Quoted from orlandu81:
I wanted to give a shout-out to jenk540i for his start mode modification idea. I know this topic has been debated at length (I have read through the posts about it)...so for those of us who prefer to keep the deflector installed but want a higher % of shots from the right flipper to stick, my results are as follows:
30% stick rate from the right flipper
Drilled out the holes in the deflector to move it back 1/4 inch, raised up the deflector slightly with some washers, and added the Cliffy protector:
65% stick rate from the right flipper
Added a small foam rubber protector as recommended by jenk540i (cost less than a buck and took 6 seconds to install), and I don't see it unless I bend down low and look for it:
90% stick rate from the right flipper (small sample size, will play more over the weekend to see but looks promising so far)
TBH, I didn't want the 100% stick rate...but I don't want 30% either, and 65% was a little more frustrating than I thought it would be. 90% seems like the perfect success rate for my liking.
Yes I know removing the deflector and lining the area with drop dead foam will give you ~99% stick rate...but that is not what I wanted. I wanted the thud, AND I enjoy the risk of losing around 1/10 fast right flipper shots. It's worth the few cents and few seconds to try it out if you are looking for a higher success rate without removing the deflector. It also does not affect the ball release path when ejecting out.
Hello IJ Williams Owners!
I wanted to give a quick update on this particular start mode fix. After about a month or so, I've gone through 3 of these pads already. While they work quite well, they are slightly too thick that after repetitive ball striking the pad starts to split and tear, and then needs to be replaced. I would say my best estimate is around 150-250 Mode Start entrances before it needs to be replaced due to damage. Last night in an attempt to find a longer lasting solution, I tried a different pad:
This one is slightly thinner and is actually slightly more dense and feels stronger. I plan to fully document the amount of strikes it can take, as well as the effectiveness over the next month. While it is early, the results are very promising. I just waxed the playfield so I figured it would be a good opportunity to try the smaller and slightly thinner pad. So I played a few rounds after waxing and the ball was flying as fast as possible. I also purposely tried to focus on blasting shots with the right flipper to see the stick rate on those shots, rather than focusing on the softer left flipper shot which we know will stick no matter what. I was blown away...while a small sample size, I have had 49/50 stick so far. Like I said, I was blasting the hell out of the ball and very early results show 95+%. What's even better is I inspected the pad after the 50th strike and there is no signs of tearing or damage....yet. In a month I'll know more.