IJ optos not working

By Jimmyhonda

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So, I bought and installed a new opto set for the left ramp on my Williams IJ because the opto wasn’t registering in switch test. I’m sad to say, that didn’t fix it. I also reseated all connectors on opto board and on CPU board. Any ideas what to do now? Thanks for any help.

#2 4 years ago

Check the switch matrix. Row and column the opto switch is on. Check for broken wire at another switch.

Then the LM339 on the opto driver board.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Sorry, newbie question, how do you “check” a switch matrix? And where is it located? Thank you.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Sorry, newbie question, how do you “check” a switch matrix? And where is it located? Thank you.

You PM'd me a question about this and the LM339. Here is my response there.

Since this is a bit confusing, I don't think you can check an integrated circuit on a circuit board, number LM339. Which is typically used for switches.

Now in the manual. There is a page with the switch matrix on it. You can download the manual from https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl if you don't have it.

The switches in your machine are wired in a way to reduce wiring called the switch matrix. Columns and rows, usually 8 switches by 8 switches, making a square.

Now on a row or column, if a wire breaks off of a switch, a switch or switches associated with it, won't work past the break.

These videos may help :

#5 4 years ago

Thanks LTG!!

#6 4 years ago

Hello, so I checked the switch matrix and the opto switch that is not working is at the top of the switch matrix. All the switches below it work and all the switches to the left and right of it work. Any suggestions where to go from here? Thank you!

#7 4 years ago

Hi Jimmy,You mean one opto is out/not working? The switch matrix chart goes by column and rows.that opto that’s not working how did you test it?

Howell,Mi. I was in Saginaw back in dec.2019

#8 4 years ago

Lol. Small world. So, I bought and installed a new opto set for the left ramp on my Williams IJ because the opto wasn’t registering in switch test. I’m sad to say, that didn’t fix it. I also reseated all connectors on opto board and on CPU board. Not sure where to go from here.

#9 4 years ago

Ok did you install that opto in the correct order? Like the 2 wires on transmitter(one with bulb) and the receiver 2 wires soldered on correctly?

#10 4 years ago

Yes. I went very slow and soldered each wire to the correct places. I installed one opto at a time.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Yes. I went very slow and soldered each wire to the correct places. I installed one opto at a time.

Ok,when you tested the optos did you put the game in switch test menus and place a business card in between the transmitter and receiver to see if it registers on the screen?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Did they ever work ? If not may have been wired wrong before you replaced them.

If they worked. Then I'd go after the LM339 on the opto driver board next.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did they ever work ? If not may have been wired wrong before you replaced them.
If they worked. Then I'd go after the LM339 on the opto driver board next.

Yeah,Could be the opto board and those darn LM339 IC”s are a pain in the ass!! Papa LGT

#14 4 years ago

Yes, I tested it in switch test and it doesn’t work. The wiring Is correct because the left and right ramp optos are wired the same and the right ramp opto works, but the left ramp opto does not. So the LM339 may need to be replaced? Is that something that can be soldered in? Or does the entire opto board need to be replaced? Thank you.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Yes, I tested it in switch test and it doesn’t work. The wiring Is correct because the left and right ramp optos are wired the same and the right ramp opto works, but the left ramp opto does not. So the LM339 may need to be replaced? Is that something that can be soldered in? Or does the entire opto board need to be replaced? Thank you.

They are very tiny IC”s on the opto board under the playfield if you have the correct solder tools you can do it but if not it’s pretty hard to do because the the legs are very small and very close together

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

They are very tiny IC”s on the opto board under the playfield if you have the correct solder tools you can do it but if not it’s pretty hard to do because the the legs are very small and very close together

So, I switched out the opto board from my Shadow to my IJ and the left ramp opto still doesn’t work. So, I believe that leaves the connector or the opto(brand new) as being the problem. Any suggestions how how I can narrow this down even more to find the issue? Thank you!!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, I switched out the opto board from my Shadow to my IJ and the left ramp opto still doesn’t work. So, I believe that leaves the connector or the opto(brand new) as being the problem. Any suggestions how how I can narrow this down even more to find the issue? Thank you!!

Are you referring to the the small opto board or the larger opto board? It is possible that you have a bad chip on your CPU. You can jumper the pins on the CPU to verify if the CPU is working, or if it a cable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
$ 1,419.00
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
14,000 (OBO)
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-optos-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.