You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TopCap.jpg
Special+.jpg
mini_top.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I stripped my IJ down and peeled of all the parts, I'm working on rebuilding and I got a LED kit from Cointaker ... the problem is that many things are wrong, and some things just aren't identified at all.

I'm hoping that one of you Williams IJ owners will be able to tell me what you guys are using in the following locations.

Green Left & Right ramp Caps:
The kit suggested a "#44" lamp, but these were setup for either #555/#906 lamps. Can someone clarify what they have in here? Flashers or standard Wedge bulbs?
TopCap.jpgTopCap.jpg

Mini-Playfield - Red Divider Bulbs
The kit ignores these entirely ... and so doe my IJ documentation. It's also a wedge base for either #555/#906 lamps, but once again I am uncertain which it is and what the voltage for these are intended.
mini_top.jpgmini_top.jpg

Special & Lites Hand of Fate x2
Under the play-field on both the right and left side are these four inserts. The Red "Specials" are setup to receive the larger #44 lamps, while the white Lites Hand of Fate (or at least that's how it looks to be spelled) use wedge style, either #555 or #906 ... but once again, I cannot tell which and don't know what to stick in there.
Special+.jpgSpecial+.jpg

Obviously I should have documented these things better, since I have pretty much everything stripped, I cannot just plug things in and try it, and I'd rather get it right as I rebuilt the pin than get it wrong and have to go back to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 10 years ago

Hmm ... okay ... here are some strange things.

1) The manual says that the Ramp Left and Right bulbs should be a #89 bulb... mine are 100% wedge based so I'm guessing someone it the past modified this for some reason. I assume it's still a flasher but will see...

2) Mini-Playfield: I've checked both the Lamps & Flasher Location mapping and there is nothing on these particular bulbs ... the manual documents that the mini-play-field has two 6 lamp PCB ... but the lamp locations only display 10 of the 12. These two I'm asking about are not documented here, or on the Flasher page that I can see. So hopefully someone can tell me.

3) The Special lamps are documented, so that is clear ... but once again the Lites hand of Fate (x2) are not documented at all. They are not on either page ... but they clearly accept a wedge style bulb ... any thoughts?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from schatztastic:

Hmm ... okay ... here are some strange things.
1) The manual says that the Ramp Left and Right bulbs should be a #89 bulb... mine are 100% wedge based so I'm guessing someone it the past modified this for some reason. I assume it's still a flasher but will see...

906's

2) Mini-Playfield: I've checked both the Lamps & Flasher Location mapping and there is nothing on these particular bulbs ... the manual documents that the mini-play-field has two 6 lamp PCB ... but the lamp locations only display 10 of the 12. These two I'm asking about are not documented here, or on the Flasher page that I can see. So hopefully someone can tell me.

all 555/44

3) The Special lamps are documented, so that is clear ... but once again the Lites hand of Fate (x2) are not documented at all. They are not on either page ... but they clearly accept a wedge style bulb ... any thoughts?

#5 10 years ago

hand of fate are both 555s left side socket right side connected to main light board.

Special both sides mine say GE1251 (looks like a 89)

upper PF ones you pointed at are bayonette style so without taking it apart I assume 44

As stated above 906s are wedge style flasher bulbs. So are 904s but my bulb even after taking off plastic and cap had nothing at all written on it (probably faded to heat over time)

Hope that helps more than first comment

Sorry picking up a new machine and setting up did not want to really dig into the question.
I am free now let me know if you need more info.

Best of luck

#6 10 years ago

Always keep in mind which spots take flashers and which take regular bulbs not really that many bulbs to keep in stock.
common regular bulb 44,47,555
Flahsers 904,906

I am sure there are others and people will chime in but above ones are very very common.

The question about the ramp bulb... it is a flasher so no chance it is 555. must be one of the others. Refer to both light charts and bulb specs if needed. Also like you have done look at bulb style. Just helpful to keep in mind.

#7 10 years ago

From memory, the green dome is a 906.
The POA ball guides are 44s
The inserts are mostly 555s but there are a few 44s. I do believe the in.out lanes were 44s.
Should be easy to figure out though.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Special both sides mine say GE1251 (looks like a 89)

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I've only seen that type of bulb on Pinbot. It's a 89 size bulb that runs on a lower voltage so it can be on longer. If you use LED flashers, it doesn't matter as much, but regular 89s where a 1251 will give you a hell of a flasher show for a short period of time. I bet there are a lot of people that stripped/shopped a Pinbot that can give me a "hell ya!" on that point.

As noted, ramp flasher is a 906, use green supers for those, really pops. As for the hand of fate, these are tied to the GI or something screwy, but you cannot use super bright flex's here, they are on too much, too low, and because they are white, they become retina burners. I went with the crappy style 170s, with the flat top. This makes them "appear" as bright as the other inserts with yellow/gold.

Cointaker kits are rarely correct for all the bulbs I have found, BUT their customer service is great, just email Melissa with whatever you are missing and she sends them out asap. In al fairness, I still have never got a rubber ring kit from anyone that has been correct to date either.

#9 10 years ago

Also whatever you do don't use their green LEDs for the Indy and adventure inserts. Way too green. Warm or cool white is the way to go.

I also used cool white on the three jackpot inserts to help them pop vs the mode inserts, which I used a mix of color matching / warm white on.

I have ordered many cointaker kits. IJ was the one I had to tweak the most.

#10 10 years ago

Okay thanks guys! really helpful. I haven't tested any of the bulbs yet, but I'll probably have to order some extra warm white ones ... the green over some of them just seemed like it would kill the yellow color.

I think I have everything I need.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Also whatever you do don't use their green LEDs for the Indy and adventure inserts.

I used the 170s in there as well, as I found the greens too green, and the white to bright, but the 170s are just too dim there. I think I tried cool flexs originally in them, I should order some warms and try that.

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

Okay ... I've gotten 99% of this figured out, now I have two remaining issues.

I cannot seem to trigger the lamps for the following:

1) Lites Hand of Fates (Left or Right)
2) Super Ball (Pushbutton)

I've gone through all the possible lighting scenarios in test mode ... what the heck am I missing?

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

Lites Hand of Fates are on all the time like gi, they are not a single lamp. Super Ball is not on my single lamp either, but I have the buy in shut off, maybe that has something to do with it.

#14 9 years ago

I bet you have a bad header pin connection on the big board in the middle of the playfield for the hands of fate lights. And the superball is a flasher lamp circuit tied to the plane gun lights. Go to flasher test and close coin door and see.... Also do you have leaf switches installed or flipper optos? Some people hack in blade switches and forget to jump the 12 volt connection on the connector for the opto boards. Let me know whats there and I can help further.
Cheers

#15 9 years ago

I have the same issue and can't figure it out. My super ball button won't light. Changed the switch and bulb. Plane flashers work. The "raise jackpot when flashing" directly under the biplane tail has never lit either. Any
Ideas?

#16 9 years ago

Yes....Do you have opto boards for your flippers in your game? Or did someone swap in leaf switches? And check socket and bulb first on the jackpot light.

#17 9 years ago

Opto. Changed bulb twice and socket. Thanks

#18 9 years ago

check continuity of wires from plane flasher plug to superball button

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
$ 85.00
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

12,500 (OBO)
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

14,000 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-which-lamps-go-here-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.