Topic Stats

• 694 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by insx
  • Topic is favorited by 342 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 542 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

007-565.JPG
shop lift.jpg
001-277.JPG
indy (naked).jpg
010-62.JPG
011-609.JPG
008-608.JPG
007-254.JPG
003-270.JPG
002-384.JPG
001-445.JPG
022.JPG
027-145.JPG
026.JPG
025.JPG
024.JPG

There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 5 years ago

I've got an IJ I just started and decided to post pics of things as they go along. I've got a CC and Congo to finish up in the middle of this, so the process is going to take a while. I'm not sure how crazy I'll get with this. It may just be a hodge podge of restoration tips, if you will. If you learn something from my tips, great. If you have your own way of doing things, great. If you think I'm a f'ing idiot, please keep that to yourself.

#2 5 years ago

First pic shows how most people mark connectors before the unplug things. PLEASE don't do this. It ends up being more work for me when I have to restore it. Easiest way to remove Sharpie is with denatured alcohol.

Second pic shows how a simple pic can tell you exactly where the connectors go. I don't mark anything before I disconnect all the cables. I simply take a series of pics showing locations on all the boards.

003.JPG 005.JPG

#3 5 years ago

This is going to be great! Bring it on Bryan!

#4 5 years ago

Are you the same Bryan Kelly as on the Spooky Podcast? You're like my Idol! I'm doing an IJ now as well, maybe we could do them together - That would be awesome! Did I mention that you're my idol? Just busting...

Bring it on - I can't wait to see what you do! I really am going to start mine sometime this year as well.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Are you the same Bryan Kelly as on the Spooky Podcast?

Might be. How many of us Bryan Kellys do you know?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Are you the same Bryan Kelly as on the Spooky Podcast? You're like my Idol!

One in the same my friend....his voice has changed lately on the show....."Bryan from lovely Farm Animal, MN"

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

One in the same my friend....his voice has changed lately on the show....."Bryan from lovely Farm Animal, MN"

Bug is a f'ing dead man next time I see him!!

#8 5 years ago

The nice thing about a pinball lift is, not only can I move games around with it, but I can move the game up and down which makes it easier to work on things. When I have the game all the way to the floor, I can remove the playfield by myself.

007.JPG

#9 5 years ago

The next pics simply show ones I take for reference purposes. These are all I need to show me where everything goes once it's cleaned or rebuilt. They even show me where the ground braid goes. I write very little down when I do a restoration. The same goes for the playfield.

009.JPG 010.JPG 013.JPG

#10 5 years ago

Here's how I clean all the PCB's. Remove all fuses, spray the Scrubbing bubbles on, let sit for a minute or two, scrub with paint brush and rinse well. I'll leave them sit for a few minutes then blow all the water off with an air compressor.

If you think your boards look clean, try this and let me know how much brown shit runs off when you rinse them.

015.JPG

#11 5 years ago

In order to remove a playfield from the cabinet, you want to lift the playfield and slide forward about six inches or so. You don't want the playfield slides to engage on the cabinet pivot nuts. Once you've done that, you should be able to tilt the playfield all the way up. It should be sitting on the left and right blocks in the cabinet. Have you ever wondered why those are there?

It should look like this.

018.JPG

#12 5 years ago

Now, all you have to do is lift it out. Once out of the cabinet, I prefer setting them on the front of the playfield. Too many games, like IJ have parts mounted to the back of the backboard and you don't want to set them on that.

020.JPG

#13 5 years ago

When done for the day, it's time to enjoy the cold adult beverage of your choice.

Have a couple, if you'd like.

016.JPG

#14 5 years ago

Very interesting. I love threads like this...one day I'm gunna tear a whole sucker down myself.

#15 5 years ago

Awesome stuff! Keep the updates coming. Spotted Cow is good stuff.

#16 5 years ago

Bryan, when you are doing a high end restore do the boards just get cleaned or do you send them somewhere for what I have heard people call "bulletproofing"? I am just curious as I know things are prone to failure on boards after so many years.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here's how I clean all the PCB's.

That's one I want to try.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Bryan, when you are doing a high end restore do the boards just get cleaned or do you send them somewhere for what I have heard people call "bulletproofing"? I am just curious as I know things are prone to failure on boards after so many years.

On all the games I do, the boards get sent to Clive at The Coin-Op Cauldron. Clive not only replaces all out of spec components, but also updates all roms. They really are good as new when I get them back.

#19 5 years ago

Thanks Bryan. This is what I was thinking about doing. Just wasn't sure if it was worth doing if the boards were 100%.

#20 5 years ago

Looking good so far. Can't wait til it's done!!!

