(Topic ID: 341399)

IJ - Reasonable price?

By Smiles527

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Hi - I am able to get my hands on an Indiana Jones - Pinball Adventure for $12,000- local. Restored but no extras (mods, color dmd etc….). everything looks and runs well. Advice is appreciated. Thank you.

#2 11 months ago

Not a bad deal at the moment. I see you are new here. This link https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=252 will show you the listing results of every Indiana Jones ever sold on pinside from most recent to oldest. The cheapest (in rough shape) has gone for 9600 this year with the most expensive restored going for 18000. Good luck!

#3 11 months ago

I'd love an Indy, and sadly (for me) 12k at the moment seems reasonable for a restored version (depending on the restore quality).

Take Santa's advice and review the archives. Also, take note of time listed - both how many days AND what year/season (summers generally see a slow down and the past few years prices have skyrocketed, but seem to be settling).

My guess, you'll never find a decent Indy under 10k again. But I'm no crystal ball.

#4 11 months ago

Thank you - yes a newbie but excited to get started before snow flies here. It's a local shop in my town that sells new Sterns and restored pins. The owner of the store tells me he got a bunch of pins from a plastic surgeon who had a collection and wanted to get rid of them. I thought it was reasonable too but just wanted to see what the "experts" had to say (that's you guys .

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from Smiles527:

Thank you - yes a newbie but excited to get started before snow flies here. It's a local shop in my town that sells new Sterns and restored pins. The owner of the store tells me he got a bunch of pins from a plastic surgeon who had a collection and wanted to get rid of them. I thought it was reasonable too but just wanted to see what the "experts" had to say (that's you guys .

Welcome to the fun! It’s not a secret find or anything with the place being a Stern dealer but if you post on a public forum about a certain game you also let other folks who could be potential buyers know. Just my 2 cents for the future. Good luck in the hunt!

#6 11 months ago

Pinny is right, no doubt this thread has made at least one other person search out a "restored" $12k IJ in the area, although my guess is "restored" in this case is more like "shopped". Even so, $12k for a decent IJ is about the current going rate.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from Smiles527:

Sounds like Pinball Alley. Do some research on them before buying if so!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/issues-experienced-with-pinball-alley-rochester-ny

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vetting-pinball-alley

#8 11 months ago

Show up with cash. Lay it out and make an offer. Asking price vs seeing Benjamins is very different. If they say no, walk. They set their price - you set yours and often times you will meet in the middle. I am not advocating low balling but right now sellers are high balling.

You will be surprised how dynamics change when they know you're not emotionally attached and right now it doesn't appear people are knocking over chairs to buy pins unless they are aggressively priced. Worst case scenario, you pay the $12k or buy it elsewhere. Keep a poker face and have patience.

I am new also, and I have come to now realize there is a bubble thread every year, but looking at sales graphs in marketplace shows a distinct downturn over the past six months. Inflation and supply and demand are one thing, but price gouging is another. The rapid Covid era pricing in the used sector seems to be the later and it appears it outpaced itself. Stern went up $2k and so did every other pin on earth as NIB seems to dictate market for some reason.

And no, I don't think a market collapse is happening, but prices went up too hard and too fast when people had literally nothing else to do but watch TV, play pins, video games, or collect sports cards and comics during Covid while the Federal Reserve had the printing presses running on fire with Uncle Sugar handing out free cash. That is no longer the social dynamic and inflation has outpaced salaries - fact. Something is going to give. I am holding for the most part. Sure, it could go up a bit, but the chances of it dropping are greater. I will take my chances.

Everyone says its just the summer blues. I disagree because its happening across all industries. I will hedge my bets through winter and if I am wrong, I have no problem eating some crow and paying a bit more if the upward trajectory continues. These are not normal times.

