003-270.JPG
002-384.JPG
001-445.JPG
022.JPG
027-145.JPG
026.JPG
025.JPG
024.JPG
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.
#401 10 years ago

This thread couldn't have come at a better time since I have an AFM and CC restore waiting for me this winter season. Keep up the good stuff Bryan you are a wealth of knowledge my friend.

#402 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Bryan,
Will Bleche Wite remove hard water stains on my glassware?
Can I use purple power to clean my bathroom grout?
Which fork do I use for my salad?

I don't think so, you can try but I doubt it'll work and you SUCK, John.

#403 10 years ago

Tool time once again. If you don't have a tap and die set, buy one.

015.JPG015.JPG

#404 10 years ago

This little number is real handy. It's like a tap screwdriver. 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32. It's made by Klein for electricians because those are the most common size screws we use. They're also used in lots of pinball applications.

016.JPG016.JPG

#405 10 years ago

If you don't already own a bolt cutter, buy one. You will eventually need one. Again, this one is made by Klein and cuts most all bolts used in a pinball machine.

017.JPG017.JPG

#406 10 years ago

Holy shit!!! Dr. Phil had some hot guests on today!!

001.JPG001.JPG

#407 10 years ago

A couple more examples of "shiny shit." It's kind of a tedious process because of the corrosion, but things are looking good.

006.JPG006.JPG

#408 10 years ago

Here's the next batch to go into the Dillon (because of the large plate.) It's all the parts from the two drop target mechs. Even though the Dillon is huge for the tiny springs, washers, etc., they go in also so I keep everything together.

004.JPG004.JPG

#409 10 years ago

Remember those five ugly flipper plates I tumbled earlier, here are two of them. In the case of flippers, I don't care if the moving parts look decent or not, everything gets replaced, including the bushings. Flippers are just too important to be using used parts.

002.JPG002.JPG

#410 10 years ago

This is the type of reference pic I'll take so I know which optos go where. This is from the idol lock mech. As with most of this, no need to write anything down. A pic tells me everything I need to know.

010.JPG010.JPG

#411 10 years ago

Here are four of my favorite friends. Just keep in mind, the Bleche Wite you buy today SUCKS, unless it says Westleys. And about the only way you'll find Westleys is at some Mom and Pop hardware store in East Jesus MN where there merchandise takes forever to turn over.

Orange power is a great degreaser and adhesive remover but it doesn't clean all that well.

Bleche Wite is a fabulous cleaner, but it won't remove grease.

Purple power is a great cleaner and will remove some grease, but it's no where close to what Orange Power does.

I use denatured alcohol on all kinds of small cleaning jobs. Cleans and degreases and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

The key to using these is knowing when to use them and when NOT to use them and what to use them on and what NOT to use them on.

022.JPG022.JPG

#412 10 years ago

Don't forget, if your cleaner is REALLY a good cleaner, you'll want to wear one of these. Don't ask me how I know. I SAID DON'T ASK!!

021.JPG021.JPG

#413 10 years ago

From shit to shine.

026.JPG026.JPG 002.JPG002.JPG

#414 10 years ago

More shit to shine.

021.JPG021.JPG 019.JPG019.JPG

#415 10 years ago

This is just awesome. Thank you for sharing your tips and expertise!

Chris

#416 10 years ago

Bryan,

Are there any houses for sale in your neighborhood?

Nevermind, MN gets COLD!

#417 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Bryan,
Are there any houses for sale in your neighborhood?
Nevermind, MN gets COLD!

john, even if there were, I'm not sure if brYan has a tumbler large enough to clean it up prior to you moving in

#418 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

john, even if there were, I'm not sure if brYan has a tumbler large enough to clean it up prior to you moving in

I've told my wife many times she might someday find the clothes dryer full of walnut shells. Think about it.

#419 10 years ago

Tool time. Get yourself a set of pin punches. They're not needed a lot, but when they are, you'll be glad you have them.

In a pinch, you can always grind the point off an 8 or 16 penny nail and use that.

045.JPG045.JPG 052.JPG052.JPG

#420 10 years ago

Mini cutters and needle nose come in real handy.

047.JPG047.JPG

#421 10 years ago

Scotchbrite pads. You'll find a ton of uses for these guys. I use red the most.

005.JPG005.JPG

#422 10 years ago

I dropped this off at my buddy's auto body shop this morning. It's got some signs of rust around the mounting holes.

004.JPG004.JPG

#423 10 years ago

Even though the playfield back panel isn't seen once mounted in the game, it's getting redone also.

001.JPG001.JPG 002.JPG002.JPG

#424 10 years ago

Here it is sanded down with 120 grit, then 220 grit, ready for primer then paint. Needless to say, any metal parts are in the tumbler.

036.JPG036.JPG 039.JPG039.JPG 040.JPG040.JPG

#425 10 years ago

Re-graining ball guides....I think I'd rather be kicked in the nuts. Yes, yes I would. I hate this part.

Tools I'll use are 120 (yes, I said 120) grit sand paper, 180 grit, 220 grit and red Scotchbrite pads.

I'll start with the coursest grit I need in order to remove the worst wear, which is usually the center of the guide where the ball travels. If all it takes is the 220, that's all I'll use. If it takes the 120, so be it. The key is to only sand those areas that need it. No sense in sanding the entire guide with 120. That's a lot of scratches you need to remove for no reason. Once I've removed the worst with 120 or 180, I'll then go over everything with the 220. The final step is the pads. I find it lots easier to get nice straight lines with the pads as compared to the paper.

Once sanded, I'll wipe them all down with denatured alcohol to remove any residue.

