Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Trogdor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C80A1517-86C4-4FCB-BEDB-C93408CA4385 (resized).jpeg

#1 32 days ago

Had column problem, battery leakage damage. Replaced CPU board with new rottendog. Also fixed top right switch of mini pf while waiting for board. Previous problems solved. But mini pf motor started failing. Motor has power, fails tests, jerky movements counterclockwise, then stops moving counterclockwise. Sometimes stops turning other way. Optos register in test mode. Flippers work, up - down buttons on coin door work. Bridge board is new and has power. Do optos stop mini pf rotation or is it physical stop by mini pf hitting something? My optos don’t stop motor turning. Everything else -idol- seem fine. Connections look good, solder is new.
Any ideas where to look? Thanks

#2 32 days ago

If everything sounds good, I would check the gearing box. Make sure, it turns smoothly without forcing.

#3 32 days ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

If everything sounds good, I would check the gearing box. Make sure, it turns smoothly without forcing.

Will it turn with motor attached? Mine does not. By itself, it moves decently.

#4 32 days ago

you should be able to make the gear box move by hand. If the motor does not move it when attached, then, the gears are probably stuck by old grease or dust, or damaged... check the one on the motor first...

#5 32 days ago

You can esaily test it by removing these 2 parts and use a 12v external power.

#6 32 days ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

You can esaily test it by removing these 2 parts and use a 12v external power.

Motor and gearbox pass.

#7 32 days ago

Do the optos feed back to the motor to stop movement? With mini pf off, will it stop the arm when it registers at the opto or will it pass through?

#8 32 days ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Do the optos feed back to the motor to stop movement? With mini pf off, will it stop the arm when it registers at the opto or will it pass through?

I had the same issue, the POA was stuttering from side to side. I replaced the bridge driver board and still had the issue. Cleaned the optos and it started working better but went back to stuttering. Replaced opto board and worked fine thereafter. I ended up replacing the motor assembly as the gear was quite worn as I'm slowly replacing the old parts that are known most likely to fail over time. I tried re-flowing the opto board first with no success just for the sake of learning / trouble shooting etc.

#9 32 days ago

The optos stop the mini pf for going further.

What's happen when you power up the pin? Does the poa makes its quick test.

#10 31 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I had the same issue, the POA was stuttering from side to side. I replaced the bridge driver board and still had the issue. Cleaned the optos and it started working better but went back to stuttering. Replaced opto board and worked fine thereafter. I ended up replacing the motor assembly as the gear was quite worn as I'm slowly replacing the old parts that are known most likely to fail over time. I tried re-flowing the opto board first with no success just for the sake of learning / trouble shooting etc.

Doh! Yes, I’m slowly replacing boards and parts as well. I guess I bought a 27 yr old house.
Thanks for the info. I took out motor opto board and it looks great. It doesn’t look original. Solid solder, nothing scorched. It is most likely suspect- will order a new one. It just seems odd that it happened as soon as cpu board was replaced.

#11 31 days ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

The optos stop the mini pf for going further.
What's happen when you power up the pin? Does the poa makes its quick test.

It moves in quick test but it does come up as failure. If test with mini pf attached, it will jam playfield into metal guide along the left. Thanks

#12 31 days ago

Well, if the motor works fine, you may have an issue with the opto board.

#13 31 days ago

Opto mini pf boards do fail. Swap flipper button opto boards side to side, see if issue changes.

If all else fails, swap in another cpu, if possible. Also, DOUBLE CHECK THOSE RIBBON CABLES! I still find myself mis-plugging those after all these years!

#14 31 days ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Doh! Yes, I’m slowly replacing boards and parts as well. I guess I bought a 27 yr old house.
Thanks for the info. I took out motor opto board and it looks great. It doesn’t look original. Solid solder, nothing scorched. It is most likely suspect- will order a new one. It just seems odd that it happened as soon as cpu board was replaced.

Yes, well a couple days ago, as soon as two balls are locked in the idol I would get an extra ball kicked out into the shooter lane. LED #4 has failed so just ordered both trough opto boards and after that a new MPU board and I will hopefully be done with board replacement. Rebuilding the flippers in the next couple weeks too.....

