Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by guido
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wraped playfield 2 (8 hours later).jpg
IMG_20140801_153655.jpg
wraped playfield.jpg
2nu6g4m-165.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi!
I left the playfield standing upright with all the stuff assembled for a long time. Over the time the weight of the top part has warped the upper part of the playfield. How could I straighten the playfield?
Should the playfield flatten out over time if I put it back on the box completely assembled?
I really appreciate any piece of advice.

2nu6g4m-165.jpg

#2 5 years ago

In this picture I've drawn a straight line so that you can see the warped playfield.
wraped playfield.jpg

I've put the playfield on the floor supported by the four cornes and with some books on it to see if it works out the problem.
IMG_20140801_153655.jpg

#3 5 years ago

I'd say once you place it back in the game, it'll straighten itself out.

#4 5 years ago

You could try and replace the playfield supports with new straight ones (from your pictures it looks like they are perhaps cracked/bent). That will help to keep the playfield straight.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-playfield-rails-fh-tz-sc-afm

#5 5 years ago

I would have expected the playfield to warp the other way like Safecracker.

Sorry, no help here, hope it flattens out for you.

#6 5 years ago

Replace the rails with new ones and that will get you 90% there.

Putting it back in the machine should get you the rest of the way.

#7 5 years ago

I had this exact problem with my IJ playfield.. the left wood siderail cracked and everything. I replaced the cracked one and that has helped a good bit.. I wouldn't say 100% but at least adjusting the loop guides and things I can get the ball to behave better. With the thing bowed like that, I was getting a lot of mode start releases clipping the slings , and outer loops doing the things.. it was trying to tune that out that i realized the wood side rail was cracked.

My suspicion is that there's so many holes punched in that area for the mode start inserts that the playfield is a little weak there and starts to bow.

I had contimplated putting an eyebolt into the bottom of the cabinet and bottom of playfield with a threaded rod between them / turnbuckle to keep it in tension until it either worked itself out or permanently (just a pain to raise the playfield), but just fixing the wood and some ball guide tuning got me into "satisfactory" zone. If I ever pull it out to clear or something I'd look harder at what's going on.

#8 5 years ago

what you have there is both side rails have had the glue let go in the finger joint half way up the rail as they are not solid wood but glued bits of wood [see the small tear in side rail black wrap in your picture]. Replace both side rails with white oak and stain them dark black or paint and problem solved. I have had 2 IJ's and both had this exact same problem and it was all the side rails that let go. Eventually you will get cracked inserts [big arrows] and the black wrap will tear down each side as there is no strength left in those rails at all!
Replace with new wood and game is better than new. Both of mine play perfectly now. No warp or even flex when lifted etc.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you for your replies.
So first thing I must do is to replace the side rails with a pair of new ones. I'll see if I can find a carpenter nearby to get white oak wood. Could I use whitewood instead? It's much easier to find that kind of wood.

After eight hours with the books on the playfield this is the result.
wraped playfield 2 (8 hours later).jpg

#10 5 years ago

Check for Taylor-VA on Pinside - in the past he has made and sold side rails from oak painted to match the original vinyl-covered wood.

#11 5 years ago

White oak or a form of hardwood , solid one piece, is whats needed. Any local carpenter can help .

#12 5 years ago

I can make you some rails if interested. I use oak and drill for all screw holes. I finish them in black lacquer. $40+shipping which is usually about 7-9 in the US. Just shipped some to Canada which ran to $19 for shipping.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks Taylor for your offer. Your rails are perfect. I'd buy them from you if it weren't for I live in Europe and the shipping is too high.

#15 5 years ago

Sorry to hear that and I hope you find what you need. Make sure whomever makes them for you uses your old ones to transfer all holes over to the new set. In not doing so there is a good chance the oak will crack.

#16 5 years ago

I´ll get them made by a carpenter. However, I will transfer the holes using the old set. I'll use a driller.
Thank you for your piece of advice.

1 month later
#17 5 years ago

Just checking for an update? Did you get new rails and did it help?

#18 5 years ago

i hope this works out good for you! i would go OCD nuts on that! at least get those rails off there asap and re support that PF so it sits back in a flat position.

#19 5 years ago

Hi. Finally I didn't get the new rails but the playfield straightened itself out when I put it back in the game. Now the playfield is almost flat. I need new rails though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Marietta, GA
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside