Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by desertT1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all, I've got Williams Indy and while in gameplay when the divertor on the right ramp opens, the top post drops making it impossible to drop onto the upper PF. I have ran the solenoid tests and on test 33 divertor power, 35 top post power & 36 top post hold they all work fine. Test 34 divertor hold does nothing though it does hold open during play. Are these two connected? Why would the divertor hold open and the post drop at once? Any clue what to check or do next? I'm stumped.

#2 6 years ago

Had a similar problem on mine and fixed the angle the post was coming up and that fixed it. Just disconnected the screws on the solenoid, and retightened them after angling the post better. Good luck!

1 week later
#3 6 years ago

Finally had a chance to try that out. Looks like it did not fix my issue. Again, the top post pin drops when the divertor is held open.... which it should when u hit the jackpot but on any modes requiring you to drop onto the upper PF, the post should be up to stop the ball's momentum and hold it there until it drops down to the upper PF. Oh boy, I'm not sure what to do.... any other ideas?

I should note again that nothing happens during solenoid test 34 "divertor hold" though it holds open during play. I wonder if the two are connected but I am not sure how to trouble shoot to test my theory....

Could there be a switch that is thinking "jackpot, I need to drop" anytime the divertor is open? Maybe that is the issue? Any thoughts to add perhaps? I' ll try to test the switches.....

#4 6 years ago

The hold on any coil is not enough to pull anything up from rest. If it holds in gameplay your fine.
The metal tab on the left most likely needs to be bent back towards the middle of the entrance of the POA.
Also if your machine is leaning left the ball will roll too fast to drop on to the POA.

2 weeks later
#5 6 years ago

Here is a link to a video showing what I am trying to explain:

#6 6 years ago

Check it in 'solenoid test', does firing the 'diverter hold' coil also fires the 'post hold' coil every time? (It's not supposed to.) You might have to give the post a little push down, and see if it stays down, just in case the hold is not strong enough to make it move on it's own. If they move at the same time, I'd start looking where the post hold coil's drive wiring is shorted to the diverter hold's.

If it works in the test, then my next guess would be the game marking the mini playfield motor/opto as broken, and it doesn't want to send the ball over there. To check that, select 'mini pf. test', and if at the beginning it says "Mini pf. motor and switches are working", then it's not the problem you're looking for.

#7 6 years ago

Divertor hold test does not affect the post hold while in test but actually does nothing at all. Whats strange is that it holds open during play.

Post hold test works fine. All wiring seems in order w good soldier joints. Ill have to take a closer look at that I guess.

I will also double check the mini pf test to be sure. I have many errors related to that as none of the switches on the pf have been hit in sometime since I cant get the ball to drop there.....

2 months later
#8 5 years ago

I went over today to at least poke around and see what I could find. I took a few notes.

*Path of Adventure motor is failing the test. When I went to test the path optos that see when it tilts all the way left and right, those won't register. Tried putting a small screwdriver through to break the beam and neither one triggered.

*I removed the connector and measured the 12V and the voltage is good. I did not remove the board as i could not get to the screws without taking off the path and was not able to do that yesterday. Does that opto board also power the motor? I measured the lugs of the motor and it was giving me a few mV, not 12V as I was guessing might be there.

Then there are some other things I noticed. Pretty sure I can fix most of these, but will list them.

1. "A" target won't register, but something else was awarding that when I played a few test games. So the Path will be available, which is bypassed because it fails the test at startup.

2. Bottom left Path switch triggers itself, "D" and "V". They are on the same column, so I'm guessing it's a diode. Curious why it's triggering 2 extra switches instead of just one.

3. "Raise Jackpot" (or "center standup" in the switch matrix table) switch triggers the left sling and "exit idol" switches. Again, guessing it's a diode, but curious why it's triggering two instead of one.

4. Switch 9-7 is active in the switch test, yet it doesn't exist on the matrix. Not sure what that is.

5. If you bump the left ramp hard enough (slightly more than a tap) the opto for the entrance for that ramp registers. Found this out while working on the path and it kept triggering "left ramp entrance". I was curious if there was another bad diode, but eventually found that I was bumping it while working on the path. Seems a little sensitive to me, but didn't seem to do anything negative during an actual game.

#9 5 years ago

Does the Path motor always have power like coils do? The optos might be an issue on the opto board, but the motor not working at all is likely a separate issue that I'll take any tips on how to track the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-top-post?hl=thegeekyhusband and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.