008.JPG008.JPG

#426 10 years ago

All this guy needed was 220 and pads.

012.JPG012.JPG 016.JPG016.JPG 017.JPG017.JPG

#427 10 years ago

This guy needed 180, 220 then pads.

018.JPG018.JPG 020.JPG020.JPG

#428 10 years ago

This guy needed the 120 also. And yes, you will remove the plating off the rivet, but it'll look like it's supposed to be that way once installed.

034.JPG034.JPG 035.JPG035.JPG

#429 10 years ago

I should start a business in re-graining, EVERYONE hates doing it. I could make some big bucks lol

#430 10 years ago

With this one, the first pic shows the ugly groove so many get. The second pic shows after removing the worst with 120 grit paper and the third pic show complete.

026.JPG026.JPG 027.JPG027.JPG 029.JPG029.JPG

#431 10 years ago

Here's one more example.

021.JPG021.JPG 023.JPG023.JPG

#432 10 years ago

A block of wood (Holy shit!! I almost typed weed) comes in really handy.

019.JPG019.JPG

#433 10 years ago

I should start a business in re-graining, EVERYONE hates doing it. I could make some big bucks lol

It's like beating your head against a wall cause it feels so good when you're done!!

Took me about an hour to do all these.

020.JPG020.JPG

#434 10 years ago

sanding by hands or machine?
and i guess same direction of the metal grain.

#435 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

sanding by hands or machine?
and i guess same direction of the metal grain.

I do it by hand and yes, in the direction of the original grain.

They make flap type sanding wheels in different grits you can place in a drill and do it that way. I tried them once and didn't like the results I got.

#436 10 years ago

Bryan, thanks for all of the great info!
A few questions I hope someone can answer...

1.What can I use as tumbler media instead of walnut shells that might work better than corn cobb? My kids have nut allergies and none are allowed in the house?

2. Where did you get your coil wrappers? I could use some for the TFTC that I am working on.

Thanks!

#437 10 years ago
Quoted from NickRocco:

Bryan, thanks for all of the great info!
A few questions I hope someone can answer...
1.What can I use as tumbler media instead of walnut shells that might work better than corn cobb? My kids have nut allergies and none are allowed in the house?
2. Where did you get your coil wrappers? I could use some for the TFTC that I am working on.
Thanks!

Sorry, no answer to your first question but I agree, corn cob media isn't aggressive enough for most of my tumbling needs.

The coil wrappers are available from BAA or Planetary Pinball. Rick is the only one who makes these and they are about as original as you can get.

#438 10 years ago

Remember the ball trough? Because of the corrosion, someone tried their best to clean it up but it was trashed. It also had a hacked opto board.

It will be replaced with a new one from Kerry Stair at Mantis Amusements and also new boards from Tony at Great Lakes Modular. Both make some well needed parts and are great to work with.

006.JPG006.JPG 007.JPG007.JPG 053.JPG053.JPG

#439 10 years ago

Almost done with the coil mechs. As long as I'm showing you a drop target mech, I'll mention,

NEVER USE GREASE OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LUBRICATION ON DROP TARGETS!!

If you have one that seems to stick or is slow to operate, odds are good someone before you greased it and that grease is now hardening and causing problems. Best thing to do is take it apart, clean everything well and you should be good.

060.JPG060.JPG

#440 10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post all these great pics and information! Very interesting.

Mike

#441 10 years ago

Is that a new ball trough or did you clean it in a tumbler? Looks new but so do all of the other restored parts.

Also, do you purchase the SprayWay Orange Power locally or do you need to order it online?

#442 10 years ago
Quoted from NickRocco:

Is that a new ball trough or did you clean it in a tumbler? Looks new but so do all of the other restored parts.
Also, do you purchase the SprayWay Orange Power locally or do you need to order it online?

If you read the text you'll see the trough is new. I get the Orange Power and most of the rest of my restoration supplies and tools from Pinrestore.com

#443 10 years ago

Thanks for the pics on cleaning the larger metal parts and assemblies. I'm still wrestling with how to clean the parts that are "too large to tumble". I have pins and screws in my wrist and can't manually get large parts looking like new. I need to get one of those big momma tumblers!!!

What do you do with parts that just don't fit in the Dillon? Do they usually get replaced like that ball trough?

#444 10 years ago

Could you use a glass bead blaster to clean larger parts? HF sells some inexpensive hand held blasters.

#445 10 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Thanks for the pics on cleaning the larger metal parts and assemblies. I'm still wrestling with how to clean the parts that are "too large to tumble". I have pins and screws in my wrist and can't manually get large parts looking like new. I need to get one of those big momma tumblers!!!
What do you do with parts that just don't fit in the Dillon? Do they usually get replaced like that ball trough?

Normally I won't find this amount of corrosion and all that's needed is cleaning all the coil mech parts. This game is a bit of an exception and all those parts had to be tumbled. So far, all that's been replaced is the ball trough.

#446 10 years ago

Tool time. Rubber lined insert for your vise. Don't ask where I got this from cause I have no idea. I've had it for years.

062.JPG062.JPG

#447 10 years ago

Here's a little tip on how to operate a 12 volt motor when it's out of the game.

061.JPG061.JPG

#448 10 years ago

Time to clean more shit. And no, Bleche Wite and other similar cleaners will not affect the screened art.

069.JPG069.JPG

#449 10 years ago

Somebody did a pretty cool job of painting the idol. Not knowing what was used, I'm cleaning this guy with nothing but water.

065.JPG065.JPG

#450 10 years ago

Yeah, shit happens when cleaning stuff. I like to fix this kind of thing right away so I don't forget.

064.JPG064.JPG 066.JPG066.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 29.00
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.