Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mikoz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm working on this POA and can't figure it out. In the test mode it works perfectly. Sounds good and strong. While playing the game it tilts to the right perfectly but to the left it stutters. I've unhooked the POA from the motor shaft and the shaft alone does the same thing. Any thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

Clean the flipper optos.

#3 11 years ago

Flipper optos are definitely the first step.
The opto board on the PoA board (mounted to the back panel) is the next most likely culprit. Try cleaning the two optos on the board.

If the problem persists, you may need to replace or repair the PoA opto board or even the motor driver board under the playfield. There is a guy in Australia that makes a replacement driver board. It's part A-15946. http://www.homepin.com/poa.html

My IJ exhibited the exact same symptoms and I eventually replaced the opto board on the backbox and it now works perfectly. Great Lakes Modular sells a replacement. Part # A-16657

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

I'm working on this POA and can't figure it out. In the test mode it works perfectly. Sounds good and strong. While playing the game it tilts to the right perfectly but to the left it stutters. I've unhooked the POA from the motor shaft and the shaft alone does the same thing. Any thoughts?

Try replacing the fuse. I've literally just rotated the fuse before and that fixed POA issues.

#5 11 years ago

As always with flipper opto board tests, try swapping left/right and see if the stutter moves to the right.

#6 11 years ago

Interesting.. mine works perfectly until I turn my AC on that's plugged in to the same circuit. Then it tilts right perfectly, and stutters to the left.

#7 11 years ago

Cleaned the optos and it seemed better. Pulled the motor control board, reflowed and added solder to everything. Looks like they used as little solder as possible. There were spots with solder gaps. Not cold solder joints but just not enough used. It worked but the left flipper stoped working. Fuse blew. Replaced the fuse and presto. Sounds like you were all right. Thanks all.

#8 11 years ago

I'd be worried about why that fuse blew.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'd be worried about why that fuse blew.

Any thoughts on that? First thought was I did something but im sure the machine was off every time I did anything. I checked all my connections and looked for a short before I powered back up after replacing the fuse but everything looked in order.

2 years later
#10 8 years ago

Hi all,

Which fuse was it that you replaced?
(I think I have the same problem as described in this thread).

-mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-poa-problems-any-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.