#21 5 years ago

Everything has been removed from the cabinets. Needless to say, a list has been made of things that need to be ordered. I also make notes of things that need to be corrected. In the first pic I found one of the plumb bob wires disconnected. The second shows the replacement leg plates mounted at an angle. All the holes will be filled and the plates will be mounted correctly. The third pic shows black carriage bolts on the door. They'll be replaced with brass. The tacky sticker will also be removed.

018.JPG 001.JPG 012.JPG

#22 5 years ago

The inside decals will not be going back on and neither will the shaker. A shaker on IJ is a really bad idea.

004.JPG 008.JPG

#23 5 years ago

Not much you can do with this guy other than have it plated. I'll be installing an NOS power box instead.

005.JPG

#24 5 years ago

Ever since Kerry Stair came out with stainless lock bar receivers, I don't even deal with trying to make the old ones look nice.

020.JPG

#25 5 years ago

I get to try and remove black paint from things because some dipshit decided to use a spray can to repaint the inside sides of the cabinet. BAD IDEA!!

009.JPG

#26 5 years ago

New artwork was installed by someone else and this pic gives you an idea of how it was done. I will admit, with a bright light shining on it, this looks worse than it really is, but it ain't good. I'll be taking more pics of the artwork, showing what to do and what not to do when I get the cabinet in the shop.

015.JPG

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

some dipshit decided to use a spray can to repaint the inside sides of the cabinet.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

By the way, I do find this thread helpful since I am interested in restoring my own IJ.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

When you get Bryan Kelly, Craig, you get Bryan Kelly. I'm the same guy here as I am in person.

#29 5 years ago

Thanks for posting all of this so far Bryan. There are many of us who appreciate when you guys do stuff like this. I know I will glean a few things from this thread for my upcoming projects.

Beers on me if you ever make it North of the border.

#30 5 years ago

Yes this is great stuff. We are very lucky to be getting this info. Bryan, I am curious when your redo a cabinet what upgrades and parts are a must. I know you swear by the Stern style cabinet protectors and am now seeing in this thread that there are inside the cabinet upgrades for leg bolts? Anything else thats a must?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Yes this is great stuff. We are very lucky to be getting this info. Bryan, I am curious when your redo a cabinet what upgrades and parts are a must. I know you swear by the Stern style cabinet protectors and am now seeing in this thread that there are inside the cabinet upgrades for leg bolts? Anything else thats a must?

Stay tuned and we'll see what we run into.

#32 5 years ago

Not to hijack your thread Bryan, but I am a fan of yours and have an AFM you restored.
A lot of your work inspired me to tackle my restoration of IJ as well.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-restoration-of-indiana-jonesthe-orange-edition

I look forward to your updates, you do really nice work!

Kevin

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The tacky sticker will also be removed.

What about the tacky coin door?

#34 5 years ago

I hauled the cabinets to the shop this morning and got things started. I have not idea who did the artwork on this cabinet and I don't mean to make him look bad. Seriously. I just want to show how imperfections will show through the new artwork, if not taken care of.

Now keep in mind, if you're standing five feet away from this game, you'd think it looked pretty damn nice. Not so when you get a little closer.

004.JPG 005.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG 037.JPG

#35 5 years ago

The old artwork was removed quite easily. I just grabbed and pulled.

014.JPG

#36 5 years ago

I couldn't quite figure out what was causing the odd waves and such under the artwork. Once removed, it was quite obvious. Someone had removed the original artwork with possibly a putty knife and heat gun and that's as far as they went. Maybe a little filler of some kind here and there, but there was no sanding done whatsoever.

016.JPG 028.JPG 038.JPG

#37 5 years ago

Time to remove the old glue. I hate the thought of using any kind of liquid adhesive remover, so what I do is sand it off. It's a bit time consuming, but it gets the job done. I use 80 grit paper in an air activated DA sander. Anything finer than that and the glue plugs the paper up rather quickly. It's bad enough with 80 grit but using 60 or more would be like rubbing rocks on the wood.

Once you start to sand, a lot of the glue will ball up and fly out from the sander, like in pic one. You'll notice on the right of that pic, some glue will heat up and pool together. At this point, I'll take a paint scraper and scrape as much of the glue off as I can. I'll continue this process until the glue is all gone. You'll want to change paper when you're getting no results. You'll also want to make sure your paint scraper is sharp. And I mean sharp. I'll actually sharpen it a few times while doing an entire cabinet. A sharp tool is a happy tool!!

Last pic shows the glue gone and I'm ready to make repairs.

021.JPG 022.JPG 040.JPG

#38 5 years ago

After sanding everything with 80 grit paper, it's time for repairs. Most every cabinet I've ever done has one or more corners separating, along with a variety of other issues, like ply separating of the plywood.