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Retro4Life:

Show up with cash. Lay it out and make an offer. Asking price vs seeing Benjamins is very different. If they say no, walk. They set their price - you set yours and often times you will meet in the middle. I am not advocating low balling but right now sellers are high balling.
    You will be surprised how dynamics change when they know you're not emotionally attached and right now it doesn't appear people are knocking over chairs to buy pins right now. Worst case scenario, you pay the $12k or buy it elsewhere. Keep a poker face and have patience.
    I am new also, and I have come to now realize there is a bubble thread every year, but looking at sales graphs in marketplace shows a distinct downturn over the past couple of months. Inflation and supply and demand are one thing, but price gouging is another. The rapid Covid era pricing in the used sector seems to be the later and it appears it outpaced itself. Stern went up $2k and so did every other pin on earth as NIB seems to dictate market for some reason.
    And no, I don't think a market collapse is happening, but prices went up too hard and too fast when people had literally nothing else to do but watch TV, play pins, video games, or collect sports cards and comics. That is no longer the social dynamic and inflation has outpaced salaries - fact. Something is going to give. I am holding for the most part. Sure, it could go up a bit, but the chances of it dropping are greater. I will take my chances.
    Everyone says its just the summer blues. It disagree because its happening across all industries. I will hedge my bets through winter and if I am wrong, I have no problem eating some crow and paying a bit more if upward trajectory continues.

This may sound like a shot at you but it’s not intended to be.

Greed cuts both ways. Thinking a game will continue to be valued more and more is one thing. The other is thinking games will get lower and lower and you wait and wait and will buy rock bottom is another. There are tons of folks still coming into pinball. Over 25 new Pinsiders a day joining Pinside and been like this for 10 years. Real time Data is below. When only a few folks join Pinside a day - deep decline coming. Pinball is such a small pond.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community

Pinball is a hobby. You can actually play these games. When folks learn that the value one gets out of their purchases is not “the pinball resale market” no no no and instead - It’s how many plays they put in and how much they love having a game or “probably” games in their home they will be on the right path. It’s awesome! If you look at it this way pinball is for you.

If you run your collection like an accountant and post and read Pinside more then you play then you just won’t enjoy it near as much.

These folks who are selling under 100 play games for less now made a mistake. If they think the hobby burned them it didn’t - They burned themselves. They can pivot their metrics off why they are in pinball during this adjustment period or leave. Up to them. Others coming in now and they have a nice opportunity to get some games at better prices than a year ago.

Pinball market is not efficient. Local deal, lower end price “at this point” I would grab it.

I see you are from TX. That $10,250 Bond Le by was a stupid good deal.

Eat these under 100 game sellers lunch. Sure. I just got a 27 Bond Prem from a dealer “trade in” for $8200! Yum!! But Dinner also thinking Bond prem will be $7500 “and” FS local?? I don’t think that’s going to happen. And I am 75 plays deep already in 2ish weeks. I love it! Just be careful not to pass too many deals you may eat nothing - downside.

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

This may sound like a shot at you but it’s not intended to be.
    Greed cuts both ways. Thinking a game will continue to be valued more and more is one thing. The other is thinking games will get lower and lower and you wait and wait and will buy rock bottom is another. There are tons of folks still coming into pinball. Over 25 new Pinsiders a day joining Pinside. Data is below. When only a few folks join Pinside a day - deep decline coming. Pinball is such a small pond.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community
    Pinball is a hobby. You can actually play these games. When folks learn that the value one gets out of their purchases is not “the pinball resale market” no no no and instead - It’s how many plays they put in and how much they love having a game or “probably” games in their home they will be on the right path. It’s awesome! If you look at it this way pinball is for you.
    If you run your collection like an accountant and post and read Pinside more then you play then you just won’t enjoy it near as much.
    These folks who are selling under 100 play games for less now made a mistake. If they think the hobby burned them it didn’t - They burned themselves. They can pivot their metrics off why they are in pinball during this adjustment period or leave. Up to them. Others coming in now and they have a nice opportunity to get some games at better prices than a year ago.
    Pinball market is not efficient. Local deal, lower end price “at this point” I would grab it.
    I see you are from TX. That $10,250 Bond Le by was a stupid good deal.
    Eat these under 100 game sellers lunch. Sure. Dinner also?? I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Some younger (early 30s) people I work with are using this thinking for buying a house, too. "I'm gonna wait a couple years til the market crashes again".......it's aint crashing again. Prices might go down a little here and there, but there will never be another 2008 meltdown. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stock up on real estate and position yourself for the rest of your life. I wish I'd emptied my 401k and bought every house around here. Brick ranches 25k, 3 bedroom bungalows 15-20k. Never again.

