003-270.JPG
002-384.JPG
001-445.JPG
022.JPG
027-145.JPG
026.JPG
025.JPG
024.JPG
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
#501 10 years ago

This has been one of my favorite threads to follow. Fantastic tips on restoration and expressive sayings...."I'd rather get kicked in the nuts"....

That exactly how I feel with ball guides as well, just could never put it into words like that.

#502 10 years ago

deletetd double post

#503 10 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Hey Bryan, so what's the deal with not returning the spring steel to blue? I would think that would be something to do since correctness is a guiding factor in the restore. I understand it is more a cosmetic detail as opposed to something functional like the flipper plate.
Really appreciate all the information and insight. Thanks again.
Lawrence

I much prefer the look of the natural spring steal along side the "natural" look of the ramp protectors. Everything seems to blend in nicer. Lots better than the blue look, which seems to stick out. However, if all the repro ramps come with blue spring steal, that's what goes in. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I've never had anyone complain one way or the other.

Originality is something that's kind of gone out the window these days. So many mods today, along with candy coated trim, lit star posts, clear ramps for TZ and TAF, plastic protectors, backboard decals, lit translucent backboards, cabinet side decals, target decals, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

I simply do whatever my customer wants me to do.

#504 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Time to clean the three playfield wire harnesses. I wish I had some type of tub large enough to clean these in, but I don't, so they get done outside on the driveway. I'll clean each one individually. Lay on driveway, spray with hose, spray with Bleche Wite, scrub with paint brush, flip the whole thing over and repeat. I'll spend a good 10 minutes on each one making sure to clean every part and every inch.

Guessing this pro-cleaning technique for the harness should only be attempted by a hobbyist if they're willing to replace all the microswitches like you do (otherwise the microswitches should be removed first because of internal seepage/moisture retention from the hose)?

Great stuff Bryan; thanks for this amazing how-to!

#505 10 years ago

Bryan, How do you restore speaker panels, yellow dinged, lightly scratched speaker panels? Thanks

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Guessing this pro-cleaning technique for the harness should only be attempted by a hobbyist if they're willing to replace all the microswitches like you do (otherwise the microswitches should be removed first because of internal seepage/moisture retention from the hose)?
Great stuff Bryan; thanks for this amazing how-to!

No need to replace the micros, pre WPC 95 era micros are sealed real well. I've got games that are 5+ Years after cleaning and still work great.

Having said that, when going to this level, swapping all the micros doesn't take very long, and they aren't that expensive.

#507 10 years ago

Thanks for the info on the harness and lamp sockets. Do you do anything to the insides of the lamp sockets? I was trying to figure out a decent way to clean dirt/corrosion out while I have everything taken apart that wouldn't also take 9000 hours.

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Having said that, when going to this level, swapping all the micros doesn't take very long, and they aren't that expensive.

Exactly, John. It's easy to do when the harness is out and it guarantees reliability. So many of them are original and 20 years old. The last thing I need is to have one go bad that's mounted under a ton of stuff.

I just like starting out with them all new and my customer won't have any issues with them for a long time.

#509 10 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

Bryan, How do you restore speaker panels, yellow dinged, lightly scratched speaker panels? Thanks

There's not a whole lot you can do with them. You can try a variety of plastic polishes but there's not much you can do with the yellowing or deeper scratches.

#510 10 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Thanks for the info on the harness and lamp sockets. Do you do anything to the insides of the lamp sockets? I was trying to figure out a decent way to clean dirt/corrosion out while I have everything taken apart that wouldn't also take 9000 hours.

Thankfully, I only restore WPC and WPC-95 games and I rarely ever run into socket issues. If I do, they're easily replaced with new.

#511 10 years ago

Heya Bryan,

Quick question: How many uses do you get out of your walnut media, or do you use new media for every batch? I can get a 50lb bag of walnut media for $30, which seems decent, but I'd just like to know what you recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Greg

#512 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

Heya Bryan,
Quick question: How many uses do you get out of your walnut media, or do you use new media for every batch? I can get a 50lb bag of walnut media for $30, which seems decent, but I'd just like to know what you recommend.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Greg

It greatly depends on how dirty you're parts are (I clean the larger parts first) but I'll get a good half dozen batches out of one load of shells. Maybe more.

As I've said before, if your shells turn greyish and your parts are clean but not shiny, toss the stuff and start over with new. Otherwise, I continue using it until it starts getting pretty dark. I'll toss it before it gets as dark as coffee grounds.

#513 10 years ago

Thanks Bryan. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Much appreciated.

#514 10 years ago

Here's another example of the corrosion I've been dealing with. When fasteners look this bad, they get tossed and replaced with new.

005.JPG005.JPG 007.JPG007.JPG 010.JPG010.JPG
#515 10 years ago

Don't even think of calling yourself a man unless you own a grinder and a buffer.

017.JPG017.JPG
#516 10 years ago

Here are a couple of plastic socket wrenches I use on things like Pal nuts and the plastic nuts that hold things like start buttons and launch buttons. I think I got them at Happ.

013.JPG013.JPG
#517 10 years ago

Got the Congo done and up next is a MM and then a FH. Somewhere in the middle of all that will be the completion of the IJ, once I get the playfields back from Chris.

021.JPG021.JPG 022.JPG022.JPG 023.JPG023.JPG
#518 10 years ago

Alright Bryan, wtf is that covered up in the MM picture?

#519 10 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Alright Bryan, wtf is that covered up in the MM picture?

Newspaper machine?

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Newspaper machine?

Yeah, looks like a Star Tribune newspaper vending machine.