The first pic shows typical plywood separation. You'll want to pry it open and blow any debris out with compressed air. Next, set the cabinet such that the glue you're about to apply will run down into the separation. While prying it open, apply glue. Once the glue has run down, push closed, then open again. This will distribute the glue throughout. You can also use compressed air to blow the glue into the joint but be careful. You don't need much air. I'll also you a razor blade to spread the glue in some cases. Continue applying glue until the joint is full. Now all you have to do is clamp. Once clamped, if you don't have glue squishing out, you didn't apply enough.

I don't mess with any excess glue until it's fully dried. Once dried, I'll remove with a paint scraper.

030.JPG 032.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG

#39 5 years ago

Corner separations are dealt with about the same as ply separations. The first pic shows a typical corner that has separated and I've leaned the cabinet against a bench. Once the glue has been applied, things get clamped.

In this case, you want to clamp from both sides to keep the corner square. Again, make sure you have glue squishing out. The second pic may look like overkill, but if this corner ever separates again, it won't do it where it's been glued!!

073.JPG 075.JPG

#40 5 years ago

Here's a little trick to use for small repairs like in the first pic. Once you get the repair glued, you can use tape as your clamp. Simply apply the tape on one side and pull tight as you wrap it around to the other side.

066.JPG 068.JPG

#41 5 years ago

Now we're going to talk about whether IJ and games like it, were decaled or not. NO THEY WERE NOT!! But if you've ever removed IJ artwork, you'd swear it was a decal you were removing. NO IT WAS NOT!!

With earlier games, the artwork was screened directly unto the wood. At some point, Williams started buying their plywood with a vinyl outer layer applied at the factory. This gave them a perfectly smooth surface to apply the screening. This is not truly a decal, although it may appear so.

Looking at the top of the IJ head in pic one, you'll see what I mean. The same plywood was used for the top and here, I'm removing the vinyl layer. Remember, THIS IS NOT A DECAL!!

045.JPG

#42 5 years ago

For removing this vinyl layer, I simply use a heat gun and stiff, sharp putty knife. Heat, scrape, heat, scrape. I do this in strips. Hard to describe, but once you try it, you'll get the feel for it.

The second pic shows the top with vinyl and glue removed and sanded with 80 grit paper. It will eventually be sanded with 120 grit, then 220 grit, primed, sanded with 320 grit, then painted with semi gloss black and will look good as new.

046.JPG 050.JPG

#43 5 years ago

Here's a little tip. When removing the vinyl layer, you may find that you can just pull the vinyl up without using any heat. DO NOT DO THIS OR WILL BE FILLING A MILLION TINY HOLES WITH BONDO THAT YOU WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO!!

The first pic shows me doing this in a small area on top. You can easily see what happens.

The second pic shows the front and it certainly appears that's what the previous guy had done.

Again, DON'T DO THIS!!

048.JPG 024.JPG

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Now we're going to talk about whether IJ and games like it, were decaled or not. NO THEY WERE NOT!! But if you've ever removed IJ artwork, you'd swear it was a decal you were removing. NO IT WAS NOT!!
With earlier games, the artwork was screened directly unto the wood. At some point, Williams started buying their plywood with a vinyl outer layer applied at the factory. This gave them a perfectly smooth surface to apply the screening. This is not truly a decal, although it may appear so.
Looking at the top of the IJ head in pic one, you'll see what I mean. The same plywood was used for the top and here, I'm removing the vinyl layer. Remember, THIS IS NOT A DECAL!!

not_the_droids_youre_looking_for.jpeg

#45 5 years ago

Now onto the bottom of the head. Here's a case where you can make a cabinet look better than when it left the factory. The first pic shows the typical bottom of an IJ cabinet, again, using the plywood with the vinyl outer layer. The second pic shows the vinyl removed.

055.JPG 056.JPG

#46 5 years ago

These two pics show how badly the back, sides and bottom lined up when assembled.

059.JPG 061.JPG

#47 5 years ago

To remedy this, I'm going to use a belt sander with 80 grit paper to level things out. Word of warning, if you've never used a belt sander, you may not want to try this at home. You can end up with a worse looking bottom than what you started with!!

The second pic shows everything leveled off and DA sanded with 80 grit paper. It will eventually be sanded with 120 then 220 and left natural wood.

062.JPG 065.JPG

#48 5 years ago

Very nice tread

#49 5 years ago

This is great stuff. I will probably never do a full restoration like this myself, but it's still great to see how it's done and how much work is involved. Great attention to detail too.

#50 5 years ago

Thank you bryan.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
There are 694 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside