003-270.JPG
002-384.JPG
001-445.JPG
022.JPG
027-145.JPG
026.JPG
025.JPG
024.JPG
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I have some weird obsession with keeping my cabinets original and craptacular but the insides great,

Nothing wrong with that at all, Dan. Someone has to love the ugly girls.

#202 10 years ago

Here's another great use for the rubber mallets...installing translight trim.

The new WPC trims aren't too bad but the WPC-95 ones can be a bitch. They're just a tad too tight. What I do with these is use a wooden dowel, a smidge wider than the trim opening and force it in and work it all along the entire edge. This widens it enough where the install is a lot easier.

004.JPG004.JPG

#203 10 years ago

Looks like my next project just showed up. This has to be delivered to an undisclosed location in WI on the 21st, so I may not be back here for a while. But when I do return, it'll be time for IJ artwork install.

005.JPG005.JPG

#204 10 years ago

One more "tool" pic. I picked this gem up from a buddy of mine who bought it a couple years ago and never used it. The damn thing is built like a tank. Does anyone have any idea who may have built and sold these? It came unfinished and of course my buddy stored it under a workbench in his garage so it had quite a bit of surface rust, which I had to remove and it then got painted.

002.JPG002.JPG 003.JPG003.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Nothing wrong with that at all, Dan. Someone has to love the ugly girls.

Hey, you've met my wife and you said something about landing far above my level...

#207 10 years ago

I have one of these rotisseries. It was made by Dave Imbody. Built very nicely and well worth the money.

Sam

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Screened the patent text this morning. I'll leave the head and base cabinets cure for a few days, but for now, it's on to other stupid shit.

I apologize for the shameless self promotion, but if anyone is looking for the WPC screens that Bryan uses you can follow this link for my original post. I still have a few left as well as some System 11 screens.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-williams-wpc-backbox-warningpatent-silk-screens/page/3#postbox

#209 10 years ago

And now on to decal installation. Most decals will come with registration marks, sometimes and sometimes not, indicating the top, bottom and sides of the cabinet. The next three pics show why you probably don't want to use them. You'll see the top of the black, the registration marks and the bottom of the black on the two sides do not line up.

001.JPG001.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG

#210 10 years ago

In the first pic, I've cut the excess decal to the top of the black. Lots easier to line things up with this gone. The second pic shows how I do my measuring to make sure I get the decal to line up properly. All you need to do is press the decal on the edge with a finger and it'll make a ridge that you can measure off of so you get the same amount of black around all the edges.

010.JPG010.JPG 013.JPG013.JPG

#211 10 years ago

Once I've measured half a dozen times and double checked things numerous times, I've decided I need to have 1/4" of black border on the top, so here I'm cutting the decal and will be using a standard utility knife.

I should mention, anytime you do a decal job like this, make sure you use a BRAND NEW BLADE!! If you don't, all kinds of bad things can happen. They're cheap. Just install a new one.

002.JPG002.JPG

#212 10 years ago

Now it's time for the install. I've only installed artwork using the dry method. I don't care whether you do it dry or wet, do whatever works best for you, but I won't be spraying any kind of liquid on my cabinets.

For the side head decals, I like to install them from the top down. After measuring and cutting the top edge (and both sides have been cut the same) I peel back about three to four inches of the backing and the excess backing, when folded back, will keep the decal away from the side. I then install the top edge so that it lines up with the top of the cabinet. That's the first pic. The second pic shows the small bevel I put on the top edge. The decal will eventually be trimmed such that the portion installed above the bevel, will be removed.

005.JPG005.JPG 012.JPG012.JPG

#213 10 years ago

If you've never installed decals before, you're going to find them to be quite thin. They should be. We don't want to be installing some thick piece of laminate that once installed, looks like we installed some thick piece of laminate.

Because they are so thin, you need to be careful with them. You'll find them to be rather pliable. If you were to grab two corners and pull hard enough, you could actually stretch or distort them.

Having said that, you need to be careful when it comes time for install and lining up the starting edge. You need to make sure the decal edge follows the cabinet edge perfectly. Because of the thinness, it's easy to get the decal to "smile" or "frown." If that happens, you're going to be in deep shit after installing a few inches of it. Trust me.

#214 10 years ago

Once I've got my edge started, I like to use a cotton rag and run it up and down as I peel the backing back. Peel back about 3/8" at a time while pressing and smoothing with the rag.

007.JPG007.JPG 009.JPG009.JPG

#215 10 years ago

Once the deal is installed, now comes the important part. The way it's been explained to me, the vinyl decals are made from "pressure sensitive" vinyl. What that means is, the adhesive is contained in millions of tiny bubbles and the way it gets released is with pressure. For that, I use a laminate roller and pressing as hard as I can, I'll go over the entire decal.