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Some younger (early 30s) people I work with are using this thinking for buying a house, too. "I'm gonna wait a couple years til the market crashes again".......it's aint crashing again. Prices might go down a little here and there, but there will never be another 2008 meltdown. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stock up on real estate and position yourself for the rest of your life. I wish I'd emptied my 401k and bought every house around here. Brick ranches 25k, 3 bedroom bungalows 15-20k. Never again.

The next meltdown people aren’t gonna have money like that to spend, that’s the whole thing. In 2008 people were afraid for their livelihood’s and there was no light at the end of the tunnel! When (not if) it happens again people will think it’s 2008 but for real this time and the end is near.

As Warren Buffett said: “be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.” Right now we’re still in the first half.

#12 11 months ago

I dont take it as a shot. Its a valid discussion point. To be honest, it's a game and nothing more to me (blasphemy here I know). If it doesn't work out or I don't get the games that I want for a price I am willing to pay, there are plenty of other hobbies to keep me entertained full tilt - pun intended

Even if there are 25 new pinsiders joining a day, they are still under the same market conditions as everyone else. Case in point, there is a guy selling a pin in the classifieds to help pay for a car repair. Life is expensive right now. Pinball is not some sacred cow that everyone here thinks it is and it will be subject to market pressures. Sure I will acknowledge there are deep pockets and a bunch of affluent tech-bro dudes and professionals here. I get it and will acknowledge it will probably weather storms longer than most becaues of that dynamic.

Money has been cheap over the last decade with historically low interest rates. That ship has sailed. I work for a publicly traded company in the tech/telecom sector and our pipelines look bad - really bad. Layoffs are happening and in fact six employees I know got walked today. I have a strong suspicion this is not an isolated event with just us. My vendors that I purchase from Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet, etc are offering serious discounts. They are hurting and on top of that what they can sell is often months out to ship due to supply chains for which POs aren't paid until product is received. Its pretty bad and its all being swept under the rug because the reality is that if it continues, its not a pleasant picture.

Hobbyists will be the ones to hold games longer unless they get what they want because they play it and enjoy it. Its already money spent and if they don't need money i.e. car repair, home repair/remodel, etc its no sweat off their back and they will just play it or trade. If they don't get their asking price, they can't buy the replacement because its also $$$.

Dealers are a different story. Commercial loans are getting more stringent and expensive. Operating expenses are higher now than ever, and they have bills to pay. Most are mom and pop sized so they don't have deep coffers to weather tuff storms. I am not advocating cutting their knees off but without cash flow they die. Its all too early to tell if this is just a blip on the radar or if these market conditions are truly canaries in the coal mine.

Either way, I am loving pinball. Its fun, but to me it most certainly has a price barrier before I walk. Yeah, I know....don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

And what crystal ball do you have? A lot of the recent housing boom was fueled by commercial purchases which is an uncharted territory. Corporate money with cash offers that pushed many "normal family" buyers to buy at prices they normally wouldn't or couldn't. Rent is now sky high and young 30 somethings are moving back home because of it. If those corporate entities ditch those assets because of poor performance, all bets are off.

Inventory will outpace demand, prices will drop, and people will be upside down in a blink. Many will not remain in a upside down investment and will bail. The apple cart can tip quickly. Remember, no one ever thought 2008 would ever happen except Michael Burry and everyone said he was an idiot. I bought my Florida home during the 2006 boom years. As with everything, life is peachy - until it isn't. All I know is its tumultuous right now. I won't call the ball either way but stuff is getting very real.

