jpgIJ1.jpg
IJ2.jpgIJ2.jpg
IJ3.jpgIJ3.jpg

#633 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Finally I have my IJ finished and working

Are those cool/natural white LEDs in the GI and backglass?

I joined the club a few weeks ago. Actually, for a few days - we will likely be "double members" as Tommy's Jones will be sleeping over at our place until he can pick it up.

Loving the game. Can't wait to put the Pinsound card in it.

#634 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Are those cool/natural white LEDs in the GI and backglass?

One thing I noticed right away when the machine came with incandescent... the backglass looked way too samey. This picture is no longer accurate for flashers, but it's how I have the GI lighting set up. It's a mix of Cointaker WW (top) Comet WW (middle face and some places) and Sunlight. I left a few empty near the middle to not flood with light. I also put a double flex near the top corner where it's darker, seems like they could have used another lamp socket somewhere over there.

IJ.jpgIJ.jpg

Another thing I noticed- I use Cointaker WW in all 3 of these games for GI, but look at the difference in how IJ reacts to them in comparison. At some point I may switch that up to Sunlight.

gameroom.jpggameroom.jpg

#635 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

One thing I noticed right away when the machine came with incandescent... the backglass looked way too samey. This picture is no longer accurate for flashers, but it's how I have the GI lighting set up. It's a mix of Cointaker WW (top) Comet WW (middle face and some places) and Sunlight. I left a few empty near the middle to not flood with light. I also put a double flex near the top corner where it's darker, seems like they could have used another lamp socket somewhere over there.
IJ.jpg
Another thing I noticed- I use Cointaker WW in all 3 of these games for GI, but look at the difference in how IJ reacts to them in comparison. At some point I may switch that up to Sunlight.
gameroom.jpg

I had all Cointaker WW in mine...and immediately hated what it did to the backglass and GI. Far too yellow-y and washed out. It ruins the retro feel of the game. Indy is one of those games (like LOTR) that cries out for the warmth of incandescent bulbs in the GI.

LEDs in the inserts? You betcha. Just don't color-match them because it looks like poop. The letters on the inserts get all green and blown out...yuck. Warm white everywhere, and don't forget the LED OCD board so that they behave like incandescents. It's also nice to not have to remove the POA to change bulbs ever again...

#636 8 years ago

I agree. Indy needs to keep some of that incandescent warmth due to its color palette. I'm going to play with some natural white, and warm white and plan going into it - the majority of it being sunlight white.

Art's going to love my order... going to outfit Indy, TZ, AFM, FH, and SWDE all in one swoop. I'll start with Indy because I think it will be the hardest to get right in my eyes. It's going to be the most fun too just because of the challenge.

#637 8 years ago

jedimastermatt, I'd be curious to see a picture when you're finished, if you're using Sunlight in the GI. Probably will switch mine up, just not sure which direction yet.

beelzeboob, I agree with inserts- kept most of mine white except for the oranges. Interested to see what your playfield GI looks like combined with LED inserts. Have to disagree on the backbox though- I thought all incandescent there was too dark, monochromatic and not enough depth. LEDs definitely sharpen that up to my eyes and allow for a subtle range of brightness.

#638 8 years ago

I just joined the cheating Dr. Jones club a few months ago. After reading through some of the recent posts, I have a question. Are you supposed to be able to backhand from the left flipper into the mode hole? Mine cannot. I can backhand into the lock hole, but just barely.

#639 8 years ago

Yes, you should be able to backhand into the mode hole. For me, it's the preferred way to hit it, as you get less bounce outs. Here's a papa gameplay video, and you can see that he backhands into the mode hole a few times. http://papa.org/2012/12/03/indiana-jones-gameplay/

I would check to make sure the playfield is level and that your flippers are aligned correctly.

#640 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

jedimastermatt, I'd be curious to see a picture when you're finished, if you're using Sunlight in the GI. Probably will switch mine up, just not sure which direction yet.
beelzeboob, I agree with inserts- kept most of mine white except for the oranges. Interested to see what your playfield GI looks like combined with LED inserts. Have to disagree on the backbox though- I thought all incandescent there was too dark, monochromatic and not enough depth. LEDs definitely sharpen that up to my eyes and allow for a subtle range of brightness.

The brightness of the LEDs washed out the backbox colors as well...made it more yellow than orange. I'd send you pictures, but HEP is working on my machine now...and Chris was in full agreement with me about changing back to incandescents for the GI (and not just to make a customer happy...I wanted his honest opinion!).

Keep in mind that with LEDs in the inserts and incandescent GI, the inserts can be too bright by default. That's where the beauty of LED OCD comes in...you can adjust the brightness of each individual bulb from your laptop so that it's tweaked just the way you want it to be. Awesome.

#641 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

I just joined the cheating Dr. Jones club a few months ago. After reading through some of the recent posts, I have a question. Are you supposed to be able to backhand from the left flipper into the mode hole? Mine cannot. I can backhand into the lock hole, but just barely.

Yes, i backhand that thing all day long, i prefer that way, its a more controlled shot than right flipper.

#642 8 years ago

For the back glass, tough one to much with because it is brown, yellow, orange. This is what I did. Some incandescent, frosted LED and a few coloured LED

P1060619.jpgP1060619.jpg

P1060620.jpgP1060620.jpg

#643 8 years ago

Definitely be interested to see what HEP does with your IJ beelzeboob. Keep us posted.

#644 8 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

For the back glass, tough one to much with because it is brown, yellow, orange. This is what I did. Some incandescent, frosted LED and a few coloured LED

P1060619.jpg P1060620.jpg

Which are which?

#645 8 years ago

Just finished putting leds in my IJ Love the way it looks. Used the non ghosting roms instead of the ocd board and it worked perfectly and was cheap / easy.

#646 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Definitely be interested to see what HEP does with your IJ beelzeboob. Keep us posted.

Will do. He's got it in his gallery now. It's the one marked for "RR".

#647 8 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Which are which?

there are 16 frosted white, 13 incandescent, the rest are 3 LED Ablaze 2 orange on right, 4 yellow along bottom and 1 white behind sun where he is riding the horse on left. It does not look as intense as the picture.

#648 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Will do. He's got it in his gallery now. It's the one marked for "RR".

Looking really good so far. Very exciting to see the pf transformation.

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Looking really good so far. Very exciting to see the pf transformation.

That's not the same playfield.

#650 8 years ago

Well exciting nonetheless. You're gonna have a sweet IJ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,419.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,721 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 235.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.