013.JPG013.JPG

#216 10 years ago

Now comes trim time. I'll trim all edges twice. Once, as in the first pic, I'll hold the blade perpendicular to the side to remove most of the excess. The second cut, I'll go "in for the kill." I hold the blade at a 45 degree angle (maybe more) and run it along the edge of the cabinet. This is why it's so important to make sure all your edges are perfect.

When done, you should be able to run your finger up against the edge and not feel the edge of the decal. If you do, you need to cut it again at more of an angle.

015.JPG015.JPG 020.JPG020.JPG

#217 10 years ago

In this first pic, you'll see one side trimmed and the top side not. In the second pic, you'll see the top done.

Again, make damn sure you can't feel the decal edge with your finger!!

024.JPG024.JPG 026.JPG026.JPG

#218 10 years ago

Once your done with all your trimming and you've got the results you want, you will, of course, notice a white edge of the vinyl that results from the trimming. For this, I use a black medium tip paint pen and go around all the edges. This takes a bit of technique to do neatly, but once you've practiced on some scrap wood, it's a piece o' cake.

When done, your edges should look like the second pic. You damn near have to get a magnifying glass out to even see the decal edge.

030.JPG030.JPG 041.JPG041.JPG

#219 10 years ago

At some point during this whole process, you'll want to cut out all the holes for the carriage bolts and the like. For this, I like to use an Exacto knife with a #11 blade. Again, make sure it's SHARP!!

035.JPG035.JPG

#221 10 years ago

This is awesome Brian.

You have ALMOST dispelled my fear enough to have a go at this myself one day.

One day...

#222 10 years ago

Heed Bryan's warning and use a SHARP blade. I personally use x-acto knives when I apply/trim decals, but I am paranoid enough that I change the blades out after each side. Might be excessive (blades are cheap compared to the decal sets), but trust me, if the blade is the slightest bit dull or nicked you will get a serrated or shitty torn look to your edges.

#223 10 years ago

I forgot to mention. Hey, don't yell at me, you're getting this shit for FREE!! Before I install the decals, I'll clean the top and bottom side of the decal and also the surface it's going on, with compressed air, tack rag, anything short of licking it with my tongue, to make sure I have no particles of any kind that might get between the decal and the cabinet.

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

You have ALMOST dispelled my fear enough to have a go at this myself one day.

I had the opposite reaction - this stuff is best left to the pros.

#225 10 years ago

If you can't easily do this with the blade, it ain't sharp enough!!

098.JPG098.JPG

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

A wise man knows his limitations. If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T DO IT!!

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Oh I didn't mean to imply that I'd be trying it any time soon!

I just mean that if I ever did work up the courage to have a run at it, it's really awesome to have such a thorough how-to for guidance.

Kudos!

#228 10 years ago

Next up, the use of my patented "coin door filler plate."

But seeing as it's Friday night and I've had enough of this shit for one day, I need a beer. A nice, tall, cold beer!!

042.JPG042.JPG 045.JPG045.JPG

#229 10 years ago

WOW is all I can say Bryan! I'm doing a restoration on a Monster Bash right now and I'm currently working on the cabinet getting ready to put new decals on. My first time doing decals was last year I did my Twilight Zone and I was really happy with how it turned out but I had to learn a hard lesson about using pincab protectors on a freshly decaled game. So I REALLY appreciate this thread and am going to use a lot of your tricks you showed here to help make my Monster Bash cabinet look even better then my Twilight Zone one! Oh and no more pincab protectors on legs for me , this time I'm using the metal leg protectors that Terry sells.

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

WOW is all I can say Bryan! I'm doing a restoration on a Monster Bash right now and I'm currently working on the cabinet getting ready to put new decals on. My first time doing decals was last year I did my Twilight Zone and I was really happy with how it turned out but I had to learn a hard lesson about using pincab protectors on a freshly decaled game. So I REALLY appreciate this thread and am going to use a lot of your tricks you showed here to help make my Monster Bash cabinet look even better then my Twilight Zone one! Oh and no more pincab protectors on legs for me , this time I'm using the metal leg protectors that Terry sells.

Personally, I think the metal protectors Stern came out with are one of the most revolutionary "mods" in the last few years. Of course, they had to come up with something once they went to installing decals for their artwork to prevent wrinkling. No other protector makes sense to me when installing artwork and protecting it. It's completely hidden and keeps the leg from coming in contact with the cabinet. I also recommend making sure the leg bolts are good and tight. This prevents the leg from "rocking" and contacting the cabinet if you are one who likes to move your games when playing.

#231 10 years ago

After finishing up the artwork on IJ, I'm now installing the cabinet protectors.

In the first pic, I install the protector with leg bolts tightened to keep it in place. I then take my utility knife and cut the artwork around the protector.

The second pic shows the artwork removed. I'm not sure if this part is necessary because with it screwed in place, it shouldn't move causing any wrinkling. But I'm not taking any chances and it only takes a few minutes to do. You can see how well the decals stuck to the cabinet. While removing that little piece, it wanted to take up some small chips of plywood.

In the last pic, I've reinstalled the protector with bolts tightened and installed the two screws holding it in place.

029.JPG029.JPG 030.JPG030.JPG 032.JPG032.JPG

#232 10 years ago

nice finishing touch, again thank all the great infos.

#233 10 years ago

Here are the other three corners installed.

034.JPG034.JPG 035.JPG035.JPG 037.JPG037.JPG

#234 10 years ago

Simply stunning! Not much else to really say. Jealousy factor = EXTREME.

#235 10 years ago

Bryan, any insight as to who makes the best decals? I have heard they are not all created equally. Awesome work.

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Bryan, any insight as to who makes the best decals? I have heard they are not all created equally. Awesome work.

I hate using the term "best." As long as you buy from a reputable manufacturer, you'll be fine. Take a chance buying off Ebay from someone who goes by "DecalsRus" and you might be in trouble.

#237 10 years ago

The heads all done, at least as far as I can go right now.

040.JPG040.JPG 042.JPG042.JPG 048.JPG048.JPG

#238 10 years ago

thats a beauty.

i see the wire braid, what kind of stapler do you use.

#239 10 years ago

If you're into restoring games, do yourself a favor and visit Pinrestore.com. Scot (yes, there's only one t) Bogart started this site years ago. There was a time, most restoration supplies and tools had to be sourced from multiple locations. Scot sourced it all and put it all in one spot.

I would recommend looking at everything Scot has listed. Tools, supplies, you name it. I have a feeling you'll find something you'll need.

And Scot and his wife Deb are super nice people.

#240 10 years ago

thats a beauty.
i see the wire braid, what kind of stapler do you use.

I've had this one for years. Shoots the exact staples you need. All available at Pinrestore.com.

038.JPG038.JPG

#241 10 years ago

This is by far the best hose I've ever used. Super lightweight and easy to coil up. Once you've tried this one, you'll throw your old 3/8" or 1/2" rubber hoses away!!

026.JPG026.JPG

#242 10 years ago

Bryan,

You said you use rattle cans for priming and painting the cabinets - care to share what brand you use? And do you clear over the paint after you are done (in areas that aren't covered with decals)?

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Bryan,
You said you use rattle cans for priming and painting the cabinets - care to share what brand you use? And do you clear over the paint after you are done (in areas that aren't covered with decals)?

Painters Touch. Found at most big box stores. No clear over paint. Just semi gloss black.

#244 10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to document all of this Bryan. Great info!

Todd

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Now it's on to the light board. If you want to do a quick cleaning, compressed air and a paint brush will get the back fairly clean and because of the white vinyl layer on the front, you can use Purple Power to clean that. Not much you can do with the black writing some dipshit put there.
In this case, the entire board will get redone. These two pics are what I'll use for reference pics to make sure everything goes back where it came. No need to tag or mark anything.

I have the almost the same writing on my Addams, seems our games are from Graz, Austria. Looks like we got a couple of re-imports here.
Anyway thanks again for this thread, it is a treasure for sure. IMG_1525.JPGIMG_1525.JPG

#248 10 years ago

I'm waiting for a couple of parts to finish up the cabinet, so it's on to stripping the playfield.

I've seen a whole lot of pics of different types of rotisseries and I guess my thought is, if it works for you, that's all you need. I will say, if you're making one yourself and can somehow come up with a "finger" style mount, I think it makes things easier. The problem with using holey angle iron is, you need to remove quite a bit of stuff from the underside before you can even get the playfield mounted. You can see what I'm talking about in the following pics.

And if you're using any kind of fasteners, instead of clamps, make DAMN sure you use a bolt that runs all the way through the playfield. Do NOT use screws screwed in the playfield.

In the front, I'm using the holes and bolts that held the playfield and lift brackets. In the back, I always remove the slide mechs and run a bolt into the T-nut on the topside.

002.JPG002.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG 008.JPG008.JPG

#249 10 years ago

When stripping a playfield, the most important thing to do is take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pics.

What I like to do is take 8 pics at a time. First is the bottom half from the front. Second is top half from the front. Third is bottom half from the left side. Fourth is top half from the left side and so on. Next, I'll remove a "layer" of items and take the same 8 pics. This continues until all I have left are nothing but posts, such as star posts, slim plastic posts, metal posts with sleeves and the like. Taking pics from the different angles will save your ass at some point. Trust me. You will, at times, want to take specific pics of the way some things come off and whatever you do, if you find yourself thinking you don't need a pic because you'll remember, DON'T LISTEN TO YOURSELF. YOU'RE AN IDIOT. JUST TAKE THE PIC!!

012.JPG012.JPG 013.JPG013.JPG 015.JPG015.JPG 018.JPG018.JPG

#250 10 years ago

I think the only thing I take notes on is the location and length of any hex spacers used on the topside of the playfield. You can't tell the length when looking at pics. Otherwise, when it comes time to put it all back, I simply look at my pics in reverse order.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 85.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.