#521 10 years ago

great thread. thanks for taking the time and effort to educate the masses...

#522 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

Yeah, looks like a Star Tribune newspaper vending machine.

That would be correct. And it looks brand new.

#523 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That would be correct. And it looks brand new.

How long after they put it out did you steal it?

#524 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

How long after they put it out did you steal it?

Theft was not involved, John Boy. I've got "friends."

#525 10 years ago

For anyone interested, I found the "third hand" link.

http://www.wirthco.com/third-hand-p-8-l-en.html

#526 10 years ago

I've never seen a buffing work area that clean. I've got to stop using too much compound and cheap wheels that shed I guess.

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

I've never seen a buffing work area that clean. I've got to stop using too much compound and cheap wheels that shed I guess.

The general rule of thumb in my home shop....make a mess, clean up the mess. Use a tool, put it back when done.

Also, when I finish one restoration, the shop gets cleaned before I start another one. Having said that, when I'm in the middle of one, I've got shit all over the place!

#528 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

thanks much brYan

now, is there any chance you can find a link for those plastic socket wrenches? (I may have to phone sozuhapp since I can't seem to find it on their site)

#529 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

thanks much brYan
now, is there any chance you can find a link for those plastic socket wrenches? (I may have to phone sozuhapp since I can't seem to find it on their site)

You can also order it from RandyT @ GroovyGameGear here

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=248

#530 10 years ago

Really appreciate the thread. Question: any hints or recommendations for replacing the bottom in a pinball cabinet?

Please keep posting.....

#531 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

btw, wirthco will not sell outright to the public. here is the appropriate link from mcmaster-carr.com which is one of their distributors for the 3rd hand
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2569/=oy5cm7

#532 10 years ago

This looks similar and might work for cheaper .

ebay.com link: Third Arm Clamp

#533 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ebay link

Sold. Gonna use the hell out of this when I put my Haunted House back together next week.

#534 10 years ago

Also, those clamps they use are really common. If you could find the flexible hose with threaded ends it would be simple to make these.

#535 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

This looks similar and might work for cheaper

I bought one as well. It will come in handy for reassembling my Taxi playfield, including replacing microswitches.

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ebay link

got to love the description:
"Did you ever wish you had a third hand while grooming a dog or cat? Now you can with the Metro Groomers Third Arm."

I want a photo of someone using one of these to hold a dog or cat in place while grooming them. you might as well just use a nail gun to hold the animal down! LOL

(and yes, I realize that they mean that it's not meant to hold the animal, but rather your tools while grooming them, but the way that it's worded I wouldn't be surprised to see someone doing something pretty darn stupid with them)

#537 10 years ago

and without attempting to de-rail bryan's thread any further, and going back to his 2nd post of this thread, I found these at harbor freight (a pack of 100 sell for $1.99) which are awesome for labeling all of your wiring harnesses when pulling everything off.

the ID tabs are 7/8"w x 1/4"h allowing you to easily label things for re-assembly

IMG_2215.JPGIMG_2215.JPG

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-4-inch-identification-cable-ties-99939.html

#538 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ebay link

Argh! He won't ship to Canada!

#539 10 years ago

Here's a smaller version--I've removed mine off the base and it comes in quite handy for soldering, etc:

http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

A $2.99 investment .

image_18418.jpgimage_18418.jpg

#540 10 years ago

Thanks for the fantastic thread Bryan, with all those great tips. I just re-decaled (dry) my MM after 50+ work on the cabinet and head box. I took a really deep breath and tried your technique for trimming the edges by running a blade at 45 degrees along the edge. It worked out beautifully so thanks heaps. I chickened out with the paint pen however and carefully masked the white decal edges with tape before applying the paint pen! Took a bit longer but ended up looking great.

1 week later
#541 10 years ago

Do you have any tips for putting new coil wrappers on the coils? Do they need to be wrapped tight or a little loose?

#542 10 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

Do you have any tips for putting new coil wrappers on the coils? Do they need to be wrapped tight or a little loose?

I wrap them tight. There's a bit of a trick to keep them straight, though.

#543 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I wrap them tight. There's a bit of a trick to keep them straight, though.

Thanks!

#544 10 years ago

It looks like I can not purchase new wrappers for a Data East machine so I am going to print my own. Any idea what type of paper I should use? Should it be more of a vinyl or more of an actual paper?

#545 10 years ago
Quoted from NickRocco:

It looks like I can not purchase new wrappers for a Data East machine so I am going to print my own. Any idea what type of paper I should use? Should it be more of a vinyl or more of an actual paper?

I use Papilio vinyl Here is a link http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20adhesive%20film%20media.html

#546 10 years ago

Thanks for the info on the wrappers!

While I know this thread is not covering playfield repairs, I hope that someone might be able to help me out.

Can anyone suggest how to fix the lifting shown on the "super ghillotine target" inlay in this picture?20131028_072320.jpg20131028_072320.jpg

#547 10 years ago

One more question - I have a back panel decal for my STTNG that I'm working on. What should I do to prepare the back panel for the decal? Sand and paint?

#548 10 years ago

This thread would make a great video.

#549 10 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

One more question - I have a back panel decal for my STTNG that I'm working on. What should I do to prepare the back panel for the decal? Sand and paint?

Yup. Start with 80 grit to remove the old paint, then 120 and finally 220. Really no need to prime. Just paint then sand with 320 to remove any "flecks."

#550 10 years ago

Question: Where do you get replacement Williams cabinet stickers once you've sanded and painted the inside of a cabinet? I am talking about the factory sticker with model number, s/n. volts etc?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,419.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.