Last post for me on the subject - I wish the OP well on the purchase. I hope you get your Indy either now or in the future.

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Some younger (early 30s) people I work with are using this thinking for buying a house, too. "I'm gonna wait a couple years til the market crashes again".......it's aint crashing again. Prices might go down a little but here and there, but there will never be another 2008 meltdown. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stock up on real estate and position yourself for the rest of your life. I wish I'd emptied my 401k and bought every house around here. Brick ranches 25k, 3 bedroom bungalows 15-20k. Never again.

This may give some answers to Retro4Life

Govt payouts and spending has been the driver for the economy now and will be the next decades - period. Fed is now impotent and so are banks.

Since we are in the topic (sorry IJ lol) govt has added a huge amount of money the last dozen years…..heck 40 plus years. This increases the money supply. This makes real assets naturally rise along with some inflation. Fortunately last dozen years we got IPhone, Social media, fiber, ev cars, streaming Amazon delivery etc from all this money added - “innovation”. 2000-2009???? Hmmm we got - housing and mortgage back securities speculation and war funding with the money. Which was better?? Also Tech can actually be deflationary. Pretty cool!

Don’t worry - National debt is no big deal. Govt can add money to pay interest but if not used properly we have inflation and worse stagflation. That’s bad and really bad.

Why Inflation during pandemic? Govt added too much money during pandemic and shut down economies limiting economic capacity. Unfortunately inflation is pretty much baked in now. Oops! Downside of adding too much money too quick. But economic capacity is rising - fast!

Also! The pandemic money is still out there. “Folks with money” are making more money with 5.25% yields in MMA’s now sitting in their 2.75% mortgage houses. When MMA rates come down 5,4,3,2% folks with money “tend” to look for better opportunities and invest more and buy equities, businesses, housing, also collectibles, etc.. and hopefully we get awesome innovation! Also guess what? Govt is back on the spending track after slowing down in 2022 which was the main cause of a stock market drop. Spending up again - Shocking! It is what it is. But the Money sloshes around in then economy and “tends” to find better places. iPhone comes along. Ahhh

Will see how that transition of rates down goes. Right now higher rates are adding kindling to the dollar supply fire. Higher rates hurt the folks without money and starting out car / house loan the most. Not sure what good higher rates will do for inflation at this point? We had a supply problem coming out of the pandemic that was the main problem. Higher rates actually add more money to the economy. Your 2.75 fixed mortgage go up??

So with all this money coming in SaP will be at 6500 in couple of years. Housing steadily does well. Pinball will do alright also. Real assets will steadily cost more to make - pinball. And lower but elevated Inflation helps GDP with higher pricing of goods sold - oddly.

Let’s look at how much money is “sitting on the sidelines” in MMA’s. Remember - one million million is a trillion. Higher GDP and inflation will help us outrun the deficit.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MMMFFAQ027S

We are not and won’t go into recession. I never believed it. That is stagflation that causes it. We don’t have and the US is not close to it. Europe - that’s why they are still struggling.

But things will be real good and pull back at times. With the govt spending comes higher highs and still lows from here. Stocks especially. If we get 6500ish we will likely get 4000ish after. Why? Govt will “slow spending”. Slow not stop. Let’s not get crazy. Govt will spend with crisis now. Any crisis happen since 2001 that caused more spending?

Housing - we fell way behind in building starts after the housing banking crisis lasted years. Like the lowest amount of builds in history pretty much. Builders could not get loans. And why put money in housing with tech rolling with Goog Apple FB Amazon etc?? Black swan period and we still feel the effects

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HOUST5F

And rates were low and tech jobs added income to folks paychecks. Opps. Now we are steadily coming out of it. But yeah let’s raise rates higher. Durrrrr. Anyway it would be nice if cities encouraged building. Many restrictions out there now. Historic areas. What if they lighten up??