#15 30 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Yes, well a couple days ago, as soon as two balls are locked in the idol I would get an extra ball kicked out into the shooter lane. LED #4 has failed so just ordered both trough opto boards and after that a new MPU board and I will hopefully be done with board replacement. Rebuilding the flippers in the next couple weeks too.....

Lol. I think word “pinball” should be changed to “foreverbreakingballsbreaker”. Seems more catchy. FBBB for the kids.

#16 26 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

No luck. Put in new opto motor board. With mini pf assembly off- motor movement much better. When assembled, level arm goes through opto limit, jamming mini playfield against ramp. Then won’t go back below opto limit or turn counter clockwise at all. In mini pf test, machine is often stuck at “checking mini pf” display- can’t finish test. Any ideas? I’m suspecting new cpu board.

#17 25 days ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

No luck. Put in new opto motor board. With mini pf assembly off- motor movement much better. When assembled, level arm goes through opto limit, jamming mini playfield against ramp. Then won’t go back below opto limit or turn counter clockwise at all. In mini pf test, machine is often stuck at “checking mini pf” display- can’t finish test. Any ideas? I’m suspecting new cpu board.

Sorry it did not resolve the issue. Did you swap the flipper opto boards? Since I have not encountered your current issue and have not replaced my cpu board as of yet I am stumped.

Changed out my trough boards yesterday and all is well, no second ball kick out when 2 balls are locked in the idol. Love Indy, but it is bleeding the $$ from me.....

#18 25 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Sorry it did not resolve the issue. Did you swap the flipper opto boards? Since I have not encountered your current issue and have not replaced my cpu board as of yet I am stumped.
Changed out my trough boards yesterday and all is well, no second ball kick out when 2 balls are locked in the idol. Love Indy, but it is bleeding the $$ from me.....

I hear ya.
Swap the flippers optos? No, haven’t tried. Not using flippers to test, just the +, - buttons on coin door so has to be issue between motor opto and cpu. Right? I’ll have to pull up some schematics. Enjoy your Indy while you can!

#19 24 days ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

I hear ya.
Swap the flippers optos? No, haven’t tried. Not using flippers to test, just the +, - buttons on coin door so has to be issue between motor opto and cpu. Right? I’ll have to pull up some schematics. Enjoy your Indy while you can!

I see, if you are testing through the + / - I would assume that the flipper opto's would not be the culprit. I believe it was suggested in this thread and I when I researched it was one of the troubleshooting tips to try swapping the flipper boards. It did not fix my issue but it's always good to rule out that possibility....The POA test has an auto mode to test also if I remember correctly. The last item that has not been replaced, the motor assembly for the POA could be the issue, which is why I changed all 3 parts within the same week, but that is another cha-ching. If you do not have a pinsound plus or shaker motor, it's an awesome upgrade, consider it down the road..$$$$

#20 24 days ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I see, if you are testing through the + / - I would assume that the flipper opto's would not be the culprit. I believe it was suggested in this thread and I when I researched it was one of the troubleshooting tips to try swapping the flipper boards. It did not fix my issue but it's always good to rule out that possibility....The POA test has an auto mode to test also if I remember correctly. The last item that has not been replaced, the motor assembly for the POA could be the issue, which is why I changed all 3 parts within the same week, but that is another cha-ching. If you do not have a pinsound plus or shaker motor, it's an awesome upgrade, consider it down the road..$$$$

Shaker huh? Thanks for the tip, I might as well chuck more money at this beast. Motor, gear box work fine. It seems like feedback issue from opto motor board. Have to check wiring, cpu board when I have time, motivation. Has been an ordeal.

#21 20 days ago

Well, I thought I might as well just unplug motor and test rest of game. Within two minutes, both fuses for the flippers blew. Reconnected motor, again flippers blew. This is a new fliptronics board. I’m guessing somethings wrong with the 12v supply, but have to get some new fuses.. Any ideas?

I did put old cpu board back in to test problem, mini pf is still bad. Only thing left that changed before problem began is the fix on the top right switch of mini pf. I don’t think that switch worked since I’ve owned it. Switch works in test now, would it mess with 12v supply?

2 weeks later
#22 3 days ago
C80A1517-86C4-4FCB-BEDB-C93408CA4385 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Zamora, CL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside