unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg
IJ mode start.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I haven't seen a thread for IJ owners, so I thought I'd start one. Here's my opening query:

I have had my IJ for only a relatively short time, and I am curious to learn about strategy from more experienced users. My biggest problem is hitting the right ramp with enough velocity to make it to the POA consistently. (For the record, I have completely new flipper assemblies with the blue coils, and the machine is set at a reasonable pitch.) What is your best advice for making that shot?

#2 11 years ago

It's a tuff shot but not as hard as that darn saucer
I moved my coils down to the orange ones and I have no problems making the right ramp and getting to the POA. I would double check the pitch and make sure you're right around 6.5 degrees.
Use a digital torpedo level to get a good read on your incline. Smartphone apps that tell incline seem too inconsistent to be accurate IMO.
Have you checked the flipper optos to make sure they're good and clean? I'm pretty sure a dirty or flakey opto can do funky things to your flipper power.
A good coat of wax on the ramps won't hurt either!

#3 11 years ago

The flipper optos are also new, but waxing the ramp never occurred to me. I'll give that a try.

I can sometimes make that shot, and have done so with both flippers, but I still wonder what the most consistent approach might be.

#4 11 years ago

I'm a newbie owner for over a week and I can hit the ramp easily when it doesn't mean anything. As soon as the POA is available or its a jackpot I can't get a solid shot through the posts! Just curious what the ramp sound is from. I know it's supposed to be a plane's engine turning over but when I first heard it it sounded like a laser shot from an At At walker.

#5 11 years ago

That's funny I play my friends ij and the same thing with the ramp. but never have a problem with my ij.

#6 11 years ago

great theme, fun game, so much to it ,I actually have it set at 5 balls for guests, every other game at 3 balls

#7 11 years ago

Does ij4 count its a indiana jones pinball

#8 11 years ago

I love my Indy, but that mode shot is giving me headaches. I used to be able to at least
backhand the mode hole but since I installed a cliffy protector ring doing that has almost
become impossible also. The ball just will not stay in it's hole. I too find the right ramp hard
but fair. Btw, if anyone knows about a speaker panel plastic for sale, I'd be eternally grateful.
Been having no luck finding one myself

#11 11 years ago

Many people don't install the Cliffy there due to bounce outs. You can also lower the saucer itself with washers (or just loosening the screws).

#12 11 years ago

Hey.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately they are all sold out on that site Shoot_again (and I only
need the plastic)
Already have the light kit for it from pin gizmo and it is a fine addition. All the scratches on
the plastic in front of the dmd is driving me mad though. Thanks Jayhawkai. Will have
to try that out. I have no extensive wear round the mode hole so I believe that protector
has to go

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

The flipper optos are also new, but waxing the ramp never occurred to me. I'll give that a try.
I can sometimes make that shot, and have done so with both flippers, but I still wonder what the most consistent approach might be.

Lowering the saucer as jayhawkai mentioned and lining the left hand side of the saucer entrance with gray foam tape is what worked for me. I'd say 90% of my saucer shots stay now.

#14 11 years ago

I'm actually making an interactive tutorial as of this last week. Full explanation of the rules, strategies and history!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Lowering the saucer as jayhawkai mentioned and lining the left hand side of the saucer entrance with gray foam tape is what worked for me. I'd say 90% of my saucer shots stay now.

I also put a small piece of foam at the very top of the deflector, so a dead on shot is slightly dampened, and the ball tends to fall into the hole. The deflector also takes a beating and gets bent out of shape, so next time you take off the POA take the deflector out and bend it back into the right shape. I'm at about 90% success as well, unless it's a super fast dead on shot from the right flipper which tends to bounce out with a crazy spin.

#16 11 years ago

First off, put the right coils back. You don't need anything but the stock coils. Have you tried adjusting the pitch of the flippers? Adjusting the flippers themselves can give you that little bit of extra power you need.

A clean game with fresh flippers should have no problem with that ramp. However, the shot needs to be clean.

Quoted from Craig:

My biggest problem is hitting the right ramp with enough velocity to make it to the POA consistently. (For the record, I have completely new flipper assemblies with the blue coils,

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from ab3:

I also put a small piece of foam at the very top of the deflector

I removed the deflector entirely and then put "Dead Drop Foam" on the back metal bracket:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131
That made a huge difference.

Quoted from IndianaPwns:

I'm actually making an interactive tutorial

Sounds great! Let us know about it when it's posted.

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Does ij4 count its a Indiana Jones pinball

You are most welcome to be here, but it could get confusing talking about two very different machines. Also, I'd like to avoid having this thread deteriorate into another IJ vs. IJ4 contest.

Quoted from Crispin:

I can hit the ramp easily when it doesn't mean anything.

I certainly know what that's like! I've appreciated the input, but I still haven't seen an answer to my original question. To those of who you are good at hitting that right ramp consistently with enough force to carry the ball to the POA: how do you make that shot? For example, from which flipper? After cradling the ball or with the ball in motion from the in-lane? Etc. I can make the shot periodically, but I can't seem to do it consistently. Thanks!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

First off, put the right coils back. You don't need anything but the stock coils. Have you tried adjusting the pitch of the flippers? Adjusting the flippers themselves can give you that little bit of extra power you need.
A clean game with fresh flippers should have no problem with that ramp. However, the shot needs to be clean.

The blue coils are the "right coils".
IJ came with them out of the factory.

#19 11 years ago

HA! I thought they were orange. Carry on then.

The blue coils are the "right coils".
IJ came with them out of the factory.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Have you tried adjusting the pitch of the flippers?

I experimented with this a bit when I put in new flipper assemblies. (They were a great deal, so it made sense to go that route instead of rebuilding the existing assemblies. These have the standard blue coils.) Can you describe how your flippers sit vis-à-vis the two small holes at the bottom of the playfield? I think my flippers are pretty much dead center on those holes.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I certainly know what that's like! I've appreciated the input, but I still haven't seen an answer to my original question. To those of who you are good at hitting that right ramp consistently with enough force to carry the ball to the POA: how do you make that shot? For example, from which flipper? After cradling the ball or with the ball in motion from the in-lane? Etc. I can make the shot periodically, but I can't seem to do it consistently. Thanks!

The best way to hit that ramp is with the left flipper. Are you getting a smooth transition from the inlane to the flipper? I seem to hit this shot best with motion from the inlane. If you're getting too much bounce from inlane to flipper, it will make that action much more difficult.
If you are getting some bounce there you will need to adjust the inlane guard slightly to get a smooth transfer to the flipper. I can make a backhand shot from the right flipper but since I stepped down to the orange coils this has become slightly more difficult.

#22 11 years ago

Yes, that usually the way I do (or try to do) it. I think the transition to the flipper is smooth. Perhaps it just boils down to the fact that I am not very good! In any case, I haven't had much success in trying to make the shot from a controlled, cradled position. I can sometimes make it from the right flipper if the ball is coming directly to the flipper (on the middle to right-hand side) and not through the in-lane.

#23 11 years ago

I can try and take a pic tonight.

Quoted from Craig:

Can you describe how your flippers sit vis-à-vis the two small holes at the bottom of the playfield?

#24 11 years ago

I have no problems making the right ramp moving or trapped, so check that your left flipper assembly isn't binding. It should have about 1/8" up and down play with the playfield. For the saucer, I put foam on the deflector and dropped the scoop from underneath. I also changed my right coil to orange (still easily makes the left ramp and the left orbit all the way around when active). I very seldom get a bounce out, almost never. My biggest problem was solving the POA. Finally used some drop dead foam on the inside of the left tab, along with some felt tape on the sides of the top rollovers. Now it's dialed in, but it took a lot of time.

Also, I have the back legs all the way up and on rubber feet to maximize pitch.

#25 11 years ago

IJ is a great game ,TOP 5 OF ALL TIME PERIOD. It will never leave my collection. I get a kickout from the mode hole about 1-7 shots .I tried a little foam on the deflector but it made it worse. I am listening to the solutions and will try them. Thanks

#26 11 years ago

So I don't have an IJ. I have a virtual cab though with an IJ gun launcher on it, so this seems like a good spot to bring this up. After seeing this mod (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-n-roses-mods#post-583387) someone did to their GNR cab gun where they added real wood sides to the grip I wondered if it was possible with IJ. (I also thought masking off the gun and painting the mounting plate was a really nice move, check that out too.)

It doesn't look though like they modeled the IJ gun after a real one though, just someone's quick impression of one. So I'm not sure it's possible to find pre-made grips that will fit properly. Anyone have any thoughts on the gun model?

#27 11 years ago

I'd love to be part of the club, but the price of this one is starting to get ridiculous. I played one for the second time at MGC (first time was at the PHoF), but since I really couldn't hear any of the music or call-outs (very loud there), I actually got bored with it after 3 or 4 plays. I bet it really rocks once you get into the modes and can actually hear the music, call-outs and movie quotes.

#28 11 years ago

Mod start mods:

1.) Drop dead foam
2.) Extending the holes in the bracket and moving it back
3.) Lowering the red plastic the ball falls into
4.) Adjusting the bracket so it deflects the ball down appropriately.

Depending on the machine, a combination of 1-4 is required, but once it's dialed in, the shot provides a very satisfying clunk.

#29 11 years ago

Ah....Indiana Jones. My very first pinball machine. (And still my favorite).

That game is responsible for the insanity that my basement has become...

Pete

#30 11 years ago

Anyone see the one for sale in Ohio on CL?

#31 11 years ago

1) install drop dead foam on all sides
2)lower the saucer via nuts on the bottom of playfield.
3) completely remove deflector bracket
4) i have a 11629 coil on the left flipper and a 11630 coil on the right flipper
5) I couldn't get my ball to land with the cliffy protector. My mode hole is worn a little bit.
6) feet in the back should be all the way up and all the way down in the front. Raising too high
will make the POA not function properly. If it moves too fast, the ball with no roll left or right correctly.

I have no issues with my machine. I have pictures if you want to see them.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

1) install drop dead foam on all sides
2)lower the saucer via nuts on the bottom of playfield.
3) completely remove deflector bracket
4) i have a 11629 coil on the left flipper and a 11630 coil on the right flipper
5) take off cliffy protector, the ball can't land with it there.
6) feet in the back should be all the way up and all the way down in the front. Raising too high
will make the POA not function properly. If it moves too fast, the ball with no roll left or right correctly.
I have no issues with my machine. I have pictures if you want to see them.

Wait, you have 11630 red coil on the right flipper? Isn't that too weak to make the left ramp shot?
I went with the orange 15411.

#33 11 years ago

Wait, you have 11630 red coil on the right flipper? Isn't that too weak to make the left ramp shot? Can you backhand the right ramp with that coil?
I went with the orange 15411.

Can you backhand the right ramp with that coil?
Just curious. Even more curious as to why I just quoted myself

#34 11 years ago

No I dont belive that I can make that right ramp backhanded. Maybe I need to refer to the manual and upgrade! I can easily make the left ramp.

#35 11 years ago

Looking at my manual it looks as though 11629 is the coil that is supposed to be used on both sides. It only says the left side is 11629 but I assume they are identical??

#36 11 years ago

details weakest to strongest...

FL-11753 Yellow - Used with short flippers and close shots

FL-11722 Green - Used for close shots near drop targets

FL-11630 Red - The standard, most commonly used coil

FL-15411 Orange - Used for long playfield shots

FL-11629 Blue - Used for long shots and high ramps

My guess is the 11629 was swapped out to keep from breaking drop targets. Mine are heavily mylared now and brand new. They dont break with the 29 on the left though. hmmmm...

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

details weakest to strongest...
FL-11753 Yellow - Used with short flippers and close shots
FL-11722 Green - Used for close shots near drop targets
FL-11630 Red - The standard, most commonly used coil
FL-15411 Orange - Used for long playfield shots
FL-11629 Blue - Used for long shots and high ramps
My guess is the 11629 was swapped out to keep from breaking drop targets. Mine are heavily mylared now and brand new. They dont break with the 29 on the left though. hmmmm...

Yeah the blue coils were stock for both flippers. I was running into a problem where the ball would often fly off the wireform after hitting the left ramp. I'm sure that the newly waxed playfield and ramp were contributing factors. I read on a thread somewhere that some IJ owners would downgrade the flipper coils to the orange ones. This would reduce the ball velocity enough so it wouldn't fly off and I'm sure saves some wear and tear on the drops targets.
Either way in my opinion the blue coils are way too strong for my game. A more aggressive playfield slope might warrant the blue ones. But I'm at 6.5 degrees and the orange ones are plenty strong enough to get the job done. Your mileage may vary but I'm sticking with 15411's!

#38 11 years ago

I rewaxing the main part of the playfield and waxed the right ramp. I did make the POA once on command afterward, but I have concluded that my real problem is just that I am lousy at making that shot cleanly. One of these days when I have more time, I am going to take the glass off and practice that single shot repeatedly.

Strangely, I have far less difficulty making the mode shot. At least I am fairly good at something!

P.S. I checked the flippers, and there is plenty of vertical play (1/8 inch or so).

#39 11 years ago

When you're through with the POA, is it supposed to recenter itself?
Tonight I had a game where I had it tipped all the way to the right when the ball exited it and it pretty much stayed to the right. Upon power off and on it reset to its normal position.
Thoughts?

#40 11 years ago

make sure your POA is not loose anywhere. I worked on one last week where the back two screws on the bottom of the poa had worked themselves loose and the entire mechanism was not tight to the rotating pin that controls it. If you remove the glass and it does not move easily with your hand you can skip this. Sometimes this is an error that occurs if the machine does not figure out that the ball has left the POA or missed it altogether. Sometimes if the playfiel is not centered correctly left to right the pin that stops the ball and allows it to enter the POA will not rise back up to stop it. Make sure your pin in the back has free movement up and down.

#41 11 years ago

wow craig u live in durham, my parents live in cary. If I visit them anytime soon Ill give you a shout and come check out your machines.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

make sure your POA is not loose anywhere. I worked on one last week where the back two screws on the bottom of the poa had worked themselves loose and the entire mechanism was not tight to the rotating pin that controls it. If you remove the glass and it does not move easily with your hand you can skip this. Sometimes this is an error that occurs if the machine does not figure out that the ball has left the POA or missed it altogether. Sometimes if the playfiel is not centered correctly left to right the pin that stops the ball and allows it to enter the POA will not rise back up to stop it. Make sure your pin in the back has free movement up and down.

Yeah mine is nice and tight. The pin wouldn't come up to stop the ball just as you described because the playfield was tilted all the way to the right.
Power off and on and all was good. Hopefully it's not a common occurrence.

#43 11 years ago

When you're through with the POA, is it supposed to recenter itself?
Tonight I had a game where I had it tipped all the way to the right when the ball exited it and it pretty much stayed to the right. Upon power off and on it reset to its normal position.
Thoughts?

This happens to me rarely (every three hundred games maybe?) and is unnerving making me think something is wrong, but after a restart it always goes back to normal. I figured it was just a software quirk and stopped worrying about it.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

If I visit them anytime soon Ill give you a shout and come check out your machines.

Sure thing. You have quite a nice collection yourself! Can't imagine when I'll next be in Kansas, unfortunately.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I installed a cliffy protector ring doing that has almost
become impossible also. The ball just will not stay in it's hole.

I made the deflector mount holes slotted so you can adjust the protector forward and back. The *only* reason my protector would have any effect on the ball locking in the saucer is if the inner diameter of the protector is hanging into the saucer at all. Again, this is what the slotted screw holes are for. Line the protector up so a hint of wood is still showing inside the circle at the front of the saucer. Installed this way there should be no affect on the balls ability to stick. It then becomes the much more common deflector bent upwards issue. Bending the scoop deflector back down towards the saucer and spacing the kickout down helps tremendously, in my experience.

#46 11 years ago

If you guys could change anything about the game, what would it be?

For me, I wish you could add time to some of the modes (mode start shot?)

I love trying to complete them because there are some rarely heard sound clips (try falling through a hole in the path of adventure during steal the stones.) I don't want to jack the timers way up, I wish there were some gameplay involved here.

#47 11 years ago

This is my favorite pin of my collection and perhaps my favorite of any pin I've played. I think it has a fantastic mix of playfield toys, mechanics, shot variety. The art and sound package are second to none and the integration of the movies into game play is stellar.

My only modest negatives are the mode start is problematic (I've used foam and lowered plastic and it helps a lot)and the ball can get into a slow back and forth on the slings occasionally.

I've not played it much lately but I'm going to rack up a few games tonight.

This is a fantastic pin and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Dave

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

If you guys could change anything about the game, what would it be?

I like being able to choose to start a mode with each ball in STTNG. I wish IJ had that feature.

One of the things that I like most about IJ is the fact that it is relatively non-linear. You can approach the game in multiple ways, which adds a lot of variety. Also, I agree with dmesserly that the integration of the theme is outstanding. IJ wasn't my first pin, but it is the one that hooked me on this hobby. It's just a shame that so few of these exist in the wild. I am fortunate that I had the chance to play one while it was still available at an area arcade.

#49 11 years ago

Hey I am an IJ owner now! Woo!

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

Hey I am an IJ owner now! Woo!

Congrats! My dad used to spend winters in Chandler, so I know it fairly well. All the best!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.95
$ 29.00
$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

14,000 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-owners-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.