Blah blah blah - from the govt spending we need to get innovation that makes all our lives better rich and lower income. We need more 2010-2023 not 2000-2008, if so look out! But expect higher highs and deeper pullbacks revolving around “govt spending and deficits”

Key point - Federal Deficits add to “the money supply”. Anyone want to significantly lower “the money supply” in the decade ahead? Don’t think so. Disaster

Hope this gave folks a new perspective.

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from Retro4Life:

And what crystal ball do you have?

I suppose I could ask you the same thing, no?

#17 11 months ago

I think 10k is reasonable

#18 11 months ago

Post not needed

#19 11 months ago

That poor IJ thread.

It’s hilarious discussing the “horrible” economic outlook on a thread about a 30 year old luxury toy.

I couldn’t sell my IJ for less than $2k some 20 years ago (still have that (for me, I understand some love that game) clunker with an impossible ramp shot) and nowadays these things apparently go for $10k while people constantly trash talk the economy LOL.

My stupid IJ has been sitting in my collection for more than 20 years with probably 2 plays / year average. Maybe I should sell it I guess.

#20 11 months ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I think 10k is reasonable

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

That poor IJ thread.
    It’s hilarious discussing the “horrible” economic outlook on a thread about a 30 year old luxury toy.
    I couldn’t sell my IJ for less than $2k some 20 years ago (still have that (for me, I understand some love that game) clunker with an impossible ramp shot) and nowadays these things apparently go for $10k while people constantly trash talk the economy LOL.
    My stupid IJ has been sitting in my collection for more than 20 years with probably 2 plays / year average. Maybe I should sell it I guess.

It might help your economic outlook if you sold it. You'd be able to put gas in your tank and food on the table, since that shit keeps going up. Haha

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

That poor IJ thread.

IJ are like a Mickey Mantle baseball cards of pinball along with some other older games. It and they won’t always run higher but will always be in demand and valued more than most all the rest. Theme/Playability/availability/demand/price.

#23 11 months ago

IJ is a 30 year old game so condition can vary a lot. The condition of what is marketed as a "restored" game can also vary considerably. Although $12k could be a reasonable deal it is hard to say much without pictures or a more detailed description.

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

It might help your economic outlook if you sold it. You'd be able to put gas in your tank and food on the table, since that shit keeps going up. Haha

Haha - if those are the things that someone is concerned about, they should never be dropping 10k on a pinball machine.
    Unless you have a strong level of solvency, purchasing pinball machines is irresponsible, but to each their own.

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

That poor IJ thread.

If you hate it, why do you still have it? One of the greatest games ever made, and I had mine redone by HEP...its never leaving.

The ramp shot is intentionally hard; it's the jackpot shot. But I've never had that much of a problem hitting it and I certainly wouldn't call the game a clunker.

To each his own, I guess. I put about 17k into mine (with a new original clear coated playfield)...glad to see my investment has paid off, even if I'm not selling.

#26 11 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you hate it, why do you still have it? One of the greatest games ever made, and I had mine redone by HEP...its never leaving.
    The ramp shot is intentionally hard; it's the jackpot shot. But I've never had that much of a problem hitting it and I certainly wouldn't call the game a clunker.
    To each his own, I guess. I put about 17k into mine (with a new original clear coated playfield)...glad to see my investment has paid off, even if I'm not selling.

Yeah, but you're rich.

#27 11 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yeah, but you're rich.

A rich music teacher.

#28 11 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

A rich music teacher.

Fat NJ govt/county employee pension coming though!

Saw it in the news. Has to be true.

#30 11 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I never sold a pinball machine and don’t really want to sell them because to me it’s a major hassle having to deal with strangers and money.

I do hate moving heavy items but I don’t hate my IJ machine.

I just don’t like playing it but it is a nice piece of furniture.

I call it a clunker because there are too many posts lined up with minimal spacing in the upper half of the playfield, similar to Houdini’s targets so most of my shots end up hitting a post and not accomplishing anything. I’m in awe that other players have the skills to avoid this but I don’t.

Also, contrary to apparently many here, I’m doing fine in our economy and don’t need the money
    so it’ll sit pretty in my lineup until whoever inherits my machines sells them off for cheap.

#31 11 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I never sold a pinball machine and don’t really want to sell them because to me it’s a major hassle having to deal with strangers and money.
    I do hate moving heavy items but I don’t hate my IJ machine.
    I just don’t like playing it but it is a nice piece of furniture.
    I call it a clunker because there are too many posts lined up with minimal spacing in the upper half of the playfield, similar to Houdini’s targets so most of my shots end up hitting a post and not accomplishing anything. I’m in awe that other players have the skills to avoid this but I don’t.
    Also, contrary to apparently many here, I’m doing fine in our economy and don’t need the money
    so it’ll sit pretty in my lineup until whoever inherits my machines sells them off for cheap.

How is your health? (Kidding)

Well you have been around the block a time or two and know what you are doing. Sounds like you are in a good spot right now. Nice going!

You have a nice group of games there for sure.

#32 11 months ago

To answer your question 12k for an IJ is not reasonable unless you are a seasoned collector who understands the word “restored” in the context of this hobby.

An A1 restoration employs a lot of work, skill and cost. Most titled “restored” games do not meet this criteria. I would recommend having a seasoned collector look at the game with you.

#33 11 months ago

Fat NJ govt/county employee pension coming though!
    Saw it in the news. Has to be true.

Not really. I'm not that guy that goes home at 3 and complains about what he makes. I've got an expensive hobby so I work 12 hour days.

#34 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

To answer your question 12k for an IJ is not reasonable unless you are a seasoned collector who understands the word “restored” in the context of this hobby.
    An A1 restoration employs a lot of work, skill and cost. Most titled “restored” games do not meet this criteria. I would recommend having a seasoned collector look at the game with you.

I'd look it over for him if he was close enough to me. No idea where he is.

#35 11 months ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not really. I'm not that guy that goes home at 3 and complains about what he makes. I've got an expensive hobby so I work 12 hour days.

And you are OP on a Pinside thread where you have to moderate and give upvotes on. That’s like a part time job right there!

You have have it rough Beelze!!

Back on topic - Wait a second is $12k for an IJ now not reasonable?? Huh?

I thought $10 was a lowball not serious thing??

Was the problem “restored” over price. Restored for $12 I am thinking that means wiped down with Novus. Yes.

Folks I know are old school collectors and will take IJ to their grave. Part of the problem with availability and pricing. And no they don’t need to sell for a car repair.

#36 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

When (not if) it happens again

I can’t wait to step over the corpses of greed

#37 11 months ago

Back on topic - Wait a second is $12k for an IJ now not reasonable?? Huh?

Why not? When a p.o.s Spike Pro cost 8k with nothing in it ,it seems to make sence ..
    Why Not ? When a single level P.O.S Spike Bond 60th with even less than a Spike PRO in it cost 13 k LMAO
    Why Not ? When a Spike P.O.S LE cost 13k .With a piece of Paper Certificate and Plate which now come on all games just with a special 1 of 1000 number on it ?

12k for a game with lots going for it and many Video modes like Indy has in it ,yes looks to be a deal for a game that rarely has a problem in it and you can still buy parts for it TODAY ,where as you can't get parts for current P.O.S Spikes that are still on the line

Sorry My Buddy ,For using your Quote. But you are always welcome back to my home for a revisit when in the area My Friend

1 month later
    #38 10 months ago

Hi All,
    This is indeed a Pinball Alley pinball machine. It is sold and came from a private collection where it is documented HUO. We have been around (going on 82 years) and know the difference between a shop job and full restoration. It is nearing it completion and I will be happy to post photos and a video. This is one sweet ride.

-Jerry

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.